IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy- God Defend New Zealand (Aotearoa)

samurai_sarah

14 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Just got around to watch the wedding episode. I'll bury my head in shame but I teared up when Jboob entered the dressing room, telling Jinger how beautiful she is and that he prayed about this all his life. "I love her so much and I'm so happy for her".

I know, I know... but it was still sweet and the first real emotions coming from a Duggar in a loooooong time. 

Moreover, it really showed how emotionally detached Jichelle is from all her kids. There's some real emotions and tears of joy going on between Jinger and Boob. Then Jichelle joins and talks to Jinger the way you'd talk to your neighbor on her wedding day, and gives her a hug that's so forced and fake it made me tear up again. Only this time of sadness. 

It's all relative. I can see why the emotional detachment of a quiverfull mother is important to discuss, but it's hard for me to tell just based on THAT. I found her dad very disgusting on her wedding day, simply because my dad does NOT talk to me like that, nor does my mother. I love them and they love me, but we have never been the sentimental type of family. When I tried to explain this to my MIL, she seemed to think that meant I need LOTS of big huge hugs and emails saying "I love you." Honestly it just grosses me out and I don't crave that sort of PDA. To me love is more about other things that aren't so obvious. And yes, I side hug my parents (if I hug them at all) because this is what I am comfortable with. This wasn't the case when I was a little kid and needed more physical affection, and no one ever TOLD me to side hug; it's just what I chose. haha.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, smallestneal said:

As a man, this mindset is super confusing to me because 

1. I feel like I'd figure out pretty quickly that my wife/girlfriend/whatever COULD open jars by herself (I come into the kitchen and find her making herself lunch with pickles and mayo? BUSTED) and 

2. The things I hope to be "needed" for or thought useful for by a partner are...deeper than that? I'd hope that my partner kept me around for stuff other than just my capacity to be a useful appliance. Stuff like affection, partnership, doing half of the work required to run an effective household, etc. THAT is what I want to be "needed" for. I just don't understand the notion that men want women who are totally helpless because, I mean, I have my OWN life to run. I don't want to be responsible for a whole separate adult; I want a partner. 

Admittedly, I'm not straight/all that invested in so-called "traditional" masculinity, so maybe there are a number of men who want this. Gross.

It is a sick and truly illogical mindset - one that in a way, dehumanised the males in the community by making their cultural value in the family unit about what they could physically do for or provide for the women rather than being partners. I feel bad for them, and the dehumanisation was sadly mutual - women in my community were valued for their physical attractiveness, breeding abilities, home making skills and little else. I don't think I saw a single example of the partnership model of relationships when I was growing up.

That said, I do believe that the only way the men involved in this dynamic could have been legitimately fooled by the faux dependency were the ones who wanted to be, or those who were so self absorbed that they didn't notice that their wives and daughters could function reasonably well when they weren't around to open jars etc. Sadly, there were plenty of both on the ground during my childhood. 

Also oddly, many of the women seemed to enjoy playing helpless and being told what to do. My mother is (essentially) out of the group, but she still plays helpless with her husband, and when he's not around, expects me to take care of her by opening doors and water bottles etc.

I've been quietly out for 20 years, and I don't really get it, never have, and I doubt I ever will. I'm just too logical to really fathom where they are coming from or truly grasp the emotional payoffs.

@eveandadam I grew up and live in Canada, but these behaviours were not typical in the larger population of the area I grew up in.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I have a question about what you are calling hot dogs. In the midwest, where I was raised, hot dogs (frankfurters, etc) were what you bought at a ball game, made by Oscar Meyer, Eckrich, Bar S, etc) and much different from the forms of sausage (bratwurst, mettwurst, Italian Sausage) that tended to have more spices in them, or were smoked (like kielbasa). I've noticed that, to people in the Pacific Northwest, a hot dog is any elongated form of meat, usually served on a bun. 

Yes, I am concerned where this discussion may go. However, the image I'm getting is of a stadium or kids party style cheap hot dog in an omlette, and it isn't a pretty picture. I'm really hoping it's a breakfast sausage, like Bob Evans or something. 

Nope...regular hot dogs...singing...Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner, that is what I'd truly like to beeeeee 'cause if I was an Oscar Meyer weiner, everyone would be in love with me.....

7 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I have a question about what you are calling hot dogs. In the midwest, where I was raised, hot dogs (frankfurters, etc) were what you bought at a ball game, made by Oscar Meyer, Eckrich, Bar S, etc) and much different from the forms of sausage (bratwurst, mettwurst, Italian Sausage) that tended to have more spices in them, or were smoked (like kielbasa). I've noticed that, to people in the Pacific Northwest, a hot dog is any elongated form of meat, usually served on a bun. 

Yes, I am concerned where this discussion may go. However, the image I'm getting is of a stadium or kids party style cheap hot dog in an omlette, and it isn't a pretty picture. I'm really hoping it's a breakfast sausage, like Bob Evans or something. 

I live in the PNW, (well Canada in BC, but also lived in Seattle for several years too) and most people would consider hot dogs (i.e. weiners, frankfurters) to be hotdogs, and sausages are sausages (bratwurst, Italian sausage, Chorizo, etc.). Occasionally here in Canada sausages are called bangers, but that's just because of the British influence. There are also "smokies" which would be the kielbasa kind, and yes sometimes we eat those on a bun but they are usually just served with mustard and sauerkraut and usually grilled before eating. They are served a little different than a regular hotdog, and you would never put ketchup on them.

Also, because there are so many hipsters out here in the PNW, we like to fancy things up...so Ye Local Hot Dog Bar will probably serve a variety of artisan sausages on homebaked buns but still call them hotdogs.

However now, as I'm a sucker for semantics, I've alway liked to make it a point to tell people that it's only a hot dog if it's on a bun, otherwise it's just a weiner. :pb_lol:

Sounds to me like a hot dog omelette is just that...weiners and eggs!

*edited because somehow I triple posted???

11 hours ago, 19BabyGerkins said:

Oh totally! When my uncle(a pastor) finally got married, the ladies sang a parody "glory glory hallelujah there is a Mrs. _______" and they said Now YOU can cook for him. 

That totally reminds me of how all the married ladies in The Sopranos are cooking for that awful catholic priest.

14 hours ago, luxfilia said:

It's all relative. I can see why the emotional detachment of a quiverfull mother is important to discuss, but it's hard for me to tell just based on THAT. I found her dad very disgusting on her wedding day, simply because my dad does NOT talk to me like that, nor does my mother. I love them and they love me, but we have never been the sentimental type of family. When I tried to explain this to my MIL, she seemed to think that meant I need LOTS of big huge hugs and emails saying "I love you." Honestly it just grosses me out and I don't crave that sort of PDA. To me love is more about other things that aren't so obvious. And yes, I side hug my parents (if I hug them at all) because this is what I am comfortable with. This wasn't the case when I was a little kid and needed more physical affection, and no one ever TOLD me to side hug; it's just what I chose. haha.

Believe me, I've been following them long enough that I don't have to base my assumption on just this scene. Their entire public presence supports the thesis. The wedding ep is just another example of how cultish believes can harm a genuine parent-child bond. 

7 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

I live in the PNW, (well Canada in BC, but also lived in Seattle for several years too) and most people would consider hot dogs (i.e. weiners, frankfurters) to be hotdogs, and sausages are sausages (bratwurst, Italian sausage, Chorizo, etc.). Occasionally here in Canada sausages are called bangers, but that's just because of the British influence. There are also "smokies" which would be the kielbasa kind, and yes sometimes we eat those on a bun but they are usually just served with mustard and sauerkraut and usually grilled before eating. They are served a little different than a regular hotdog, and you would never put ketchup on them.

Also, because there are so many hipsters out here in the PNW, we like to fancy things up...so Ye Local Hot Dog Bar will probably serve a variety of artisan sausages on homebaked buns but still call them hotdogs.

However now, as I'm a sucker for semantics, I've alway liked to make it a point to tell people that it's only a hot dog if it's on a bun, otherwise it's just a weiner. :pb_lol:

i have never called a sausage a banger and i have been here my entire life 

10 minutes ago, nst said:

Yeah, nobody really calls them bangers in conversation here in Canada, but I have seen them on menus before, and it's expected that you will know what it means. But a banger is a particular type of sausage, close to bratwurst, and not a breakfast sausage type sausage and definitely not a weiner. Not a fan of bangers myself.

8 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

12 minutes ago, nst said:

I agree with nst - I've lived in  western Canada my whole life and I've never called nor heard anyone else call a sausage a banger.

And I absolutely eat my smokies in a bun with ketchup!

17 minutes ago, nst said:

Definitely a British influence. Peter Sellers and Sophia Lauren sang a song about Italian food vs bangers and mash. A long long time ago.

1 hour ago, nst said:

I'm in the East and we don't call sausages bangers either. Although if you're on George Street at a certain hour, they're called street meat and hence came the commandment "Thou shall not eat street meat." 

This is what i was going to say, but better. Here in the pnw hot dogs are still what they were in the midwest, but everywhere here also offers fancy sausage alternatives. I couldn't wait for a hot dog when i came back to the us after living in the UK for a while. I was never able to find an all beef hot dog in England or Scotland (I'm not a fan of pork, which seemed to be standard there).

