IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel: Back In Normal Murica (For Now) - Part 20

samurai_sarah

Jumping in on the typo derailment: I review (mostly Indie/self-pub, mostly REALLY BAD) books on youtube. After reading some of the self-pubbed things I've read (many of which have authors that claim to have paid for at least one professional editing service)-- there's very few IRL typo situations that actually bother me anymore. Most of the time I can be like 'Yeah OK I get what you were going for' but if it's a your/you're or a lose/loose situation I show no mercy.

(Also, for the record, the most typo-filled book I've read/reviewed so far was Fate: New Hope Academy clocking in at over 50 typos in less than 50 pages of story)

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

This was one we were talking about while we waited to be seated at a restaurant this evening.  There is this store that does custom embroidery called EmbroidMe.  It's not EmbroiderMe, but EmbroidMe.  That just strikes my daughter, my husband and myself as really, really stupid sounding and looking.  The other is a local florist who did the flowers at my daughter's wedding 10 years ago.  It's A Arrangement, not An Arrangement. The shop does great work, but their name grates on my daughter's last nerve.

A lot of older businesses have "A" in their names around here and when asked, they always said it was so they came up first in the yellow pages. "An" puts them back a few pages. 

Now that the yellow pages are basically extinct, thankfully most businesses use proper grammar. 

"A Arrangement" is most likely because of the phone book..it would show higher than "An Arrangement"  I may be wrong, but I've seen this tactic before....

I had not thought about the phone book thing (thanks @Casserole and @xlurker for reminding me of that), but this business is in a small town and their shop is on the main drag.  I think most people know about it.

53 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Grammar nazi make me a bit nervous, as a horrific speller and even worse typer I often make these mistakes. My biggest mistake isn't that I don't know the difference between the two it's just that I cannot spell the words, defiantly and definitely (and yes I had to google these to spell them properly) even to the point of allowing auto correct to fix them.

I, like Trump, have the best words, I know all the words, I just can't spell them. 

If I had a nickel for every time I typed defiantly instead of definitely I'd be a billionaire.  I also cannot type view correctly the first time.  And maintenance.  

My lousy handwriting covers some spelling errors when I'm writing longhand but without spell check I'd have to give up all online communication.  I rarely apologize for my typos anymore because it would be a ft job.  

I read somewhere that the human brain scans and as long as the first and last letters of a word are right we tend to fill in the rest when reading.  I count on that.

I've written for publication (nothing impressive) but I've had more than one editor comment on my penchant for sentence fragments.  My ridiculous and incorrect use of elipseses and dashes isn't a style choice, it's because trying to figure out where the commas go causes me actual stress.

remember that episode of Charmed where Piper lost her shit wrecking havok and the Cleaners were on double duty fixing stuff?  That's how I see editors.  Cleaners of my random punctuation; also, I love semicolons.

(when is this stuff usually taught in school?  Seriously, I don't know.)

12 hours ago, patsymae said:

Typos in forums don't bother me; I also type fast, use mostly the phone or iPad and often don't catch autocorrect.  Also don't care about grammatical errors in conversational usage. And I'm a copy editor

Honestly that's my problem. On mobile you can get wonky autocorrects and also I just skip proofreading for whatever reason. I have some fairly popular posts on tumblr that have some atrocious spellings and grammar mistakes that embarrass me to no end but they're there to stay I guess. 

Especially iPhones where it's easy to fat finger and it tries to be extremely helpful and might change like a whole three words for you because it thinks you meant to say "well I'll be" instead of "we're ill but" or to the like cause it isn't patient enough to let you get your words out lmao 

40 minutes ago, weirdemmaline said:

Jumping in on the typo derailment: I review (mostly Indie/self-pub, mostly REALLY BAD) books on youtube. After reading some of the self-pubbed things I've read (many of which have authors that claim to have paid for at least one professional editing service)-- there's very few IRL typo situations that actually bother me anymore. Most of the time I can be like 'Yeah OK I get what you were going for' but if it's a your/you're or a lose/loose situation I show no mercy.

(Also, for the record, the most typo-filled book I've read/reviewed so far was Fate: New Hope Academy clocking in at over 50 typos in less than 50 pages of story)

No excuse on this, IMO.  If I were going to self publish I'd definitely throw money at a grammar nazi friend to clean it up for me before showing my ass in public.  And we all have them.  

Heck - some people would do it for nothing because of the obsessive need to correct ....to quote Howard Wolowitz out of context, "just show it to him and let the goblins in his head take over."

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If I had a nickel for every time I typed defiantly instead of definitely I'd be a billionaire.  I also cannot type view correctly the first time.  And maintenance.  

My lousy handwriting covers some spelling errors when I'm writing longhand but without spell check I'd have to give up all online communication.  I rarely apologize for my typos anymore because it would be a ft job.  

I read somewhere that the human brain scans and as long as the first and last letters of a word are right we tend to fill in the rest when reading.  I count on that.

I've written for publication (nothing impressive) but I've had more than one editor comment on my penchant for sentence fragments.  My ridiculous and incorrect use of elipseses and dashes isn't a style choice, it's because trying to figure out where the commas go causes me actual stress.

remember that episode of Charmed where Piper lost her shit wrecking havok and the Cleaners were on double duty fixing stuff?  That's how I see editors.  Cleaners of my random punctuation; also, I love semicolons.

(when is this stuff usually taught in school?  Seriously, I don't know.)

I know a lot of people who struggle with commas, and I think it's because they're often taught poorly. I remember being told at school that you put a comma where you would pause when speaking. This is horrible advice. It means children start using commas whenever they pause to think what they'll say next, and I'm convinced if you don't learn how to use commas from the start it's very difficult to learn, especially because certain aspects of comma usage are optional, like the Oxford or serial comma (used between the penultimate item in a list and the 'and' that follows) or the use of a comma after a phrase like "Having read the memo" at the start of a sentence (I'm totally blanking on what that kind of phrase is called).

Oh, and then there's the fact that American and British English have different conventions, with British English tending to be more liberal in its use of commas than American English.

So, yeah, you're definitely not alone on that front.

My little sister used to use extraneous commas and leave out apostrophes because she liked the way commas looked and didn't like the way apostrophes looked. I had a hard time explaining to her that they're not there to look pretty; they're there to clarify the text.

12 minutes ago, alba said:

I know a lot of people who struggle with commas, and I think it's because they're often taught poorly. I remember being told at school that you put a comma where you would pause when speaking. This is horrible advice. It means children start using commas whenever they pause to think what they'll say next, and I'm convinced if you don't learn how to use commas from the start it's very difficult to learn, especially because certain aspects of comma usage are optional, like the Oxford or serial comma (used between the penultimate item in a list and the 'and' that follows) or the use of a comma after a phrase like "Having read the memo" at the start of a sentence (I'm totally blanking on what that kind of phrase is called).

Oh, and then there's the fact that American and British English have different conventions, with British English tending to be more liberal in its use of commas than American English.

So, yeah, you're definitely not alone on that front.

My little sister used to use extraneous commas and leave out apostrophes because she liked the way commas looked and didn't like the way apostrophes looked. I had a hard time explaining to her that they're not there to look pretty; they're there to clarify the text.

The Oxford comma is one rule I totally know and love.  Also good with apostrophes.  My husband's grandma made this cute sign like people put on the front of their house that said "The Ourlastname's". When she died he got the sign and wanted to hang it on the deck...my question was "our what?"  

After explaining to him the difference between plural and possessive and if he wanted it up he needed to either lose the apostrophe and ruin the sign or add another underneath with the name of what we possess he threw it in a box in the garage.

i remember being taught something about commas and clauses but nothing specific.  Also not ending sentence with a preposition I remember and that you CAN start a sentence with Also or But if it fit the literary style or something. It the rest?  Participles and irregular somethings....nah...id rather die than try to diagram a sentence.  I thought I knew adjective and adverb with the ly thing until someone on another forum pointed out feel is a verb and one doesn't feel sadly...so I give up.

i consider myself fairly well spoken irl but I just got lucky in what sounds correct to my ear usually is so I just go on my gut.

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

No excuse on this, IMO.  If I were going to self publish I'd definitely throw money at a grammar nazi friend to clean it up for me before showing my ass in public.  And we all have them.  

Heck - some people would do it for nothing because of the obsessive need to correct ....to quote Howard Wolowitz out of context, "just show it to him and let the goblins in his head take over."

Half the time I'll offer my services to an author I've picked apart (or ripped apart) after the fact, because I know what it is to be a self-pubber (with something like 18 shorts to my various pen names) who can't afford an editor and must make do with my own editing/proofreading-- but clearly these other authors don't even do THAT half the time. 

On 11/14/2016 at 5:43 PM, SassyPants said:

I think Jill looked lovely. 

I just feel so sorry for these girls. Remember what Jill and Jessa looked and acted like pre-wedding and motherhood? They look like they've aged 15 years since then- especially Jessa. She could pass for 30-35 years old. They need to slow the baby machines down.

Here's to hoping Jinger that does not go down the same path.

Jill is 25 and has 1 child, she can't slow down much more than that and 1 kid hasn't aged her 10 years or anything!

2 hours ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

Could of instead of could have. :smiley-signs131:

Grrr...yes! Drives me crazy. My mom has recently been doing this in texts and I can't take it anymore. 

Typos don't bother me, but terrible grammar and punctuation both annoy me and make me sad. So many people were failed in their education or have failed to have the curiosity to keep up their education. (*People with learning disabilities like dyslexia are exempt from my wrath.)

So do we think Derrick & Jill will stay in Arkansas for Christmas? I can see an upcoming Joy engagement during the holidays as an excuse.

19 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

So do we think Derrick & Jill will stay in Arkansas for Christmas? I can see an upcoming Joy engagement during the holidays as an excuse.

I'm sure Jill wants to stay, and I'd hope her headship would let her.

40 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I definitely think they'll be staying forever except to do short stints since so many Duggars are going to be having weddings and babies for the next 20+ years not to mention she'll have more kids and it's going to be harder and harder in Central America or somewhere else. They are definitely staying, and I think that's why Derick was doing the substitute teaching as well. 

25 minutes ago, Justmurrayed said:

They are definitely staying, and I think that's why Derick was doing the substitute teaching as well. 

They do seem to be getting lazy and joining the Ben/Jessa line of thinking. I'd be so miserable without getting something done every day.

39 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

They do seem to be getting lazy and joining the Ben/Jessa line of thinking. I'd be so miserable without getting something done every day.

Me too! But, it is the Duggar way. Lazy is what they do well, that and grifting. 

Am I the only one who wonders if Jill had a miscarriage and if it could be a contributing factor to her new shell-of-herself persona?  I don't know why I'm asking as it's unlikely, since she would probably announce it before she was done peeing on the stick.

It's just a puzzle to me how a falling shower rack can bring up tears months later.  Most likely she is probably just a sensitive girl who felt lost in a foreign country away from her constantly present family who did nothing to prepare her to live in the real world.  And her seemingly indifferent headship.  

Am I the only one who wonders if Jill had a miscarriage and if it could be a contributing factor to her new shell-of-herself persona?  I don't know why I'm asking as it's unlikely, since she would probably announce it before she was done peeing on the stick.

It's just a puzzle to me how a falling shower rack can bring up tears months later.  Most likely she is probably just a sensitive girl who felt lost in a foreign country away from her constantly present family who did nothing to prepare her to live in the real world.  And her seemingly indifferent headship.  

I think if it really just were the shower rack falling with no other issues contributing (like miscarriage or actual home invasion or kidnapping scare, etc), it could just be because they have been sheltered from everything their entire lives. They have literally grown up in a bubble where everything is controlled for them, so they have not learned any coping skills because in their world back home, everything is always fine, good and happy. Not to worry, Daddy will take care of everything.

It reminds me of the Jana & Jessa jewellery box ordeal. I feel sorry for these poorly adjusted individuals.

On 11/19/2016 at 9:01 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

Just watched the episode and pretty much everything has already been said, but... Derick - what the FUCK were you thinking???? That has to be THE rudest thing you can do at a wedding. Based on discussion here I thought he "just" kissed JillyMuffin on her way out of the church but no, he had the nerve to steal her from her groomsman and walk her down the aisle when the pissed groomsman followed a few metres behind. WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT?!?! Derick, you were not part of the wedding party and therefore it's none of your fucking business to intervene with the ceremony!!

Sorry for too many fucks but this asshat's arrogance just did it to me :kitty-cussing:

Josh pulled that same stunt at Jessa's wedding. It's so...caveman. URGH. ME HAVE WOMAN. MUST SHOW ALL OTHER MAN THAT ME OWN WOMAN. UGH.

It also kind of reminds me of how Kirk Cameron won't kiss women in his movies unless he's playing opposite his wife. Really? You're so insecure about your relationship that you can't even PRETEND to be affectionate with a woman who's not your wife? You're so insecure that you can't sit the fuck down and endure your wife walking a few meters hand-in-hand with a male family friend?

9 hours ago, VooDooChild said:

I should have been more clear. I wasn't snarking on you, but using that as an example.  I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, which is why I could never be a good editor.

I've seen one EmbroidMe in my life and it drove me nuts too.  Maybe they were trying to rhyme with 'embroidery'.  If that is what they were going for, I can somewhat give them a pass.  A Arrangement is inexcusable.

I didn't think you were snarking on me. I just wanted to make (so not apparently) clear that normally I wouldn't comment on a typo or grammar mistake--only mentioned this one because it was in a post by a self-described stickler. Reminded me of when I got back a college paper with a huge red "Proofread You Paper!!!"

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

I think if it really just were the shower rack falling with no other issues contributing (like miscarriage or actual home invasion or kidnapping scare, etc), it could just be because they have been sheltered from everything their entire lives. They have literally grown up in a bubble where everything is controlled for them, so they have not learned any coping skills because in their world back home, everything is always fine, good and happy. Not to worry, Daddy will take care of everything.

It reminds me of the Jana & Jessa jewellery box ordeal. I feel sorry for these poorly adjusted individuals.

Can you remind me of exactly what happened? Was it a catfight? How does it relate to them being sheltered? My memory is a little fuzzy at the moment 

9 hours ago, xlurker said:

"A Arrangement" is most likely because of the phone book..it would show higher than "An Arrangement"  I may be wrong, but I've seen this tactic before....

AAAAAA Taxi service

4 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Not to mention so bored. How do they successfully do not not all that much day in, day out?

I think they'll stay through  Christmas. Maybe they'll do the family SOS missioncation and give out candy to show how godly they are. :shakehead:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived