IGNORED

Counting On Season 2 - Part 5

Buzzard

10 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Thoughts on this week's recaps

1. Ben and Jessa babysitting - BEN Is so clueless and Jessa is just weirdly harsh  She practiced on her siblings--this "new Mom" is over it.
  2. Douche bag BIN in his hat inside--sadly very common in redneck land. Even in church these days.
  3. Jana/Jessa I'm sure there are several who despise each other. I only have 1 sibling but we meet only at family events like funerals. With 19---I can' t even...
  4. Jana as a decorator.  Maybe Hobby Lobby will hire her to do a line of home decorator crap (and hopefully they'll have brains enough to get a real designer to do the designs and just slap Jana's name on it!) UGH.
  5. So, basically this show is to be a wedding and a baby each season. They lost the Joe at College storyline, no one is working at Tacos for Jesus or Coffee With the Lord, no one is volunteering at a Crisis Pregnancy Center or a homeless shelter. Just, magically, an approved Prince Charming appears in episode one and must have her knocked up by the start of the next season or he's voted off the cult's island. Swell. Or should I say precious?
  6. How old is Josie? Shouldn't see be able to write more than that?? Didn't the hire someone to do the teaching?
  7. JB/M shouldn't be seen. And, if M must be seen, no more green shirt. Get a hair style suitable for at leas the last decade, too.
  8. JoyAnna texting--probably with a brother or a Bates or other approved gal-pal. Not a guy. Unless she's next season's sacrificial virgin thrown into the vulcano of the babymaking Gods.

Joy did not spend her childhood raising her sibs---probably ready to get married to flee!

FAMY--just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

True about Joy, she's the 1 girl that got to be a kid the longest aside from Josie & the Lost girls (minus Hannie who seems to be readying to take over soon).  But as for her being the next sacrificial virgin, Even Boob has to realize all those unmarried boys and JD & Jana pushing 30 and single, that can't go on much longer. I do think Jana and JD will court at the same time for some odd reason, I don't see them going off with out the other one. 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Scribber said:

This is a life you CHOSE!!! And there's a super easy fix. Don't go back.

I fault the Duggars for many, many things, but I just can't dog on them for that. We are a military family with more than 24 years of active duty. We have been separated for training, war, and been assigned to crappy places to live. Yes, this is the life we signed up for, but that doesn't mean we can't vent our frustrations when things get tough. I've complained about so much more than the Dullards.

Do the people of dangerous CA miss the Dillards and want them back?  Are they staying in touch with any of them...in Spanish?  Just wondering.

2 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

True about Joy, she's the 1 girl that got to be a kid the longest aside from Josie & the Lost girls (minus Hannie who seems to be readying to take over soon).  But as for her being the next sacrificial virgin, Even Boob has to realize all those unmarried boys and JD & Jana pushing 30 and single, that can't go on much longer. I do think Jana and JD will court at the same time for some odd reason, I don't see them going off with out the other one. 

I think that Jana and JD will court at the same time too. It will be interesting to see who is next. If it is Jana, well that will be the end of all the Jana speculation. If it's Joy there will be more CinderJana talk. Although, Jessa definitely did play the mean sister last night. 

Forgive me if this has already been said. I'm watching the latest episode and with each episode it seems like they're getting back to 19KaC. Bringing in JB and Michelle talking to all the kids not just focusing on married girls. 

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

How is next week's "the older kids sit on set and reflect back on season highlights" show a finale? This show has to be over right???? (at least that is what I'm hoping)

This is only my personal opinion. 
I follow the Bringing up Bates show and the family.  They've done this twice now in their show, including other ideas UP has had such as a pre-show 15 minute chat with members of the family on their Facebook page where viewers can ask them questions. It does the trick of making them appear more normal and not robotic like the Duggars seem to have become over the years.
I wouldn't be surprised if TLC arn't taking tips from UP with stuff like this, same thing with asking all the siblings silly questions about their brothers and sisters, trying to fit in more laughs and jokes.
I know we've had these discussions many many times over, but I think UP is doing a great job with the Bates family, it may be boring most of the time, but boy they have marketed them well.
If you put these 2 shows side by side, it's creepy how depressing all the duggars are. Those wide eyed grins from the kids who don't know how else to arrange their faces, obsessive questions about courtship, girls sitting around the house not doing much, boys standing around with their arms folded, don't even get me started on that fucking idiot Ben and arrogant Jessa, what a nasty piece of work she is, bubbling juuust under the surface. And then we have Saint Derick and Saint Jill.....ugh.

Then you have the Bates, girls helping Lawson with his yard work business (even if it was just filmed as a scene for the show...still!), Josie, Tori and Carlin going to Crown College and not dropping out after half a year like Joseph Duggar??
Zach is a sheriff's deputy??? Alyssa helps her husband with their cleaning business??? Erin teaches piano lessons from home and is recording another cd???

I know they believe the same crazy shit, but the difference in how they've brought up their kids, with the evidence being shown in the older kids now, is astounding to me.
I will say it again, I know Kelly and Gil are nuts and believe some awful stuff, but in their little Christian world, most of these kids actually have a chance to make something of themselves and learn!!

1 hour ago, zygote373 said:

I always thought the issue with fresh fruits and vegetables is that you can't trust it hasn't been washed with the local water, which can make foreigners sick since they aren't used to it.

Didn't Dilly have a water filter on their counter? And didn't they have guacamole served to them by Jill's Spanish teacher?  IIRC, Jinger said they didn't have fresh food in SA.  I understand that they are so stupid that they can't properly convey that fresh produce may make them sick.  But what she said made it sound like SA is just barren.  So they don't know how to say what they mean and they don't know how to wash produce with filtered water and dish soap.  

So disgustingly typical that Jim-Boob would ask J'Uterus about whether Jinger and Jeremy did more than side hug.

It is, of course, none of his business. But he regards his daughter's body and her sexuality as his business. He doesn't want his daughter making her body available to an unrelated man until Jim-Boob can lawfully sell her off in marriage.

I have no illusions that Jinger and Jeremy are going to depart from the repressive and harmful beliefs of fundamentalism. But I do get a bit of schadenfreude from their displays of physical attraction. I hope J'Uterus and Jim-Boob feel helpless and affronted at seeing Jinger and Jeremy engage in displays of affection that are much more overt than those that were permitted to Jill and Jessa. From Jim-Boob's point of view, especially, it must rot his socks to know that he can't stop Jeremy from giving frontal hugs.

In his TH, Jeremy said he had asked JBoob to "date" his daughter and then referred to it as a relationship, not a courtship. Jeremy played sports for four years and has lived some RealLife. As I said before, I do not want to see Jinge hurt and hope he is a good man who will be good to her even though they are crazy fundies. I can't see Jinge surviving beaucoup de babeez all by herself in Laredo, even if she as extended visits from some of her sisters. Hopefully Jeremy is basically kind. I do just love his grandma. I don't want to see Jinge suffer because her parents are so weird. 

After time living in a foreign place, one's gut does build the bacteria to combat the native organisms. And if all else fails, the pharmacias in Latin American are amazing with the OTC drugs. I wish I could get my 29 daughter who has lived in South America for 7 years to mentor Jill. My daughter works 2 jobs, her husband works FT + has his own business on the side and they manage to parent a 2.5 yo daughter.

It's called adaptation, self reliance, using your resources and being educated.

The Duggar parents have basically raised 1 big, 19 person, useless tribe. Not that they couldn't become useful, but several things would need to happen: 1) cut off all contact with their lunatic parents, 2) Gentle deprogramming and an introduction to a better, freer and more interesting life, 3) confidence building= so that those adults know that they are smart, independent, useful and worthy all by themselves- no reliance on the 18 others.

Yes, it would seem that knowledge would be power with regard to safe water in other countries. 

Jill and Derick are lunatics saving people who are fine. I mean, I guess someone else is taking care of the spiritually dead while they are back in Arkansas. I guess the other pretend missionaries? I am fascinated by the term spiritually dead. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:

Didn't Dilly have a water filter on their counter? And didn't they have guacamole served to them by Jill's Spanish teacher?  IIRC, Jinger said they didn't have fresh food in SA.  I understand that they are so stupid that they can't properly convey that fresh produce may make them sick.  But what she said made it sound like SA is just barren.  So they don't know how to say what they mean and they don't know how to wash produce with filtered water and dish soap.  

Exactly. Also, anything that you peel anyway is completely safe (pineapples, mangoes, bananas, melons, avocados, etc.). So while they probably shouldn't order a salad in a restaurant, they can certainly eat all the fresh produce they want. But, then they couldn't bitch and whine about how terrible Sintral America is and how much they give up just to help the spiritually dead!

1 hour ago, Feministe9000 said:

This is only my personal opinion. 
I follow the Bringing up Bates show and the family.  They've done this twice now in their show, including other ideas UP has had such as a pre-show 15 minute chat with members of the family on their Facebook page where viewers can ask them questions. It does the trick of making them appear more normal and not robotic like the Duggars seem to have become over the years.
I wouldn't be surprised if TLC arn't taking tips from UP with stuff like this, same thing with asking all the siblings silly questions about their brothers and sisters, trying to fit in more laughs and jokes.
I know we've had these discussions many many times over, but I think UP is doing a great job with the Bates family, it may be boring most of the time, but boy they have marketed them well.
If you put these 2 shows side by side, it's creepy how depressing all the duggars are. Those wide eyed grins from the kids who don't know how else to arrange their faces, obsessive questions about courtship, girls sitting around the house not doing much, boys standing around with their arms folded, don't even get me started on that fucking idiot Ben and arrogant Jessa, what a nasty piece of work she is, bubbling juuust under the surface. And then we have Saint Derick and Saint Jill.....ugh.

Then you have the Bates, girls helping Lawson with his yard work business (even if it was just filmed as a scene for the show...still!), Josie, Tori and Carlin going to Crown College and not dropping out after half a year like Joseph Duggar??
Zach is a sheriff's deputy??? Alyssa helps her husband with their cleaning business??? Erin teaches piano lessons from home and is recording another cd???

I know they believe the same crazy shit, but the difference in how they've brought up their kids, with the evidence being shown in the older kids now, is astounding to me.
I will say it again, I know Kelly and Gil are nuts and believe some awful stuff, but in their little Christian world, most of these kids actually have a chance to make something of themselves and learn!!

As far as we know, the Bates parents never had to deal with a son molesting his younger sisters. If they had then I have no doubt they would have reacted in the same way Boob and J'Chelle did - and that their children would come across very similar to how the Duggar did do. Gil abd Kelly had the luxury for allowing their children more freedom in a way the Duggar parents didn't. 

I think a lot of people forget that fact when trying to compare the two families. That, and forgetting that the Bates kids being naturally more outgoing means nothing about how strictly they were raised or what they believe.

I do agree about UP doing a fantastic job marketing the Bateses though. And I do think TLC is attempting to mimic some aspects of that show too. It's an uphill battle for them though because they spent so long helping to make the Duggars look like complete freaks.

Wow.  Just finishing the episode on youtube.  

So Bin thinks randomly speaking Spanish at a Korean restaurant is a good idea?  Guess we know more about how and why JB allowed him courtship privileges -- no respect for other cultures AND dumb senses of humor!  No wonder Jessa's bitchiness is growing more and more apparent.

LOVED the weird disagreement between Jana and Jessa.  How presumptuous and gross of Jessa to waltz in and replace the wall hangings with pictures of nasty MEchelle and JB and whatever kids roamed into the camera's view.  Bleh.  And didn't they say it was a guest room?  WHY would a guest need pictures of JizzBlob and MEchelle?  Wouldn't life already be depressing enough, staying in a Duggar home?  

Glad Jana stayed true to her vision and won.  Jessa's pix and clock looked horrible.  

Also, that house is HUGE.  St. Jill and St. Derick better get started on more blessings so they can fill some rooms and have a good excuse to avoid dangerous Sintral America for the foreseeable future.  Wonder if and when Jessa and Bin will move/get a new house (from JizzBlob, of course, since Bin still doesn't really work), and how they'll explain that to the viewers.  

ETA: the house looked pretty good when all was finished.  Too bad the Saintly Dillards don't seem particularly worried about picking up after themselves.  But why no toddler safety set-ups? No baby gates?

Also, how much can a pair of "missionaries" complain about the place they were serving?  This is the family who leaves guns and rifles on the ground with children running around.  Are guns only scary when people of color have them?  Are they aware that guns and children can be and often are a very bad combination?  Bah!  This family...wtf. 

And TLC: NO ONE wants to see JB or MEchelle.  No one.  Keep them off the screen.  No one wants to hear them speak, nor see their painful interactions.  Just edit them out.  It's fine.  We don't need them. 

1 hour ago, Analytica49 said:

So disgustingly typical that Jim-Boob would ask J'Uterus about whether Jinger and Jeremy did more than side hug.

It is, of course, none of his business. But he regards his daughter's body and her sexuality as his business. He doesn't want his daughter making her body available to an unrelated man until Jim-Boob can lawfully sell her off in marriage.

I have no illusions that Jinger and Jeremy are going to depart from the repressive and harmful beliefs of fundamentalism. But I do get a bit of schadenfreude from their displays of physical attraction. I hope J'Uterus and Jim-Boob feel helpless and affronted at seeing Jinger and Jeremy engage in displays of affection that are much more overt than those that were permitted to Jill and Jessa. From Jim-Boob's point of view, especially, it must rot his socks to know that he can't stop Jeremy from giving frontal hugs.

Mechelle did seem a bit "oh get over it" with Boob & his asinine questions. Or it could have just been her baby sniffing and not wanting to talk to him.  Which I can't fault her for in the least. 

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

1. JoyAnna texting--probably with a brother or a Bates or other approved gal-pal. Not a guy. Unless she's next season's sacrificial virgin thrown into the vulcano of the babymaking Gods.

Haha, oh gods... I shouldn't laugh because it's true, but all I can think of is something like Survivor.

"Joy anna, your tribe has spoken." Lol

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But Jana "Loves" serving her family! (bwahahaha)

I think JB has spouses picked out for all of the older ones. I think, now that everyone is old enough to understand "Don't Tell" I think there is likely secret screen time (secret as in not on camera for tv) with significant others.  But I think Joy may be like a lot of gals back in the 40s/50s--if I have to do all this damned house work I'd rather do it in my own house! I think she'll be out of there soon.

I'm guessing Crown College has an exclusive with the Bates (that just occurred to me--duh!) and that's why Joseph wasn't shown there any more. The taint of Joshie!

24 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Also, that house is HUGE.  St. Jill and St. Derick better get started on more blessings so they can fill some rooms and have a good excuse to avoid dangerous Sintral America for the foreseeable future.  Wonder if and when Jessa and Bin will move/get a new house (from JizzBlob, of course, since Bin still doesn't really work), and how they'll explain that to the viewers.  

Where on earth is the smuggles family living?  The "guest house" is huge.  Way too big for three people.  I do think its weird, though.  Everyone the Duggars know have a bajillion kids - why do they have a table for 5 or 6 in the kitchen and a single sofa? The house kind of looked like a model home and not really something that was appropriate for anyone in Gothardism.  No bunk beds... no kiddie rails on the stairs... its actually LANDSCAPED (better than the TTH).  The while thing was weird.  

30 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

As far as we know, the Bates parents never had to deal with a son molesting his younger sisters. If they had then I have no doubt they would have reacted in the same way Boob and J'Chelle did - and that their children would come across very similar to how the Duggar did do. Gil abd Kelly had the luxury for allowing their children more freedom in a way the Duggar parents didn't. 

I think a lot of people forget that fact when trying to compare the two families. That, and forgetting that the Bates kids being naturally more outgoing means nothing about how strictly they were raised or what they believe.

I do agree about UP doing a fantastic job marketing the Bateses though. And I do think TLC is attempting to mimic some aspects of that show too. It's an uphill battle for them though because they spent so long helping to make the Duggars look like complete freaks.

Never forget that in the new house Gil & Kelley have in-home electronic monitoring--they know where each kid is and what they're doing! The Duggars had way more money than the Bates--even when the Duggars came on tv. They still drove old cars etc, but they OWNED out-right the land and house they were trying to build. They had a guaranteed monthly income from the cell phone tower and rentals. That's a huge difference. On the other side Gil and Kelly both went to college and both worked in real jobs. I think both their poverty and their education let them see that they had to jettison some kids. Plus, if they give on little things like going to a super-conservative college, then the big kids just might not rebel in front of the litlle ones and get themselves shunned!

18 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The house kind of looked like a model home and not really something that was appropriate for anyone in Gothardism.  No bunk beds... no kiddie rails on the stairs... its actually LANDSCAPED (better than the TTH).  The while thing was weird.  

The lack of child-proofing in that place was crazy.  Sometimes it seems like they're just daring their kids to make it to adulthood.  I know they were raised to house-proof the child, but still not a single concern about those stairs?  The rails, with the spacing just right for a kid's head to get stuck in between?  No way to close off a certain area so a kid won't go running off to hide or get hurt while the adult is doing chores?

13 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

The lack of child-proofing in that place was crazy.  Sometimes it seems like they're just daring their kids to make it to adulthood.  I know they were raised to house-proof the child, but still not a single concern about those stairs?  The rails, with the spacing just right for a kid's head to get stuck in between?  No way to close off a certain area so a kid won't go running off to hide or get hurt while the adult is doing choirs?

We were treated to a whole fucking episode THIS SEASON of Jessa pretending to baby proof the porter road house, presumably because a friend was dropping kids off for an hour.  Now she's setting up a house for her sister and actual baby to LIVE IN and they think its more important to put fence boards on the wall than baby gates?

Other than the fact that they have no intention of living there, I just dont get these people.

Did anyone catch what Boob said to Bin after the baby announcement?  I couldn't catch it but I assume it was something icky.  They both grinned and laughed. 

5 minutes ago, JMO said:

Did anyone catch what Boob said to Bin after the baby announcement?  I couldn't catch it but I assume it was something icky.  They both grinned and laughed. 

It was something like "youre going to have more kids than us" or something of the sort

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived