IGNORED

Jana's future part 2

samurai_sarah

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

I don't think we can say exactly what Jana's situation would be if she left, because we haven't seen that happen so we can't be sure exactly how the Duggar Borg would react.

This. The DuggarBorg. That is the best analogy by far of the cult members' inability to individuate from their family like typical young adults. They are enmeshed and parentified, and their whole religious system is based on making enmeshment the highest virtue and individuation the greatest sin. We are all wishing that some kid, any kid or kidult could get beyond that, but I think it would be nearly impossible without therapy and support.

My religious group has our own crazy fundies, the ultra-orthodox. We have plenty of stories of escape, but Haredi kids are usually found in cities, right next to public transportation. Even so, the young adults that are able to transition are heavily reliant on city-based support groups, and frequently suffer from terrible depression at being cut off from the hive mind, even if it was destructive for them.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ester said:

This. The DuggarBorg. That is the best analogy by far of the cult members' inability to individuate from their family like typical young adults. They are enmeshed and parentified, and their whole religious system is based on making enmeshment the highest virtue and individuation the greatest sin. We are all wishing that some kid, any kid or kidult could get beyond that, but I think it would be nearly impossible without therapy and support.

My religious group has our own crazy fundies, the ultra-orthodox. We have plenty of stories of escape, but Haredi kids are usually found in cities, right next to public transportation. Even so, the young adults that are able to transition are heavily reliant on city-based support groups, and frequently suffer from terrible depression at being cut off from the hive mind, even if it was destructive for them.

ultra-orthodox Judaism, yes? I have a few Hassidic (I am not sure if I am spelling that correctly) friends (both from birth and from baal teshuva-- I hope I haven't butchered that) but I'm not sure exactly how that relates to Haredi as a group or subdivision? However, the city I live in now does have a pretty large ultra-orthodox community and I definitely know exactly what you mean. I think that is true of extremeism in all forms, enmeshing and the prohibition on individualization are often essential to fundamentalism regardless of form or group.

Yeah, the use of the phrase "ultra Orthodox" is actually not fair to some pretty cool highly observant folks, Hasidic and non Hasidic. Haredi is a better word for hard core fundamentalist separatist Jews.

But yeah, poor Jana and all her siblings don't see "freedom" when they see the outside world, they see a chaotic, lonely abyss.

Maybe Jana has met a nice "dirt under the fingernails" kinda guy at Lowe's. He would have building skills, be appreciative of Jana's "skills" and would be a local man. Who knows??

He wouldn't necessarily be part of the cult, though. Outsiders, even the guy who works at Lowe's or the girl who makes your ChikFilA order, are OTHER and a bit scary. If one is part of a manipulative group, not only is the outside world alien, but untrustworthy. There are myriad secrets in any cult, and the cost of revealing them is too high for any of them to pay.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

Maybe Jana has met a nice "dirt under the fingernails" kinda guy at Lowe's. He would have building skills, be appreciative of Jana's "skills" and would be a local man. Who knows??

Why have a lot of people mentioned Lowe's? Just curious. 

I mentioned it because Jana seems to spend a lot of time there buying stuff for "projects". Others may be mentioning it because , iirc, Lowe's is somehow associated with Fundies. I dunno.....*shrug*

There was a recent photo of Jana shopping in Lowe's with a comment about her spending a lot of time there.

42 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I mentioned it because Jana seems to spend a lot of time there buying stuff for "projects". Others may be mentioning it because , iirc, Lowe's is somehow associated with Fundies. I dunno.....*shrug*

36 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

There was a recent photo of Jana shopping in Lowe's with a comment about her spending a lot of time there.

Oh ok. Well the family has mentioned that she likes doing a lot of DIY projects. And lucky for her she has her daddy's fat wallet to bring. TLC was also probably involved and gonna go at it again showing her "skills" and proving that she doesn't just take care of babies. 

I believe if you build a structure, such as a treehouse, the law requires that a professional architect design it. and it must be inspected before occupancy.

11 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I believe if you build a structure, such as a treehouse, the law requires that a professional architect design it. and it must be inspected before occupancy.

Round here, it just has to be to code. They don't care who designed it.

