IGNORED

For whom will the Duggars vote?

doggie

I'd guess JB would still be pro Trump after tonight b/c he identifies with the inability to control his sexual urges and narcissism and washed Joshly's sins under the rug. 

However, I honestly was really surprised at the (religious) Republican outrage today when Trump has so clearly been sexist in the past. I eventually realized that the main difference here might be that it is directly sexual and impacts female purity. So, it could be a deal breaker for many evangelicals ... but likely not JB.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will do like my family is doing, they will write in a name for the President, and check off all the little R's down the ballot.  They won't vote for him or anyone else for President. but they will vote for every other candidate 

Well Trump will have Josh's vote. They have the same views on women. Who are we kidding? Jimbob will also vote for Trump and the Duggar kids + Michelle listen to him so Trump has the Duggars endorsement. 

14 minutes ago, Arix said:

I haven't been watching the news, what did he do now?

A recording from a few years ago has surfaced. In it, Trump brags about sexually assaulting women. I found it here.

(P.S. @lomo6--I love the thread title!)

I imagine this year it'll be write-in for them. No way is Trump godly enough, not even if he's a Republican. Most of my religious friends denounce him and most of my redneck non religious friends adore him.

9 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They will do like my family is doing, they will write in a name for the President, and check off all the little R's down the ballot.  They won't vote for him or anyone else for President. but they will vote for every other candidate 

This slightly comforts me. I have some fairly conservative Christian relatives and I'm so curious as to what their plans are. They're not fundie by any means but they would never vote for a Dem, but I don't see how they could justify voting for this dumpster fire of a man in good conscience. 

I wonder do the Duggars watch the news? or read a paper?

My very conservative LDS neighbors don't watch the news (regularly)  and today they are all still on the Trump train(I was at a sporting event this morning and got an earful of politics and other views).  What I did find VERY telling , is when my son went to register to vote in Utah, Republican is no longer the majority? There was independent and unaffiliated so I looked up the options meant, and the majority of Utah voters in 2016 are unaffiliated. I believe they still are holding our hope for a Jeb Bush or Cruz write in but will vote for Trump (as instructed).

I could see the Duggars either doing a write-in or quietly skipping the election. 

On the other hand, they may find ways to justify Trump as some other conservatives are doing. The Duggars don't appear to consider the abuse of women/girls to be a big deal, so it may not offend them that much.

It's interesting because some fundies are disgusted by his behavior or find him too "liberal" (Trump is no liberal otherwise Democrats wouldn't hate him as much as they do). Other fundies agree with him or choose him over a woman. For example, Jill Rodrigues will probably vote for him, as well as a Keilen-in-law. Ben and Jessa will probably write someone in or go third party. Unless they explicitly tell us, we are stuck guessing.

I think most fundies will still vote Trump. However, they will justify it not as a vote for Trump, but as a vote against abortion/Hillary.

And I think there will also be many with serious issues of conscience when they have to choose between sexual assault and abortion. 

Personally, much as I am not a Hilllary fan, I shudder to think of how far the clock will turn back for women on capitol hill with Trump in charge. They will be free game. I would never allow my daughter to be an intern in the White house if he is president.

And why would you trust somebody with world power if you cannot trust him to honor the personal integrity of women around him? 

And why has nobody taken him to court yet for sexual assault charges? Sounds like he has been abusing women for decades.

Lastly, this response pissed me off no end:

'Naturally I’m disappointed," said Steve Scheffler, head of the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition. "But, you know, the Bible tells me that we are all sinners saved by grace and I don't think there's probably a person alive that I know of that hasn’t made some mistakes in the past." (Reuters)

Assault is a crime, not a mistake. So you want a criminal for president? Oh, and stop abusing the Bible!!!!

1 hour ago, foreign fundie said:

I think most fundies will still vote Trump. However, they will justify it not as a vote for Trump, but as a vote against abortion/Hillary.

And I think there will also be many with serious issues of conscience when they have to choose between sexual assault and abortion. 

Personally, much as I am not a Hilllary fan, I shudder to think of how far the clock will turn back for women on capitol hill with Trump in charge. They will be free game. I would never allow my daughter to be an intern in the White house if he is president.

And why would you trust somebody with world power if you cannot trust him to honor the personal integrity of women around him? 

And why has nobody taken him to court yet for sexual assault charges? Sounds like he has been abusing women for decades.

Lastly, this response pissed me off no end:

'Naturally I’m disappointed," said Steve Scheffler, head of the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition. "But, you know, the Bible tells me that we are all sinners saved by grace and I don't think there's probably a person alive that I know of that hasn’t made some mistakes in the past." (Reuters)

Assault is a crime, not a mistake. So you want a criminal for president? Oh, and stop abusing the Bible!!!!

This logic makes no sense. If we (as a society) say we're all sinners and so forgive people's crimes, what's the point in having any kind of law or criminal justice system at all?

Unless the only crime we're willing to forgive is sexual assault. I wonder what Scheffler's response would be if Trump's crime had been, say, murder or burglary.

I'll bet they'll vote for Trump (with the hope he quits and Pence get to be POTUS).

This may be a naïve question but how do the Duggars access political information? Do they, horror upon horror, watch television, er FOX News? Do they check out right wing websites? I thought those kind of activities were forbidden. My gut tells me that they watch plenty of TV. The irony of being on a television show while banning television in their home is amusing.

23 minutes ago, Becket70 said:

This may be a naïve question but how do the Duggars access political information? Do they, horror upon horror, watch television, er FOX News? Do they check out right wing websites? I thought those kind of activities were forbidden. My gut tells me that they watch plenty of TV. The irony of being on a television show while banning television in their home is amusing.

That's a good question. I don't think the Duggars watch TV on a regular basis, not even Fox. Since Joshley Madison, JB and Michelle are probably clamping down even harder on Internet access, given how it caused Satan to build a fortress in Josh's heart. My guess is that JB is involved in the local Republican party and gets news from the people there. Then he might get the Internet password from Jana and look up candidates online. However, the Duggars don't strike me as the most informed people, especially since abortion is the only issue they care about, so maybe they just find out a candidate's position on that and call it a day.

They will write in a candidate for president and then vote republican for all other local and state offices.

no matter what trump says evangelicals will still vote for him. part of it is the supreme court thing but who says the Donald will get someone they like?  it is amazing how you can just ignore the parts of trump you don't like and still say your doing it for christianity. too bad they can't do that for gay people huh??? but its s ok to do it for a perv like trump.

8 hours ago, alba said:

Unless the only crime we're willing to forgive is sexual assault. I wonder what Scheffler's response would be if Trump's crime had been, say, murder or burglary.

And only sexual assault against women/girls, at that. If Trump had said he tries to conduct sexual relationships with married men or tries to grab other men's genitals, I highly doubt anyone in the religious right would be talking at all about forgiveness.

Personally I think they won't advertise the fact but they will vote for him.

He offers all the make America great (and white) bullshit that they lap up and they'll justify the vote with Jesus by convincing themselves that the women had it coming for leading Trump on. After all, it's always the woman's fault.... Right? 

As for the tv thing, they may ban the kids from watching it but I'd be very surprised if the parents don't. JB Wouldn't want to miss any possibly sighting of himself. What narcissist would? 

3 hours ago, Gemini said:

Personally I think they won't advertise the fact but they will vote for him.

He offers all the make America great (and white) bullshit that they lap up and they'll justify the vote with Jesus by convincing themselves that the women had it coming for leading Trump on. After all, it's always the woman's fault.... Right? 

As for the tv thing, they may ban the kids from watching it but I'd be very surprised if the parents don't. JB Wouldn't want to miss any possibly sighting of himself. What narcissist would? 

Assuming JB and Michelle do watch TV, what could they possibly watch that wouldn't offend their Gothardite sensibilities? We're talking about a couple that considered the Andy Griffith show suspect because the characters didn't pray enough to solve their problems (actually, the only scripted show that I can think of where the characters pray and go to church on a regular basis is the Simpsons). Even at their height, the Duggars were never like the Kardashians, who really do show up on TV all the time. JB and Michelle also strike me as very thin-skinned and humorless, and I can't see them laughing at an SNL sketch or a TMZ segment about themselves. The only TV I could see them watching are televangelists, and most cities have local Christian religious channels that you don't need cable to see.

7 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Assuming JB and Michelle do watch TV, what could they possibly watch that wouldn't offend their Gothardite sensibilities? We're talking about a couple that considered the Andy Griffith show suspect because the characters didn't pray enough to solve their problems (actually, the only scripted show that I can think of where the characters pray and go to church on a regular basis is the Simpsons). Even at their height, the Duggars were never like the Kardashians, who really do show up on TV all the time. JB and Michelle also strike me as very thin-skinned and humorless, and I can't see them laughing at an SNL sketch or a TMZ segment about themselves. The only TV I could see them watching are televangelists, and most cities have local Christian religious channels that you don't need cable to see.

As much as I would love that JB and Michelle snuggle up to watch the Simpsons, I was thinking more along the lines that they watch news channels (both world and entertainment) which would be how they know what's going on with Trump.

I can't see JB enjoying a mocking sketch show of himself either. However I can see him watching tlc frequently to catch the Adverts for the show to feed his little narcissistic soul. 

As for the Andy Griffin show, having never seen it I have no idea on how that reflects on things. However they were very good at giving the "look how wholesome we are" act and the "they don't pray enough" fits right in there. They are so good at lying, it's hard for them to tell what's true let alone a viewer.

now back to imagining the Dugger's watching the Simpsons......

Archived