IGNORED

Pickles and Hairspray

CorruptionInc.

Oh. Okay. I get it now. I thought I was reading two different comments by her, but one of the comments was someone tagging her.

Anyway, yeah. She's really something else.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Oh. Okay. I get it now. I thought I was reading two different comments by her, but one of the comments was someone tagging her.

Anyway, yeah. She's really something else.

Yeah, sorry, I blurred out the name of someone.  But it's still pretty crazy. 

I've followed that page for awhile.  She's a great resource for quick updates on the Duggars.  That Rachel Dolezal post, however, makes me rethink her.  She contradicts herself.  Then she mentions she's African-American, which I'm pretty sure she's not (based on posts she's had in the past).  Lastly, it is a huge problem that Dolezal is trying to pass for black, in my opinion.  By doing that, she's taking up space and using her notoriety and privilege to pretend to have the experience of being oppressed by systemic racism.  In my opinion, that space she's occupied is taken away from an actual person of color whose voice should be heard. Pickles wants the notoriety of being a progressive voice, but her take on the RD situation says she's anything but.  Not that it ultimately matters, but my frustration with that post is what caused me to question her.  

2 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Lastly, it is a huge problem that Dolezal is trying to pass for black, in my opinion.  By doing that, she's taking up space and using her notoriety and privilege to pretend to have the experience of being oppressed by systemic racism.  In my opinion, that space she's occupied is taken away from an actual person of color whose voice should be heard. 

Yeah, this is it right here. "Progressives" want to pass this situation off as akin to Transgenders when it's just not. It's a white person literally taking privilege away from people of color. She took a position as head of a large Black organization when she wasn't black, and she had not lived the Black experience. I am white, but a few of my Black friends were really upset when the whole thing came to light. This is cultural appropriation to the nth degree.

1 hour ago, buggers said:

Yeah, this is it right here. "Progressives" want to pass this situation off as akin to Transgenders when it's just not. It's a white person literally taking privilege away from people of color. She took a position as head of a large Black organization when she wasn't black, and she had not lived the Black experience. I am white, but a few of my Black friends were really upset when the whole thing came to light. This is cultural appropriation to the nth degree.

I didn't follow her story closely, but what I did read annoyed me to no end.  Hey lady, you are not Black, so please just STFU and move out of the way. 

23 hours ago, DuggarsandDragons said:

I am so glad someone caught that "Don't see color and racism will go bye bye" "Rachel is just being her authentic self!!" crap. I saw it (MULTIPLE TIMES from her) the other day and my jaw dropped.

In my opinion color shouldn't matter but it does. It has always mattered trough out  history.  Having those uncomfortable conversations is how change happens, and it does not happen fast. Everybody sees color even if  they don't know it.

25 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

In my opinion color shouldn't matter but it does. It has always mattered trough out  history.  Having those uncomfortable conversations is how change happens, and it does not happen fast. Everybody sees color even if  they don't know it.

In my family science class, we've defined white privilege as being able to think that color doesn't matter. 

The Rachel Dolezal story really bothers me and all the people who tried to say it was okay. It also bothers me when white students get all in a tizzy because an African American student supposedly gets picked over the white student for a scholarship, or a graduate student position because of their color. Maybe it's because that's never happened to me (I'm white, for reference), but gosh, they are still dealing with issues from slavery, which was abolished hundreds of years ago! 

Here is a rare case of where someone did not see color. I thought it was pretty cute: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/34627926/tonight-at-11-the-worldwide-buzz-over-a-colorblind-5-year-olds-hair

10 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Well?  Did the teacher play along?

The article says that she did. :)

Lydia said on Wednesday, when the boys went back to school, their teacher played along, pretending she couldn't tell them apart - just like Jax had planned.

"She said by the end of the day, the girls (in the class) were also switching names."

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The article says that she did. :)

Lydia said on Wednesday, when the boys went back to school, their teacher played along, pretending she couldn't tell them apart - just like Jax had planned.

"She said by the end of the day, the girls (in the class) were also switching names."

That sounds like such a fun day!  Kids need these things like this in their lives.

Whenever someone says "I don't see colour" I start to see red (haha punny) 

But really, it's like thanks for invalidating a part of my identity to prove that you're not racist (plot twist; doing that is racist).

Also, it's a privilege not not have to worry about how the colour of your skin affects opportunities, safety and everyday life. 

I know that most of FJ already knows this...I just like to rant. 

Speaking of the "I don't see color" lie that many ignorant white people say- did anyone catch Tomi Lahren on Trevor Noah's show a few months ago? 

She's pretty much trying to say she's not a racist (spoiler: she is) and says the quote "I don't see color". The audience laughs and Trevor asks her "You don't see color?? So what do you do at a stop light?" I almost spit out my drink. 

On 4/10/2017 at 10:32 PM, Gillyweed said:

In my family science class, we've defined white privilege as being able to think that color doesn't matter. 

My sister's girls  are young women of color.  My daughter is as well.  My brother went on a rant a while back how Black Lives Matter is a fraud, white privilege is a lie. His daughter and my sister's oldest just sat there dumbstruck. I had to hold my breath and walk out of the room.  Making a scene would have been a really bad idea. He has such an ability to remain calm and gas light me and I get really nuts and loud.  I get all apoplectic while he remains quiet. Also, we were all visiting my 92  year old mom. Upsetting her while I smacked my brother upside the head would be a poor choice.  However now please cover your ears while I.....

screaming-smiley.png

That sarcastic post she made about Josie playing piano is pretty funny considering her posting history here.

10 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

That sarcastic post she made about Josie playing piano is pretty funny considering her posting history here.

"Josie in Danger!" ....from a plastic fork.

In all honesty though, I didn't really like that sarcastic post, as it seemed to be in response to the picture of Duggar kids riding bikes helmet-less. Kids can get traumatic brain injuries from hitting their heads while not wearing helmets on bikes. I'm not one to make a big deal about other people's kids not wearing helmets and I did see the humor in her post mocking overreactions, but I'm not sure I agree with making light of the issue.

My male best friend is black. I'd never really factored his skin colour into anything because he was just *insert name*. Like of course I'm aware he's black and it's not like it's never mentioned (for instance I'm a fake tan lover and he'll always joke that I'm trying to be like him and also I'm not afraid to say that I'm jealous that his heritage has given him such amazing skin! Mean while I'm past white with red blotches all over my face) . But it's never been any different of a relationship with him to that of the rest of my friends who are all white (Northern Ireland isn't as diverse as other places).

However, I realised at around 16 and again at 18 that people don't always have the same outlook as me. 

At 16 we were just walking down a street and some old lady looked us up and down and said to the woman with her 'what a shame, lovely Irish girl would be better with an Irish boy'. My first thought was just what the hell, he's  as Irish as me, even more so because I hold a UK passport. Secondly I just thought it was a horrible thought that I would be considered in a relationship with him, not because he's black but because he's like my brother! 

The second at 18 made me very angry. He was my date to my school formal and of course we got a professional photograph taken. When we got the photos sent out they had lightened his skin to match my fake tan that was about  8 shades lighter!! We know it was lightened and not just the lights because they forgot to do one of his hands. It really tainted what should be a beautiful photo to look back on 

• 2 months later...

Looks like FJ got a shoutout on pickle's page. 

I apologize for my ugly censorship, I couldn't figure out a nice way to do it. LIMG_5846.thumb.PNG.df8a0d79c44b67db8675355d3b26bb07.PNG

Pickles can shove her claims about not "excommunicating" anyone up her fat ass. She's blocked plenty of people, some who were even on her side, myself included. (long story that includes Pickles talking about setting up a GoFundMe because running a FB page is soooo haaaaaard and time-consuming).

I used to like her page, but I find her snark has just become nastier and nastier of late, punctuated with her hatred of Trump at every possible opportunity. 

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Lol she mad because she can't follow rules.

I don't think it is that she can't follow rules so much as she just makes them up as she goes along, and can't remember what she's said and done before. 

On April 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM, ivyalba said:

The Rachel Dolezal story really bothers me and all the people who tried to say it was okay. It also bothers me when white students get all in a tizzy because an African American student supposedly gets picked over the white student for a scholarship, or a graduate student position because of their color. Maybe it's because that's never happened to me (I'm white, for reference), but gosh, they are still dealing with issues from slavery, which was abolished hundreds of years ago! 

Here is a rare case of where someone did not see color. I thought it was pretty cute: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/34627926/tonight-at-11-the-worldwide-buzz-over-a-colorblind-5-year-olds-hair

I know this is old and no need to revive it, as its off topic, but it's something I have actually been considering for a while. I felt the same indignation, as a white person, about Rachel Dolezal. But I began to notice that my social media and IRL friends/family reacted very different to her story based on race. White people were much more outraged black people. Again, I can't speak for everyone in the black community but my exboyfriend and my roommate were extremely supportive of her. They thought she was crazy but as my ex(we are still super good friends) said "I wish more black people would fight as hard as she did for black rights." And my roommate was like, "I wish every white person spent time trying to live as a black person to see what it's really like." There was less outrage that she "took" something meant for a black person since she was living as a black person and working to help black people. 

So in a weird way I think it really highlights deeper issues about race, this idea that black people profit from being black and that white people really don't get what it means to live the experience. And this weird idea that we must punish/humiliate anyone who doesn't stick to the rules of our society - white society's rules. Because race isn't a real construct, it's always phenotype and subjective and why people can "pass" so it's ridiculous to have such outrage at someone "pretending" to be something that never was really real to begin! These are arbitrary constructs, yes there is history behind them, yet we continue to adhere to them in our moral outrage. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived