IGNORED

While you are trick or treating a child will be sacrificed! (and it's your fault)

Fruitcake

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday.  It's all about fun and pumpkin carving, and dressing up and candy and roaming my small home town with a pack of friends trick or treating. There were people who gave out homemade toffee apples and popcorn balls and at the end of the night you poured out the bag and sorted good candy (chocolate bars) from bad (circus peanuts - shudder). In my neighborhood (now in the big city) it's still like that

Even though I'm Catholic Halloween was no big.  It was like a mini Mardi Gras before the solemnity of All Saints and All Souts days immediately after

Only the extreme fundies in my Southern town thought Halloween was satanic, but they thought everything was of the devil --women cutting their hair, pants or shorts on women, jewelry (even wedding rings), make-up, rock music, TV and radio except for religious programs, higher education for women, etc., etc. Mostly everything that wasn't attending church 4 times a week and Bible study meetings.

I'm not sure they went as far as believing in ritual baby sacrifice on Halloween.  Although they did believe that Catholics weren't Christians and were up to some very, very weird unChristian rituals involving statues of the Madonna and the saints.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, lawfulevil said:

That sounds really food-safe. And appetizing. Nothing like that great burning plastic smell to add interest to dessert.

(Don't burn plastic, folks - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/6/2/1096855/-PSA-Burning-Plastic-Can-Kill-You )

Safety...was not a priority. A friend of mine caught fire while trying to roast a hot dog. No injuries but he couldn't wear that shirt again.

17 hours ago, Destiny said:

Sigh. I get so tired of the evil witches sacrifice babies to Satan on Halloween shit. Show me the proof people!

FTR, I consider myself pagan, and the evil pagans I know all celebrate Samhain.....sans blood sacrifices. 

Pretty sure we saw a video (possibly made by the prophecy club? It all runs together at this point) where ex-warlocks described in detail how they would do ritual child sacrifices. That's 30 minutes of my life I could have done without. 

My guess is that the commercialization of Halloween in the US began when adults began celebrating it in large numbers, because it meant that companies could market elaborate adult costumes and merchandise for adult Halloween parties. The costumes for kids also seem to have become more based on licensed characters than fictional ghosts, witches, goblins, etc., so even those aren't really scary or based in the occult. However, it would not surprise me to learn that some fundies dislike the idea of wearing any sort of costume; the Duggars seemed uncomfortable with putting on Biblical costumes to be extras in that religious play that was shown in 19KAC, but it's been some time since I saw that, so I could be wrong.

On 10/27/2016 at 1:33 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

My guess is that the commercialization of Halloween in the US began when adults began celebrating it in large numbers,

And pets. Pet costumes are everywhere. I won’t lie, my cat has a little vampire cape. I snap it on him and take a picture every with him beside the  jack-o'-lantern. 

I'm surprised he'll let you put it on him.  China was already declawed when I adopted her, but she has teeth and knows how to use them. :pb_lol:

I'm surprised he'll let you put it on him.  China was already declawed when I adopted her, but she has teeth and knows how to use them.

I think the secret is just go for something simple, no legs holes or anything. Something that is as easy as putting on a collar. Then take the picture really quick. Also I have a really  docile cat. I've never even heard him hiss. 

I am going to a Hallowe'en party tonight, dressed as 'Harlot of Satan'. . . 

Well actually I am going as Gypsy Rose, since it is a themed party where you have to be a person, and I have burlesque type clothes and boas, from my buresquersize days, and I don't have to spend money. I'm stoked. I think Harlot of Satan may offend people, and I don't know the hosts, so I will settle for Gypsy Rose. She is likely considered the former, by some fundies, somewhere. I love Halloween parties, and it has been a few years. We were fundies, growing up, and  Halloween was ok, but burlesque would have been a sin because dancing is. 

My very Catholic (Irish-American) parents let us do anything for Halloween but Mischief Night or Devil's Night was Dad's focus. He was not going to have our house and car egged or soaped or vandalized in any way. He sat under a tree in the he front yard with a baseball bat, ready to yell at teenagers. He was an old coot before his time... much more mellow in is old age.

9 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Her posts are so poorly written. I feel a little bad because she strikes me as really poorly educated.   Just read this grammar-free  stream of consciousness - it's a Taryn-like mess:

http://pennyraine.com/blog/2016/07/ice-cream-road-trips-and-family/

Well....that was.....something.  I'll have to save this rabbit hole for later.  I have studying to do.  

I could NOT follow her train of thought in that post. Even though it was short, it seemed to be all over the place. She doesn't cite any examples, and I'm *pretty* sure that if wanton child blood sacrifices were happening every October 31st, it would be on the news and arrests would be made (maybe I'm naive). It's like saying "When you go to the gym, puppies are getting repeatedly kicked in the face by Nazi sympathizers." One thing has nothing to do with the other, and there seems to be no factual basis at all for that statement.

Then again, these are fundies we are talking about... I'm a fool to expect logic or facts.

(As I mentioned in another thread... Halloween isn't for me; but if you enjoy it, you do you and HAVE FUN!)

1 hour ago, PopRox said:

<snip> She doesn't cite any examples, and I'm *pretty* sure that if wanton child blood sacrifices were happening every October 31st, it would be on the news and arrests would be made (maybe I'm naive).<snip>

Pay attention: the babies are bred to be sacrificed, thus no news coverage because they aren't kidnapping anyone or killing babies known to anyone. It's part of the conspiracy. 

Getting the timing just right, plus almost 10 months of pregnancy, plus labor and delivery... sounds like a lot of effort for one sacrifice when I'm pretty sure any Dark Lord in question also takes Bitcoin. Don't you think?

On 26/10/2016 at 3:55 PM, purple_summer said:

Our "church" used to do a Holy Ghost devil roast. No candy but we did get s'mores roasted over the burning remains of our CDs, movies, and other cursed things- all set to the soundtrack of Carmen's greatest hits. 

I'm pretty sure we burned a piñata one year. 

I've actually never been struck dumb before, but this has done it.

On 27/10/2016 at 5:14 PM, purple_summer said:

Pretty sure we saw a video (possibly made by the prophecy club? It all runs together at this point) where ex-warlocks described in detail how they would do ritual child sacrifices. That's 30 minutes of my life I could have done without. 

Mother of God.

On 2016-10-26 at 5:15 PM, samurai_sarah said:

I agree with all of your post, except for that.

Do you celebrate the 30th of April? If you don't, do I get to call you stupid and a bigot? I don't think you are either if you don't, I think you don't know the cultural significance. In the very Catholic region of Germany that I come from, the 30th of April is known as Hexennacht (literally "witches' night"). No one dresses up, no one trick or treats, children and teenagers just trick. It's just making mischief, and no one can blame you, because it was "the witches".

Halloween, on the other hand, is just a foreign holiday. We don't celebrate it, because...why would we? It just isn't meaningful. That doesn't make us stupid and/or bigots. It just means that we don't consider Halloween culturally significant, just like probably most of FJ wouldn't consider celebrating the 30th of April.

FundieWatcher didn't call anyone stupid, especially not people who don't like/celebrate/know about Halloween. They said that it's bigoted to dismiss American things as inherently stupid.

I'm more that a bit miffed everyone thinks of Halloween as an American thing...unless you mean North American, of course. Halloween has always been a big deal in Canada as well. I'm actually really sad that every year fewer houses are doing it, and so are fewer kids. This year there were almost no kids out in my neighbourhood. Every previous year, there's been crowds of kids at at least half the houses and kids running all around the place. This year it was like a ghost town out there.

It was really quiet here this year too. I think we got about 20 total, mostly whole families (2-3 at a time). That seems kind of low considering how many kids the right age live in our neighborhood. I see families biking/walking when I walk the dog all the time.

On the other hand, I see TONS of businesses (the auto mall? REALLY?) doing "safe trick or treat" activities, and those were rare when I was little. Some of them cost money! Churches sometimes had that kind of thing when I was a kid, but not every church, and nobody charged admission.

I'm so old the neighbors still gave out caramel apples and popcorn balls when I was a kid... and nobody seriously thought they'd have razor blades in them.

I didn't get anybody(which is weird because I live in an apartment complex with quite a few young kids).

Oh well, three bags of candy all for MEEEE! :pb_lol:

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, FundieWatcher said:

I have a theory that the strong anti Halloween stance some fundies have is rooted in anti Catholicism.  Since Halloween manifested from All Saints' Day Eve. Fundies are aganist pretty much everything that All Saints' Day is for; saints, relics and commemorating or communicating with the dead.  

So does that mean that I'll be going to Hell for visiting the graves of my great-grandmother, cousin and grandmother the day before Halloween? Sometimes Fundie thinking is just so wacky.  :: shrugs ::

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I didn't get anybody(which is weird because I live in an apartment complex with quite a few young kids).

Oh well, three bags of candy all for MEEEE! :pb_lol:

I watched a cooking show on the food network yesterday, & they showed a few recipes that you can make with leftover candy. The recipes did look interesting.

7 hours ago, LadyBlue said:

FundieWatcher didn't call anyone stupid, especially not people who don't like/celebrate/know about Halloween. They said that it's bigoted to dismiss American things as inherently stupid.

(snip)

That would indeed be stupid, but my point was about holidays lacking relevance, when taken out of their specific cultural context. It's neither dismissive, nor bigoted for people from my region in Germany to call Halloween an American holiday. We also call the 14th of July (Bastille Day) a French holiday.

When "American" is used in a derogatory way, then yes, I fully agree with you. That;s stupid and bigoted.

On 10/29/2016 at 11:22 PM, lawfulevil said:

Getting the timing just right, plus almost 10 months of pregnancy, plus labor and delivery... sounds like a lot of effort for one sacrifice when I'm pretty sure any Dark Lord in question also takes Bitcoin. Don't you think?

If I'm remembering correctly, it often wasn't babies but toddler/kindergarten age kids. I think 5 was the magic age. I'd go down the rabbit hole and try to find the video but lord knows I don't need any more triggers right now.  

Ritual infant sacrifice is for the abortionists.

If I'm remembering correctly, it often wasn't babies but toddler/kindergarten age kids. I think 5 was the magic age. I'd go down the rabbit hole and try to find the video but lord knows I don't need any more triggers right now.  
Ritual infant sacrifice is for the abortionists.

You might think she is kidding. She isn't. I heard this shit as a child too.

Archived