IGNORED

My friend saw Mama Duggar in the grocery store

Kitchen Princess

5 hours ago, Jessie E said:

Can she even brush her hair anymore or is it just that matted together??

I have curly hair that is actually taken care of (at least, I think I take care of it). Most people with curly hair don't brush it, as it ruins the curls, makes it poofy, and, most importantly, HURTS! It takes me at least 30 minutes to brush my hair when I want to straighten it, and it's the most painful thing ever. I don't even want to imagine what Michelle would feel. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brushing Michelle's mess would turn it into a huge mass of poof and frizz.  Conditioner and a very wide tooth comb are much more likely to result in at least a tended look if she isn't going to straighten it.

My friends with super curly hair use their fingers to gently detangle it. They say a brush is the worse thing to use. And moisturizer is key. But curls can act differently in different people. It depends on wave pattern & length, etc. My hair gets waves if I don't comb when it is air drying, just a  quick comb right after shampooing. You have to try various techniques to see what works best with your hair. We are not all the same & can't all  match  .

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I have curly hair that is actually taken care of (at least, I think I take care of it). Most people with curly hair don't brush it, as it ruins the curls, makes it poofy, and, most importantly, HURTS! It takes me at least 30 minutes to brush my hair when I want to straighten it, and it's the most painful thing ever. I don't even want to imagine what Michelle would feel. 

So true. I have wavy hair/slightly curly, and then I wake up looking like medusa but brushing it makes it into a frizzy poof. Which is why I have my hair up so often:pb_lol: My hair has a mind of it's own.

22 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Brushing Michelle's mess would turn it into a huge mass of poof and frizz.  Conditioner and a very wide tooth comb are much more likely to result in at least a tended look if she isn't going to straighten it.

I thought Meechelle's curls were chemically induced, like all the perms Jana, Jessa, and Jill had. Jinger of course has naturally curly hair which I would like to trim.....6-8". At least. Yeah. 

No matter how Michelle's hair got it's curl, brushing it would end with the same result.  I tend to think her hair is naturally curly and she has never wanted to go to the effort to straighten it every day.  On that one I wouldn't blame her but she could definitely get it cut so that it looks better and do something else with it for special occasions. 

I get feeling she has more "me time" than once a week trips to the grocery store. What else are stay at home daughters for?

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I have naturally curly hair.  I would rarely straighten my hair myself because it took hours and the end result was never really what I was looking to achieve.  A friend turned me on to the InStyler. It is amazing! I will wash my hair at night. Sleep on it damp so it is already partially flatened and finish with the InStyler in the morning. It is quick and gives me a great result.  Mine is 4 or 5 years old now and still works well.

28 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

So true. I have wavy hair/slightly curly, and then I wake up looking like medusa but brushing it makes it into a frizzy poof. Which is why I have my hair up so often:pb_lol: My hair is a mind of it's own.

Ponytails 5ever

Even though I only have 2b hair (somewhere between wavy and curly), I haven't used a brush in years. My saving grace has been a horn comb. While it's not vegan, it's made of keratin, the same material as hair- this minimizes poof and is much gentler on my hair. It pulls so much less, and I can't use plastic now, it hurts! I swear it keeps my hair cleaner, too- since I started using it, my hair is still fairly clean after a week (!!!) without even getting it wet. Now, I think you can do whatever you want with your own body/hair, but Michelle's looks like it could do with a rest and a little love.

3 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I thought Meechelle's curls were chemically induced, like all the perms Jana, Jessa, and Jill had. Jinger of course has naturally curly hair which I would like to trim.....6-8". At least. Yeah. 

It probably is permed.  I think Jinger's was also permed for a while there, I remember in one of the earlier episodes they were doing an at-home perm on Jinger in the kitchen. It was an episode where they were going on about how thrifty they are, that they even perm their own hair and make their own detergent. 

7 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

It probably is permed.  I think Jinger's was also permed for a while there, I remember in one of the earlier episodes they were doing an at-home perm on Jinger in the kitchen. It was an episode where they were going on about how thrifty they are, that they even perm their own hair and make their own detergent. 

Yes, I remember that perm now that you mention it too, and since I do think her hair is naturally curly, maybe she even said that, I wondered why she permed it also.

Or, maybe I am wrong. I would like to see it trimmed. It must take those girls forever to take care of all that hair. 

Back to the picture,  I thought she "shopped" in her pantry--where the J'boys so nicely stocked all that bulk pasta and pasta sauces.  If she's actually low on the stuff, shouldn't she be taking the ten carts to the big box store and restocking her pantry?

Oh....that's right...silly me...the show is staged.

Just a brief comment on the hair discussion; after Michelle got the birthday makeover with straight hair, she said one of the things she didn't like was that the straight hair was what her hair looks like when she gets out of the shower. If she regularly uses a curling iron or hot rollers to curl her hair, all she would need to do is not curl it. Plus maybe a trim of the damaged ends and a deep conditioning treatment.

That mess isn't created with a curling iron or rollers from straight hair I don't believe.  I think she meant the water takes all the curl out temporarily.  My hair and my granddaughter's hair are straight when we first step out of the bath or shower also.  As it dries it starts spiraling. 

• 3 weeks later...

Michelle has naturally curly hair and Jrssa does as well as well as Josie. I think Jeremiah is the only male to have it as well. It was in the perm episode that they mentioned who has the natural curls

30 minutes ago, HOTW said:

Michelle has naturally curly hair and Jessa does as well as well as Josie. I think Jeremiah is the only male to have it as well. It was in the perm episode that they mentioned who has the natural curls

I think Josie's curls are a lot less crunchy these days, but I really would like to think it's because her hair is losing its curl as she gets older instead of they're not putting oils and things in it any more to keep it curly.

All of y'all with curly hair:I am sooo jealous. I have always had straight hair. My bio mom kept telling me with each baby, "your hair gonna get curly." Three kids later, it just curls a teeny bit on the ends. I have more curls now than I've ever had though since I cut it (-6 to 7 inches)this summer. I repeat: I am soooo jealous!

While I can appreciate a quiet moment alone in a store, as a mom... my critique of the DQ is not on her hair or shoes.  

Bigger picture.....  Pull the camera back to 30,000 feet and look at what she has been a part of, and what she has instilled in her children as "normal social doctrines."

Much more horrifying stuff than either hair or shoes....

On 11/24/2016 at 8:46 PM, MarblesMom said:

While I can appreciate a quiet moment alone in a store, as a mom... my critique of the DQ is not on her hair or shoes.  

Bigger picture.....  Pull the camera back to 30,000 feet and look at what she has been a part of, and what she has instilled in her children as "normal social doctrines."

Much more horrifying stuff than either hair or shoes....

The biggest losers in that whole equation are these kids.

They've been robbed.

Ugh....I just remember when they did the People photo shoot, and she looked lovely. Why oh why does she do that to her hair? I also recall a few times she was on camera helping with births and clearly didn't have time to do the crunchy hair, and she just looked so lovely and like 10 years younger. She really is a beautiful lady when she doesn't try so hard to look awful.

Just a thought, maybe Jimboob doesn't want her to look her best? Maybe (to Jimboob's warped mind), she attracts too much attention, possibly male,  for Boobie's oh so fragile ego when her hair is less crunchy.

1 hour ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Just a thought, maybe Jimboob doesn't want her to look her best? Maybe (to Jimboob's warped mind), she attracts too much attention, possibly male,  for Boobie's oh so fragile ego when her hair is less crunchy.

It definitely could be that since we obviously know Jim Bob has a pretty fragile ego, but I honestly think it's simple. Jim Bob likes the curls for whatever reason(perhaps makes him think of her as his young wife) and that's why she keeps them. To me, that fits in with the whole fundie lifestyle as well, doing what your headship likes.  

Archived