IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr, 2016 MERGED

DomWackTroll

ISB pass bought & paid for, but did he slap The New Mrs. Sproul, Jr., around once the wedding bands were on?

Lisa has led a life of achievement, which I know doesn't inoculate anyone from having DV tried upon them, but mayhaps he did and she spoke up and they said "Here's your trust fund, buh-bye, Mr. Liability."

But probably not.  But seeing the late Mrs. Denise Sproul in several photos, wearing a scarf that indicates she was in some kind of medical treatment, and smiling bravely ... thinking about the humiliations she endured at her headship's whim ... oh, puts me in a very sad mood indeed.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Ligonier Ministries' desire is to help the church, and it's its people, make a difference in this world by understanding the magnitude of the holiness of God.

Also have a few minor quibbles with comma placement or lack of it.  

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Ligonier doesn't even seem to be moderating comments under their FB post about it. It's like they just DGAF anymore. 

The commenters are confused, because didn't he already "pay" for the Ashley Madison thing? 

Do you have a link to this facebook post?  I can't find it on Ligonier Ministries fb page. 

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

Do you have a link to this facebook post?  I can't find it on Ligonier Ministries fb page. 

This should be it.

Hmmm. A commenter on FB linked to a Brent Detwiler commentary from earlier this year. Off to read that now...

Interesting comments -- a perfect microcosm of evagelical/Calvinist responses. 

Lots of "he who is without sin" and "satan got 'im" w/ a nice mix of "prayin' for ya, bro" leavened with a pinch of "WTF happened?" and "not surprised". 

I thought it was interesting they said his church would support him. I don't even think he's seen there that often, plus he's not very well-regarded in the church community as a whole. While people respect his father, when Jr. is on the docket for a conference, his session attendance is down. He's never been allowed to preach at the church attached to Ligonier that I know of. His past does follow him and the wider Reformed/PCA community is aware and not indulging it. Sr. knows that. The uber fundies sure love it by the gallons (it's as if they think he's the second coming of his father), but not everyone is blindly drinking the Sproul Jr. kook-aid. 

...I meant to say Kool-Aid but I'll leave it how it is. It fits.

I'm reeeally curious to find out what prompted Spanky's sudden exit. What marvelous online services did he sign up for but never use this time?!

This more or less big scandal makes me feel really sorry for his kids who are already suffering from the death of their mother. He is so full om himself that he can't even see the damage he is doing. He makes me really mad.

Is Spanky heading to Reno to become a Ligonier remittance man?

That said, there are worse places to live.  It's under an hour to Tahoe. 

On 12/13/2016 at 9:40 AM, MamaJunebug said:

But probably not.  But seeing the late Mrs. Denise Sproul in several photos, wearing a scarf that indicates she was in some kind of medical treatment,

She had a long battle with cancer.  Not that this contradicts the stories of Junior's fondness for spanking.

On 12/13/2016 at 11:56 AM, hoipolloi said:

A commenter on FB linked to a Brent Detwiler commentary from earlier this year. Off to read that now...

I thought Brent was nearly as nutty as Spanky!

32 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

From Darby Sproul Stouffer's FB page, posted publicly:

Well, if Daddy has been run out of town then she lost her job.

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, if Daddy has been run out of town then she lost her job.

Yeah, but... She didn't need to post about it. 

1 minute ago, DomWackTroll said:

Yeah, but... She didn't need to post about it. 

Yep, what a tease.  Is it possible that the kids have dumped Spanky too?

Spit it out Darby dear, what's the story?  

Darby has her own little cottage industry going with three employees; booking Daddy's engagements was likely not anywhere near a full-time job.

Wonder if there is a schism in Sproul World.  Like somebody OMG! implied that maybe Works were important and not just Grace Alone. 

I have to admit that i do wonder why he left Ligonier.  I know he just got married, but the announcement makes it sound like there's more to it than Jr. just wanting time to bond with his new blended family now that he's married. He was reinstated after the Ashley Madison suspension, so it doesn't make sense for that the be the cause either.  There are quite a few people in my childhood church who are close with his father and/or him, but they seem to be in the dark about the situation, too.  Part of me feels really guilty for even being curious but because this family and their ministry  have meant a lot to me (at least Sr's work does) and to members of my family, I can't help wondering what is happening and being worried about the kids.  I know this must be stressful for RC SR and his wife, too.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Wonder if there is a schism in Sproul World.  Like somebody OMG! implied that maybe Works were important and not just Grace Alone. 

The source isn't reliable (bloody Kershaw again) but Spanky was supposed to have been in trouble over paedocommunion years ago.   http://hushmoney.org/rc_sproul_jr_paedocommunion.htm

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Darby has her own little cottage industry going with three employees; booking Daddy's engagements was likely not anywhere near a full-time job.

...because feeding the poor is a waste of time when you could be debating headcoverings and Christ-MASS on the Puritan Board!

11 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

...because feeding the poor is a waste of time when you could be debating headcoverings and Christ-MASS on the Puritan Board!

Just because you mentioned it: I remember a few years ago Darby was still wearing a headcovering or am I mistaken? They get so mixed up in my beliefs that I tend to get really confused. Sorry, if this is a dumd question.

16 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I can't help wondering what is happening and being worried about the kids.

I'm not clear about the kids.  There are two grown kids (Darby and the son who moved to Reno). How many younger kids are there and ages?  Are they living with Junior and the new wife?

It's confusing because I've seen Denise in many headcoverings, both before and after her illness, but I don't know if it was ever a hard-and-fast rule with them. 

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I'm not clear about the kids.  There are two grown kids (Darby and the son who moved to Reno). How many younger kids are there and ages?  Are they living with Junior and the new wife?

Lisa posted pics on FB of the younger kids on Donovan's recent birthday, and they were clearly with her and Spanky. Everything seemed normal because Vesta Sproul (Spanky's mother) posted an approving comment. 

Darby wears a headcovering, but I'm not sure her sisters do. RC has advocated wearing a headcovering, but it's not required at the church where he preaches, so you get an odd mix of women who do, and women who don't. 

On 12/13/2016 at 6:40 AM, MamaJunebug said:

ISB pass bought & paid for, but did he slap The New Mrs. Sproul, Jr., around once the wedding bands were on?

Lisa has led a life of achievement, which I know doesn't inoculate anyone from having DV tried upon them, but mayhaps he did and she spoke up and they said "Here's your trust fund, buh-bye, Mr. Liability."

But probably not.  But seeing the late Mrs. Denise Sproul in several photos, wearing a scarf that indicates she was in some kind of medical treatment, and smiling bravely ... thinking about the humiliations she endured at her headship's whim ... oh, puts me in a very sad mood indeed.

She died of cancer, I believe. I remember reading somewhere, someone railing against her husband's insisting on junk food and unhealthy meals (don't remember the details; unhealthy compared to? maybe she was being told to cook organic or something while she was fighting cancer) as an example of his abuse.

This is entirely hearsay as I no longer remember where I read this...

Now two Facebook friends have responded to Darby's unemployment post: one by posting a crying emoji and the other by posting "Sorry..." 

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Now two Facebook friends have responded to Darby's unemployment post: one by posting a crying emoji and the other by posting "Sorry..." 

And she's selling off an over-priced copy of the ESV Reformation Study Bible on sale at Ligonier for $20+ more.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived