IGNORED

Upcoming Phillips/Sproul nuptuals

ladyamylynn

wow. a royal wedding in fundieland. if their dads hadn't disgraced themselves so badly in the past they could be the new dominionism/VF/fundieworld poster couple. just now where bradrick! and kelly seem to have left the fold.

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

just now where bradrick! and kelly seem to have left the fold.

Whoa! Is this a thing?  Big changes, or they are just quietly living in the PNW? 

34 minutes ago, Howl said:

Whoa! Is this a thing?  Big changes, or they are just quietly living in the PNW? 

it seems as if they at least became more worldly within the last years. kelly is wearing pants, has a nose piercing and seems to interact with other people who have more or less left the fold (the weathers family etc.) and there hasn't been a new blessing in 2 or 3 years.

Uh-oh... Might Tool and Spanks be fighting over the same tartan pattern? It's so hard to coordinate dresseskilts for a wedding!

40 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

Holy shit, JT looks exactly like his dad, doesn't he?

Yes. That's why my brain does this every time I see him: "Damn, he's hotEWWW HE LOOKS LIKE DOUG!!!"

I also seem to remember someone, perhaps Jen Epstein, said that years ago a marriage between JT and one of the Sproul girls had been floated by the dads, but was ultimately nixed because of differing theologies, namely credobaptism versus  pedobaptism. Be interesting to see what changed there.

4 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Yes. That's why my brain does this every time I see him: "Damn, he's hotEWWW HE LOOKS LIKE DOUG!!!"

Looks wise, that apple didn't fall far from the tree. I thought JT looked very good without the idiotic beard and mustache, but now he's a Doug clone.

Justice has grown into quite a good-looking guy. He's been hiking the PCT this summer and all the sun and exercise has agreed with him!

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

I know, poor kid.  And I see that Doug still has his facial hair, much to the dismay of some people...

2 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

I also seem to remember someone, perhaps Jen Epstein, said that years ago a marriage between JT and one of the Sproul girls had been floated by the dads, but was ultimately nixed because of differing theologies, namely credobaptism versus  pedobaptism. Be interesting to see what changed there.

The complete disgrace of both Doug and RC Jr., basically. Sure, they're not totally shunned, but "not totally shunned" and "yes, I'll let my child marry yours" are two very different things. 

Unless Joshua and Delaney go out into the real world and marry normals-- which we know will never happen-- they're kinda stuck with each other. But they look pretty happy, so...

The fact that both father's are in the shit hole of their fundie circles, publicly or privately, makes the pairing far more acceptable now. They know they're not going to get any better. Theology differences? Nah, not an issue when neither one of you is king shit over anyone. Now that both are far lower on the totem pole of fundiedom they both had to relax their standards, give up their ridiculous notions of perfect religion/people/families/whatthehellever and do something about all the kids they made who need to get married ASAP. Again, since they both fell pretty far the money isn't falling from the sky like it used to and both have sizeable families to support. Time to get those kids married off and on their own dole.

There is so, so, so much about this match up that can be analyzed to death. But, hopefully, for their sakes, JT & Delaney chose each other and want to be together. All the alternatives, and there are many, are just too sad. Fundie poster children marriages are hard enough (ask the Bradricks! and the Smortons) but fallen fundie marriages...a whole new ballgame. Same circles, different dynamics.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:14 AM, Howl said:

It's a classic fundy pairing: she does photography, he does computer.

Yes, photography is one of the things a fundie girl can pursue as a hobby, and a fundie young woman can pursue as a career. It's artsy (so the patriarchs can be patronizing about it; it's not a *serious* career, more of a hobby kind of thing, and so long as she doesn't make more money than her husband and doesn't neglect her "keeper at home" duties it will be tolerated by some and admired by some).

It's kind of like having an Etsy store where you sell your own needlework patterns, or other artsy stuff. It's not considered "real" work or "real" income.

(ETA: For some reason I'm reminded of the stereotypical "accomplished" woman of the 1800s mentioned in literature (thinking Jane Austen or Louisa May Alcott) who stitched fancy samplers, sang, spoke French, and maybe played pianoforte or harp. Or Gigi from the movie of the same name, who "learnt to eat cracked crab to perfection.")

We knew guys who were also photographers, but I think the patriarchs tolerated it when it could be looked at as kind of a cool hobby. Certainly not a respectable business to use to support a family. Too artsy for that. 

At least, that was how things appeared to be in the hyper-patriarchal society we used to be a part of.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

On 3/27/2017 at 5:48 AM, Quinquagenarian said:

Is this still on?  Seems very quiet and not evident via other family members. 

Apparently it is:

https://www.theknot.com/us/delaney-sproul-and-joshua-phillips-sep-2017#the-wedding

Somehow I doubt either the Tool or RC Jr. will be officiants.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to necro a thread, but it’s been over 3 months - surely time to announce the first blessing in the next generation of the Phillips multigenerational plan for dominion.

Archived