IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 22: More threads than Duggars

samurai_sarah

11 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

They've already renamed it to Counting On.  The only difference I see is that the younger kids aren't seen that much.  Michelle and JB have definitely made a reappearance.  I guess it would be hard to have a courting season without those 2 involved.  I cringe when I write this but I kind of miss cousin Amy.

I miss Amy too.  She was such a breath of fresh air and normalicy in the show. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much insider info? Lol either the Duggars don't want her near to tattle or Amy said enough with the BS (which she already did, hence why I tend to wonder if there is a rift.).

i stopped following her on Instagram a year ago, so I haven't any idea if she still sees her cousins.

Amy also has her own married life and friends who won't judge her for not being a fundie. Now the Duggars are surrounded by sycophants.

I do wonder how much contact Amy still has with her cousins. She'll occasionally still post congratulations on Instagram, but the pictures always seem a few years old and like she found them on the Internet, lol.

Example:

Maybe Amy got the scientology treatment and was labeled a "supressive person" or whatever they call the "bad ones"

54 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Maybe Amy got the scientology treatment and was labeled a "supressive person" or whatever they call the "bad ones"

Or maybe they know she's going to tempt Smuggar with her defrauding ways. And I'll clarify - no, I don't mean that in a sexual or otherwise nature. I've always believed they've monitored all the kids time with Amy so they don't get interested in the world outside their little bubble. Amy's said as much before, if she wants to see them, it has to be at their house under their supervision. 

My thought is, Amy would be one more reminder of the freedoms that Smuggar is missing now that he's back under his father's thumb. 

Again, not sexual in nature. 

36 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Or maybe they know.....

I'm going to ask for clarification -

I'm assuming you meant because she's a worldly person who watches tv, drinks, and generally enjoys life like a normal human being and they don't want that influence on Joshley? Because it could be taken in another, much darker and disgusting way. 

Just want you to have a chance to clarify before anyone jumps on you. 

12 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm going to ask for clarification -

I'm assuming you meant because she's a worldly person who watches tv, drinks, and generally enjoys life like a normal human being and they don't want that influence on Joshley? Because it could be taken in another, much darker and disgusting way. 

Just want you to have a chance to clarify before anyone jumps on you. 

Yes - and thank you. Clarification added. Did not mean it even remotely in a sexual way. I use the word defrauding to mean anything non-Duggar approved. <3

19 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

"It could happen--I read somewhere that Chuck Vuolo was involved in "saving" Amish people in his area (Lancaster, PA). "

Some of the Amish kids get fed up & leave. But they are lost and find it hard to adjust to the differences in an "English" world. Pastors are good 'savers' for them. Just like we always hope someone will 'save' a Duggar.

The same happens with Hutterites up here. The kids get fed up with all the rules and having no money of their own. Some tell stories of physical and sexual abuse (much like some former Amish). However they are also only educated up to the 8th Grade (10th on SOME colonies - I even know of one girl who was sent - with an unmarried Aunt as chaperon, to University to get her Accounting degree, as she was talented in math, and the colony felt she could be put to good use in the offices. According to the Hutterite Brethern website, more and more kids are able to complete Grade 12, however in my experience, they generally have some kind of talent - something that the colony can use if they get more education.

http://www.hutterites.org/day-to-day/education/grade-school/

32 minutes ago, devoe364 said:

According to the Hutterite Brethern website, more and more kids are able to complete Grade 12, however in my experience, they generally have some kind of talent - something that the colony can use if they get more education.

http://www.hutterites.org/day-to-day/education/grade-school/

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about this. I suppose happy, because some are getting some education, but I still feel sad because so few are exposed to it.

Of course the Brethren must benefit! You could substitute Church, cult, or family in there, too.

19 hours ago, Mothership said:

I can't help thinking that Counting On has now become the last season of Brady Bunch....complete with cousin Oliver.

TLC....officially jumped the shark.

Just remeber that when they jumped the actual shark on happy days it ran for a couple seasons still...

Just now, Four is Enough said:

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about this. I suppose happy, because some are getting some education, but I still feel sad because so few are exposed to it.

Of course the Brethren must benefit! You could substitute Church, cult, or family in there, too.

Its why I am so hesitant about families that are "off grid" or who "homeschool" or "unschool". Alternative lifestyles can be great - as long as the kids are also prepared to be productive members of society. One family that doesn't make my skin crawl is an off grid family in BC. They actually post RELEVANT VERBAGE from the provincial curriculum when they discuss homeschooling their five girls. They also clearly have money that doesn't come from TV, as they vacation in places like Hawaii. 

They may stay on the cheap while they are there, however, it still costs good money to fly from Northern BC to Hawaii - especially 7 people! 

The fact is, no one is thinking about what best prepares the children for adulthood in these situations. Do some of these kids have skills that I envy? Of course. but there is no reason that children educated "in the world" can't learn those skills as well. I have an Uncle who will take Baby Devoe fishing and hunting if he/she wants. 

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Just remeber that when they jumped the actual shark on happy days it ran for a couple seasons still...

I'd say that the Duggars actually jumped the shark on their first  (maybe second) TLC planned road trip.  

On the other hand, it was the demise of the Brady Bunch!  So maybe, pretty please, we're about to the end!

Poor child, being taken from all the things a kid his age enjoys-school, friends, TV, video games, and being forced to be a fundie. I don't know how they were allowed to take their nephew in-their oldest son sexually abused children in the home, sure, he doesn't live there, but the parents covered it up and did not get him appropriate help, and did not get appropriate help for their molested daughters. They have been investigated by CPS before, and also during the interviews that were made public, one of the children said they were spanked with a rod. They are also involved in a cult where child beating, educational neglect and sexual abuse are rampant. I hope they are not beating this child for displaying normal child behaviours, or acting out due to his feelings over being moved to a new home.

I am also the guardian of three children who are not my biological kids, but are related to me (the fourth lives with my sister now, he has severe behaviour issues that are putting the other kids at risk, and my sister is in a better place to look after him. I did not rehome him like a fundie child collector). It is actually really easy to do compared to adopting or fostering a non related child, I never thought they would expand their family in this way though.

On 9/18/2016 at 5:42 AM, MatthewDuggar said:

Those are some pretty *warm* clothes (and ugly) Jill is holding...  I doubt they are going back to CA.   I barely recognized Anna.

I think she actually looks great there. Relaxed.

On 9/18/2016 at 6:01 PM, RabbitKM said:

Is it normal to use strollers like that? (from the shopping pics?) After having so many kids in that family, I wonder why they don't have at least one nicer stroller?

I love the cheapo umbrella stroller for short trips! We had a huge double stroller bc you know, two babies, but when they were bigger we'd take the super cheap ones if there'd be someone to push each of them. It's really nice to not push a 40 pound stroller with two 20 pound kids in it.

5 hours ago, Mela99 said:

So does that mean Papa Vuolo has been witnessing to Amish kids, or that he's helped some of them escape? 

Witnessing, it seems. I only glanced at this, which is what I was referring to the other day, but now I'm looking a bit closer and it's...not good. I went to the Wayback Machine to archive it, and it's a good thing I did, because the speaker list changes periodically. Mike and Debi Pearl spoke at the last Amish Awareness Conference. :tw_grimace:

12 hours ago, halcionne said:

Witnessing, it seems. I only glanced at this, which is what I was referring to the other day, but now I'm looking a bit closer and it's...not good. I went to the Wayback Machine to archive it, and it's a good thing I did, because the speaker list changes periodically. Mike and Debi Pearl spoke at the last Amish Awareness Conference. :tw_grimace:

I am as critical of the Amish as I am of any super Conservative group that controls their members through fear, however, after reading about those speakers, it kind of makes scared. 

1 hour ago, devoe364 said:

I am as critical of the Amish as I am of any super Conservative group that controls their members through fear, however, after reading about those speakers, it kind of makes scared. 

Yeah and the notion that Amish people don't know Jesus is preposterous. More here: http://www.mapministry.org/about/our-story 

Count on the Anna's pregnant group.  Her tee shirt bumps out. She looks great in this picture.  Really beautiful.  I can't see enough of Jill to comment, but from filming it looks like Jill had gained weight after Israel/moving to CA so it's harder to tell.  I don't think the Dillards are going back until the Holidays, if at all.  And I definitely think Jinger is getting married mid-October.  No way that they would wait longer. 

On 9/20/2016 at 1:15 PM, Mothership said:

On 9/20/2016 at 11:49 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

I'd say that the Duggars actually jumped the shark on their first  (maybe second) TLC planned road trip.  

On the other hand, it was the demise of the Brady Bunch!  So maybe, pretty please, we're about to the end.

Slightly OT but I need clarification of some ancient sitcom trivia:

I thought Fonzie jumped a shark on Happy Days.  But Cousin Oliver was the jumped shark on the Brady Bunch?

Or did Cousin Itt jump a shark on the Munsters?  Or the Adams Family?  Who shark jumped on Bewitched?  

Whatever.  The Duggars should have been dumped by TLC long ago.

Their shark is moribund.

18 hours ago, JMO said:

Count on the Anna's pregnant group.  Her tee shirt bumps out. She looks great in this picture.  Really beautiful.  I can't see enough of Jill to comment, but from filming it looks like Jill had gained weight after Israel/moving to CA so it's harder to tell.  I don't think the Dillards are going back until the Holidays, if at all.  And I definitely think Jinger is getting married mid-October.  No way that they would wait longer. 

The cousin oliver thing syndrome is jumping the shark but it's the category in wich a new kid is involved for no actual reason. Like in modern family, wich i haven't really seen in a couple years

12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Slightly OT but I need clarification of some ancient sitcom trivia:

I thought Fonzie jumped a shark on Happy Days.  But Cousin Oliver was the jumped shark on the Brady Bunch?

Or did Cousin Itt jump a shark on the Munsters?  Or the Adams Family?  Who shark jumped on Bewitched?  

Whatever.  The Duggars should have been dumped by TLC long ago.

Their shark is moribund.

"Jump the Shark" is the phrase given to any show that makes some kind of ridiculous episode, adds in a new character, etc in order to try and save the show from cancellation.  It is called Jump the Shark because Fonzie literally ski jumped over an actual shark on Happy Days and the term was coined then.

Oliver Syndrome is a form of shark-jumping, more specifically referring to when a sitcom brings in a younger cast member when the other child cast members are getting too old to be cute any more.  The Brady Bunch was one of the first shows to do this and have it be a failure, hence the term "Oliver Syndrome."  Sometimes, it succeeds though - think Olivia on The Cosby Show.

As a side note, adding Robbie Rist to the Brady cast was not the reason for the show's demise.  The show was barely afloat as it was, and while bringing him in WAS an attempt to save the show, it was pretty much already done.  I know Robbie personally and to this day he STILL gets shit for being the (alleged) reason the show got the ax.

• samurai_sarah pinned this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived