IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel: Back In Normal Murica (For Now) - Part 20

samurai_sarah

omg I can't stop watching the video. I've watched it a good three or four times now, what is wrong with me?

They all just seem like they don't want to be there, imo. They really suck at feigning interest. Also, I'm guessing the J Slaves had heard this story about 6 million times by the time Enlow interviewed them.

My favorite part is Derick: "It's good to be here...for a while." DUN DUN!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the sisters and Bin were attempting to convey concern and worry while listening to Jill (re-)tell the frightening shower 'rack' story. In truth, they probably are worried for the Dillards' safety. And, with regards to Jana's smirk, I strongly believe she was following the movements of the producer/intern who had just handed Jill the tissue. This tells me she is deeply in love with him.  :tw_tounge_wink:

Maybe janas smirking is from like being uncomfortable with jills emotional expression. I can get like that sometimes when peopke are emoting, i am totally supportive of them but i can start to feel awkward and perhaps do inappropriate things with my face. I grew up in a family where peopke didnt really cry on front of each other so maybe thats why. I imagine the duggars would be even more stunted in their reactions to others emotions. I notice with jessa when people get emotional she tries to jump in and get the focus on her, kind of covering for the other person, which is also a common thing for people to do when others emotions feel uncomfortable to them. 

34 minutes ago, halcionne said:

Does anyone have an idea of when that clip was filmed?

I think it was sometime in October. Maybe around the middle of October. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Thank you! Now I'm off to speculate in Joy's thread! :dance:

@halcionne and @Carm_88 I think Jessa said she was 17 weeks pregnant when that was filmed so that would be close to end of August which would still make it all fresh in Jill's mind.  I think Jana makes that face a lot so it could have been anything.

Just now, justmy2cents said:

@halcionne and @Carm_88 I think Jessa said she was 17 weeks pregnant when that was filmed so that would be close to end of August which would still make it all fresh in Jill's mind.  I think Jana makes that face a lot so it could have been anything.

Ahhhh right! I forgot the Jessa said how far along she was! 

I think the lack of reaction might have been because they've heard it the story several times before. I know that whenever I have an emotional outburst, having people fawn over me makes it worse.

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Does anyone have an idea of when that clip was filmed?

I guess it has to be about 10 weeks ago. IIRC, Jessa said she was 17 weeks when they filmed it, and she's 27 weeks (or thereabouts) now. 

53 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

It was earlier than that. See my post above. 

49 minutes ago, halcionne said:

Thank you! Now I'm off to speculate in Joy's thread! :dance:

Hold your horses. It was filmed sometime in September, before we suspect Joy started courting. 

2 hours ago, JessaBlessa said:

What's the Dixie Stampede? So far we've seen pics of the Dillard's, Kings, Josie and the family friend Laura Demasie in Missouri. I wonder if the whole Duggar family is there and if this get-together is for something special? The pics that DFO posted today of Jana, Jason and Jackson at the house might suggest that some stayed home. But you never know since the DFO posts old pics that they make seem recent or at the exact time frame of it's posting.

I bring that up because Laura is with them in Missouri. If in fact Jana isn't there and at the house, that would be quite strange since she's close friends with Jana. If it is that way, that might suggest that Laura isn't just a family friend and that there might be some type of relationship developing between her and John. I mean for like the past 2 months straight, she's been spending real close time with the Duggars. Doesn't she reside in Illinois? Idk, im an over thinker!

1 hour ago, MsSaylor said:

Maybe janas smirking is from like being uncomfortable with jills emotional expression. I can get like that sometimes when peopke are emoting, i am totally supportive of them but i can start to feel awkward and perhaps do inappropriate things with my face. I grew up in a family where peopke didnt really cry on front of each other so maybe thats why. I imagine the duggars would be even more stunted in their reactions to others emotions. I notice with jessa when people get emotional she tries to jump in and get the focus on her, kind of covering for the other person, which is also a common thing for people to do when others emotions feel uncomfortable to them. 

I tend to nervous-laugh/smile when I get uncomfortable. I totally know Jana's feels of "oh fuck she's crying oh fuck why am I smiling I am not a chimp what the fuck stop oh fuck now I'm smirking and I'm about to laugh because I don't know what my feelings are doing and I also secretly think she's kind of a drama queen but her feelings are valid and stuff".

2 hours ago, pooplexed said:

Wow! Look at Jana's face during this interview! Maybe it is the editing, but she looks like she is smirking. Her face is saying to me, "here it comes!" when Jill is about to cry. 

It looks to me like she's grimacing then she's trying to have an awh face despite hearing the story a million times.  

2 hours ago, JessaBlessa said:

Amy is always so fashionable.  I wish it'd rub off on her cousins. Observation: I never noticed how Derrick is all leg.  Is Jill wearing uggs?

Although I enjoy reading all these thourough posts with speculation about how the Dillards may be doing, we know so little.

1. Is Jill unhappy in CA? She does not say so. And although it is likely challenging, if she is doing the work from her heart, she may have a lot of satisfaction and happiness, which could balance out the challenges.

2. Does she want to come home? Again, no real indication. It is not in the plan and she doesn't hint at it. One might as well say that now she has lived abroad she is more aware of the faults of her family and is looking forward to be back on her own turf.

3. Does she dislike making her own decisions? If I was her I would be very exited to make my own decisions. I am not her, but neither is anybody else. Until she tells us, we won't know.

4. Did the Dillards lack training and help from an organisation? They have an organisation and they spent months going up and down to CA learning Spanish and probably receiving field training. They  posted pics with other missionaries. Since they have armed guards, I assume they live on their organisation's compound with one or more other families. Right now they study and write papers. Again, we know nothing for sure, but the narrative leaves enough space for months of prep, ongoing professional development and decent organisational support.

5. Does Derrick not  take Jill's concerns seriously? Well, we have no idea what they privately agreed on. For all I know Derrick wants to go to a safer place and Jill tells him to just trust God. 

6. Does Jill have shower rack PTSD? Ehhh, it is possible, but it also could be a nice little piece of drama for the viewers since they have nothing actually scary to tell. I am sure it was frightning for a minute or so. And after that it was funny and embarressing. Did you notice how they waited a long time before they told what the sound was? Like the cause of the noise was irrelevant, all that mattered was how scared they were and - this is my speculation- how brave they are to go back. Back to the country of improperly installed bathroom fittings.

Glad to see they haven't shut out Amy all together! It seems like they were pushing her away because she didn't jive with their lifestyle. Still it's weird Amy has not been a bride's maid at the Duggar weddings and didn't even go to Jingers... very odd.   

Amy didn't go to Jinger's wedding? That is very odd.

I'm wondering wether Amy will have a special role in Joy-Anna's wedding since they always seemed to be very close.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Amy didn't go to Jinger's wedding? That is very odd.

I'm wondering wether Amy will have a special role in Joy-Anna's wedding since they always seemed to be very close.

She and Dill had planned a trip I think a year in advance, and Jinger's wedding was the same weekend. 

Also, if they had all heard the story before, it would be surprising that Jill still gets so choked up and emotional after talking about it so many times. 

Josh pulled that same stunt at Jessa's wedding. It's so...caveman. URGH. ME HAVE WOMAN. MUST SHOW ALL OTHER MAN THAT ME OWN WOMAN. UGH.
It also kind of reminds me of how Kirk Cameron won't kiss women in his movies unless he's playing opposite his wife. Really? You're so insecure about your relationship that you can't even PRETEND to be affectionate with a woman who's not your wife? You're so insecure that you can't sit the fuck down and endure your wife walking a few meters hand-in-hand with a male family friend?

FWIW, I first saw this family tradition play out at David and Priscilla's wedding. It was at the same church where the Smuggars were married, and they were both in the wedding party, so he reenacted their first kiss during their recessional. I vaguely remember this happening at the wedding of one of the older two girls, but I know Ben pulled the same stunt, without the kiss, at Jill and Derick's wedding. Then didn't Jill and Derick pull the stunt at Jessa and Ben's?

They're all so annoying. Maybe this is why Jana isn't getting married....

It's as good a theory as any.

...Though I'm slightly disappointed - I haven't seen a single tabloid anywhere that's suggested she's a lizard person overlord of the illuminati - and I was SO looking forward to see how the family would handle that...

18 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Aah darn it, you ruined my fantasy that Jana's smirk was her version of an eye roll. But you're right, we all react differently when someone starts crying, even if we actually care. Personally, I can relate to Jessa's deflection strategy as tears and sadness make me anxious and verbalizing/intellectualizing emotions rather than feeling them is a much more comfortable place for me.

ETA: But I will say that Jill's crying over a shower curtain really reinforced how emotionally unprepared she was for the field - just a little too fragile. Of course everyone's going to have an adjustment period, but this girl has never even lived in a dorm room by herself. 

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

...Though I'm slightly disappointed - I haven't seen a single tabloid anywhere that's suggested she's a lizard person overlord of the illuminati - and I was SO looking forward to see how the family would handle that...

How did you know? 

Spoiler

vampires-of-venice-06.png

Secretly Jana! ;) 

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

Now I'm waiting for a tabloid to pick up on this. They do like to get ideas from FJ after all.

6 hours ago, lomo6 said:

Aah darn it, you ruined my fantasy that Jana's smirk was her version of an eye roll. But you're right, we all react differently when someone starts crying, even if we actually care. Personally, I can relate to Jessa's deflection strategy as tears and sadness make me anxious and verbalizing/intellectualizing emotions rather than feeling them is a much more comfortable place for me.

ETA: But I will say that Jill's crying over a shower curtain really reinforced how emotionally unprepared she was for the field - just a little too fragile. Of course everyone's going to have an adjustment period, but this girl has never even lived in a dorm room by herself. 

Given the Fundie child rearing culture, my working theory is that Jill comes off so fragile because it is the only negative emotion that does not get beaten out. Only a fragile, pained cry does not come off as disobedient. Maybe Jill has some negative emotions that she can't express---in fact she may not even be able to identify them any more---so it just comes out in tears. 

She had the same tears in the Megyn Kelly interview.

I am searching for evidence of a discipline moment. I have watched more hours of reality TV in the last week than I had in my entire life! I watched the World's Strictest Parents episode with the Forsythe (?) family. I watched many frumper-era Duggar episodes. I watched DQ and JB explain the positive side of their discipline methods---praise 5 times for every one "correction" etc. However, a rod made it into the police report, and they have promoted authors who beat children to submission. I assume the beating out the disobedience happens off camera. 

Does anyone recall an episode where a child is acting out, and some kind of "correction" had to occur off-camera? I would love to see that child return to the background of a scene and zoom in on his/her face.

25 minutes ago, pooplexed said:

Does anyone recall an episode where a child is acting out, and some kind of "correction" had to occur off-camera? I would love to see that child return to the background of a scene and zoom in on his/her face.

I believe it is assumed during one of the later pregnancy announcements (Josie? Jubilee?), Josiah ran off or something like that and was pulled back into the view of the camera. I'll try to find it. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived