IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

tressea, I feel exactly as you do. I think Steve is building his own cult, and his obsession with death adds a more sinister quality to them. No, I don't see them pulling a Jonestown, but there is something creepy about them. I probably won't articulate this well, but it seems like they'll allow someone to marry into the family (Melanie, Anna Marie) but they won't allow their daughters to marry and leave the family. There seems to be more of an emphasis on increasing the number of people in family and the number of money-making schemes they can run. I don't see Sarah or any of the girls marrying, unless they can convince the husband to join the family in its businesses.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Clibbyjo, I wanna come ! Can I start homeschooling my 23 year old so I can join your homeschool moms group ?

And I'm supergluing Mr. Snarky to the couch so I can qualify too!

luckylibrarian-- I completely agree. I will be SHOCKED if any of the girls get married any time soon. I can see Steve pulling some sort of stunt where he allows Sarah to court but then finds a reason to break it off (I certainly hope for Sarah's sake that he doesn't, but think about the seminar opportunities! And the GREAT five-installment series about saving your daughters from bad courtships that he could write for his Dad's Corner!). With the boys, he can marry them off to some super-submissive girl and have the two of them live down the street so as to keep his clutches on them. It won't work the same way with the girls unless he can find a man willing to completely cede control of his family to his father-in-law.

It's so, so sad. The girls seem so nice and so eager to start their own families, and yet so completely under the control of their Dad. It's creepy.

The other thing that bother me so much about their blog is the absolutely insufferable level of self-righteousness. I mean, they declared openly on their blog that they thought a Catholic woman was going to hell! The level of judgment and certainty in their own holiness is really quite astonishing.

Tressea, you've put into words what I've been thinking for a long time. IMNSHO, Steve's chronic focus on death and misery and fun-squashing is depression made visible. I worry for his children.

Life -- every single second of it -- is meant to be relished and enjoyed by the living, to the best of our ability. If there is a God, I just can't believe he/she/it would want all of us to follow the Maxwells' miserable example.

As Auntie Mame said, "Life is a banquet!"

Have they offered any new topics in, say, 2 or 3 years?? Otherwise, they've kind of "been there, done that" with the majority of churches who'd even consider having them. Perfect title for their "new" presentation: "Boring family life: it's the new 'fun'"

And, I can't imagine the "love offering" really covers all the diesel fuel for poor Uraiah, let alone "profit." We haven't heard of any new houses being built or renovated so I doubt one of the young guys is courting. As much as I love to snark on them, I hope no one is seriously ill or anything like that.....

I was surprised that the Maxwells are using reCAPTCHA, and even mentioned it helps Google digitize books.

Are they Christian books? I guess I'm still reeling from the old entry on the street preacher wife's blog where she said she only allows Christian books in her house for her kids, and not modern Christian books, just ones from the 19th century.

ALL of their pictures, there seems to be misery behind those smiles, particularly Mrs. Maxwell's and the girls. The only exceptions appear to be Melanie and her family who appear to have some semblance of a happy life

Sadly as both a child of a parent plunged into clinical depression and as someone who has parented from deep in the well of depression (and as the parent of a child with this!) this can be the effect it has. If Teri is not medicated it could be painful living with her as I know too well. I don't want to say they do a super job or anything, but in this I do sympathize with Teri.

I do agree, totally, with tressea Something is just plain "off" with them. I honestly don't suspect anything "actionable" just that uber-Puritan-life-must-be-miserable-to-be-godly vibe to the nnnnnnth degree. I feel for ALL the Maxwell kids. I remember the sactimonious post about Anna? Mary? NOT going to college [like that would shock us] and how all I could think of was a ventriloquist's Dummy......

I mean, EVERY... SINGLE... POST on the Maxwell's blog has an undercurrent of oppressiveness and depression.

Of course they are. They live their lives as if every day is their last day on earth and they need to be prepared to be "judged." Pa Maxwell said it himself.

I agree with all you said tressea and so much more. The Maxwells are a brand of fundie entirely unto themselves and they scare me.

What posts about Mary and Anna are you referring to?

I don't notice it so much with the girls, but there is definitely something unhappy I see in the pics of Teri. She usually looks like she is forcing a smile on a sour face. I think her perfectionism and drive to be super uberorganized combined with depression would make her a very difficult person to live with.

Extremely well-said, Teressa. Every time I think of Steve taking away poor Jesse's instrument because he enjoyed playing it, but letting him keep playing the instrument he didn't care about, my heart breaks a little. Why would anyone want to emulate these people and their joyless life? Bland food, no fun, no friends, nothing but prayer and work. It's a cult, and those kids are in so deep they don't even know they're brainwashed.

Every time I think of Steve taking away poor Jesse's instrument because he enjoyed playing it, but letting him keep playing the instrument he didn't care about, my heart breaks a little.

Let me guess, he was making an "idol" of it?? Beginning to think he was good at it?? I haven't read all of their blog--I'd love to read this one though.

And, I can't imagine the "love offering" really covers all the diesel fuel for poor Uraiah, let alone "profit." We haven't heard of any new houses being built or renovated so I doubt one of the young guys is courting. As much as I love to snark on them, I hope no one is seriously ill or anything like that.....

I wonder if they pay taxes on their "love offerings". They are not a non-profit organization which could be exempt.

Extremely well-said, Teressa. Every time I think of Steve taking away poor Jesse's instrument because he enjoyed playing it, but letting him keep playing the instrument he didn't care about, my heart breaks a little. Why would anyone want to emulate these people and their joyless life? Bland food, no fun, no friends, nothing but prayer and work. It's a cult, and those kids are in so deep they don't even know they're brainwashed.

When did he do that? Was it in a blog or corner?

OT - I refuse to have the Maxwell Blog as one of my Favourites, however, when I type "tit" into the address bar, Titus 2 comes up. Wonder if the word, tit, has ever been uttered by a Maxwell?

OT - I refuse to have the Maxwell Blog as one of my Favourites, however, when I type "tit" into the address bar, Titus 2 comes up. Wonder if the word, tit, has ever been uttered by a Maxwell?

Well, if it were, it would surly be followed up by a a 16hr sentence to the prayer closest and perhaps a meeting with a tool of correction.

When did he do that? Was it in a blog or corner?

It was one of the things they talked about at a conference where we had some undercover FJers

• 1 month later...

conference at a "normal" church? Maybe the Preacher would be a women and/or gay. Ladies would wear slack and tank tops. Young people from the youth group would be in shorts and hold hands. Men would be taking care of their children because their wives are tired of working at a paid job! :shock:

I'd love love love to see the looks on the Maxwell's faces! The reversal kids would stare in amusement, never before exposed to such "sin". Teri would faint. Steve's face would be so RED after catching a glimpst of a exposed "arm". Would they stay and hope to convert? Would they run so fast Uriah would leave mile long skid marks?!?! :lol:

I know Chris has dress "requirements" in his wedding site. I don't recall the Maxwell's posting such in their site.

There's an Assembly of God (think electric keyboard, electric guitar, speakers, people standing up and clapping and shouting "AMEN!" during the music portion) down the street from my house. Maybe I could send them an anonymous request (I don't want my name associated with the Maxwells in a way that makes me look like I support their stifling, brainwashing minicult!) to invite the Maxwells to speak. ;)

They'd never accept. You know they thoroughly vet every church they go to. If Christopher won't do weddings that don't follow very strict, fundie guidelines, I doubt Stevie would be any less stringent in where the whole family goes to award the faithful with the Maxwell experience.

christophermaxwell.com/wedding-information.htm

I love Christopher's 'if your wedding doesn't meet the (MY) criteria.... blurb. Like anyone would cry over not having the great Christopher shoot their wedding. Somehow I don't think too many people would be disappointed that their lives don't meet his criteria so they have to find another photographer.

Archived