IGNORED

All Things My Lady Bibliophile

alba

Once again various fundies have different approaches to books. We knew fundies who didn't let their kids read fiction, ones who only allowed Rod & Staff and Christian Light published fiction and missionary stories. One family was big on bowlderizing  their books. Mom went through everything with a stapler  and a (not magic) marker. She edited pictures for modesty and cheerful countenances.   She wrote sanitized summaries of chapters she'd staple shut. She expurgated characters' selfish motivations and changed story lines wantonly. I was a voracious reader and quickly learned that borrowing their books wasn't worth it.

The kids took it all in stride. When I asked  if they were curious about what had been blacked out, they said no. Their parents were doing what was best for them.

The other thing I saw that LB reminds me of, is parents who do one thing themselves, but would never, ever let a child do it, regardless of age. One of the stricter families had a dad who loved, loved, loved Michael Phillips /Judith Pella novels (Christian historical fiction) and George MacDonald (early fantasy ). His kids weren't allowed any of these books, even the 17 year old, and they intended to have restrictions on what their kids read as adults. Lots of 'do as I say, not as I do' in these circles.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmiGirl, at least you can blame your mistakes on your phone!  I can only blame mine on bad typing and not proofreading thoroughly.

I'm watching an episode of the Murdoch Mysteries aka The Artful Detective on Ovation.  Dr Grace just apologized to Murdoch for using the word "doozy".  Was doozy was swear word at one time or was it always slang?  

It used to be that the word "pee" was considered somewhat unacceptable, but I don't think that the case anymore.  The same is true for "butt".  Btw, my grandmother always called those spigots on the cow's udder "tits" not teats.  As many cows she milked -by hand!- in her lifetime she was entitled to call them anything she darn well pleased!

It could just be they were apologising for using slang.

I read a lot of EM Brent-Dyer's Chalet School stories as a child and they were obsessed with this

• Upvote 2

@EmiGirl, at least you can blame your mistakes on your phone!  I can only blame mine on bad typing and not proofreading thoroughly.
I'm watching an episode of the Murdoch Mysteries aka The Artful Detective on Ovation.  Dr Grace just apologized to Murdoch for using the word "doozy".  Was doozy was swear word at one time or was it always slang?  
It used to be that the word "pee" was considered somewhat unacceptable, but I don't think that the case anymore.  The same is true for "butt".  Btw, my grandmother always called those spigots on the cow's udder "tits" not teats.  As many cows she milked -by hand!- in her lifetime she was entitled to call them anything she darn well pleased!

Considering she was talking to Murdoch in a professional context she was probably just apologising for using slang.
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, alba said:

Considering she was talking to Murdoch in a professional context she was probably just apologising for using slang.

Funny I've heard Constable Crabtree say it many times. "It's a doozy sir." And now that I think about it , he does apologize often. 

It's weird that what is considered bad in one generation may not be in the next. As for MLB, she probably does white out "fart" and "pee" and other such words. Which seems like a waste of time to me but I am not a fragile flower. 

• Upvote 1

I have a collection of stories from my grandmother's family where they just reminisced about immigrating to America in the early 1900's and what life was like after that. I was reading through it recently and one thing that made me laugh was when one woman said that it was her job "to carry the pig slop (pardon my language)." I didn't know that was a bad word!

My dad sad that when he grew up "bitching" as a synonym for complaining wasn't a bad word at all and he would even hear the pastor use it in church. (They were Dutch Reformed.)

There are a lot of words my mom doesn't like. We can't say "butt," and she was horrified when she sat in on my youth group and heard the youth pastor use that word.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I have a collection of stories from my grandmother's family where they just reminisced about immigrating to America in the early 1900's and what life was like after that. I was reading through it recently and one thing that made me laugh was when one woman said that it was her job "to carry the pig slop (pardon my language)." I didn't know that was a bad word!

My dad sad that when he grew up "bitching" as a synonym for complaining wasn't a bad word at all and he would even hear the pastor use it in church. (They were Dutch Reformed.)

There are a lot of words my mom doesn't like. We can't say "butt," and she was horrified when she sat in on my youth group and heard the youth pastor use that word.

This reminds me of my late grandmother and a joke she kept on her fridge containing the word hell. I remember once asking her what it said before I could read, and she replaced hell with heck. Later on, when I could read, I read it and knew what it really said.  I might have called her bluff at some point, but I can't remember for sure.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, smittykins said:

I've even seen "fart" used more often nowadays.  It used to be a word you didn't say in polite company, or by anyone over the age of 12. :pb_lol:

Okay, I'm curious, what did you say before "fart" because somewhat commonplace? Or did you just not talk about it?

9 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

Okay, I'm curious, what did you say before "fart" because somewhat commonplace? Or did you just not talk about it?

We used "poot." I actually got my cousin into quite a bit of trouble once because he said fart and I ran to our moms and said that he said the "f word". You can imagine the chaos that ensued. He just about got his mouth washed out with soap, but he managed to say "all I said was fart" while crying. The great part was the look on the moms' faces. That's when mom had to explain to me the difference between a real bad word an a rude word.  I also had to say bottom instead of butt until I was near middle school and she gave up the fight on those words.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, EmiGirl said:

We used "poot." I actually got my cousin into quite a bit of trouble once because he said fart and I ran to our moms and said that he said the "f word". You can imagine the chaos that ensued. He just about got his mouth washed out with soap, but he managed to say "all I said was fart" while crying. The great part was the look on the moms' faces. That's when mom had to explain to me the difference between a real bad word an a rude word.  I also had to say bottom instead of butt until I was near middle school and she gave up the fight on those words.

