IGNORED

Women Wouldn’t Need Tampons If They Had Any Self-Control

doggie

I agree as well. I mean don't these people take biology? We learned about sexual reproduction and the menstrual cycle there as well. I guess if you were ultra religious you probably wouldn't take biology either but for love of god. This kind of ignorance cannot continue. 

I went to a Catholic (all girls) high school. We were taught about the biology and about menstrual cycles. I even took anatomy so we got down to what hormone is released at what day and have sperm mature. The nuns were fine with that. We just didn't learn about birth control. Officially anyway. A few discussions of how the pill worked were part of the anatomy lessons. 

My husband, in his late 30s, was quite astonished to learn that women do not pee out of their vaginas. He never thought periods were optional, he just thought the uterine lining did its thing and it had little to do with urine. You'd just take out the tampon, use the facilities, and put a new one in. I see it from his point of view, though- if nobody told you differently, and you know that embryos all start out with the same plumbing...

Still, there's a huge difference between some incorrect but semi-logical assumptions about anatomy and assuming that just about half of all humans are trying to pull some scam for... mysterious benefits? What on Earth do they think we'll do with slightly less exorbitantly priced tampons? Christmas tree ornaments?

What's sad is that this guy has probably had sex with at least one woman. Whom I both feel for and whose taste I question.

But I digress -- the fact that people don't learn the most basic biology and anatomy lessons is disturbing. I don't know if he's a product of the British school system (which I assumed was pretty good about that sort of thing, at least in state-run places) or just monumentally stupid.

Though I do wish that my anatomy worked like how he stupidly assumes it does; it would be nice to just get all of that gunk out in one go in the bathroom instead of playing the "gooch sweat or leaked through" game throughout the day, or having to remember to buy tampons and pads (though now I have an IUD, which makes me not have periods. Awww yiss).

I went to college with a girl who did not know what sex was.  Literally had no clue that a man put his penis in a woman's vagina and that was sex.  Her ultra conservative mother homeschooled her her entire life and shielded her from everything.  It was terrifying to think about how this girl was set up to be a victim of the first boy who wanted her.

How did I miss this delightful thread?  And, may I just take a moment to thank @doggie for bringing it to us?  Doggie, you never fail to deliver the goods. 

Anyway, how much easier would it be?  Just go to bathroom and expel pee and blood before, say, cheerleading or hiking!  I had my period when I got married. Dragsville. Watched the Jerry Lewis telethon instead. I could have just peed it all away!  

And I, too, thought it was going to be about the evils of the insertion-of-the-tampon process. God, I'm an idiot. 

On 10/21/2016 at 4:27 PM, Mercer said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think parents should be able to opt their kids out of basic sexual and reproductive education at a government funded school. There are plenty of subjects that aren't considered negotiable - you can't opt your child out of math or learning to read - and I think that learning the functions of the human body is just as important for becoming a functional and healthy adult. If you don't want your kids to learn those things, you can pay for a different schooling option or home school. If the government is funding the education, the children should be learning accurate information about the human body in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more!  My 7th grade daughter came home with a paper for me to sign, informing me that the Health Educators at the Health Dept., in cooperation with the schools, "will be offering Postponing Sexual Involvement"  during regular class time.  But if we wanted to opt out  because we feel even mentioning sex in the room with our innocent little 7th graders was too much, we needed to sign the paper saying our little snookums cannot attend the class.

Oh, my daughter and I both want to have her miss the class - but only because she's already had a fully involved, plain-spoken, and factual education on sexual involvement, how her periods work and where the blood comes from, how boys bodies work during puberty as well, and how to know when her emotional and physical selves line up to decide if she's ready for sexual involvement.  She also knows how smart abstinence is during this stage in this life.  I feel a little bit, though, that opting her out will send the message that we feel she's too delicate to know what her body does and how to say No.  I don't want to encourage these people to teach sex ed as a "DO NOT DO IT!" only option.  She doesn't want to go because being preached to about sexual involvement by people she doesn't know is condescending, and more personal than she wants to get with strangers.  We're still thinking about it.

Just one more reason I hate living in Kentucky.

• 1 month later...

I think I remember reading that some women do learn how to control their menstrual bleeding, but it's very rare and very difficult and has nothing to do with bladder control.

I personally am team menstrual cup. Sometimes I even buy new cups I don't technically need just Cuz I want to change up the color.

On October 21, 2016 at 1:08 PM, just...sare said:

So a few years ago I was at a friend's house when I had a leak, all over his couch. I was freaking out, but he was just calmly helping me clean the couch cushion in the laundry room sink. He's a pretty chill guy, has an older sister, is the only guy friend in a group of girls, etc.

We're drying the cushion with a hair dryer when he really casually (and genuinely) asks "Where were you bleeding from, anyway?" 

At this point I would just lie. If he didn't figure it out, I don't want to explain it. 

On 2016-10-21 at 11:39 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

I've often thought that if I could just hold menstrual blood in and expel it all at once in the bathroom, that life would be so much simpler. But the female body doesn't work that way, and now that I think of it, having the vagina and the bladder connected in that manner would probably cause more problems than it would be worth.

No kidding! I tried to in my first few periods, but it didn't work. Didn't this guy refuse to listen to someone try to explain the anatomy? That's the worst part. At least try to learn!

• 4 months later...

The interview with the guy had me going WTH.  Honestly does he not know how to flipping use Google to learn a simple biology lesson of how menstruation works.  Interesting when asked about a separate topic he's all I need to research, but for his previous statements no research needed.  He's doubling down on his stupidity. I think it is safe to say his girlfriend is going holy hell I knew he wasn't the brightest bulb, but he's epically stupid and has dumped him.  I also hate this idea of men thinking they have a voice on a product they do not use and will never use.  After all you don't hear woman weighing in on jock straps saying well it's a luxury item and of course it should be taxed as a luxury.  This reminded me of men complaining about paying for pregnancy care in the healthcare debates of late.  Once again female legislators don't retort back with well I don't want to pay for prostate exams and treatment for prostate cancer.   Side note when the hell did willful ignorance become something to champion, while intellectuals are derided as elitist and out of touch. 

On 10/20/2016 at 10:53 PM, withaj said:

OK, I can't resist.

The ignorance is astounding. I was expecting some pro-pad tampons-are-the-Devils-work-and-compromise-female-chastity whackadoodle fundie activist, but NOOO, this is worse.

Years ago I worked with a woman who told me her pastor did not allow his wife or daughters to use tampons.  

I also recall that in the last five years or so, the guest of a conservative radio host thought that the uterus of a woman who used birth control was filled with tiny dead fetuses.  So, epic fail on basic female biology for this guy, who was a grown ass married man.  Jeeze. 

• 4 weeks later...

In Australia pads and tampons are subject to the GST/General Sales Tax as non-essential items but condoms are not taxed as they are considered essential items.

My husband was livid when he learned that and he will rant at length whenever he's reminded of it. He was pretty well educated about periods, thinks they're totally normal and not gross at all, knew women don't pee from their vaginas and other common misconceptions. The only thing he didn't really realise is that periods are the uterine lining being shed specifically. He's really great about the subject of periods and feminine hygiene and I am super grateful for that.

• 2 months later...

Well, if women can control their periods, then obviously men can control their erections! Seriously though, tampons, pads, DivaCups, whatever, are essentials, do men want women bleeding everywhere because if so, I will happily stop buying these expensive things. Also, about the bladder control thing: Especially as a woman gets older and after going through multiple pregnancies, women may need liners or pads to help with some incontinence caused by aging and the weakening of the pelvic floor muscles. I wish men would just ask or Google whenever they were curious about female anatomy, it's what I do when I have a question about male anatomy. 

Archived