IGNORED

Informal poll: what do you call...

HerNameIsBuffy

I always thought a Black Cow was an Adult Beverage... but maybe I meant a Black Russian?!

Hmm.  I'd take the root beer version, tho :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Fascinated said:

A Brown Cow is Kahlua and cream. (Or milk if you're desperate.) And ice. That's it. And deliciousness abounds!  Would be beneficial for recap duties.  

My, that has possibilities.  The drink, not the recapping,

And now I want to smell root beer because I like it but hate the dentist and want to see what you're talking about.

And ginger ale is medicinal.  Useful for setting ones stomach but in order for it to be delicious it needs ice, grenadine, and a couple of maraschino cherries.  Now I want a Kiddie Cocktail.

(Ma would put ginger in the cold water she'd take out to Pa and Laura in the field so they could drink deeply without getting stomach cramps.  Always wondered how she did that - raw ginger or did she steep it to make like a tea first?)

5 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I always thought a Black Cow was an Adult Beverage... but maybe I meant a Black Russian?!

Hmm.  I'd take the root beer version, tho :)

A Black Cow IS an adult beverage. A Black Russian is also an adult beverage!  This one is five parts vodka to two parts coffee liqueur (thanks, Google). Both require ice and a glass container of some  sort. It sounds to me like the Black Russian would aid in recapping duties more effectively than the Brown Cow. I'm gonna do some research on this tomorrow (as am in Florida for a few days), solely for your edification.  

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My, that has possibilities.  The drink, not the recapping,

And now I want to smell root beer because I like it but hate the dentist and want to see what you're talking about.

And ginger ale is medicinal.  Useful for setting ones stomach but in order for it to be delicious it needs ice, grenadine, and a couple of maraschino cherries.  Now I want a Kiddie Cocktail.

(Ma would put ginger in the cold water she'd take out to Pa and Laura in the field so they could drink deeply without getting stomach cramps.  Always wondered how she did that - raw ginger or did she steep it to make like a tea first?)

She was a tremendous mother so I suspect she steeped it. 

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've got a stubborn kidney stone ....maybe I should start downing sasparilla.

Did you see my warning above about sassafrass /sarsaparilla being a carcinogen? 

I have a root beer tree growing in my yard and looked it up because it was strange looking.  That's how I know all this esoteric botanical stuff although I don't drink root beer.

I thought kahlua and milk was a Black Russian.  Yummy.

Kahlua, vodka and milk is a White Russian.  Drink that if you dare.

I am now pining to try a chocolate ice cream in coca cola float, which sounds much more like my speed these days.

Unfortunately, I don't have any coke or any ice cream in the house.  Damn it, people!

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Did you see my warning above about sassafrass /sarsaparilla being a carcinogen? 

I have a root beer tree growing in my yard and looked it up because it was strange looking.  That's how I know all this esoteric botanical stuff although I don't drink root beer.

I thought kahlua and milk was a Black Russian.  Yummy.

Kahlua, vodka and milk is a White Russian.  Drink that if you dare.

I am now pining to try a chocolate ice cream in coca cola float, which sounds much more like my speed these days.

Unfortunately, I don't have any coke or any ice cream in the house.  Damn it, people!

Based on my research it seems like Kahlua, vodka and milk would be a Black Russian Cow. Anyway, gonna get some Kahlua tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Fascinated said:

A Black Cow IS an adult beverage. A Black Russian is also an adult beverage!  This one is five parts vodka to two parts coffee liqueur (thanks, Google). Both require ice and a glass container of some  sort. It sounds to me like the Black Russian would aid in recapping duties more effectively than the Brown Cow. I'm gonna do some research on this tomorrow (as am in Florida for a few days), solely for your edification.  

Not my recapping ...I wouldn't defile good vodka with coffee liqueur.  Conversations like this make me realize I don't drink nearly enough.  Methinks a stop on the way to pick up a bottle of Gray Goose might be in order...

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I have a root beer tree growing in my yard

Wait, wait.  A tree with cans of root beer on it?  Or is there really a root beer tree (sans cans)?!  

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Methinks a stop on the way to pick up a bottle of Gray Goose might be in order...

Not a vodka girl myself, but peeps always tell me freezer-living Stoli is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Based on my research it seems like Kahlua, vodka and milk would be a Black Russian Cow. Anyway, gonna get some Kahlua tomorrow. 

I will heed your warning and not attempt to find sasparilla :).  It doesn't grow in my yard and unless you can find it next to the Gray Goose doubtful I'd stumble upon it.

if you have kaluha and I have vodka tomorrow then as long as we log in to fj we won't be drinking alone.   Like a party everyone byob....be it adult or ice cream based.

Just now, MarblesMom said:

Wait, wait.  A tree with cans of root beer on it?  Or is there really a root beer tree (sans cans)?!  

There really is a root beer tree - sans cans:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

Mine is at the back of the yard (we have just over an acre) and is sort of ugly.  It amuses me though.

The things I learn on FJ...  knowledge is power.  Or something.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I will heed your warning and not attempt to find sasparilla :).  It doesn't grow in my yard and unless you can find it next to the Gray Goose doubtful I'd stumble upon it.

if you have kaluha and I have vodka tomorrow then as long as we log in to fj we won't be drinking alone.   Like a party everyone byob....be it adult or ice cream based.

Meet you here at, say, 8ish EST?  I should have the whole thing sussed out quite nicely by then.  I may not be coherent but that's nothing new. All in the name of research! By the way, I need you to advise whether it's worth paying extra for the Grey Goose. My tastes are decidedly lowbrow and I don't wish to be taken advantage of, price wise. 

5 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

There really is a root beer tree - sans cans:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

Mine is at the back of the yard (we have just over an acre) and is sort of ugly.  It amuses me though.

Pic please?  From where does the root beer come?  (That does not sound grammatically correct. Sorry.)

12 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Pic please?  From where does the root beer come?  (That does not sound grammatically correct. Sorry.)

I'm not sure I can get a better photo than the one on wikipedia.  It's way back on the end of our property on the edge of the woods.  It is outside our deer/dog fence deliberately because the deer love it and chew on it all the time.  Mine is apparently male (by the flowers) and probably about 30' tall.  Want to help me give that bad boy a name?

Apparently all parts of the tree are edible but I assume the roots are/were used for root beer.  All of it is "fragrant" - if you like the smell of dentists.  

Just musing: Perhaps my aversion to root beer is like my hatred of cilantro/coriander.  You either love it or hate it and it is genetic.    To me cilantro tastes like soap and root beer smells like the dentist.   

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

To me cilantro tastes like soap

There is the dividing line.  SO MANY people tells me cilantro tastes like soap.  I disagree.

I think this is part of our eyes telling us if the dress is one color or another.  The human body is a fickle, complex thingy.  Kinda cool.

I hate cilantro!  It tastes like the smell of soap!!!!  It overrides everything it's in. Not a fan. 

I've heard them called a brown cow, never black. And Sarsaparilla is not the same as root beer. 

13 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

There is the dividing line.  SO MANY people tells me cilantro tastes like soap.  I disagree.

I think this is part of our eyes telling us if the dress is one color or another.  The human body is a fickle, complex thingy.  Kinda cool.

I've tried to like cilantro.  I've even made the damn cilantro pesto.  But I just can't stand it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

2 hours ago, Karma said:

I'd  never heard of a root beer float till Jill's wedding...

So is root beer the same as gingerale?

Funny, I was just reading a list somewhere today of things foreigners find weird when visiting the U.S. and one of the items was "Root beer tastes disgusting and I've never met a non-American who could stand it." I never realized it was an American thing before! And I always thought of root beer as being, well, root beer flavored? Really shows the depth of my critical thinking skills...

And I've heard of Sasparillas but didn't realize they were root beer floats. So that's what the Stranger is drinking in The Big Lebowski? Well, color my mind blown. Woulda taken him for a gin man.

Aussie here. Cilantro is called coriander and I love it in Thai/Asian dishes. Yum.

A drink involving fizzy soft drink and ice cream is a spider (as already mentioned by @Karma and @uber frau who is possibly also an Aussie based on that).

A Black Russian to me is Kahlua, vodka and coke. A White Russian is Kahlua, vodka and milk. (Years of working in bars whilst a student). And the only decent vodka for me is Stoli kept in a freezer. 

Now that someone has said that root beer does not equal sarsparilla I have no idea what root beer smells/tastes like. Maybe we don't have an equivalent here. Must go play on google I think.

9 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I've heard them called a brown cow, never black. And Sarsaparilla is not the same as root beer. 

You are right.  What we learn on Free Jinger.

Sarsaparilla is a vine and Sassafras is a tree.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/491829-sarsaparilla-vs-root-beer/

Kahlua and milk or cream is a white Russian. Don't ask me how I know, but don't get between me and my Kahlua. Or amaretto.

I do not like cilantro, lamb, or anything peanut butter unless it is a Reese cup. 

13 minutes ago, Karma said:

I promised @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? that I'd try one when were in the US a few months back, but I chickened out...

Same here! :pb_redface: The jar of Vegemite is still sitting on my counter, untasted. I hate wasting things, so I need to "get my brave on" (that's what my kids did when they got their flu shots) before it goes past its "best by" date. :pb_lol: 

I agree that root beer and sarsparilla don't taste the same. I've only had sarsparilla once in awhile, but I seem to recall that it isn't as sweet as root beer. I don't drink soda much anymore, but I like a bottle of Henry Weinhardt's root beer or orange cream soda when I'm in the mood. Or a bottle of lime flavored Jarritos soda. I've heard of Black Cows, but I didn't realize they're the same as root beer floats. FJ as continuing education!

Is anyone else familiar with a Fresh Lime Squeeze? It was a kind of fizzy limeade that a regional drive-in had, back in the dark ages of my youth. :my_biggrin:

24 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Kahlua and milk or cream is a white Russian. Don't ask me how I know, but don't get between me and my Kahlua. Or amaretto.

I do not like cilantro, lamb, or anything peanut butter unless it is a Reese cup. 

A White Russian has vodka, cream/milk/half&half and Kahlua. Black Russian is vodka & Kahlua. 

I love lamb, cilantro, peanut butter, and Vegemite, but not together. obviously. 

Woo hoo, a non Australian who admits to liking vegemite!  Kudos to you, @Maggie Mae!  

Lol, @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, I don't feel so bad now that I know you haven't opened your vegemite. :) 

I also like coriander/cilantro in Thai food, which is very popular here.  Peanut butter I don't mind but haven't had in ages.  We grew up on lamb, would have eaten it at least 4 nights a week, but it's so expensive now that I don't buy it often.

Archived