IGNORED

okay, now I'm really confused - Bayly Brothers

julie paradox

I confess, I couldn't resist clicking on the Bayly Brothers' link "top ten best/worst books about sex" which goes to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listma ... TF8&lm_bb=

Now, quite apart from number 3

The list author says:

"If I get one go at a man who claims the Name of Jesus while despising work, authority, marriage, and children, it's Wilson for sure. There's no better book for reforming unbiblical marriages and men. Our church has always had multiple copies on hand and yours should, too. But be warned: Wilson's perspicuity and manliness in controversy has blessed him with many enemies."

which is either incomprehensible or internally inconsistent; his notes on 4 and 5 and the giving of Middlemarch four stars just completely baffles me.

On "The Doll House"

"There's no better place to make a short investment of time toward a good understanding of the wickedness of feminism evident from its beginning. A propagandist of the first order, Ibsen gets to the nub of the issue quickly. Try reading it one evening with a reading group, each taking his and her part. It's a play, so it shouldn't be difficult to complete."

On an academically long title:

"A Fuller Theological Seminary prof, Jewett's work serves as the locus classicus of the feminism that claims to honor Scripture. But it’s a fools task. As the late feminist Mary Daly put it, "Christianity is hopelessly patriarchal." Jewett was one of the few honest enough to say Scripture said it and Scripture was wrong. Don't waste your time on any other feminist tracts."

Do they actually know what they're talking about?

They want to seem intellectual. That's about the size of it. I haven't read Middlemarch or the Doll's House. But Turgenev's Father's and Sons (which is actually Fathers and Children in Russian) is not about "father hunger".

It's called mansplaining, and yes, it is confusing. It's meant to be. What's that saying? "If I can't dazzle you with facts, I'll baffle you with bullshit?" That's what a mansplainer will do. You, as a mere little woman without a thought in your head, can't possibly understand the big scary world, so the all-important (in his own mind) man will simply talk over you and show you how you should think. No need for it to make sense because women simply don't understand these things. Fundie men are exceptionally "good" at this. :roll:

It's called mansplaining, and yes, it is confusing. It's meant to be. What's that saying? "If I can't dazzle you with facts, I'll baffle you with bullshit?" That's what a mansplainer will do. You, as a mere little woman without a thought in your head, can't possibly understand the big scary world, so the all-important (in his own mind) man will simply talk over you and show you how you should think. No need for it to make sense because women simply don't understand these things. Fundie men are exceptionally "good" at this. :roll:

What's wrong with calling it bullshit? Because that's what it is. Bullshit. It's not just men that do this, either- both genders do this. It's favorite tactic of scammers.

I think mansplaining is a variant of bullshytte, but it deserves a separate word because of the gender dynamics involved:

This syndrome is something nearly every woman faces every day, within herself too, a belief in her superfluity, an invitation to silence, one from which a fairly nice career as a writer (with a lot of research and facts correctly deployed) has not entirely freed me. After all, there was a moment there when I was willing to believe Mr. Very Important and his overweening confidence over my more shaky certainty.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/13 ... p-solnit13

I hope I've immunized my daughter against this, but I still fall in the trap sometimes.

Rebecca Solnit, the originator of the concept if not the exact term, is a great writer btw.

I see the Bayly brothers are Presbyterian. Are there different kinds of Presbyterians? I have a cousin who's gay, very liberal, and has been involved in the Presbyterian church for his whole adult life. My Presbyterian neighbors are also very liberal.

Nell

I think mansplaining is a variant of bullshytte, but it deserves a separate word because of the gender dynamics involved:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/13 ... p-solnit13

I hope I've immunized my daughter against this, but I still fall in the trap sometimes.

Rebecca Solnit, the originator of the concept if not the exact term, is a great writer btw.

Nah, I get it, I just have a sort of complex about made-up words like that. Some of them I love, others I can't stand. "Blogosphere" pisses me off too.

I don't really agree with the concept either (the most condescending, horrible asshole I've ever had the misfortune to interact with is female), but it's mostly the word that irritates me.

Edited for clarity

LynnKaboom - *shrug* language weirds. Obviously it's a term that a lot of people found useful. Now I'm really hoping it will be one of the finalists for the Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year!

I see the Bayly brothers are Presbyterian. Are there different kinds of Presbyterians? I have a cousin who's gay, very liberal, and has been involved in the Presbyterian church for his whole adult life. My Presbyterian neighbors are also very liberal.

Nell

There are multiple Presbyterian churches in the US. The two biggest are the PC(USA), which is moderate to liberal, depending on the congregation, and the PCA, which is conservative to fundie, again, depending on the congregation. For example, PC(USA) ordains women and non-celibate gay men and women, PCA ordains only men who are married or celibate.

Archived