Weiners and eggs. Oh jeez. Are we talking about food or fellowship? :brainbleach:

I'm glad to hear that many people in the PNW know the difference between a hot dog and a sausage. My experience has been more around northwest Oregon, and with close friends raised in southwest Washington. It may be a family or smaller area thing, like our asking for a pizza with green onions and mangos where I was raised. Other parts of the Midwest called them green peppers, but when I was growing up, you could call any pizza shop in town and ask for mangos, and you'd get the green peppers, as you expected.

1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm glad to hear that many people in the PNW know the difference between a hot dog and a sausage. My experience has been more around northwest Oregon, and with close friends raised in southwest Washington. It may be a family or smaller area thing, like our asking for a pizza with green onions and mangos where I was raised. Other parts of the Midwest called them green peppers, but when I was growing up, you could call any pizza shop in town and ask for mangos, and you'd get the green peppers, as you expected.

mangoes??? wtf, that is a totally different fruit than green peppers!! so weird.

7 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Weiners and eggs. Oh jeez. Are we talking about food or fellowship? :brainbleach:

Good food sometimes leads to good fellowship :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Now that you mention that I remember as a kid here in Southern Indiana  we called green peppers mangos....the more I think about it, it's interesting how names of things evolve thru the years.

13 minutes ago, karen77 said:

mangoes??? wtf, that is a totally different fruit than green peppers!! so weird.

So, I did some googling and found this:

http://www.thepacker.com/commodity-fruits/mangoes/The-great-green-pepper-mango-mystery-244267351.html

"A recent Wall Street Journal article sent me on a mango rabbit trail, which lead me to Wikipedia and this illuminating factoid:

“When mangoes were first imported to the American colonies in the 17th century, they had to be pickled due to lack of refrigeration. Other fruits were also pickled and came to be called ‘mangoes’, especially bell peppers, and by the 18th century, the word ‘mango’ became a verb meaning “to pickle.’”

Cased closed."

Quotes are from the article and not my own words. 

12 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

My midwest is Ohio - never heard mangoes as a synonym for green peppers there or in Chicago. Which state was this mango confusion in? The midwest is huge so regional differences can be quite marked.

My PNW is primarily Portland/NW Oregon and some Seattle, with some close friends from central WA rodeo country. Since your area is near Portland, you might be familiar with Zach's Shack and Ottos (both in SE), which both differentiate between hot dogs (such good hot dogs) and sausages. If you haven't tried both places, I highly recommend them.

44 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I couldn't wait for a hot dog when i came back to the us after living in the UK for a while. I was never able to find an all beef hot dog in England or Scotland

Just a PSA: One can usually find them in halal stores in the UK. Chicken hot dogs are pretty standard in most supermarkets.

51 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm in the East and we don't call sausages bangers either. Although if you're on George Street at a certain hour, they're called street meat and hence came the commandment "Thou shall not eat street meat." 

In the NE US, and we totally call street vendor hot dogs street meat too, but I find them delicious!! 

In my area we also usually call each sausage by its type, i.e. brats. This also may just be a family thing but we also call kielbasa Polish sausage. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Aw, George Street at a certain hour!! 

I haven't been to the rock in over 5 years... 

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. You just sent me on a huge nostalgia trip!

2 minutes ago, Cassia said:

Aw, George Street at a certain hour!! 

I haven't been to the rock in over 5 years... 

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. You just sent me on a huge nostalgia trip!

Hahah yeah a certain time not to eat the sausages from Long Dick's Emporium or whatever happens to be kicking around. ;) Otherwise we party till 3! 

54 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

So, I did some googling and found this:

http://www.thepacker.com/commodity-fruits/mangoes/The-great-green-pepper-mango-mystery-244267351.html

"A recent Wall Street Journal article sent me on a mango rabbit trail, which lead me to Wikipedia and this illuminating factoid:

“When mangoes were first imported to the American colonies in the 17th century, they had to be pickled due to lack of refrigeration. Other fruits were also pickled and came to be called ‘mangoes’, especially bell peppers, and by the 18th century, the word ‘mango’ became a verb meaning “to pickle.’”

Cased closed."

Quotes are from the article and not my own words. 

That is really interesting!!

In my neck of the woods (PNW), you'd probably get actual mangoes on your pizza if you ordered that.

Random aside: anyone else here from the Mid-Atlantic/upper South in their late twenties or early thirties and remember kids being called "bangers"? It was an insult and was short for "headbanger" and it meant you wore black tee shirts and were alternative. We used it all the time in middle school and it was both the worst accusation one could receive while also making one quite the object of fearful admiration. 

Whenever I mention this to anyone else they look at me like I'm crazy.

I grew up in California in the 80s, bangers meant someone was in a gang. 

I always knew a hot dog was a hot dog and a sausage was a sausage. The terms were never interchangeable. Even if you bought a polish sausage on bun, you would say you had a polish sausage dog but never a hot dog. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived