IGNORED

What jobs are "non working" Fundy women allowed to do?

Lurky

I generally have that fascinated-horror, looking at Fundy women, but I've been wondering about the whole "women shouldn't work, but be SAHMs" thing - and how massively hypocritical the average Fundy shilling this is.  I know there are the ones who believe it's ok for women to work inside the home under their headship's stewarding, BUT I wanted to collect a list of jobs that "non-working" women are allowed to do - can you help?

And for FJers who've got experience in the Fundy lifestyle, how is this justified?

So, jobs "non working women" can do. 

• Teaching other women - public speaking at conferences and such, running courses etc (for filthy lucre) - eg the Duggar women
  • Writing for money - eg Lori Alexander, the Duggar girls, Sarah Maxwell, Marjorie etc
  • Blogging for money - Sweet Modesty etc - with cash for adverts, product placement etc
  • Appearing on TV (even though TV is sinful) - Bateseseses, Duggars, everyone else aspires to this
  • Singing in public for cash - the Boyers, Rodriguii etc
  • Selling CDS - and presumably concerts too?  How does Erin Bates sell her stuff?
  • Photography - so many of them
  • Illustration, graphic design (presumably they have to meet clients??)
  • Web design and media work - the Smiths etc
  • Working as a tutor for families that believe women shouldn't work (Tabitha Paine)
  • Un-licensed midwifery (Jill Duggar), Doula etc
  • Selling fashion items on Etsy - and other online shops (thinking of Fresh Modesty and others)
  • Flipping houses and selling cars in a car lot - Duggars - can't work out if doing it or pretending to do it is more hypocritical
  • The weird "live like us" lifestyle promotion for money
  • Working in one's father's business

What am I missing?  And what's the difference between, eg, web-building at home and, I don't know, copy-editing?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farming and selling at farmer's market. Where I used to live, there was a fundie family with an adult daughter who sold at the farmer's market with her family.

MLM's @Lurky! Plexus, LilaRose(?), Thirty One (which I just found out is called Thirty One like the Proverbs Chapter on SAHM-ing), Thrive, ItWorks....

Just now, Lurky said:

@TeddyBonkers How could I forget MLMing, and of course, general begging for cash??

Have you not been drinking your Plexus? I hear that it helps SEVERE forgetfulness!

Don't forget Sierra with her hand-dipped strawberries and her wedding/party planning!

23 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

MLM's @Lurky! Plexus, LilaRose(?), Thirty One (which I just found out is called Thirty One like the Proverbs Chapter on SAHM-ing), Thrive, ItWorks....

OMG, I never made that connection. My sisters in law and nieces all carry Thirty One purses around and talk about how great they are. I'll stick to my thrifted Vera Bradley.

@Bethella Yes!  I've always wondered if Sierra is paid for all that (or if she does it for free in the hopes of a spin-off series of her own) - but for some reason, anything to do with weddings doesn't count as work...  I have no idea why...

1 minute ago, Lurky said:

@Bethella Yes!  I've always wondered if Sierra is paid for all that (or if she does it for free in the hopes of a spin-off series of her own) - but for some reason, anything to do with weddings doesn't count as work...  I have no idea why...

I remember a whole discussion (around Valentine's Day maybe?) about how overpriced her hand-dipped strawberries were. Not sure if she's paid for the wedding/party planning.

I have a fundamentalist friend who makes candles and soap made from products they've grown/raised on their small farm. Another friend who's not quite as much into fundamentalism sells her yarn work at craft fairs.

Childcare (babysitting/nanny) (Michael)

volunteer fire fighter (Jana)

Doing hair and makeup for fundie weddings 

sewing

cleaning (Alyssa)

Btw these long lists of jobs fundie women have had makes me want to throw up. These women are doing all the housework and childcare while also working? And I'm sure their headships get to sit on their butt all the time. Because penis.

Yeah, I'd throw sewing/making clothes in there. See Zsu's modest swimwear line. Plus Erin also teaches piano from home.

Baking goods and selling them seems common. Sierra's strawberries come to mind. She also sold homemade apple butter. I noticed some will sell handmade crocheted items. If their husbands don't make enough cash, the wives have to supplement income. Nannying and babysitting also works.

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Because penis.

This made me laugh.

I grew up with 3 older brothers.  My uncle passed away earlier this year and left his estate to me to sort out.  At every step of the process my Mother would ask what my brothers thought of my decisions.  My SIL got a bit frustrated with this and asked me why Mum was doing this, I replied 'because I don't have a penis'.

We now have included this in our regular conversations, because a penis is necessary for decision making in my family apparently. ( My brothers are very happy they do not have to deal with the estate.)

I think anything self employed is in the OK territory.  If you are self employed then you won't have to bake any gay cakes for gay weddings.  You can reject any customer for not being the kind of person you want to associate with.  Even if these women do have an undesirable customer they can use it as an opportunity to set said customer on the "right" path or justify the business as taking money from a sinner so the sinner can't spend it sinning. 

For those women who are fully imersed in the kool-aid, having a job that would require her to go to the same place with the same people everyday  who wouldn't change to suit her would be too hard to handle. For those women who may still be capable of independent thought, hubby can't take the risk that wifey might question her lifestyle. 

Selling  homemade soap  and bath products was a big thing for a while. I guess it has faded away. Oddly childcare , one of the things they would be best equipped for,  doesn't make the list. You would think fundies could run daycare/after school no problem. What is a couple more kids when you already have 10 or more? Plus the older girls are home so mom may not even need to do much. If Sarah Maxwell had been running an in-home daycare for the last decade she could have bought her own debt-free house. 

59 minutes ago, FundieWatcher said:

Selling  homemade soap  and bath products was a big thing for a while. I guess it has faded away. Oddly childcare , one of the things they would be best equipped for,  doesn't make the list. You would think fundies could run daycare/after school no problem. What is a couple more kids when you already have 10 or more? Plus the older girls are home so mom may not even need to do much. If Sarah Maxwell had been running an in-home daycare for the last decade she could have bought her own debt-free house. 

That would make perfect sense, wouldn't it? But come to think of it, providing daycare would mean that you're helping other women work away from home. Can't be having that, now. :naughty:

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

That would make perfect sense, wouldn't it? But come to think of it, providing daycare would mean that you're helping other women work away from home. Can't be having that, now. :naughty:

Especially if it would mean your precious blessing being contaminated by spending time with the children of nasty heathens, they might start getting worldly ideas like wanting to go to school and stuff.

7 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

I think anything self employed is in the OK territory.  If you are self employed then you won't have to bake any gay cakes for gay weddings.  You can reject any customer for not being the kind of person you want to associate with.  Even if these women do have an undesirable customer they can use it as an opportunity to set said customer on the "right" path or justify the business as taking money from a sinner so the sinner can't spend it sinning. 

For those women who are fully imersed in the kool-aid, having a job that would require her to go to the same place with the same people everyday  who wouldn't change to suit her would be too hard to handle. For those women who may still be capable of independent thought, hubby can't take the risk that wifey might question her lifestyle. 

I think it is more about exposure to the outside world than about the specifics of any job.

So as soon your as your job gives you any independent income or enables independent thought: it's evil.

Obviously,  this starts long before picking up any real occupation,  as any sort of higher education will lead to the same thing.  :my_dodgy:

Archived