IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 22: More threads than Duggars

samurai_sarah

20 hours ago, devoutjedi said:

My concern is : what do we do with all these people after the election? We can't put the genie back in the bottle, all of this hatred and vitriol is out there now. What do we do with them after it's over? There's no way people just sit down and be quiet/accept the outcome of the election.. so... Where are we supposed to go from here?

Some will talk a big talk about a rebellion and post selfies with AR-15s, but most will be too lazy/bad at planning to actually organize anything of consequence (as most people of all ideological stripes who talk about instigating revolution are wont to be).

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2016 at 8:59 AM, gustava said:

They attended Razorback games long before Ben came on the scene.

I remember the brilliant but no longer updated Stuff Fundies Like saying that it was common for fundies to support college football teams, while simontaneously denouncing the academic aspect of the school as a den of iniquity.

Do we know when the Duggars got convicted to give up pork? I assume King Boob and Mich had it as kids.  Did the older kids eat pork when they were younger?  Was this covered in their books?

18 hours ago, JMO said:

Do we know when the Duggars got convicted to give up pork? I assume King Boob and Mich had it as kids.  Did the older kids eat pork when they were younger?  Was this covered in their books?

I've never read their books and don't know exactly when they started to ignore pork products, but what sticks in my mind is the episode where two of the boys (John David & Josiah?) were at the house by themselves, & they had to cook turkey bacon for breakfast. It may have been around the time when Josie was just born, but I'm not 100% on that.

9 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I've never read their books and don't know exactly when they started to ignore pork products, but what sticks in my mind is the episode where two of the boys (John David & Josiah?) were at the house by themselves, & they had to cook turkey bacon for breakfast. It may have been around the time when Josie was just born, but I'm not 100% on that.

There was an episode in 2010 where there was a popup that said they dont eat pork products.  I believe it was 11/9/10 "Duggars take a dip" - season 4.

22 minutes ago, for_the_Kitties said:

But they eat pepperoni pizza all the time from take out places. Pepperoni has pork in it... 

The Duggars don't strike me as the kind of people who read labels or spend a great deal of time thinking about where their food come from, so I'm not surprised that pepperoni would fly under their radar.

I didn't realize they were anti-pork (insert creepy Jim Bob porking joke).   I just thought they ate turkey bacon because it was cheaper.  I wonder if the married Duggars cook pork for their husbands?  In the most recent CO episode Derek seemed really excited about the bacon section at the grocery store.  

Yeah, i thought the pork thing was a personal preference more than a godly thing. But it always gets brought up here to little avail

I don't see not eating pork as sonething major. Personally, I hate pork chops, pork tenderloin, or anything kind of pork thats served in a style like that. I also hate bacon (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one lol) Yet, I still like pepperoni and sausage. It's probably just a personal preference of theirs, like their love of pickles. 

I can't cite sources, but I seem to recall that Gothardism stresses following a few cherry-picked Old Testament laws to receive "spiritual benefits". So, no sex for 40 days after the birth of a boy, no sex for 80 days after the birth of a girl.  No pork. (But all those other laws about not mixing wool and cotton or not eating dairy and meat? Eh, who cares!)

1 hour ago, freshlemonade said:

I didn't realize they were anti-pork (insert creepy Jim Bob porking joke).   I just thought they ate turkey bacon because it was cheaper.  I wonder if the married Duggars cook pork for their husbands?  In the most recent CO episode Derek seemed really excited about the bacon section at the grocery store.  

Turkey bacon's cheaper in the US? Here in Canada it's usually comparable to the mid price range pork bacon, and is marketed as the more heart-healthy option.

That being said, I just go for the regular bacon, but I usually get turkey breakfast sausages instead of the pork ones because they're leaner and more flavorful. 

22 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I don't see not eating pork as sonething major. Personally, I hate pork chops, pork tenderloin, or anything kind of pork thats served in a style like that. I also hate bacon (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one lol) Yet, I still like pepperoni and sausage. It's probably just a personal preference of theirs, like their love of pickles. 

Don't feel alone... I hate bacon too. can't stand the smell or taste of it. I tried getting fiance to at turkey bacon with me but he didn't like it.... so no bacon for me and I'll just be out of he room when he's cooking his bacon lol. 

17 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Turkey bacon's cheaper in the US? Here in Canada it's usually comparable to the mid price range pork bacon, and is marketed as the more heart-healthy option.

That being said, I just go for the regular bacon, but I usually get turkey breakfast sausages instead of the pork ones because they're leaner and more flavorful. 

In Canada as well... I've found turkey bacon to be as expensive or more expensive than the regular pork bacon. And it's like there's only two "brands" of Turkey bacon available. Kind of disappointing to be honest.

22 minutes ago, for_the_Kitties said:

But they eat pepperoni pizza all the time from take out places. Pepperoni has pork in it... 

We've seen them with bacon ranch dressing and other pork based products over the years.  I think its just another thing they give lip service to.

On 10/18/2016 at 6:33 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

Derick's voting for a man that cheats on his wife and has sexually assaulted women? That sounds about right. 

What is Joshy running for? :evil-laugh:

On 10/20/2016 at 0:53 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I remember the brilliant but no longer updated Stuff Fundies Like saying that it was common for fundies to support college football teams, while simontaneously denouncing the academic aspect of the school as a den of iniquity.

I figure that it's because they live in a fairly rural area, so the biggest sports teams and associated sports spectating activities nearest to them are college teams. People who live in, say, the Tri-State Area generally aren't going to be giant UCONN/NYU/Rutgers/Princeton/Columbia/whatever fans unless they have a connection to those schools, since why root for those teams when you have a glut of professional teams to root for?

I thought the time they got pepperoni pizza they pointed out that it wasn't made from pork. I believe it was during the episode when they were in DC. I can't comment on the bacon ranch BC I don't recall when they ate it. I will say bacos are kosher because it's smoke flavoring and not real bacon so it's possible that the dressing is the same. 

They don't eat pork due to old testament references about not eating pork.  This is a weird gothardism.  Gothard and his ilk love that old testament, even though it is odd as Christians to give it as much weight as they do.  As to eating bacon or sausage, I think they probably simply don't think too much about what or where those foods come from.  I know they eat turkey bacon at home, but I imagine when they are out and about or eating junk food, they are consuming pork, whether they realize it or not.   

To me it is like when they eat that tex-mex flaming cheese dip that uses alcohol to set flame the dish.  THey justify that it gets burned off, but that doesn't really address their moral opposition to alcohol.  Michelle has protested places that sell alcohol, and yet, Jessa and Ben have posted pictures of that flaming cheese queso fundido, I think  it is called. 

The big thing with the Razorbacks in AR is they are basically the only team in the state. No NHL, NFL, or NBA. You had a fairly even split between the Cowboys and the Rams, etc. But EVERYONE is a Razorbacks fan. I made the mistake of wearing my U of M (Go Blue!) sweatshirt one chilly day in Fayetteville and swore I was gonna get lynched. When you have but one thing people get rabid. But man if I were the Hogs I would not want the Duggars promoting me!

4 hours ago, calimojo said:

Michelle has protested places that sell alcohol, and yet, Jessa and Ben have posted pictures of that flaming cheese queso fundido, I think  it is called. 

How perfect. Ha!

21 hours ago, for_the_Kitties said:

Maybe they're like my former MIL was.  She grew up SDA, and for the most part followed the rules:  No smoking, drinking, or pork.  But the family all had stories of catching her smoke the occasional cigarette.  She enjoyed the occasional wine cooler until someone pointed out they had alcohol in them; until then she had pretended coolers were just fruity pop and that she hadn't read the label.  She was thrilled when she discovered Mike's Hard Lemonade and took care to not drink them very often and only in the company of people who knew better than to point out the alcohol in them.  

The day came when we all decided to order a pizza and she wanted Hawaiian (canadian bacon and pineapple).  I stupidly pointed out that Canadian Bacon was made from pork.  Everyone else groaned and MIL looked pissed, then said we'd have sandwiches instead.  I said that we'd order a cheese pizza and called up the pizza place.  Suddenly I got an idea and asked the person who took my order if their Canadian Bacon was real or was it made from a pork substitute.  The girl seemed confused and said "Yeah, it's the real thing."  and I cheerfully replied "Great!  We'll have a Hawaiian and a pepperoni."  After I hung up, I looked at MIL and said "They use Canadian Bacon made with chicken because it's cheaper.  All the commercial pizza places do it.  Makes me wonder if I've ever had real Canadian Bacon."  MIL knew I was lying, everyone did, but I'd just given her plausible deniability.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:14 PM, devoutjedi said:

My concern is : what do we do with all these people after the election? We can't put the genie back in the bottle, all of this hatred and vitriol is out there now. What do we do with them after it's over? There's no way people just sit down and be quiet/accept the outcome of the election.. so... Where are we supposed to go from here?

Tell them they can build a wall (they're for it) and share their frustrations with each other.

Ok,  Cubs Win.  not on topic of course, but we spent several pages on Football,  so I figure the Cubs winning the Pennant and heading to the world Series is worth a post. 

Life long Cubs fan here.  Hubby and Son at the game tonight. 

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

What a great game for them to attend!

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

Ok,  Cubs Win.  not on topic of course, but we spent several pages on Football,  so I figure the Cubs winning the Pennant and heading to the world Series is worth a post. 

Congrats! Seems like a pretty fantastic game for them to go to. :pb_biggrin:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived