IGNORED

My friend saw Mama Duggar in the grocery store

Kitchen Princess

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Ok Ladies-

Let's all admit that for a lady of 50 years, who has had 19 children and double digit pregnancies, she looks pretty damn good. She makes herself a priority, that is for sure!

ETA- I doubt her girls will fare as well.

That is true.  80's hair and frumpy clothes aside, she does look pretty good. I would look like Jaba the Hut if I had half as many kids. If only to keep JimBoob off of me. 

However, I don't feel a single twinge of guilt for snarking on her. She and JimBoob have hobbled their kids potential. Especially their daughters. It is horrible.  

54 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Compare her normal look to her "gifted" makeover in 2012.  Crazy!

Duggar-mom-makeover.jpg

Yeah, re: "the hair" -- I actually remember that episode and she tried so hard not to look horrified when they revealed the flatironed hair.  She just hated it but didn't want to seem ungrateful.  Lady likes curly hair.  I get it. I do.  My mom (75) has had the same old lady short curly perm since 1963 with next to NO variation on it in my lifetime.  She likes what she likes.  She doesn't care if other people like it.  She doesn't care if it's "fashionable". 

I actually like that about J'chelle.  She modified her "modern modest" wardrobe to placate the TLCers but she will not change her hair.  She's held onto her preference on that front.

Agreed with you @montyollie. Whenever I get my hair braided (cornrows) it's always in the same particular style and everyone is always like switch it up! But it's my style and what I like! Even though Michelle's hair gives me a crunchy look feeling, as long as she's comfortable then it's okay. 

10 minutes ago, montyollie said:

Yeah, re: "the hair" -- I actually remember that episode and she tried so hard not to look horrified when they revealed the flatironed hair.  She just hated it but didn't want to seem ungrateful.  Lady likes curly hair.  I get it. I do.  My mom (75) has had the same old lady short curly perm since 1963 with next to NO variation on it in my lifetime.  She likes what she likes.  She doesn't care if other people like it.  She doesn't care if it's "fashionable". 

I actually like that about J'chelle.  She modified her "modern modest" wardrobe to placate the TLCers but she will not change her hair.  She's held onto her preference on that front.

I remember that episode too -- she was trying so hard to moderate her reaction and be gracious about it, but homegirl was not happy. In fact, there aren't any photos of her from around that time while she was growing it out, at least not that I've been able to find. I'm sure she was terribly self-conscious about it. I wonder if the girls secretly loved it, though in 2012 they were still pretty into their crunchy hair.

31 minutes ago, montyollie said:

Some time back, I saw a picture of her with Josh when he was maybe a year old, and she had more or less the same hairstyle in that as she does now. I think Michelle's devotion to it might have something to do with wanting to pretend she isn't getting older. She wants to still be that young mother everyone fawned over, and her hair is about the only thing she can control toward that end. 

I actually didn't like the new look from the makeover. Now, I don't love her existing style either(!), but I thought the straight hair made her look like Grandma Duggar, and much older. 

Kind of an interesting sighting... for people who are so (in)famous, it's almost weird to think they do their own shopping. And not like the paparazzi shots of various celebs "inconspicuously" going into an LA Whole Foods looking perfect.  I'd assume with the bulk they have to buy they'd just have most things delivered or something. 

3 hours ago, montyollie said:

Yeah, but the whole long curly hair thing is related to Gothard, too. It's hard to tell whether she wears it like that because she favors the hairstyle or because she thinks she better keep it because it's the godliest hairstyle. 

Michelle was awesome in People Mag photo session called "Most beautiful" or something like that. They gave her some fresh look and proper clothes.

And why she always wears these awful shoes, for me looking like dutch clogs?

41 minutes ago, titerlitury said:

Michelle was awesome in People Mag photo session called "Most beautiful" or something like that. They gave her some fresh look and proper clothes.

And why she always wears these awful shoes, for me looking like dutch clogs?

Those shoes are most likely Dansko Professionals. I have several pairs myself, but I don't usually wear them with a skirt, only with pants. They are very popular, especially with people who are on their feet most of the day. They are very comfortable and have an awesome arch support. They are also durable, for example I had a pair that I typically wore five days a week and they lasted 4 years. 

1 hour ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Those shoes are most likely Dansko Professionals. I have several pairs myself, but I don't usually wear them with a skirt, only with pants. They are very popular, especially with people who are on their feet most of the day. They are very comfortable and have an awesome arch support. They are also durable, for example I had a pair that I typically wore five days a week and they lasted 4 years. 

Yep, I've always assumed they were Danskos. They do look odd with her long skirts, but I imagine she needs a lot of arch support after, what, 16 full-term pregnancies? 

As somone with naturally curly hair I don't totally hate her poodle-doo but I think she could chop 8-10" off, still have long Gothardly hair but look much better. Some face framing is definitely needed. Oh, and lose the bangs!

HumbleJillyMuffin thank you, I've never heard about this shoes and I agree, they don't look good with skirt.

She can love her hair all she wants....I still think it's butt ugly!     

(And so very snarkable!)

Danskos. My favorite shoe. I have a high vamp and can't wear the Professionals, but their clogs and their mary janes are wonderful!! I have a difficult size to find, so I'm going to shill for zappos.com here, and say... you can find them there, and if they don't fit, you can send them back for free!

Each time I read this title I get an ear worm. 

'I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus.' !

Im off to listen to Bruce Springsteen. He will cure it.

This photo makes me think that a lot of those "10 Duggars pushing 10 grocery carts" were a load of crap, like a lot else on that show. She probably went with a few of the older kids to help carry the bulk purchases and left the rest at home with one or two of the older girls. 

20 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Each time I read this title I get an ear worm. 

'I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus.' !

Im off to listen to Bruce Springsteen. He will cure it.

I had the same thing, sung by Michael Jackson as a child. Couldn't figure out where it came from.

8 hours ago, lomo6 said:

This photo makes me think that a lot of those "10 Duggars pushing 10 grocery carts" were a load of crap, like a lot else on that show. She probably went with a few of the older kids to help carry the bulk purchases and left the rest at home with one or two of the older girls. 

In one of the shows or interviews she mentioned having to go to the store every couple of days for milk and similar items.

I own a lot of clogs.  I used to wear them daily when I taught. They can be great if you are on your feet for long periods of time or have problem feet. I even own "orthopedic" flip flops. Pregnancy played Hell on my feet, I can't imagine what being pregnant 20+ times would have done to them.  

Let's see 3 out of the 9 jslaves are out of the house. So Michelle must take matters into her own hands. After 20 years she finally has to go to the store alone and cook. 

Sadly, this is probably viewed as a "treat" for her, as in "Once a week, I have scheduled "alone time" that is just for me, so I can go shop for the family." :my_sick:

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:23 PM, SassyPants said:

Truth be told, except for when I'm flying, which admittedly is pretty frequently,  I never wear a watch. I am retired and always have my iPhone on hand, so why would I need a watch?

It seems that there's a clock wherever I am, so no watch for me.  Except while working as a nurse as some meds need to have the patient's pulse checked before getting the med.  Once during a state inspection I had an inspector watching me pass meds.  I was administering digoxin, a heart med requiring a pulse check.  I had my fingers on the lady's wrist and eyes on my watch when I saw to my horror that the second hand wasn't moving.  I glanced at the clock on the wall out of the corner of my eye.  Thankfully the inspector didn't notice.  You can bet I bought a watch on the way home.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

It seems that there's a clock wherever I am, so no watch for me.  Except while working as a nurse as some meds need to have the patient's pulse checked before getting the med.  Once during a state inspection I had an inspector watching me pass meds.  I was administering digoxin, a heart med requiring a pulse check.  I had my fingers on the lady's wrist and eyes on my watch when I saw to my horror that the second hand wasn't moving.  I glanced at the clock on the wall out of the corner of my eye.  Thankfully the inspector didn't notice.  You can bet I bought a watch on the way home.

I was an ICU nurse for 35 years...all the clocks in every unit I worked in had a second hand. In many NICUs, you can not wear a watch, rings or any jewelry. In one unit, there was a clock visible from every bed space.

A quick story about watches and clocks. Once in the ER, I was drawing blood for LE for an alcohol level. I went into the room, got the patient to sign the consent and looked at my watch and dated and timed the consent. Then I drew the blood, walked out of the room and glanced up at the clock to document the draw time on the vials. Fast forward a few months later. I get called to a conference with the District Attorney, Defendants Attorney and hospital attorney. Apparently the time on the vials was 2 minutes BEFORE the consent signing time! I explained what must have happened. My watch on the consent time, the wall clock on the draw time. That's what happens when you use more than one clock. The stupid defense attorney asked me if I "synchronized" my watch with the wall clocks everyday. Luckily, the defendant testified that he signed the consent before I drew the blood and I was not drug into court.

Lesson learned....always use the same clock/watch.

BTW, I have not had a watch on since I retired 10 years ago.

Archived