IGNORED

Informal poll: what do you call...

HerNameIsBuffy

In a glass there is vanilla ice cream and root beer is poured over it.  Served with spoon and straw.

What do you call this treat?

I just found out my name for this was unheard of by some lovely people I consider highly cultured snd awesome...so now I'm wondering if I'm the weirdo.

Nah, I know the proper name - just thought it would be fun as I'm generally curious as to the consensus on this.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the first person to come up with the same name I use with get an internet high five from me.  Because that's worth winning, am I right?  

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

It's a root beer float!

Thanks for playing lovely person who is cultured and awesome...but...no.

A cabinet?   That's fairly localized to New England and I'm not sure it's a root beer float, but it is similar.

Ok, @HerNameIsBuffy, are you going to tell us what these weird people called it?  'Cause that's a root beer float. 

I am reliably informed that it is a "Black Cow."

Root beer smells disgusting so I have never tried one.

Just now, Palimpsest said:

I've never heard of a Black Cow!  (Now, a Brown Cow I can get behind.) 

Just now, Fascinated said:

I honestly don't know.  I just asked Mr P what a root beer float was called in his misbegotten youth and he came up with Black Cow!  :laughing-rollingyellow:

Black Cow can refer to either:

A cow that is black.

A root beer float or Coke float.

An alcoholic drink (sometimes referred to as a Black Cow #2) featuring Kahlúa, half-and-half, and Coca-Cola.

A 1977 song by Steely Dan on their Aja album. The title refers to the alcoholic drink.

A candy, a Sugar Daddy bar covered in chocolate.

Ha!  Wikipedia tells me that Mr. P is correct!  (I don't recall this Steely Dan song, by the way. Interestingly, or not, perhaps, Mr. F and I disagree about Steely Dan. I do not care for them.) 

5 minutes ago, Karma said:

I'd  never heard of a root beer float till Jill's wedding...

So is root beer the same as gingerale?

Hell, no!!!!  Ginger Ale is somewhat palatable!

6 minutes ago, Karma said:

Nope--not even close....other than fizzy and having alcoholic sounding names :)

Distinctly different.
It's the same as Sarsaparilla though

17 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Ding ding ding - internet high five for the correct answer.

True they are technically root beer floats.  But cars are technically automotive vehicles but that's not the term that springs to mind when you see one. :) 

14 minutes ago, Karma said:

Nooooo.  Not even close.  Root beer smells like the dentist.  As I said, I don't know what it tastes like.

Root beer is (or was) sassafrass (Sassafras albidum) flavored.  Sassafrass is a tree native to N. America.  It is also supposed to cause cancer in large doses so root beer is artificially flavored these days.

@HerNameIsBuffy, I'll pass the high five on to Mr P. :)

48 minutes ago, uber frau said:

We don't really have root beer here but the equivalent concoction is known as a spider where I am.

I womder what the etymology is for that decidedly unappetizing name?

Huh!  Who knew?  I turned 60 this year (ugh), and this is the first I've heard of a Black Cow. Not the first thing I've learned on FJ though. And won't be the last. 

24 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

How are you defining brown cow?  I've never heard of one until researching tonight to prove I didn't make up black cow.

Some say it's chocolate ice cream and root beer, there are other versions.  I think some call what I call a chocolate coke float a brown cow.

chocolate coke float I read about in a book as a kid and insisted in trying then loved.  Fifteen by Beverly Cleary maybe?

My mom would make phosphates and they were amazzzing.  She said they weren't as good as from the days of the soda fountain but as I don't go back as far as she did I was happy with her version.  Soda water or tonic, syrup, ice cream.  She'd befoul hers with whipped cream (yuck) but gosh those were good.

5 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Nooooo.  Not even close.  Root beer smells like the dentist.  As I said, I don't know what it tastes like.

Root beer is (or was) sassafrass (Sassafras albidum) flavored.  Sassafrass is a tree native to N. America.  It is also supposed to cause cancer in large doses so root beer is artificially flavored these days.

@HerNameIsBuffy, I'll pass the high five on to Mr P.

Well, I don't know if it's the wine, but I can't bold the dentist thing.  Just want you to know I literally laughed out loud (llol) at this, @Palimpsest. Very funny. (And true. Who drinks this crap?)

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@HerNameIsBuffy, I'll pass the high five on to Mr P. :)

This probably explains the absence of root beer floats and black cows in my life.  

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I womder what the etymology is for that decidedly unappetizing name?

You know us Australians, we do have lots of spiders...

19 minutes ago, dawbs said:

Nope--not even close....other than fizzy and having alcoholic sounding names :)

Distinctly different.
It's the same as Sarsaparilla though

From Wikipedia:

Sarsaparilla was also believed to be a preventative against venereal disease, possibly because of the diuretic effects of flushing the urethra after intercourse

I've got a stubborn kidney stone ....maybe I should start downing sasparilla.

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

How are you defining brown cow?  I've never heard of one until researching tonight to prove I didn't make up black cow.

Some say it's chocolate ice cream and root beer, there are other versions.  I think some call what I call a chocolate coke float a brown cow.

chocolate coke float I read about in a book as a kid and insisted in trying then loved.  Fifteen by Beverly Cleary maybe?

My mom would make phosphates and they were amazzzing.  She said they weren't as good as from the days of the soda fountain but as I don't go back as far as she did I was happy with her version.  Soda water or tonic, syrup, ice cream.  She'd befoul hers with whipped cream (yuck) but gosh those were good.

A Brown Cow is Kahlua and cream. (Or milk if you're desperate.) And ice. That's it. And deliciousness abounds!  Would be beneficial for recap duties.  

I had no earthly clue there was any other name than root beer float...

Archived