IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 6

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, calimojo said:

And for the Duggar girls, not only what you said, but they have to live it all on TV.  They have to smile and share their honeymoons with the world.  They have to give coy little talking head interviews about how wonderful the wedding night was and marriage is perfect, etc. And they get to endure endless "is she pregnant yet" comments, etc.  Yes,  They are adults, but remember,  they didn't buy the ticket to this ride that they are on.  Daddy pimp JB did.  And he strapped them into the ride vehicle by hindering their education, teaching them that leaving the ride means falling into the abyss of sin and depravity,  minimizing their options and marrying them off to weak men that he can control. 

I couldn't imagine sharing those extremely private aspects of my life with literally millions and millions of people. I couldn't imagine getting constantly badgered about "are you going to court next" or "are you going to adopt" or "what are you going to do next because the whole world says your life's nothing!" I would end up in mental facility if my life was like that. 

I don't know about Jeremy, but what I'm really hoping for Jana is that she'll marry her perfect one who will be the most PRIVATE out of the other husbands. I hope she'll live in total quietness, happiness and privacy instead of having every part of her life recorded for Duggar inc. Do they honestly think revealing so much of their private Iives is a healthy way to live?? What the hell is modest about opening your legs to a camera guy and showing the world an extremely private and sensitive life moment? Or showing millions of strangers their wedding and honeymoon? It's all for the sake of money. And what's funny is that Jesus himself said that money is the root of all evil

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm way late to the party on this, but I wanted to comment on Jessa not having had an ultrasound yet at 17 weeks because some of the comments here are way off. That is actually completely normal for a lot of people, and doesn't necessarily mean she's not getting prenatal care. I'm pregnant now, and a member of a few different preggo chat groups online, so I've talked to a lot of women, and my own doctor, about typical care schedules during pregnancy. The basic schedule of ultrasounds offered to everyone seems to be the nuchal translucency scan at 12 weeks, and the anatomy scan at 20-24 weeks ( which is when you can find out the sex of the baby). Other ultrasounds are usually only done if medically indicated (early dating ultrasound if you're unsure of your dates, etc).

Plenty of people skip the 12 week ultrasound, it's pretty much only used for screening for conditions that can be caught other ways and is completely optional. My doctor had me skip that one because I did the early genetic testing, which is more accurate for Down Syndrome screening than the ultrasound, and I had a blood test to screen for spina bifida. And of course some people are opposed to screening for genetic abnormalities anyway, which I think is crazy but doctors are totally fine with. So it's not uncommon at all for someone's first ultrasound to be as late as 24 weeks, while they're still receiving standard prenatal care from a qualified doctor.

Not having heard the heartbeat at that stage is a little weirder, usually the heartbeat can be found with a doppler by around 14 weeks. Most doctors will see you every 4 weeks until the third trimester, so typically she should have heard the heartbeat at her 16 week appointment, if not at her 12 week appointment. I had super early ultrasounds with my fertility clinic before I transferred to a regular OB, so I heard the heartbeat before many women even know they're pregnant, but I didn't hear the heartbeat on the doppler at my ob's office until 16 weeks. It's possible she's off schedule with her appointments, or she's seeing a midwife who doesn't use the doppler every time.

Tl;dr - obviously it's possible Jessa is ignoring prenatal care, but not having had an ultrasound when she's only 17 weeks along definitely isn't proof of that. Not having heard the heartbeat is a little weird at that stage, though.

^ (pardon me if I just missed it), but Jessa actually say she hadn't heard the heartbeat?

I don't think it's weird either to skip ultrasounds until the anatomy scan, but I opted for everything I could get my hands on because of a missed miscarriage I had five years ago (went on to have two healthy boys since then).  I got to hear the heartbeat with both of them at 10 weeks - and had ultrasound date the pregnancies before then (around 6-7 weeks), to make sure things were starting out where they were supposed to be because of my history.

At 17 weeks, I might be possible for her to feel the baby kick, so I guess that's better than nothing.  But having the ultrasound could at least prepare them mentally in case there's anything not developing properly.

21 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Ok I hate to even ask this but is "keeping the marriage bed undefiled" not a thing in "mainstream" Christian circles? I never thought it was more extreme on the theology scale but my perception is likely skewed. 

It's based on Hebrews 13:4 "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."

1 hour ago, Fun Undies said:

^ (pardon me if I just missed it), but Jessa actually say she hadn't heard the heartbeat?

I don't think it's weird either to skip ultrasounds until the anatomy scan, but I opted for everything I could get my hands on because of a missed miscarriage I had five years ago (went on to have two healthy boys since then).  I got to hear the heartbeat with both of them at 10 weeks - and had ultrasound date the pregnancies before then (around 6-7 weeks), to make sure things were starting out where they were supposed to be because of my history.

At 17 weeks, I might be possible for her to feel the baby kick, so I guess that's better than nothing.  But having the ultrasound could at least prepare them mentally in case there's anything not developing properly.

She did. During the scene where they announced the pregnancy to her family. Jill had asked and Jessa said they hadn't - she had already said she was 14 weeks along.

I became pregnant a year or so after losing a very little one through a miscarriage. I had my first midwife visit at 12 weeks. There was no heartbeat. The midwife said it was not unusual and I could come back in two weeks to check again. However, I was going to leave for a long oversees trip the next day and I dreaded having to go through the trauma of miscarrying on board of some boat. The midwife was kind enough to refer me to hospital for an ultrasound and squeezed me into the already full schedule early the next morning. The baby was fine, just moving around too much to catch the heart beat. It was a great relief.

Another time I was pregnant while in ICU with my critically ill child. I had heavy stomach cramps and worried about the baby. The ICU dr took me aside, told me to go upstairs where his friend was an ultrasound technician. It was after hours, but he did an off the records, free scan and all was well. That was one big worry off my list.

I forgot what my point was. Something about ultrasounds being a luxury or not. Sometimes it can really help. Thank God for modern medicine and understanding doctors.

18 hours ago, MoonFace said:

Maybe the Duggar girls and other fundies do start out slowly with some heavy petting and such before full penetration? Otherwise, it would almost like a rape .   They guys must be told (probably by JimBoob) that these girls need time to get to know their husbands so take it easy.    

You give Boob too much credit, do you really think he cares what happens to the girls in their marriage bed?  I don't for a second believe Boob told the guys to take it easy, the women are their for men to fuck (sorry to be blunt but it is what it is). This is the man who blamed his daughters for being molested by their brother, even a 5 year old little girl.  Then there is the fact that Jil had to have gotten pregnant on her wedding night. 

1 hour ago, Fun Undies said:

I was 26 when I got pregnant the 1st time, I was young healthy, and minimal risk but I still developed pregnancy induced hypertension, and by 35 weeks I was being told I was going on bed-rest and going to the doc twice a week as they were worried about me going preeclamptic, I was 27 when I gave birth, then something else I just thought of, what are these girls Rh factor? I'm Rh negative hubby is RH + do they get rhogam shots if they are negative? I only needed 1 w/ each baby as they are both Rh- by my sister who is also Rh- had 2 Rh+ kids. That is something they need to think about. What if one of them develops gestational diabetes? Not haveing an u/s is the least of the issues with not having prenatal care. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You give Boob too much credit, do you really think he cares what happens to the girls in their marriage bed?  I don't for a second believe Boob told the guys to take it easy, the women are their for men to fuck (sorry to be blunt but it is what it is). This is the man who blamed his daughters for being molested by their brother, even a 5 year old little girl.  Then there is the fact that Jil had to have gotten pregnant on her wedding night. 

He probably did not have the sex talk with any of his sons-in-law but I do believe he loves his daughters very much.  It may be a possessive love and he's way too controlling but he does care about them.  I haven't seen any evidence that he blames them for Josh's actions either.  That's an assumption based on their horrible beliefs that girls can tempt boys by dressing provocatively but this happened when they were still in frumpers.  It would be a stretch to believe they were at fault, even for JB.

I didn't see the most recent show, and by the sounds of it, I missed very little. But today I was thinking about what the show means to the Duggar family.

To them it's a "ministry," right? So, from their point of view, is it a successful ministry?

Do they tell themselves that they're successfully bringing the word of God (as interpreted by Gothard) to the heathen masses? Do they think they are making converts? Do they believe that those who watch are somehow repenting of the sins of "fornication" and failure to welcome eleven-teen children into the family?

And do they have any idea how much some viewers are laughing at them? And that others are appalled by them? Do they know that some people pity them? Or despise them?

Or do they just care about the leg-humpers who flatter them on social media?

I know this family doesn't care about evidence-based reasoning. But does it ever occur to them that there might be better ways of getting their ideas across than exposing themselves and their silly lives on TLC?

