IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr, 2016 MERGED

DomWackTroll

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

And she's selling off an over-priced copy of the ESV Reformation Study Bible on sale at Ligonier for $20+ more.

And she's posting a photo of her mother-in-law with her toddler son with a caption reporting that the child "loves her more than anybody in the whole world besides Mom and Dad." 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

And she's selling off an over-priced copy of the ESV Reformation Study Bible on sale at Ligonier for $20+ more.

She's undercutting Ligonier!  

I would imagine Ligonier was being kind by allowing him to resign instead of firing him? That way, I'd think he could still find "credible" work somewhere. My heart just goes out to his kids. First the Ashley Madison incident, and now THIS? 

My suspicions tell me he was driving drunk, with his two boys in the car. Piecing this together from Facebook creeping his new wife. She posted a pic of her, Spanky, and the boys on a roadtrip. Then this happens the next day or two?? 

What a selfish SOB. I hope he gets locked up or the kids get placed elsewhere. NO excuse to drive drunk...and apparently drunk OVER the limit. But, to have kids in the car with him...? Just heartbreaking.

1 minute ago, LydiaAnn said:

My suspicions tell me he was driving drunk, with his two boys in the car.

Yep. A DUI (DWI) with at least one minor child in the vehicle.

Alcoholism is a disease and Spanky needs professional help to tackle it but that does NOT excuse him from such execrably dangerous behavior. Hopefully his new wife will see that he gets such help from bona fide providers.

On 12/13/2016 at 7:02 AM, teachergirl said:

Hannah and Campbell are interesting. She works, weighlifts with him and other "heathen" things.  They have both had some major health issues so maybe that's why married a whole two years and no babies.  She JUST turned 22 and he is a year younger than Darby so very very young.  Reno is an odd choice but they seem to be on their own path.....I cant hate on them too much, they are Pittsburgh fans:)

They ARE interesting....I think they're the most "normal" in the Sproul clan. She paints, has started an Etsy shop (I follow her in Instagram), and they do workout and lift together. IMO, she's the complete opposite of Darby (who I can't stand), to give reference. I think they're so cute together. She just seems so "real" and personable. I hope they're on their own path too; wish them the best of luck in Reno.

On 12/12/2016 at 10:39 PM, Soulhuntress said:

Sounds like he is getting into a secular job.   And Reno is an interesting choice.

LOL!  Working for the family industries must pay well.

I don't think Campbell and his wife do much of anything with Ligonier. It does sound like he's getting into a secular job. I know she has/had a few. They are the least fundie/most normal in that whole messed up bunch.

28 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Yep. A DUI (DWI) with at least one minor child in the vehicle.

Alcoholism is a disease and Spanky needs professional help to tackle it but that does NOT excuse him from such execrably dangerous behavior. Hopefully his new wife will see that he gets such help from bona fide providers.

Addiction is "cunning, baffling and powerful," to quote AA's literature. Here's hoping this incident serves as RC Jr's wakeup call.  

Alcoholism is indeed a disease and I hope he gets proper professional treatment for it quickly.  And his licence suspended immediately.  And that he never again gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk.

It has long been rumored that Junior had a problem with alcohol.  There is a video out there of him slurring his words and obviously drunk but this is serious.

What is the chronology on this - I wonder whether this incident was before or after his marriage.

Poor kids.  How many are still minors. 

Why wasn't SHE driving when he was obviously drunk behind the wheel? The charge dates are 11/29.   @LydiaAnn, it's sad to look at those pictures of the boys dated Nov. 29th and know what is to come later in the day.

The first two charges are felonies--this is some extremely serious sh*t.  The first is child endangerment and the second is driving drunk with kid(s) in the car.  He is definitely going to be getting some counseling and it won't be faux church B.S.  There will be A.A. or similar and various other requirements, plus an ignition breathalyzer and likely an ankle alcohol monitor for starters.  Straight DUI/DWI are extremely costly.  (This is based on a stepdaughter, who had two.  DUI #2 finally sorted her out, but she was probably $15,000 in the hole by the time it was all over.)  My question is, What happens to the kids? Might they have to go live with grandma and grandpa until this is over?

Jeeze, I feel sorry for the new wife.  Guess the honeymoon is so completely, totally over.  Not too late to get an annulment, just sayin'.  

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Alcoholism is indeed a disease and I hope he gets proper professional treatment for it quickly.  And his licence suspended immediately.  And that he never again gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk.

It has long been rumored that Junior had a problem with alcohol.  There is a video out there of him slurring his words and obviously drunk but this is serious.

What is the chronology on this - I wonder whether this incident was before or after his marriage.

Not sure when the wedding was. Some interesting things:

- The date of the offense(s) was 11/29

- His home address is Florida, but the offense was in Allen County, Indiana.

39 minutes ago, Howl said:

it's sad to look at those pictures of the boys dated Nov. 29th and know what is to come later in the day

Where were the pictures? I admit, I do most of my fundie following here and not on FB, though I will occasionally follow a link if I'm not too slammed with work.

47 minutes ago, refugee said:

Where were the pictures? I admit, I do most of my fundie following here and not on FB, though I will occasionally follow a link if I'm not too slammed with work.

The new Mrs. Lisa Sproul, Jr.'s fb page.  She'll "God works in mysterious ways" her way through it, I'm sure.

Oh, and @LydiaAnn, awesome find!  

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Judging by fb posts and comments that were discussed here (but that I can't find now), I think the wedding was 11/19.

Assuming Delaney is at least 18 since she's off to bible college, there are four kids at home under 18.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Not sure when the wedding was.

The wedding was November 19, ten days before the charges.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Why wasn't SHE driving when he was obviously drunk behind the wheel? @LydiaAnn

His name is Spanky for a reason.  He has strong ideas about what women should and shouldn't do and I don't think he'd take her telling he was too drunk to drive very well at all.

11 minutes ago, uber frau said:

His name is Spanky for a reason.  He has strong ideas about what women should and shouldn't do and I don't think he'd take her telling he was too drunk to drive very well at all.

Yes, totally agree!  The subtext of my post was, "in a NORMAL world, she would just drive, because that would make the most sense at the time."   Spanky obviously does not live in a normal world. 

My ex-husband's alcohol abuse was what finally gave me the shove I needed to get out of a twenty-year abusive marriage. I realized he'd been driving drunk with the kids at one point, but I was so messed up that all I could muster the strength to do was beg for help from our pastor (HAH!  - I'm now a Done), and insist on doing the driving myself. It was intense. He did not appreciate me sticking to my guns. It was scary, and I was caught in the mindset of feeling like I was supposed to be "respecting" him. Ugh.

He had been through an alcohol counseling program he insisted he didn't need, and I had caught him so many times I've now lost track. The penultimate time, I knew that if it happened again I'd have to leave. It did, and I did.

nowadays he sends my kids guilt-tripping letters because they refuse to see him. I struggle hard to make ends meet, and life is hard. But I'm free. My kids are free. I hope that Spanky's kids get free. I don't much care about the new wifey; she's old enough to have known better, and it's not as though the HUGE red flags weren't waving hard.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Yes, totally agree!  The subtext of my post was, "in a NORMAL world, she would just drive, because that would make the most sense at the time."   Spanky obviously does not live in a normal world. 

Even in the world of 'normal', complementarian Calvinism (where Sproul snr is a well respected figure) the duty to protect lives overrides a woman's obligation to submit to her husband every single time.  In Spanky's world, his need to be right is paramount, bugger the kids' safety.

I note that one of the charges involves a .15+ blood alcohol level. In my state that's nearly twice the legal limit (.08 %). He was hammered, not tipsy.

I have a lot of sympathy for people trying to cope with alcoholism, though I'm not convinced a sober R.C. Jr. would be a huge improvement, except on the highway. I hope this is his true wake-up call.

1 hour ago, older than allosaurs said:

I have a lot of sympathy for people trying to cope with alcoholism, though I'm not convinced a sober R.C. Jr. would be a huge improvement, except on the highway. I hope this is his true wake-up call.

I agree 100%. I can see him as the classic dry drunk. Good luck JT.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived