IGNORED

Jack Chick died

ADoyle90815

24 minutes ago, Phoebe said:

Mmmm.  Delicious Death Cookies, anyone?

I always wondered if a Protestant church used wafers for communion, would it still be a death cookie?

7 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I always wondered if a Protestant church used wafers for communion, would it still be a death cookie?

I'm Episcopalian.  (As the late, great Robin Williams said, Catholic lite.  Same church, half the guilt).   What is used for Communion depends on the specific parish.  Some parishes like the one I'm a member of use the wafers like the Catholics do.  Other parishes use loaves of bread where the rector tears a small piece off the loaf for each person.

So to answer your question, in Chick's mind it was still probably a death cookie since we're just as much a bunch of heathens as the Catholics, if not more so.

I grew up in the United Methodist Church and it was often wafers, but sometimes tortillas... I got the impression that it really didn't matter.

My fundie church used matzohs. Really stale matzohs. Where they found matzohs in Lake Wobegon, where we had just two Jewish families, I do not know but that might explain why they were so stale.

21 hours ago, desertvixen said:

Maybe the Rodriguii will do a special commemorative tract?

Even worse, a musical about his putrid brand of ministry.  Boo fucking hoo to you, Jackass.

20 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Candy will be heartbroken. He was one of her primary sources for 'research' and I don't doubt she is still handing out the tracts. She is very proud to give them to trick or treaters instead of candy.

If I found that she had given my kid one of those, believe me, it would not have ended well.

7 hours ago, smittykins said:

Does the Lutheran church use wafers?

Again I think it would depend on the particular parish.  I think some use the wafers while others use small loaves of bread.

7 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I grew up in the United Methodist Church and it was often wafers, but sometimes tortillas... I got the impression that it really didn't matter.

I think the main thing most churches look for is for the bread to be unleavened.  Some tortillas would count as unleavened bread so maybe that's why the UMC church you were part of said it was OK.   I know the Catholic church gets really, really particular on their communion bread and insist that it be made of wheat with gluten, which is why they gave people who can't take gluten such a hard time for wanting gluten free wafers. 

I just read the synopsis of the "lisa" tract. That is horrible and horrifying. I don't think David Rodruiges is going to be able to pick up that set of reins, though. I doubt he has the talent for drawing or the imagination for the storylines. Or, I should say, I hope not. This stuff needs to die.

My cousin, who has gone back and forth between being fundie and then not fundie (he's back to being fundie now), was sending these tracts in Christmas cards and cased the kitchen at my cousin's wedding to hand them out to the staff.  Not kidding. 

Highly doubt David R will be able to follow in his footsteps simply because how long has he been doing this printing ministry and how far has he gotten with it?  Doesn't seem very far so he would really have to pick up the pace to step in Chick's shoes.

I read the Lisa comic and majorly need the brain bleach. :brainbleach:  What was he thinking?? 
When Mr. Knees and I first heard the news, we had a good laugh about the kitsch value of his comics. After reading that Lisa comic though, I really can't even laugh about it. That is such a dangerous message to dare spread.

How about Uninvited?  Although nowhere near as revolting as "Lisa," the idea that being raped gives you a "demon of defilement," and that when she manages to crawl to the church, they don't call the police or an ambulance, they pray over her to "exorcise the demon,"...

:huh:

The Bible Reloaded has read a lot of the Chick tracts on their You Tube channel.  They actually read Lisa, the most offensive tract of them all in their most recent episode.  

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

How about Uninvited?  Although nowhere near as revolting as "Lisa," the idea that being raped gives you a "demon of defilement," and that when she manages to crawl to the church, they don't call the police or an ambulance, they pray over her to "exorcise the demon,"...

:huh:

And if they hadn't exorcised the demon she might have become a Lesbian, or worse! What a horrible, evil man Chick was. I hope it's enough for him to believe in hell for him to be burning there right now.

On 10/25/2016 at 0:52 PM, smittykins said:

Does the Lutheran church use wafers?

We use whole wheat wafers and real wine. There is also white grape juice for those who can't drink alcohol. ELCA. 

On 10/25/2016 at 9:43 AM, fundiefan said:

Candy will be heartbroken. He was one of her primary sources for 'research' and I don't doubt she is still handing out the tracts. She is very proud to give them to trick or treaters instead of candy.

Well, they seem very suitable for halloween. Would scare me to death if I was a kid. :twisted: 

On 26.10.2016 at 11:58 PM, FloraKitty35 said:

The Bible Reloaded has read a lot of the Chick tracts on their You Tube channel.  They actually read Lisa, the most offensive tract of them all in their most recent episode.  

Bible Reloaded is how I found out he had died. My first thought was "I wonder what people on FJ are talking about"

This week's "Stupid Comics" segment focuses on Jack Chick's longer comics aimed at adults:

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/stupidcomics508.html

As successful as Chick was in terms of sheer output, I have to wonder if these comics really changed anyone's mind. They're like a comedy sketch's idea of what a Christian fundamentalist thinks, but Chick was 100% serious.

@Cleopatra7 This article on what reading Chick Tracts was like was interesting:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/obituary-for-jack-chick-evangelical-cartoonist

Includes:

I found much of it to be utterly morally reprehensible, which it is. His politics came from the quasi-fascist John Birch society; his theology bypassed all the millennia of existential grappling with the Bible and tradition, powered by a very un-Christlike self-satisfaction and hate. But his cartoons were always so lurid, so gaudy, tactless and fundamentally stupid that they were effectively defanged; all his poisonous ideology was neutered by the sheer silliness of its presentation. They were, each of them, a beautiful piece of fundamentalist kitsch.

(ETA I disagree that he's harmless - but I've only ever been introduced to them in terms of "this is the stupidest/craziest thing I've ever seen", and laughing about who it could possibly actually convert, while gasping with horror at things like 'Lisa' and all the others.

Archived