On 7/4/2016 at 9:23 PM, AnnaRuk09 said:

Looks like TLC is at it again. They hilariously failed the first time showing Jana as miss power tool girl (or I should say tape measure girl since all she did was measure something and then did nothing) and now there filming her doing another silly project.

Maybe, but I found the #ArkansasFixerUpperPro  hashtag interesting. It looks like she's in the fencing aisle at Loews.

29 minutes ago, Kira said:

Maybe, but I found the #ArkansasFixerUpperPro  hashtag interesting. It looks like she's in the fencing aisle at Loews.

Yeah me too. But their family and friends are known to over exaggerate. She could of said it that way, in an exaggerated way, to really compliment her. I'm sure she knows how to do sinple DIY work around the house, but nothing extraordinary. They have been known to over exaggerate. Just watch her have a plan for a big fence project and then have her brothers take over while she stands alongside them with her hands in her pockets. 

I can just say that I feel sorry every time I see Jana. She looks so depressed, but it's just because she lives in a family where she's considered already old to marry!

I so want that blind item about Jana to be true. *sigh* :my_sad:

There's a new clip up on the 'Counting On' website where Jana and Jason are pretending they know all about fresh produce. Another FU internetz. It's painful to watch so I didn't get past 20 seconds but Jason said Jana is growing a garden. Girl ain't gonna be courting anytime soon, she needs to stay and tend to the new garden!

Oh they bring us the most astounding bit of information - a good thing to do with over ripe bananas is to make banana bread.  How innovative. :):Bazinga:

Oh my god that video was awful.  Apparently Jana started a garden.  How many freakin gardens have they had over the years?! (I think at least 3).  Also, I can't believe one of their tips is to buy vegetables a little less ripe if  you're not going to use right away.  How can they possible think that is novel information?!

Wow. Now I know what to look for at the grocery store. Thank you Jana. My family will appreciate it. :irony:

TLC really? First Jinger and Jessa with their awful fashion tips and now this? What are you hoping to achieve... To be fair though, the leghumpers are lapping it up, they're loving the 'useful' tips and can't wait for the show to return.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

TLC really? First Jinger and Jessa with their awful fashion tips and now this? What are you hoping to achieve... To be fair though, the leghumpers are lapping it up, they're loving the 'useful' tips and can't wait for the show to return.

Maybe there are people out there that don't know how to make chikenetti (and want to) or need to be told that banana bread is a good use of ripe bananas or have less fashion sense than Jessa and Jinger. (Clearly Michelle is one of the latter.  Maybe she didn't know about bananas either.)

On 7/19/2016 at 1:40 PM, Stefania said:

I can just say that I feel sorry every time I see Jana. She looks so depressed, but it's just because she lives in a family where she's considered already old to marry!

I feel the same way. It's sad that a 26 year old woman can't do anything without having a chaperone. I assume that is why the young boy is there, to keep an eye on her. She can't shop alone, she can't garden alone, and apparently can't make videos by herself. Maybe Jeremy knows someone who likes to do outdoorsy stuff and he and Jana will click.  I wish she would pack a suitcase and just go find herself a life, but I bet sneaking out of that house would be pretty tricky. 

I'm sure all we'll hear this season from Jana is how she "loves this season of life" and is "content" waiting to see what God has in store for her. At this point it would likely feel like a Mom would feel abandoning her kids. Maybe, like a friend who grew up in a big family, she really doesn't want a family of her own--she's been there, done that.

Well goodness knows if I were Jana I would prefer this season of life to a never-ending quest to fill my quiver. I mean it may not be acceptable  (or even a conscious thought of hers) to say that she doesn't want kids now/doesn't want a big family, but it is very acceptable and understandable to say you don't want to rush God's perfect timing, and she may truly feel that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess she totally didn't see a new gardening opportunity coming. That was a lot of hype for nothing. Now she's not even mentioned in the season 2 promo's. We may see her baking banana bread in the background. I do hope that she does have something going on in her life that she chooses not to show on camera, especially since Jinger is the Big Story. Perfect opportunity for her to court quietly, which I'm guessing would be her preference. Maybe while everyone is focused on Jinger, she can quietly sign up for some college classes if the courting thing is not happening. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived