IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

• samurai_sarah pinned this topic
  • Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally don't follow this particular board because I would rather pretend that the Duggars aren't A Thing... but I was at wal-mart an hour ago and saw a magazine cover about Josh and Anna divorcing? I always take supermarket tabloids with a huge grain of salt (according to them, Jennifer Aniston has been pregnant about 500 times), but I wonder if there is any truth to that. If so, good for Anna! Dump that cheating loser!

Edited to add: Nevermind, I just checked out the last few pages of the previous thread and it looks like this is just a rumor. Which is sad. Anna and her children deserve better.

Mechelle as a toddler. It's so strange to see her without the poodle mullet. I see a little Jessa in the mouth. 

If only she could've known "in 50 years you'll be married to a controlling sex mad f-wit, you'll be so exhausted, you'll have 19 kids you can't remember" etc. 

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Ehi this is the Duggar the time frame dosen't count for them :my_biggrin:

SOTDRT math strikes again! 

When will the show finally deal with Anna and Josh and Jebus jail.  

Josh is the BIG, FUNDIE, ASSHAT ELEPHANT in the room.  You can't do a retrospective on weddings and just pretend that he wasn't already married (and cheating by then most likely, too)

You can't pretend everything is super-great in the compound.  Hey, Duggars--you want to be on reality TV--time to be real or get off the air.

Just carrying over from the previous thread re: the questions about the Jewish view on abortion if the mother's life is at risk: 

In Judaism, the mother's life always comes first until the baby is born no matter what. Life begins at the baby's first breath. If a baby is unable to breathe on its own outside of the womb (say you have a 19 week fetus or the like), the baby is not viewed as a living being yet. That's not to say Judaism encourages abortion -- I believe it's only permitted by most rabbis if the mother's health is at risk -- but it definitely isn't treated anything like the way conservative Christians treat abortion.

And while one of the most important commandments in the Torah is to be fruitful and multiply, that commandment is only strictly adhered to if the family can provide properly for the new life the parents want to bring into this world. I have a few Orthodox friends who weren't sure whether to start having children or not because some were still in school (college), others didn't feel stable enough in their careers, and one couldn't yet afford more than a one-bedroom home and did not feel it was the right environment for a baby. In all of those cases, their rabbi told them it is okay to wait to have children and advised them to use birth control. Several of my Orthodox friends are on birth control.

I guess in summary, Jews mainly focus on this life that we live on earth. Hell and heaven isn't really discussed much in Judaism. There is actually no specific written doctrine in Judaism concerning any form of the afterlife. There is some talk of the fires of Gehenna, but that's kind of just a mystical Orthodox tradition and not really a Jewish "institution." The focus in Judaism instead is on concepts such as  tikkun olam (healing the world), tefilah (prayer/devotion to G-d), teshuvah (going back to the basics of being a good soul -- sort of like repentance but not really. More like a recommitment to core values ish) and tzedakah (charity and good deeds). 

Of course, this is all distorted in extreme versions of Judaism. Their beliefs probably aren't that far off from fundamentalist Christians. But for a conservative Jew like myself, it seems strange to see religion used as a way to determine what your afterlife will be like instead of what I'm used to, which is more as a guide for living life with the goal of being a good person and leaving a positive mark on the world. It's not done for any sort of afterlife "reward."

Sorry this got really long and off topic. But it's all kind of a good reminder of why the Duggars have no business co-opting some Jewish traditions when their style of religion is very different from the essentials of Judaism. 

I took at Sexuality in Judaism course in college, which was not only super interesting, but we learned and discussed matters beyond Judaism. We compared "when life begins" among different 'sects' of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I think one thing I realized during that lesson was about many conservative Christian pro-lifers. In reality, they are pro-birth, not pro-life. As in, a baby can be born into a terrible situation full of neglect and improper care, but as long as it's born, hallelujah! 

22 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I took at Sexuality in Judaism course in college, which was not only super interesting, but we learned and discussed matters beyond Judaism. We compared "when life begins" among different 'sects' of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I think one thing I realized during that lesson was about many conservative Christian pro-lifers. In reality, they are pro-birth, not pro-life. As in, a baby can be born into a terrible situation full of neglect and improper care, but as long as it's born, hallelujah! 

I think a lot of it is also about controlling women. Hard for a woman to get uppity and do what she wants to do when she has a kid she's obliged to care for.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:15 AM, marmalade said:

Mechelle as a toddler. It's so strange to see her without the poodle mullet. I see a little Jessa in the mouth. 

Is that the infamous lawn she would be mowing in her bikini? :shock:

A bit off topic, but I just saw  an advertisement for a movie called "Rules Don't Apply" and one of the guys asked another guy "You know why she can't have sex? It might lead to dancing." (or something close to that)

Plotline

An aspiring young actress (Lily Collins) and her ambitious young driver (Alden Ehrenreich) struggle hopefully with the absurd eccentricities of the wildly unpredictable billionaire Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty) for whom they work. It's Hollywood, 1958. Small town beauty queen, songwriter, and devout Baptist virgin Marla Mabrey (Collins), under contract to the infamous Howard Hughes (Beatty), arrives in Los Angeles. At the airport, she meets her driver Frank Forbes (Ehrenreich), who is engaged to be married to his 7th grade sweetheart and is a deeply religious Methodist. Their instant attraction not only puts their religious convictions to the test, but also defies Hughes' #1 rule: no employee is allowed to have any relationship whatsoever with a contract actress. Hughes' behavior intersects with Marla and Frank in very separate and unexpected ways, and as they are drawn deeper into his bizarre world, their values are challenged and their lives are changed. Written by 20th Century Fox

Bolding mine. Reminded me of the Duggars.

ETA, Correction: He asks "You do know why she thinks sex is bad? It can lead to dancing"

I found this in another forum.  So the Duggars don't have a TV or do they?

Duggar big TV cropped.jpg

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

I found this in another forum.  So the Duggars don't have a TV or do they?

Duggar big TV cropped.jpg

That's a far cry from the 15 inch old tube TV they used to prop on the chair with an antenna. 

3 minutes ago, JMO said:

That's a far cry from the 15 inch old tube TV they used to prop on the chair with an antenna. 

I remember that! Wasn't Joy put in charge of blocking the screen when something ebil came on?

2 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

I remember that! Wasn't Joy put in charge of blocking the screen when something ebil came on?

Hahah yes she was! I remember her blocking when they were on Good Morning America (maybe..) 

I don't think they even make projectors anymore. You use a disc. And that looks like a news show.

Do projector screens usually come with black borders? 

9 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

It looks exactly like the projector screens we had in high school and at some churches I've been to. 

All the better for projecting hymn power points! 

13 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yeah, that's apart of a screen that usually descends from the ceiling so the projection is on a flat, empty surface. Every single one of my college classes have one. In high school we used smartBoards, which also was a projector with a screen, but the screen had special markers so you could use it like a whiteboard. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived