IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel: Back In Normal Murica (For Now) - Part 20

CoveredInBees
25 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

I suppose the Duggars view this grabbing-and-kissing-the-bridesmaid/wife as a fun and cute new tradition. I actually don't blame Derick for doing it, as I imagine it is planned and expected, although I wish he would refuse on the grounds of 'it looks stupid'.  Poor Josh apparently is no longer allowed to participate in this hilarity. 

I think it was tradition from the moment JB and Meechelle posted the snogging selfie after the Jessa/Bin wedding.

Scene stealing most definitely runs in the family (including the ones that marry in).

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carm_88

• ClaraOswin

• VelociRapture

• nst

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's Schrodinger's Uterus! A Duggar (or any fundy really) can be considered to be both pregnant and not pregnant simultaneously until a pregnancy is actually announced.

I have 3 cats.  The third was unplanned, but she is wonderfully sweet and a blessing to our home.  I always thought 3 was too many cats, but I am glad I trusted God with my clowder size.  Even though

I have three shirts right now: One says "Bun in the Oven" Another says "I'm Hungry" up top and "Me Too" on the bump And the third, and most appropriate, says "Pregasaurus Rex" with a pr

Posted Images

PennySycamore

@foreign fundie, what I can't figure out in the Bob Jones 2nd grade math book is why the girl would give the clerk $9.50 when the total is $9.25.  It's not like 50 cent pieces are commonplace.  The girl probably had nine dollars and a quarter.

Also, why is there a tiger in the next picture when the hut looks like it's in Africa? Tigers don't live in Africa. 

• Upvote 14
VooDooChild
5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@foreign fundie, what I can't figure out in the Bob Jones 2nd grade math book is why the girl would give the clerk $9.50 when the total is $9.25.  It's not like 50 cent pieces are commonplace.  The girl probably had nine dollars and a quarter.

Also, why is there a tiger in the next picture when the hut looks like it's in Africa? Tigers don't live in Africa. 

Semantics.  It's the indoctrination that counts not the facts.

And Derrick is just as tacky as JB.  I don't see him growing up anytime soon.  What is that acronym they always tout?  J.O.Y.  Jebus first.  Others second.  Yourself last.  If only that were reflected in their actions.  

• Upvote 8
18 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Saw this on Facebook and found it very amusing!

Screenshot_2016-11-19-13-09-22.png

Laughed my head off and told my husband and he laughed too. He then reminded me of the time our daughter ran around the playground screaming something that could be translated as "Peekaboo satan!" She meant "Peekaboo magpie" but the Swedish words for "the magpie" is "skatan" and she couldn't say that so it turned into "satan" which is the same word in Swedish. She would often yell "satan" while sitting in her stroller too because she has always had a thing for birds in the crow family. Jackdaws are her favorite.

• Upvote 21
Carm_88

Speaking of bad grammar, I have a friend on Facebook who was so happy that her boyfriend purposed to her. I nearly had kittens! How in the world do you not know that the word is proposed? :kitty-cussing:

• Upvote 17
PennySycamore

One of my all-time favorite pro hockey players is Miroslav Satan who played for the Buffalo Sabres among other NHL teams.  It was pretty cool to see a jersey with Satan on the back roaring down the ice. He shoots! He scores!

• Upvote 9
MadeItOut

Must be the day for it. We were watching a (normally great) favourite documentary series earlier. They had a guest historian discussing methods of getting the engine of a particular tractor going. The 'expert' actually uttered: "...and to make it easier, you could add a little of that inflammable liquid..." 

• Upvote 1
Must be the day for it. We were watching a (normally great) favourite documentary series earlier. They had a guest historian discussing methods of getting the engine of a particular tractor going. The 'expert' actually uttered: "...and to make it easier, you could add a little of that inflammable liquid..." 

Are you talking about the use of the word 'inflammable'?

'Inflammable' means the same thing as 'flammable' (see here, for instance: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/inflammable).
  • Upvote 11
MadeItOut

Cool. That's my something learnt for today. I wonder when that came to be (not a bother, I'll research in my own time rather than drift too much - word history fascinates me). I grew up with a clear and definite distinction between the two - including the bit of fire training, so it sounded weird to me.

On the plus side, you've restored my faith in my favourite documentary series now - I had come away from it irked a little over that. Now you've shown me that, it's all cool again. Thanks for that!

Edited by MadeItOut
Tablet keyboard refused to cooperate.
  • Upvote 3
Carm_88
27 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

One of my all-time favorite pro hockey players is Miroslav Satan who played for the Buffalo Sabres among other NHL teams.  It was pretty cool to see a jersey with Satan on the back roaring down the ice. He shoots! He scores!

That always caused me to giggle too. Hockey certainly has some interesting names but that's the top one I think. 

• Upvote 2
backyard sylph
1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of bad grammar, I have a friend on Facebook who was so happy that her boyfriend purposed to her. I nearly had kittens! How in the world do you not know that the word is proposed? :kitty-cussing:

That type of mistake comes from exclusively auditory learning, which is my polite way of saying people do not read. If you think about it, many of the routine mistakes we see are based on (not based off! not based around! just based on!) how someone heard a word. They're mimicking sounds when writing them.

I'm also fussy about the use of that instead of who. I taught my kids in demanding fashion, IT'S PEOPLE WHO, AND THINGS THAT!! I know saying "people that" is acceptable, but not by me. It hurt to type it just now. Also, I'm a bit demanding about who/whom, and which/that, but more forgiving on those points.

• Upvote 17
Fundie Bunny
2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

The 'expert' actually uttered: "...and to make it easier, you could add a little of that inflammable liquid..." 

In the words of Dr Nick Rivera,  "Inflammable means flammable? What a country"

• Upvote 8
patsymae
On 11/16/2016 at 8:29 PM, CorruptionInc. said:

I am very in to grammar and it being used properly at all times. Reading Jill's posts makes me rather unsettled. 

So using two words for "into" was just a typo? Good.

• Upvote 5
NewOrleansLady
10 hours ago, 3arrowsandnotcounting said:

First time poster- longtime lurker. I just have to weigh in on the grammar annoyances. The one that annoys me the most is people mixing up breath and breathe, don't know why but it makes me see red!

I get upset with CLOTHES and CLOTHS.

• Upvote 8
VooDooChild
21 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

I get upset with CLOTHES and CLOTHS.

I've seen CLOSE used for CLOTHES.  The use of the wrong word grates on me, too.  Not all typos bother me, though.  My fingers often defy my brain, so I'm more forgiving of mistakes such as the one @patsymae pointed out.  Now, if those mistakes appeared in a paper, news source, or anything that should have been edited, well, that's not easy to ignore.

• Upvote 7
Shadoewolf
3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

That always caused me to giggle too. Hockey certainly has some interesting names but that's the top one I think. 

Or we scoot over to college football, U of M has a tight end named Jake Butt.

• Upvote 9
grandmadugger
4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Are you sure she didn't come out of the fundie closet?

• Upvote 5
Carm_88
21 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Are you sure she didn't come out of the fundie closet?

No she's definitely a heathen, living with her now husband outside of marriage.

• Upvote 4
patsymae
1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:

I've seen CLOSE used for CLOTHES.  The use of the wrong word grates on me, too.  Not all typos bother me, though.  My fingers often defy my brain, so I'm more forgiving of mistakes such as the one @patsymae pointed out.  Now, if those mistakes appeared in a paper, news source, or anything that should have been edited, well, that's not easy to ignore.

Typos in forums don't bother me; I also type fast, use mostly the phone or iPad and often don't catch autocorrect.  Also don't care about grammatical errors in conversational usage. And I'm a copy editor

• Upvote 10
PennySycamore

This was one we were talking about while we waited to be seated at a restaurant this evening.  There is this store that does custom embroidery called EmbroidMe.  It's not EmbroiderMe, but EmbroidMe.  That just strikes my daughter, my husband and myself as really, really stupid sounding and looking.  The other is a local florist who did the flowers at my daughter's wedding 10 years ago.  It's A Arrangement, not An Arrangement. The shop does great work, but their name grates on my daughter's last nerve.

• Upvote 7
HarryPotterFan
2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Or we scoot over to college football, U of M has a tight end named Jake Butt.

No wonder he plays football. He probably was teased mercilessly and  learned to tackle the shit out of people to get them to shut up.

• Upvote 10
ClaraOswin
On 11/18/2016 at 10:27 PM, PennySycamore said:

What I love about this ad for Dillard's Department Store is that it makes the same mistake not just once, but twice!

I only saw the one mistake. Where was the second one? (I am falling asleep so it is probably super obvious...ha!)

• Upvote 4
VooDooChild
10 hours ago, patsymae said:

Typos in forums don't bother me; I also type fast, use mostly the phone or iPad and often don't catch autocorrect.  Also don't care about grammatical errors in conversational usage. And I'm a copy editor

I should have been more clear. I wasn't snarking on you, but using that as an example.  I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, which is why I could never be a good editor.

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

This was one we were talking about while we waited to be seated at a restaurant this evening.  There is this store that does custom embroidery called EmbroidMe.  It's not EmbroiderMe, but EmbroidMe.  That just strikes my daughter, my husband and myself as really, really stupid sounding and looking.  The other is a local florist who did the flowers at my daughter's wedding 10 years ago.  It's A Arrangement, not An Arrangement. The shop does great work, but their name grates on my daughter's last nerve.

I've seen one EmbroidMe in my life and it drove me nuts too.  Maybe they were trying to rhyme with 'embroidery'.  If that is what they were going for, I can somewhat give them a pass.  A Arrangement is inexcusable.

• Upvote 3
allthegoodnamesrgone
11 hours ago, patsymae said:

Grammar nazi make me a bit nervous, as a horrific speller and even worse typer I often make these mistakes. My biggest mistake isn't that I don't know the difference between the two it's just that I cannot spell the words, defiantly and definitely (and yes I had to google these to spell them properly) even to the point of allowing auto correct to fix them.

I, like Trump, have the best words, I know all the words, I just can't spell them. 

• Upvote 9
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic