IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

I just found this blog looking for something else and I was sure that FJ must have talked about them, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

The blog is radicalfemininity.com and it's run by five sisters ages 12-25 and their mother. They homeschool, cover their hair, celebrate Jewish holidays. I only just found the blog and there's so much that could be discussed that I'm a little overwhelmed, so I thought I'd go ahead and post this so you all could take a look at it too.

A few examples...

Here's the post about headcoverings: http://radicalfemininity.com/2015/10/26/why-do-you-wear-a-headcovering/ She describes how her mom started wearing head coverings.

She began wearing one while she was praying, but did not wear it all the time and would sometimes scramble to find one when a prayer need came up, especially if she was on the phone talking to a friend.  My father once took a picture of her with a cloth diaper on her head – a clean one, of course!  After some time, she started to feel that she should be wearing one all the time but was hesitant. Then we were in a restaurant while traveling somewhere and when my father left the table to take us children to the buffet, a man started making inappropriate advances toward my mother. She felt strongly that if she had been wearing a headcovering, that would not have happened.  From that point on, she started wearing one pretty much full time and I decided to also.  I did not really understand why but just followed her example.

And for the third reason, that my parents want me to … that’s pretty self-explanatory!  It is a family conviction and if I were to stop wearing it, I would more or less be rebelling against their wishes.  If I marry and my husband has a different understanding and prefers me not to wear it at times, I certainly don’t think I would be in sin to follow his leading.  But I do believe in submitting to the authority that the Heavenly Father has placed in my life right now – my parents.

This was written by the 25-year-old.

A post about modesty: http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/05/18/modesty-not-about-your-heart/

I know of a young lady who believed in dressing modestly and believed that she did.  Some of her “modest outfit” blog posts included pictures of her in snug-fitting tops and tight jeans or knee-length skirts.  At the same time, she was complaining about receiving inappropriate attention from young men!  I wanted to say, “Dear young lady, put some more clothes on!” (and I did, in similar terms).

Apparently Deborah was not a feminist: http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/07/18/deborah-feminist-warrior-mother/

If there is one Biblical character whose life could be used to support the flawed theory of feminism, it would have to be Deborah.  Most people view her as some sort of superwoman!  The popular opinion is that she was a prophetess who ruled Israel, leading them into battle and winning a victory over their enemies.  On the surface, it would seem that one can use her actions to advocate the idea that women can pursue careers and hold public office.  If we dig a little deeper into the story, we find a different perspective.

Disney is evil and should be called "The Devil's Kingdom": http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/05/30/bible-believers-avoid-disney-magic-kingdom/

Edit: Holy shit, they think you should avoid medical care. This is one of the worst things I've read. http://radicalfemininity.com/2014/02/24/can-the-heavenly-father-heal-today-without-the-medical-system/

I am writing this article for the lady who has been called to trust the Heavenly Father for her health ….. without putting her faith, hope and trust in the medical system.  You know who you are.  I have been that lady and know very few other people who have walked in this way.  It is a lonely place …… some think it ridiculous.  That is why I am writing this article for you …… so that you know you are not alone and what I have walked through can strengthen your faith.

One hot summer night in 1990, as my husband and I were taking our nightly stroll past the hospital (we lived right in the heart of the city back then), I was stopped.  An overwhelming feeling came over me.  The thought “this is a very wicked place” came into my mind.  What? This does not make sense to me.  I told my husband what happened and we could not make much sense of it.  We discussed it a bit, then tucked the thought away.

[...]

It may be that at times He works through those in the medical system to accomplish His purposes but too often people limit Him by turning to the system for healing instead of turning to Him.  My daughter recently read a comment in which the author discussed her birth complications and stated “My baby and I would have most certainly died if not for ultrasounds and C-sections.”  This is what I mean by limiting the Heavenly Father and putting our trust in the system.  Our Heavenly Father takes good care of us and He does not need the medical system to aid Him.

Oh, and most posts have a nice graphic made from a quote from the post. Stuff like this:

w7hyUxv.png

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the other day that it doesn't seem like there are any good fundie blogs left to read.  Looks like you have solved my problem.  This one looks like gold. :pb_lol:

1 minute ago, Koala said:

I was thinking the other day that it doesn't seem like there are any good fundie blogs left to read.  Looks like you have solved my problem.  This one looks like gold. :pb_lol:

I know, I was thinking that this is like the fundie blogs we used to snark on in FJ's earlier days. There aren't many of those left anymore.

Disneyland is my favourite place in the world and I'm a pagan. Wonder what they would think of me?

Ready the ferrets, I'm going in!

This quasi-mennonite/amish/Jewish/CRAZY thing these people have going on reminds me so much of that Lydia of Purple gal with the psycho husband and all the daughters they were trying to marry off.  That family sure fell apart after Mama purple died.

This quasi-mennonite/amish/Jewish/CRAZY thing these people have going on reminds me so much of that Lydia of Purple gal with the psycho husband and all the daughters they were trying to marry off.  That family sure fell apart after Mama purple died.

Was that the one with the "always ready" daughter? That was so unintentionally hilarious, but I felt so bad for the poor daughter.

Just now, Destiny said:

Was that the one with the "always ready" daughter? That was so unintentionally hilarious, but I felt so bad for the poor daughter.

Yes!!! And Ireal with her cow(s). 

Yes!!! And Ireal with her cow(s). 

That's right! I've been around for so long that at some level the shit shows all run together, which is sad.

Topic: I've already learnt that I'm not submissive enough, because I would have a job if I could, and I don't observe sabbath, so I'm clearly evil. So far they are pretty much run of the mill fundies though.

22 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I know, I was thinking that this is like the fundie blogs we used to snark on in FJ's earlier days. There aren't many of those left anymore.

I know!  Vitafam is closing up shop too.  

45 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Edit: Holy shit, they think you should avoid medical care. This is one of the worst things I've read. http://radicalfemininity.com/2014/02/24/can-the-heavenly-father-heal-today-without-the-medical-system/

That's pretty shocking. And sadly not the first time I've heard of a family with these sort of beliefs. It must be nice to be lucky enough to not have any serious illness (that you're aware of at least,  plenty of things take years to seriously affect people) for a while. But sad when someone will eventually get hurt or die from preventable illnesses or conditions as this runs the risk of.

18 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Disneyland is my favourite place in the world...

This (except we go to Disney World).  Have these people never been on Pirates of the Caribbean or had one of those cool balloons with a Mickey head inside?? They do.not.know. what they're missing.  

Oh. My. God. I just got to the healing without medicine post. It sounds like she had pneumonia or something - ER sounds like a solid plan. She could have died from something that is preventable - or curable. Yikes.

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So they are like how the Dixons used to be? Christian but pick and choose what they like from Judaism? 

I think that described most Messianic "Jews," yes. :pb_lol:

Interestingly they mention living around a lot of ex-Mennonite and ex-Amish people who also share their Messianic beliefs. This isn't the first time I've heard of Amish people leaving the Amish church and becoming Messianic Jews. I wonder if something about Messianic Judaism is particularly appealing to Anabaptists or if Messianic Jews have just made more of an effort to convert (ex-) Amish and Mennonites than other groups have.

6 minutes ago, vspielman said:

Sigh.....I see they run a puppy mill.  :dislike:

Ugh, I didn't see that. :FURIEUS:

Have fun with the no doctors bullshit. I bet you go to a chiropractor though! And love natural remedies. Aren't natural remedies to make you better not trusting in God as well? I hope every time they are sick they don't take a single Tylenol. 

Interestingly, they appear to be OK with vets. There's a post about a doggie that was sick while in labour, and they thought about doing an emergency vet call. Why can doggies have doctors but not humans?

Oh I see, they mention the "puppy business" in the first post. :(

They also talk about attending a home birth that ended up being twins. If the woman didn't know she was having twins until she gave birth I really doubt she got adequate prenatal care.

“Black lives matter!”  You know what … I completely agree!  Black lives do matter … I love black people! 

Respect the police, support them and, most of all, pray for them.

Phew, boy, I don't think I'm going to get a start on a paper I need to do tonight...

http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/08/22/police-dealing-hatred-people/

Oh I see, they mention the "puppy business" in the first post. [emoji20]

They also talk about attending a home birth that ended up being twins. If the woman didn't know she was having twins until she gave birth I really doubt she got adequate prenatal care.

There's also a post about them having a son that was either stillborn or didn't make it. Sad, because, again, possibly preventable.

Check off for fundie bingo: essential oils make an appearance. Looks like they are into Young Living.

5 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Interestingly, they appear to be OK with vets. There's a post about a doggie that was sick while in labour, and they thought about doing an emergency vet call. Why can doggies have doctors but not humans?

Because dead puppies don't make them money.

Because dead puppies don't make them money.

I hope you are wrong, but that was my thought as well.

Here's their breeding business page: http://www.happyhillpups.com/

They raise "Beagliers" (Beagle + Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, apparently), "Cavachons" (Bichon + Cavalier), Coton de Tulears, and Labradors.

Those are some cute puppies. (Are there any puppies that aren't cute?)

GSrRI3w.png

I guess they must not have a problem with alcohol because this litter was named after wines: Sangria, Shiraz, Pinot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, and Cabernet.

Reminds me of Tabby (RIP). She wasn't Messianic in the organized sense as more ala carte personal religious preferences.

The triscuit matzo will forever slay me.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived