IGNORED

What Now? - (Resource List)

Destiny

Resurrecting this thread that I have been perusing - great links, thank you- to ask FJ's help. I am not sure this is the right place to put my request, but the question in the thread title "What Now? " is one I have been asking myself a lot lately. 

I am about to become a U.S. citizen. A few days ago I passed my naturalization interview, and, in a few days, I have my oath ceremony, where I will officially become a citizen. Words cannot express the emotions I am going through. This has been a dream of mine for many years, ever since I decided to make this imperfect but beautiful country my home. 

I won't bore you all with the above. Now that I am a quasi-citizen, I realize that my individual experience as a white, Southern European, immigrant woman is my own, but the USA is a beautiful collection of people. races, ethnicities, individual stories that may be very different from my own. I realize that I may not have the same cultural awareness or background or knowledge about my fellow Americans of different cultural background, ethnicity, etc. etc. etc. 

I want to become a better American citizen and a more educated individual, so I can better interact with my fellow Americans, engage in civil action, political activity, and most importantly, I can be a better educator to my son. 

I have a general knowledge of U.S. history (a great interest of mine), and civics. I keep up to date with U.S. politics and current events. However, what can you recommend in terms of books, websites, podcasts, etc. that I could read/listen to broaden my knowledge and understanding of my soon-to-be country?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 4

Another great resource should be your local public library. There's a wonderful series of videos put out by PBS called American Experience that has been going on for over two decades. Topics range from things like the civil War, westward expansion, and major cities to the president's, to things like the orphan trains and even Sears Roebuck catalog and Tupperware.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for the input! Items that can be perused on the road are great, such as (online) publications, Podcasts, audio-books, etc. I spend a lot of time in the car and also on lengthy plane rides, so things that can be downloaded on my phone for offline listening while in the car are great, as well as hard copy books/magazines that can be tossed in a bag for an airport wait or 9+ hours in the air.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:brainfart:

Edited by fraurosena
posted in the wrong thread

• 5 weeks later...

If you find yourself near DC:

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...
  • Destiny unpinned this topic