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was 26 when I got pregnant the 1st time, I was young healthy, and minimal risk but I still developed pregnancy induced hypertension, and by 35 weeks I was being told I was going on bed-rest and going to the doc twice a week as they were worried about me going preeclamptic, I was 27 when I gave birth, then something else I just thought of, what are these girls Rh factor? I'm Rh negative hubby is RH + do they get rhogam shots if they are negative? I only needed 1 w/ each baby as they are both Rh- by my sister who is also Rh- had 2 Rh+ kids. That is something they need to think about. What if one of them develops gestational diabetes? Not haveing an u/s is the least of the issues with not having prenatal care. 

If a woman is Rh negative she gets the Rhogam regardless of her husband's blood type - just in case the father isn't really her husband or if other family members are Rh positive because I think the baby could inherit it that way. Jessa still has another three or so weeks until she would hypothetically need the Rhogam though - I just got mine done this past Monday at 28w2d. So if she is Rh negative she does still have time before she needs it.

I would think that they would know their blood type already. If nothing else, that information may be in whatever medical information their parents have for them. I know my parents were told our blood types when we were born.

4 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

I know this family doesn't care about evidence-based reasoning. But does it ever occur to them that there might be better ways of getting their ideas across than exposing themselves and their silly lives on TLC?

I've thought about this a lot too. There's no way their show be could considered an effective ministry, if there was data to prove it, right? I have to think that fame has gotten to their head and they're just delusional over fame/money.

But also, I do think they see this as a genuine opportunity to save the unborn babies. JBoob has mentioned this in interviews (not the ones on the show, the ones at political events where he's much more blunt), that they get emails from people who decided not to get an abortion and that makes the show all worth it.

7 hours ago, snickers34 said:

that they get emails from people who decided not to get an abortion and that makes the show all worth it.

How someone decides against abortion after watching 10 people pretend to bake shit is something i'll never understand

8 hours ago, snickers34 said:

that they get emails from people who decided not to get an abortion and that makes the show all worth it.

Well, the show has also led to a lot of alcohol consumption among FJers, including drinking games and resulting drunkenness. Not to mention swear words and the public mocking of fundie believes. So that is quite a ministry.

35 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Well, the show has also led to a lot of alcohol consumption among FJers, including drinking games and resulting drunkenness. Not to mention swear words and the public mocking of fundie believes. So that is quite a ministry.

I love to watch the Youtube channel Practicalfolks for their series Drunk Disney, maybe we could do Drunk Duggars. Have a game for each episode lol? 

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

If a woman is Rh negative she gets the Rhogam regardless of her husband's blood type - just in case the father isn't really her husband or if other family members are Rh positive because I think the baby could inherit it that way. Jessa still has another three or so weeks until she would hypothetically need the Rhogam though - I just got mine done this past Monday at 28w2d. So if she is Rh negative she does still have time before she needs it.

I would think that they would know their blood type already. If nothing else, that information may be in whatever medical information their parents have for them. I know my parents were told our blood types when we were born.

Actually, if a woman is Rh negative, she can only pass down the negative version, regardless of the Rh status of her relatives, because both of her copies of the gene are negative.

On 10/29/2016 at 1:00 AM, AnnaRuk09 said:

I couldn't imagine sharing those extremely private aspects of my life with literally millions and millions of people. I couldn't imagine getting constantly badgered about "are you going to court next" or "are you going to adopt" or "what are you going to do next because the whole world says your life's nothing!" I would end up in mental facility if my life was like that. 

I don't know about Jeremy, but what I'm really hoping for Jana is that she'll marry her perfect one who will be the most PRIVATE out of the other husbands. I hope she'll live in total quietness, happiness and privacy instead of having every part of her life recorded for Duggar inc. Do they honestly think revealing so much of their private Iives is a healthy way to live?? What the hell is modest about opening your legs to a camera guy and showing the world an extremely private and sensitive life moment? Or showing millions of strangers their wedding and honeymoon? It's all for the sake of money. And what's funny is that Jesus himself said that money is the root of all evil

Howdy-do.  Longtime member of FJ but almost-never poster here, these days.  I'm in total agreement that the Duggars' god is mo' money MO'money, but just thought I'd offer credit where due: 

Jesus may have said it, but the Bible doesn't record Him as doing so. Instead, Biblically it's recorded in a letter from Paul: 

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..."

I Timothy 6:10

Also, notice that Paul doesn't identify money itself as evil -- it's the lusting after it, aka GREED, that gives rise to evils.

The elder Duggars wanted self-determination  and comfort, which in themselves are not bad things --- I want those things.

But then they decided they wanted more children than they could actually raise. To do this they needed a lot of money and they hit upon the idea of pimping the children's lives on TV. 

They chose that rather than,  oh, say something like educating them and becoming self-sufficient thru other means like farming or going into businesses that others built and making a life that way.

And why'd they choose what they chose? Because they follow Gothard, another very greedy man.  It's never-ending.

Anyway, long story short--it's the love of money and the person quoted was Paul.

Thus ends the sermon; go in peace if you can.

;-)

19 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Howdy-do.  Longtime member of FJ but almost-never poster here, these days.  I'm in total agreement that the Duggars' god is mo' money MO'money, but just thought I'd offer credit where due: 

Jesus may have said it, but the Bible doesn't record Him as doing so. Instead, Biblically it's recorded in a letter from Paul: 

Also, notice that Paul doesn't identify money itself as evil -- it's the lusting after it, aka GREED, that gives rise to evils.

The elder Duggars wanted self-determination  and comfort, which in themselves are not bad things --- I want those things.

But then they decided they wanted more children than they could actually raise. To do this they needed a lot of money and they hit upon the idea of pimping the children's lives on TV. 

They chose that rather than,  oh, say something like educating them and becoming self-sufficient thru other means like farming or going into businesses that others built and making a life that way.

And why'd they choose what they chose? Because they follow Gothard, another very greedy man.  It's never-ending.

Anyway, long story short--it's the love of money and the person quoted was Paul.

Thus ends the sermon; go in peace if you can.

;-)

Thanks for the correction. Jesus didn't say that, you're right, i misquoted and it was Paul. The Bible says the love/lust of money is the root of many evils, thats what I meant to say. Money itself or to be rich is not evil or a sin but it's as you say the greed or lust after money which is. Although Jesus also talked about the love of money, it was Paul who said what I quoted. Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Funwithfundies said:

Actually, if a woman is Rh negative, she can only pass down the negative version, regardless of the Rh status of her relatives, because both of her copies of the gene are negative.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if close relatives could have an impact or not. I know personally that my mom, sister and I are all Rh negative. My dad and brother are both positive. 

I hope that any Duggar daughter who may be Rh negative makes sure to get the Rhogam shot because it is really important. 

1 hour ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Thanks for the correction. Jesus didn't say that, you're right, i misquoted and it was Paul. The Bible says the love/lust of money is the root of many evils, thats what I meant to say. Money itself or to be rich is not evil or a sin but it's as you say the greed or lust after money which is. Although Jesus also talked about the love of money, it was Paul who said what I quoted. Thanks!

Thank you for mentioning that Jesus did have something to say about greed -- I had not known that. Here it is:

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.” But he said to him, “Friend, who set me to be a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.” — Luke 12:13-15

20 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Didn't Jessa get blood after her delivery? She should know her blood type.

I think there was also an episode a LONG time ago where boob forced the J'slaves to donate blood.  They could know from that as well.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Thanks! I wasn't sure if close relatives could have an impact or not. I know personally that my mom, sister and I are all Rh negative. My dad and brother are both positive. 

I hope that any Duggar daughter who may be Rh negative makes sure to get the Rhogam shot because it is really important. 

I totally agree.  I am Rh neg, DH is Rh positive - we have three kids, all of whom likely would not have survived without modern medicine (for different reasons, one of which being the Rh issue for kiddos 2 and 3).

My in laws had the same Rh incompatibility - incredibly, they had five babies that survived, despite treatment not being available at the time.  My MIL had four healthy births, then a late miscarriage, then a surviving baby who was very sick at birth with 'blood issues'.  Being very much from the generation where you don't ask questions of doctors, my MIL had no idea the problems in the last two pregnancies were likely the result of the Rh issue.  In fact, she blames herself for the late miscarriage, because she was cleaning windows the day it happened.  In an effort to help her feel better/not blame herself, I tried explaining it to her, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the window cleaning narrative is still the one she believes to be correct. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think there was also an episode a LONG time ago where boob forced the J'slaves to donate blood.  They could know from that as well.

I remember that episode. They donated blood during Josie's hospital stay.  They probably learned more about their own blood during that time. 

I remember that. I think it was just the girls, and Jill (?) was terrified and cried. Maybe I got that part wrong.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived