IGNORED

Dozens arrested at India call center linked to IRS scam calls

47of74

On 10/7/2016 at 8:29 PM, Chocolatedefrauded said:

I hate scammers Ike these with a passion! We've had a minor problem with the IRS this year (SSN may have been used by someone else) so I had to spends hours on hold with IRS, mail forms in to prove our identity & just last week got a letter that we owe $14.10 in late penalty. Luckily I could prove we paid in April & the check was cashed. We even thought the first letter was a scam after hearing these stories. We're actually lucky...

I got a letter in the mail a few months back, from an attorney about a traffic ticket I had not paid and that there was a warrant out for my arrest.  Since I had not been in the county in Texas (ever!) on the day in question, I first thought it was a scam since there are a lot of arrest warrant scams.  But I decided to listen to that voice in my head telling me to check on it, and it turned out to be a real warrant.  I was able to prove that the person using my Texas driver's license number was not me and that I was not even in the state of Texas on that date.  I had to get a letter from my boss stating that I was in his presence on the date/time that I supposedly ran the stop sign and I had to provide documentation in the form of a letter explaining why that drivers license number was not even current.  The county clerk personally hand carried my faxed information to the judge and got the case dismissed with a letter from the judge stating that it was id theft.  She faxed me the release but I had to carry it around with me for a couple of weeks on her advice, she said that my name had probably already been entered into the database for warrants and that I would probably have been arrested if I'd been stopped for a traffic violation even though I'm in Oklahoma now.  It was not a fun few weeks!

11 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I've gotten the Microsoft calls. They went on for years. I tried everything from telling them I only run DOS to telling them I don't own a computer. Finally I asked which computer and they said the one belonging to Daisy Maiden Name. I just started laughing and told them that person hadn't existed in 15 years and she never owned a computer. That stopped them. I don't even know why they had my number associated with my maiden name. It was weird.

The first time we got one of those was fun. Mr. Briefly's cousin worked for Microsoft at that time, Mr. Briefly confused the scammer when he kept asking "is this (cousin's name) Have you met (cousin's name) He's a nice guy, you'd like him!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, littlemommy said:

I got a call from someone saying there was a problem with an online account and I was very curt and rude and—

It was legit. My husband had two account with an online music store and they wanted to know if he wanted to consolidate them and I had been the worst kind of asshole to this poor guy. I apologized profusely for my rudeness and he laughed. 

999 times out of 1000 it’s a scam, but that ONE time... ;)

I know a happy version of the ONE time out of 1000. :)

A lady I know, who is careful and pretty skeptical, got a call telling her that she had won a trip to Hawai'i. It turned out she actually had! When she and her husband had renewed their season tickets for a local symphony, they were entered in a drawing for the trip. It took a lot of convincing for her to believe it, but once she had the honest details, they got to take a mostly* free trip to Hawai'i. Lucky! She said they had a great trip.

(*I say mostly free, because the package they won was very "budget", so they paid a little bit to upgrade their hotel, etc.) 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, libgirl2 said:

A couple of years ago, I get a call that my Mastercard has some fraudulent charges on it. I hung up right away and called the number on my card. It was a legit call, the operator confirmed it. I still would hang up and call the actual number anytime. 

I always do that too.

I also got a call once where a guy called saying he'd met my son at the county jail the night before. I was very confused how my minor son had managed to get himself arrested and released in time to be in his bed in the morning without my being contacted by the police. I hadn't heard of these scams before that so it was just "How the hell did he pull that off?" The guy never got around to whatever he was after because I just kept asking questions.

3 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I always do that too.

I also got a call once where a guy called saying he'd met my son at the county jail the night before. I was very confused how my minor son had managed to get himself arrested and released in time to be in his bed in the morning without my being contacted by the police. I hadn't heard of these scams before that so it was just "How the hell did he pull that off?" The guy never got around to whatever he was after because I just kept asking questions.

Wow, 

Now they are calling with a recording saying that your social security number has been linked to fraudulent activity and will be suspended unless you press 1 RIGHT AWAY!!!   

Yesterday while at my desk at work, my phone rang FOUR times during the day, but luckily my phone picks up on the "Scam Likely" thing so I never answered. But then they leave me a voicemail telling me the IRS is after me so I better call back.

My landline sometimes pops up with "SPAM?" on the caller ID, but not always, alas. I wish they could figure out how to do that more accurately.

I usually get people trying to sell me health insurance. I usually just let it go to voicemail if I don't recognize the name and check messages later. If it's something that may be legit, like a message about an issue with a credit card, I listen to the message and then call the card services number on my card; so far most of them have been the actual company asking about a charge, but I'm not risking it.

I think the worst scammers are the scum that prey on the elderly. My grandfather was getting a lot of that last year, both through the phone and the mail, and starting to have some mental decline at the same time. If I could get my hands on anyone who deliberately went after him for money... Well, I'm pretty sure I'd be lucky if I weren't arrested.

Here's another fun video of trolling email scammers:

Spoiler

I pretty much never answer calls from any number I don't recognize unless I'm actually expecting a call. If it is an important call they can leave me a message. I've got messages from robot voices claiming the IRS was looking for blah blah blah. Whatever. I once picked up a call because I was waiting to hear back from a doctor's office, and got a robot voice claiming the FBI is looking to arrest me, blah blah blah. I just said "Yeah, no it isn't." and hung up. And wouldn't you know it, no FBI agents ever showed up!

The only one that actually freaked me out was when I got a call from my own phone number. My name popped up on my caller ID and I panicked for a moment because I legitimately thought I was being called by a ghost. An odd conclusion to jump to, I know, but I was seriously convinced for just a moment that I was being contacted from beyond the grave! Thankfully, my rational mind reasserted itself and reminded me that a shitty scam was way more likely. I didn't pick up. I googled it, and yup, that's a scam now. A stupid one, IMO because why would I trust someone using my own phone number to ask for money? What on earth could make that sound legit? 

I admire you, people who troll scammers! I wish I ever had the time or inclination. I'm usually already in a hurry and preoccupied when I get these calls. I still get them from random numbers all the time, I just never pick up and they never leave messages anymore. My dad has an app that screens scam calls on his phone, but I'm too lazy to figure that out. 

The only one that actually freaked me out was when I got a call from my own phone number. 

That happened to me once, too.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:49 AM, Flossie said:

Ever get the one where some guy screams that he works for Microsoft and your computer is calling them for help because it's being attacked by a virus?  The only way to save the world is for you to allow them to take over your computer and scrub the offending virus immediately.  Make sure you have a credit card on hand because it'll cost at least a hundred dollars, but I bet if I'd let them do that they'd "find" more problems that would cost more money to resolve.  I've lost track of how many times some guy in badly accented English is just crying trying to save my computer.

Yup. I’ve done stuff like telling them that since my Lord Jesus Christ didn’t use a computer so can’t own one.  Computers are the way Satan watches people in their sleep. 

Once I acted like I called them with the IRS scam. 

Archived