I'm cracking up! That is hilarious. It's interesting how language changes like that...my mom (I'm only 22) used the words butt and fart with me growing up, but my older dance teacher definitely used bottom.

• Upvote 2

Just now, closetcagebaby said:

I'm cracking up! That is hilarious. It's interesting how language changes like that...my mom (I'm only 22) used the words butt and fart with me growing up, but my older dance teacher definitely used bottom.

My ballet teacher said derrière. :pb_lol: Four year old me thought it was very fancy.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

To be fair, I'm only 32, not that much older than you! My mom is just very conservative about things like that. The rest of my peers were definitely saying fart and butt...just not  me!

My dad's grandmother would flip if someone said pregnant around her. Mom said that you had to say "with child" or "in the family way."

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, EmiGirl said:

To be fair, I'm only 32, not that much older than you! My mom is just very conservative about things like that. The rest of my peers were definitely saying fart and butt...just not  me!

My dad's grandmother would flip if someone said pregnant around her. Mom said that you had to say "with child" or "in the family way."

Oh wow! Reminds me of all my historical romances, where "pregnant" is basically a swear word! :pb_lol: 

My dad would be almost 89 told us that when he was little they said "in the family way" and never said pregnant.  He also got spanked for watching a hen lay an egg.  He lived on a farm.  Of course, you're going to see chickens lay eggs and all sorts of farm animals mating.  He thought it was rather ridiculous.

One of my daughters was having supper at my brother's once when the girls were little.  She announced that someone at the table "cut one" and got sent away from the table.  She always suspected that the person that sent her away from the table was the guilty party.

• Upvote 4

Hahah my math teacher in junior high used to say "Break wind" or "Fluff." It was really funny. 

• Upvote 1

Now you're all making me think of my favourite crazy girls' school stories from the 1930s-50s, where the authors would never state the women were pregnant, but they'd be sitting out the dancing, knitting white fleecey things, and people would coyly talk about how they were "about to become very busy" in about 5 months time!

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

See, I'm 25 and I grew up with a mom who had some pretty impressive road rage and a dad who thought it was perfectly fine to let his 8-year-old listen to George Carlin, so I knew every swear word in the book early on, and any swearing I uttered was tolerated if I was quoting someone or if I wasn't around polite company (my entire family curses like sailors).

Though with my mom's road rage, when my sister was 2, she once called someone an idiot. When my mom asked her if she knew what that word meant (in order to teach a lesson about not insulting people), my sister proudly said "BAD DRIVER!"

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lurky said:

Now you're all making me think of my favourite crazy girls' school stories from the 1930s-50s, where the authors would never state the women were pregnant, but they'd be sitting out the dancing, knitting white fleecey things, and people would coyly talk about how they were "about to become very busy" in about 5 months time!

Much like Anne of Green Gables, it never really says that she's pregnant.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Though with my mom's road rage, when my sister was 2, she once called someone an idiot. When my mom asked her if she knew what that word meant (in order to teach a lesson about not insulting people), my sister proudly said "BAD DRIVER!"

Ha! Sounds like my daughter. She didn't talk much yet at age 2, but as soon as I put her in the car she would start talking babbling about "idiot" this and "asshole" that. Because those were Mama's driving words : X  Sure taught me to watch my mouth.

• Upvote 2

See, I'm 25 and I grew up with a mom who had some pretty impressive road rage and a dad who thought it was perfectly fine to let his 8-year-old listen to George Carlin, so I knew every swear word in the book early on, and any swearing I uttered was tolerated if I was quoting someone or if I wasn't around polite company (my entire family curses like sailors).

That reminds me of a story Mr Alba told of his brother when they were younger. Here in the UK a lot of rural speed limit signs are a white circle with a diagonal black line, meaning the national speed limit (60 mph) applies.

However, you most often see them when leaving a 30 zone, so BIL thought the sign meant, "go like fuck".
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to read her posts. I really did - what a ridiculous and potentially entertaining premise! But I just cant .

In the first part of her Hunger Games "review" (since she's never read or watched any of them) alone, I think I sprained my eyes from rolling them so hard. :pb_rollseyes:

What a self important twit. How sad that she so clearly wants to read and learn, but has been systematically stunted at every turn. Fundamentalism is so evil.

• Upvote 2

From her year's end post:

Writing down good memories can be a bit misleading on the internet. It makes it look like your life was one Tangled lantern fest

GASP!!!!!!

(not that I've ever seen Tangled...).

Whew, thank goodness.

Sounds like she's had a good 2016, and you know what, good for ha! At least one of us did!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Catching up on MLB, I read her post about ministry leaders keeping up with pop culture influences. She claims to have decided that the Hamilton cast album wasn't for after "the third swear word in the first song". Being the theatre nerd I am I couldn't recall swear words in the first several songs and ran through the lyrics in my head, then double checked my Genius app for the lyrics, and there's definitely only one "real" swear word in the title song, "d***". "Bastard" and "whore" are present but used in their literal sense, so I am unsure what she's referring to (unless she didn't try listen to it in order). 

• 3 years later...

Schuyler is now teaching online writing classes--with what qualifications, exactly? She's still doing cringe-inducing fanfiction of her own characters (I'm not sure what could possibly be worse) and having someone take terrible pictures of her.

74214563_2870477142962486_9014330867547373568_o.jpg