Jump to content
IGNORED

For whom will the Duggars vote?


doggie
 Share

Recommended Posts

What will they do?

What they always do- Hey, hey. Hey.

 

I wonder if some of the Duggars would not vote at all.

They are pretty lazy. I could see it.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Folks sometimes forget that, before Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority movement in the 1980s, many evangelical Christians in the US stayed away from politics, thinking they were above it all.  [Like the Amish and other Anabaptists still do]  Especially women.

Evangelical Christians may drift back out of the political fray if they feel like they've been burned one too many times by the Republican Party.

  • Upvote 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2016 at 9:04 AM, Snarkylark said:

I don't see that happening, at least with many of the people I know. 

My family is uber conservative, I am not, I'm a centrist/liberal fairly liberal on social aspects and more left leaning centrist on financial matters.  Mean Hillary & Obama are pretty my ideal candidates for me.  My mom and brother try to play off around me at least (in hopes of me moving right) that they are more right leaning centrists when they aren't. They grumble and say Trump is too extreme for them will wind up voting for him. Our mom has never missed a vote, and has never voted anything other than straight R on all elections. They may not like it but they hate Democrats more than they do crazy. My dad and step mom are tea baggers who sit around watching Fox "news" all day and reading The Blaze, Newsmax, RedState propiganda BS sites like this. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

I don't think the Duggars think this deeply about politics. All they care about is being anti-choice.

I doubt they will vote this election as there is no "acceptable" candidate to them and since no one wants a Duggar endorsement, there is no point voting. I never thought the Duggars truly cared about politics, just about how it could make them appear important and as a big political asset. 

I can guarantee you that no Duggar even knows what a Libertarian is, if they have even heard of it. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say they have never heard of libertarians but I do think their understanding of politics is limited and their definition of libertarian is almost certainly skewed.  As you say, there are only a few issues they care about and the rest is just about associating with power.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My best guess is that they'll either abstain for president (while voting a straight Rep ticket for everyone else) or vote Constitution Party for president (with a straight Rep downticket), since the CP is the party that most closely aligns with their views. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Evangelical Christians may drift back out of the political fray if they feel like they've been burned one too many times by the Republican Party.

I'm a bit mixed about it.   On one hand, evangelicals are facing a demographic Armageddon as the millennial generation is abandoning religion in general (the first word millennials associate with Christianity is 'conservative') and they don't know a world where politics and religion are not married (the moral majority was founded the year I was born).  

On the other hand, fundies are about outbreeding the heathens.  You have idiots like Lawson Bates (with a sizable social media following) claiming it violates his religious freedom if you don't legislate conservative Christianity.   

I think ultimately it will be regional (the GOP is quickly turning into a party of old southern white men).  I've worked in Bible Belt districts and even among millennials, conservative Christianity is alive and well.    

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

My best guess is that they'll either abstain for president (while voting a straight Rep ticket for everyone else) or vote Constitution Party for president (with a straight Rep downticket), since the CP is the party that most closely aligns with their views. 

That might be a good guess. I see the Constitution Party is on the ballot in Arkansas: http://www.constitutionparty.com/get-involved/election-central/ballot-access/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm a bit mixed about it.   On one hand, evangelicals are facing a demographic Armageddon as the millennial generation is abandoning religion in general (the first word millennials associate with Christianity is 'conservative') and they don't know a world where politics and religion are not married (the moral majority was founded the year I was born).  

On the other hand, fundies are about outbreeding the heathens.  You have idiots like Lawson Bates (with a sizable social media following) claiming it violates his religious freedom if you don't legislate conservative Christianity.   

I think ultimately it will be regional (the GOP is quickly turning into a party of old southern white men).  I've worked in Bible Belt districts and even among millennials, conservative Christianity is alive and well.    

I don't think we need to worry about fundies outbreeding us. The average conservative tends to have a reasonably sized family. Out of all the prominent conservative politicians I can think of, only Rick Santorum has a large family and even that is relatively small compared to the Duggars and their ilk. Conservatives may talk trash about Planned Parenthood, but you don't see them having quiverfulls themselves, because there's really no need to have double digit numbers of children in 2016. In the overall scheme of things, quiverfullers are pretty fringe. Yes, on a human level it sucks for the individual children born into it, especially the girls, but they aren't going to be running the country, because they invest so little in the human capital of their children. Tow truck operators, Christian country star wannabes, inept missionaries who can't even learn the local language, and outdated IT courses aren't going to "take back America." They're just oddities with delusions of grandeur. The only reason Josh got an "executive" position was because he was a fundie equivalent of Kim Kardashian, not because he was particularly talented. Many of our families are so insular, they don't allow their children to court, which puts a damper on that multigenerational plan. And it is possible for second generation fundies to change their views and leave their lifestyles behind. The lifestyles that our fundies live are inherently unsustainable. JB can't support all of his children and their spouses forever, especially if the show isn't renewed, and given how the restaurant that hosted the "girls' retreat" was trashed on social media, I can't imagine the Duggars getting the speaking engagements they once had, except at ATI events, and ATI is on its last legs. The Maxwells and the Arndts are both stuck with a bunch of emotionally stunted and unmarriagble adults. The Rodrigues kids have no skills to speak of and will probably always be on the margins of society due to their transient lifestyle. The people we need to fear are not so much the people we talk about but the Koch brothers, ALEC, the Family, and mainstream conservatives who write these "religious freedom" bills and the like in the proverbial dark, smoky rooms. 

  • Upvote 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trust me, I know the mainstream conservative and fear them too.  Some of these conservative sugar daddies scare the shit out of me (Sheldon Adleson, what the Donald will become after he loses in November, the Koch brothers, etc).

What also scares me is how many Democrats are idiots (my line of work tries to correct this) and they only focus at the top of the ticket.  As a result the GOP dominates local governments and state legislatures and the Democrats have no bench.  

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Trust me, I know the mainstream conservative and fear them too.  Some of these conservative sugar daddies scare the shit out of me (Sheldon Adleson, what the Donald will become after he loses in November, the Koch brothers, etc).

What also scares me is how many Democrats are idiots (my line of work tries to correct this) and they only focus at the top of the ticket.  As a result the GOP dominates local governments and state legislatures and the Democrats have no bench.  

This is very true and I have no idea how to counteract this. I wish there was some way for local elections to get better coverage in the media, but even then, I doubt many people would bother to educate themselves about the individuals who exert the most control over their lives.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was talking to my father-in-law about this, as he was a Carson supporter until Carson dropped out. He's what I like to call a "knee-jerk Conservative", meaning he will support whomever matches his views, with no regard for whether the candidate can deliver what his promises. Anyway, we were talking about Trump and I said to him "You're always saying how the nation needs to 'turn back to God, and Christian values'... how does Trump in any way reflect those values?" At this point, he's just not going to vote for anyone, but religious Conservatives really do have an interesting dilemma to face unless Trump starts pulling out all the stops to pander to them. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Trust me, I know the mainstream conservative and fear them too.  Some of these conservative sugar daddies scare the shit out of me (Sheldon Adleson, what the Donald will become after he loses in November, the Koch brothers, etc).

What also scares me is how many Democrats are idiots (my line of work tries to correct this) and they only focus at the top of the ticket.  As a result the GOP dominates local governments and state legislatures and the Democrats have no bench.  

I recommend Jane Mayer's book Dark Money. It's all about how the wealthy (especially the conservative ones) own our political process.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Folks sometimes forget that, before Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority movement in the 1980s, many evangelical Christians in the US stayed away from politics, thinking they were above it all.  [Like the Amish and other Anabaptists still do]  Especially women.

Evangelical Christians may drift back out of the political fray if they feel like they've been burned one too many times by the Republican Party.

The notion that fundegelicals were apolitical until Jerry Falwell is a myth. Rather, in the South, they constituted a majority and controlled everything so they didn't have to be activists. When the Civil Rights Movement happened, that hegemony was seriously challenged, but they could still exert power through the instruments of government without resorting to activism. This is why the Jerry Falwell of the 1960s could criticize MLK for marching, which he considered "disruptive" and "communist" all while running a "Christian academy" ( ie segregation academy"), preaching against integration, and working with the FBI to spy on civil rights workers. Once non-Southerns started moving into the South, the fundegelical position was eroded even further. Don't mistake a lack of formal protests with political quietism.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They will vote Trump because he will pick a fundy-type running mate.  And there is zero chance of them supporting a Libertarian.  They aren't much for the cause of liberty.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This is very true and I have no idea how to counteract this. I wish there was some way for local elections to get better coverage in the media, but even then, I doubt many people would bother to educate themselves about the individuals who exert the most control over their lives.

Allow me my rant here about Bernie Sanders and his most rabid followers who want us to believe they are the start of a liberal revolution

We had our primary here in PA a few weeks ago.  Clinton vs. Sanders at the top of the ticket, but we also had a senate primary that was critical since Toomey (R) isn't all that popular and could be beaten this year.  It was a three way race for senate

  • McGinty: Basically, a Clinton clone backed by the establishment
  • Sestak: rebel conservative D who knocked off Specter before losing to Toomey last time around
  • John Fetterman

Fetterman was Bernie's dream candidate.  He endorsed Bernie.  His platform was basically the same as Bernie's.  He went to Bernie's rallies to drum up support for his candidacy and publicly asked Bernie for help.  Bernie was polling around 40%- in a three way race for Senate all Bernie's supporters had to do was vote for him and he'd be the Senate candidate.

Bernie ignored him.  He held a rally on my campus- not one word about Fetterman, or at any of the many other rallies he held.  He poured money into PA trying to win it, but did *nothing* to help a perfect downticket candidate. Meanwhile. Clinton, Obama and the rest stumped for McGinty quite heavily

Bernie's "We're the revolution!" followers?  Bernie got over 40% of the vote in PA.  Fetterman got just under 20%.  That means even among Bernie supporters who managed to vote, less than half could be bothered to vote downticket for the candidate that best represented them.  And so it's Katie McGinty going up against Toomey 

You want a revolution?  Vote for all the people on the ballot who represent what you want.

/Voted for Fetterman.  And Clinton

 

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, guitar_villain said:

Allow me my rant here about Bernie Sanders and his most rabid followers who want us to believe they are the start of a liberal revolution

<snip> 

You want a revolution?  Vote for all the people on the ballot who represent what you want.

 

I think you are right that not all Bernie supporters are voting thoughtfully.

Both Republicans and Democrats tend to have a lot of lazy and not very bright people among their supporters.  And even folks who think more carefully tend to attach themselves to a candidate based on one or two issues they feel strongly about and ignore the rest.  I dislike political discussions because people invariably become defensive about "their" candidate and tend to demonize the others.

My attitude towards all politicians is cynical. They have to give up a lot of principles and compromise a lot to get power.  But if we all looked closely at what they do/have done instead of what they say and promise, we get an idea of what kind of person we are really voting for.

The Duggars are a good example of "single issue voters" who will support whoever  toots the religious conservative horn loudest.  I don't see a point in worrying who they are going to vote for, unless we want to make sure to avoid voting for the same people. (Surely Duggar support is a sign that something is wrong with the candidate.) ;) 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The notion that fundegelicals were apolitical until Jerry Falwell is a myth. Rather, in the South, they constituted a majority and controlled everything so they didn't have to be activists. When the Civil Rights Movement happened, that hegemony was seriously challenged, but they could still exert power through the instruments of government without resorting to activism. This is why the Jerry Falwell of the 1960s could criticize MLK for marching, which he considered "disruptive" and "communist" all while running a "Christian academy" ( ie segregation academy"), preaching against integration, and working with the FBI to spy on civil rights workers. Once non-Southerns started moving into the South, the fundegelical position was eroded even further. Don't mistake a lack of formal protests with political quietism.

I agree with you, Cleo, but I remember when Reagan came into power. It was surprising (to me at least) and it seemed to come out of nowhere.

The fundie/Falwell movement to get out the vote was popular in those circles and was very successful. The conservatives borrowed ideas from the activism of the 60s left and ran with it. I think that there always was a core group that could have and would have voted the fundagelical ticket, but they just didn't bother to vote before the fundie power movement gained steam.

It amazes me how many people in this country just don't vote.  

It frustrates me to no end that there doesn't seem to be a way to motivate democratic non-voters to get off their asses. Religion is a powerful motivation and some of us democrats are heathens ;)

Bernie seems to have a handle on this motivation thing.   I really hope he won't split the democratic vote so much that Trump wins. 

:o

 

Edited by Jucifer
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or they'll just gosh-darn MISS it due to being on DUGGAR TIME! Oopsie doopsies - we missed the election? I guess we should have skipped shellacking our hair helmets and Skyping with Jill, Dizzy, and the Wildling. 

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sad thing is when it comes to most Sanders supporters is that most do not realize that in order to start a revolution it needs to start at a local level first and makes it way to the top vs top to bottom.  I have personally been into poltics since Bush v. Gore when I was 10/11. The first time I decided who I was gunning for to be president was based on the cannidates stance on the war in Iraq my mind was formed over a year in advance before the primaries.  I also knew then in order to have change we need it come from a local level which is why  I volunteer with the local party. These days I don't think most Bernie supporters realize it and they jumped on his bandwagon thinking he could achieve his promises. I went one of his rallies and watched another in both rallies he never really thanked anyone let alone encourage people to vote for any other cannidates. This election  I started as a Bernie fan, although I lined up better with  Hillary, to me he seemed better but the last month and a half his actions, his speeches, and his comments been leaving me with a feeling that is worst then what Cruz has. Also in order to keep track of what the other side is saying I get daily emails from  American  Thinker,  heritage/Daily  signal, redstate, Senator  lankford  & Rep Mullins. Every time I read them my blood pressure raises.

 

The reason why I think the Druggars would vote for Liberatian is that which ever cannidate the Koch Brothers endorses. I know at least one of them is more of a Liberatian compare to a typical republican. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They'll abstain or write in Kasich (heh, or Santorum).  They are single-issue voters and will only vote for the candidate who represents their ideals, and if no one represents their ideals, they won't vote. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a hard core Democrat, so I'll vote for Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. I salivate at the thought of Elizabeth Warren being on the ticket as VP. My husband is a huge Bernie fan. He's probably the most liberal person I've ever met (and that's saying something). He bleeds blue. He #feelsthebern. He has told me flat out he won't vote for Hillary. So, I told him, if he voted for Trump in November, I would stop performing certain "wifely" duties. And I meant that. That's how much I despise Trump.

  • Upvote 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I'm a hard core Democrat, so I'll vote for Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. I salivate at the thought of Elizabeth Warren being on the ticket as VP. My husband is a huge Bernie fan. He's probably the most liberal person I've ever met (and that's saying something). He bleeds blue. He #feelsthebern. He has told me flat out he won't vote for Hillary. So, I told him, if he voted for Trump in November, I would stop performing certain "wifely" duties. And I meant that. That's how much I despise Trump.

I also consider myself a pretty stanch Democrat; I would LOVE Elizabeth Warren as a VP candidate. As a Bernie supporter, I would vote for Hillary in November because there is no way in hell that oompa-loompa idiot should ever be even this close to the presidency.

  • Upvote 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a huge girl crush on Elizabeth Warren ever since I saw her talking economics with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show. She's so intelligent.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share




  • Recent Status Updates

    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Ever been mansplained and it pissed you off so bad that you just want to bitchslap any poor man who might cross your path? 
      · 0 replies
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      I'm not able to update the logos to the fall ones today -- there's a bug that is solved in a recent update version to fix it, but I don't have the time to do that until next week. Until then, we are still living in an endless summer friends! 
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Today is a "I ain't wearing pants" day. Yesterday was pretty shitty so today I'm doing as little as I can get away with. 
      · 0 replies
    • WannabeHistorian

      WannabeHistorian

      Second Covid vax is currently kicking my butt. Fever, chills, body aches, exhaustion, etc. 
      Miserable, but so so grateful to be vaccinated. Sure as hell beats actual Covid.
      · 3 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      So very sad about Willie Garson. RIP
      · 0 replies
    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Started prednisolone tablets today because the asthma inhaler isn't enough. Now I have a sore throat and feel like I have a cold coming.  Need the tablets because breathing isn't an optional body function.  Really don't need the tablets if I have an infection brewing.   
      · 0 replies
    • Cartmann99

      Cartmann99

      My husband commented this morning about how nice the weather is after a cold front moved in last night. Before I could stop him, he asked out loud if I thought this meant an early fall for us.
      That's like when you live up north and start talking about an early spring...
      Be careful, the weather gods are always listening.
      · 3 replies
    • PinkGreyBrown

      PinkGreyBrown

      Grew up fundie-adjacent. My mother called herself a recovering fu**tamendalist, & she was not given to swearing. Thankfully she raised me as free of religious weirdness as she was capable. Her mother is all the regressive things -- racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-semitic, ableist, fundamentalist Protestant nonsense, all of it, & longing for a golden past that never existed.
      I'm an atheist with a bit of an obsession about fundies, particularly of the Christian varieties cuz that's what I'm surrounded by. I've been reading this forum for well over a decade now & finally decided to make an account.
      Thanks for having me here.
      · 1 reply
    • treehugger

      treehugger

      TW stillbirth: 
       
      · 5 replies
    • Hazelbunny

      Hazelbunny

      The old Bunny has a broken left front leg. He tried to escape from his cage over the top and fell awkwardly. He is now on "Cage-rest" and Painmeds.  Life is slowly but surely starting to suck again... 
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.