IGNORED

Roots of Royals Wife School

BackseatMom

I scrolled across a public post in my Facebook feed today that I had to share:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2016-10-20-07-19-10.png

Their website is nuts. Their t-shirts have the slogan "man leads." I haven't had time to dig too deep, but I knew you all would want to see this. www.rootsofroyals.com

"Work is for men", but "she teaches Wife School to prepare women for marriage based on international collective wisdom about love, marriage, family, and sex" - courses that people pay to attend....  I never, ever, ever get this, I'm in full on cognitive-dissonance mode - please can someone explain the logic jumps that let all the Ros, Loris, J'chelle, Kathy Bates etc etc etc etc work while insisting other women can't?

I cannot believe there are people willing to pay$300 for this (even in instalments). I mean, even if you think marriage is the ultimate goal in your life it seems like you would be better off spending that money on basically anything other than an online course that has no proof of actually helping... 

They seem to have a faux-international flavor... from her Amazon book description: 

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Leads-woman-follows-Everyone/dp/1494779536

As an expert and professional consultant of culture and language, Ro Élori Cutno conducted a 2 year long global study on the cultures of men and women, and the languages of love and sex. MAN LEADS brings global insight, practices, and wisdom to demonstrate clear examples of what a truly loving relationship and family really looks like. According to the 2 year long global study conducted by the title's author, the only way that a relationship is capable of true fulfillment, is when everyone involved agrees that 1 MAN LEADS...

Sure... everyone the world over has always conducted their families in the same way. But this universal truth is somethong only Ro Elori can teach you!

I bet she's also a duck biologist in her spare time.

7 hours ago, Lurky said:

"Work is for men", but "she teaches Wife School to prepare women for marriage based on international collective wisdom about love, marriage, family, and sex" - courses that people pay to attend....  I never, ever, ever get this, I'm in full on cognitive-dissonance mode - please can someone explain the logic jumps that let all the Ros, Loris, J'chelle, Kathy Bates etc etc etc etc work while insisting other women can't?

I'm guessing it's because this work is done under the guise of ministering to others. So it's an exception, at least in the minds of people who follow them. Also, don't most/all of them have a complementary guide, course, etc. aimed at husbands? I assume they're collaborating with their own headships on these things, so maybe that makes it not count, too? Again, only in the minds of people who buy into it in the first place.

$300 to be told by some random woman how to be a wife.

Sign me up!

Not.

What the fuck....Marriage Matching? Reading the description makes my hair stand on end.

Not going to lie, I'm a little curious about what the Secret Tea Ceremony involves. Does it differ from a traditional tea ceremony? Do I consume the tea and immediately become a better wife? If it weren't $100 I might be a bit tempted just to see what makes it such a secret! 

Ha!  This whole thing is a bunch of bull shit aimed at stripping you of your hard earned money and nothing else.  There is no right way to be a wife.  That implies all men are the same/want the same things and that is far from reality.  Each marriage is unique and therefore functions differently.  The only things you need to know to be a good spouse are respect, communication, and compromise.  And it's best to start practicing the communication part prior to marriage.  There.  All you need to know and I gave it to you for free.  Take your money and spend it on something useful.

BECAUSE WORK IS FOR MEN

Throughout history, women have always worked. It may not have been paid labor, it may not have been outside the home, and it may not have been the same type of work as men - but women as a whole have always contributed significantly to their family's subsistence. I don't have a lot of patience for the revisionist history that women in the past were delicate flowers sitting at home doing delicate little hobbies and waiting for their husbands to provide. The vast majority of women worldwide, past and present, would find the statement "Work is for men" to be completely alien to their lives. To treat women's work as optional requires a massive amount of economic and social privilege. 

As an expert and

professional consultant of culture and language, Ro Élori Cutno conducted a 2 year long global study on the cultures of men and women, and the languages of love and sex. MAN LEADS brings global insight, practices, and wisdom to demonstrate clear examples of what a truly loving relationship and family really looks like. According to the 2 year long global study conducted by the title's author, the only way that a relationship is capable of true fulfillment, is when everyone involved agrees that 1 MAN LEADS...

For what it's worth, I have an International Relations degree from prior to going into my current career, and I have never heard of the job title "professional consultant of culture and language." The fact she is calling herself that rather than an a cultural anthropologist, ethnographer, historian, or linguist (whichever of those best fits whatever the hell she does) makes me... a bit skeptical of her credentials.

I also find it difficult to believe that anyone who is really a professional in any of those fields would claim that 1.) there is one single superior relationship pattern that everyone can/should adopt, or 2.) that a researcher can define and objectively measure "fulfillment" or "true love" in the people she works with, since those are such subjective concepts. That's a pretty wild claim to make, and I can't imagine how she would back it up.

BECAUSE INDEPENDENT PEOPLE ARE POOR

Not sure how to even parse this statement.

To me it sounds like she's saying people are financially better off if they're on government aid than if both partners are working to support themselves. That doesn't really jive with fundie beliefs, so I doubt she means that... but I'm having trouble coming up with an alternate reading that makes any more sense. It's just a weird statement, period.

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Throughout history, women have always worked. It may not have been paid labor, it may not have been outside the home, and it may not have been the same type of work as men - but women as a whole have always contributed significantly to their family's subsistence. I don't have a lot of patience for the revisionist history that women in the past were delicate flowers sitting at home doing delicate little hobbies and waiting for their husbands to provide. The vast majority of women worldwide, past and present, would find the statement "Work is for men" to be completely alien to their lives. To treat women's work as optional requires a massive amount of economic and social privilege. 

For what it's worth, I have an International Relations degree from prior to going into my current career, and I have never heard of the job title "professional consultant of culture and language." The fact she is calling herself that rather than an a cultural anthropologist, ethnographer, historian, or linguist (whichever of those best fits whatever the hell she does) makes me... a bit skeptical of her credentials.

I also find it difficult to believe that anyone who is really a professional in any of those fields would claim that 1.) there is one single superior relationship pattern that everyone can/should adopt, or 2.) that a researcher can define and objectively measure "fulfillment" or "true love" in the people she works with, since those are such subjective concepts. That's a pretty wild claim to make, and I can't imagine how she would back it up.

Not sure how to even parse this statement.

To me it sounds like she's saying people are financially better off if they're on government aid than if both partners are working to support themselves. That doesn't really jive with fundie beliefs, so I doubt she means that... but I'm having trouble coming up with an alternate reading that makes any more sense. It's just a weird statement, period.

Not to mention bollocks to boot. Maybe she means independent/single women are poor? Either financially or spiritually or some such crap. Which is complete shite. 

When she claims independent people are poor, maybe she's referring to the statistic that a majority of single mothers fall below the poverty line? 

She's still an idiot.  I far outearned my husband when we met and married.  Even after he finishes his degree, I'll still outearn him (my career field pays better plus I'll be 20 years further into my career).  So it definitely wouldn't apply to me.  And for the record, my husband could care less that I outearn him.  He likes that I work and that my career fulfills me.  He found my independence one of my most attractive qualities.

2 hours ago, sta_sha said:

Not going to lie, I'm a little curious about what the Secret Tea Ceremony involves. Does it differ from a traditional tea ceremony? Do I consume the tea and immediately become a better wife? If it weren't $100 I might be a bit tempted just to see what makes it such a secret! 

Drink the Secret Tea, pay the $300 & become a Stepford Wife. What a great idea! Thanks, Roi Elori Cutno (aka She-Whose-Opinion-Has-No-Effect-On-My-Life-aka-Rearrange-The-Letters-Of-My-Last-Name-And-Remove-The-O)

Lady Lydia Sherman must be furious.  This is her turf, dammit (although I don't think she has done much reaching our to women of color).

Someone did some research on Ro.  I can't vouch for its accuracy.  http://www.forharriet.com/2015/10/the-shame-of-wife-school-class-is-in.html

I love ForHarriet, and I love these parts of that article:

Can someone teach you how to become a “certified wife” (yes, per Cutno’s Facebook page, you’ll receive a certificate deeming you a certified spouse at completion of the program – whether or not you have a significant other in the picture)?  <snip>  Do successful pupils produce their Wife School certificates on dates, proving to their suitors they’d make excellent spouses? Is that covered in the Dating For Marriage curriculum?

Another rankling point of Wife School and Cutno’s teachings is that we have yet another enterprising soul who is making a name and living for themselves off the “fixing” of women while leaving men to just be men. These snake oil charmers claim to aid in women’s understanding of men, but instead they provide shoddy blueprints on how to bend, twist, and contort to meet men where they are, a place that fails to ever require any analysis or readjustment

1 hour ago, Childless said:

When she claims independent people are poor, maybe she's referring to the statistic that a majority of single mothers fall below the poverty line? 

That was my first thought.

My next thought is that she's hoping to usurp the Botkins' market, seeing that her daughters are still young and marriageable, and the Botkins are rapidly aging into what that culture would consider "old maids."

(I still remember how excitedly So Much More was touted at our former church, how women lowered their voices in awe as they passed this "incredibly insightful and encouraging" book along to friends, or encouraged friends to buy it for themselves and their daughters. Боже мой.*)

(*not Russian, just love how perhaps-fake-Russian phrase sounded in Avengers movie. Perfectly expresses my feeling of dismay.)

1 hour ago, desertvixen said:

@refugee, Боже мой is legit Russian AND great for dismay.

Sorry, meant to say I'm not Russian, not that the phrase wasn't Russian, though I had no idea for sure if it was or not. Thanks for the confirmation!

• 1 year later...

Dragging up this old thread to share her facebook page, which is a daily dose of batshittery.  

https://www.facebook.com/roeloricutno

Also, she now has a perfume!  SUBMISSIVE!

submissive.thumb.jpg.3077f971db711e3f261e95dd39733280.jpg

She seems to have quite a following of people that are buying into this bullshit, which I dont really understand, because shouldnt she be busy at home with her daughters instead of running the "wife school?"  Isnt that "working" which is what a good doormat woman shouldnt do?

Then we have shit like this, which is just kind of scary...

3yearold.thumb.jpg.462557cab9ef9ab642f0dd66b718f91e.jpg

How does one "fix" a 3 year old?

Not cool

On 10/20/2016 at 9:53 AM, Lurky said:

Um, it all started with Phyllis Schafly, a woman with a law degree.  

Notice on her FB page she doesn't have the same last name as her husband,  Wouldn't a truly submissive wife have taken her hubby's name?  Tsk. Tsk.    :GPn0zNK:

Edited to add:  Check out the comments on her hub's FB page. It seems the couple might not be all they appear to be, that Ro Elori has other names and possibly a past running cons.

https://www.facebook.com/BET/posts/10153424186395404

If you Google the other names, she does come up -- or t least someone who has a great deal of the same info

Oh, this is all kinds of fucked up. She mastered the complete take of the entire world in a two year study? And found out that MEN LEAD?...  must have missed all those matriarchal societies...

15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Dragging up this old thread to share her facebook page, which is a daily dose of batshittery.  

https://www.facebook.com/roeloricutno

Also, she now has a perfume!  SUBMISSIVE!

submissive.thumb.jpg.3077f971db711e3f261e95dd39733280.jpg

She seems to have quite a following of people that are buying into this bullshit, which I dont really understand, because shouldnt she be busy at home with her daughters instead of running the "wife school?"  Isnt that "working" which is what a good doormat woman shouldnt do?

Then we have shit like this, which is just kind of scary...

3yearold.thumb.jpg.462557cab9ef9ab642f0dd66b718f91e.jpg

How does one "fix" a 3 year old?

I assume one beats the shit out of them. I wouldn't know. My kids weren't in need of fixing  when they were 3 or at any time before or since.

Archived