IGNORED

The Willis Family: Rape Charges Part 2

samurai_sarah

Unethical and/or immoral legal tactics aside (e.g., victim blaming/shaming in rape and molestation cases), there is an excellent scene in the movie Reversal of Fortune addressing the need in a free and democratic society for *everybody* to have defense counsel, regardless of how guilty they seem to be.  Ron Silver plays Alan Dershowitz (I know, I know), and at one point a law student asks how on earth Dershowitz could possibly defend someone who was so obviously guilty of a horrible crime.  Dershowitz explains that there are two very good reasons (apart from the fact that the Constitution says so).  First, anyone, no matter how guilty, deserves effective assistance of counsel because INEFFECTIVE assistance of counsel can lead to bad judicial precedent.  A crappy lawyer (or no lawyer at all) means that certain types of evidence don't get challenged.  Proper objections aren't made. And that can become precedent for future cases where defendants ARE innocent.  Second, it is a very, very slippery slope to say that one group or category of accused persons are undeserving of effective assistance of counsel.  That line starts to move A LOT, and in time, the most vulnerable groups (minorities and the poor) suffer the consequences of increasing moves to deny certain groups of people ineffective assistance of counsel.  If we won't stand up and fight for the guiltiest individuals' right to a competent defense, then in time, the people with the least amount of representation and the voices that are silenced most easily will pay the price.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

That fan though...

Laaaawwww have mercy. And did the Judge have an almost-mullet?!

This however

The TBI had been investigating Willis, 46, since late August on suspicion that he had raped a 9- to 10-year-old girl approximately 12 years ago.

ist new, right? Or is it questionable/false information once again?

I think this is the same basic info from the charging docs that was previously released. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

7 hours ago, Eve said:

I think this is the same basic info from the charging docs that was previously released. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

You're correct.

The info from the start was that it happened about 12 years ago.

Shortly after the narrow(er) victim age range came out (though most then removed it b/c that made the list of possible victims extremely, extremely narrow once it also came out that it was a relative).

So nothing new about the info unless there's anything else in the newer stuff (I've not read it personally so am going on just the same portion you're responding to from the other poster)

Ok, thanks, I didn't know this has been released and scratched before. It's the first time I saw this age span, what I saw before was 9-12. This is so absolutely horrible.

It seems Lily and Ellie have now shut down their Willis family blog to invited readers only. I looked a while ago when the news broke and the blog was still public then. Apparently I am not an invited reader :-)

I like her play on words with "bard craft". Isn't she the one who writes a lot of songs for the family or herself?

Please remember that FreeJinger does not allow speculation on the victims of sexual assault. This is a hard and fast rule that will result in posting restrictions for violators. 

Sorry!  I had a total brain fart, I know better. Won't happen again. 

To have a parent accused of such an awful crime and your life turned upside down, I truly feel for the kids. I hope they get all the support they need to deal with this. I hope too, the kids all start to spread their wings and follow their passions and not their parents. I  was never convinced all the kids wanted to perform. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jair and Jenny appear to have started their own dance lessons, they even have a Facebook page. Probably not the best idea to put ways to contact them on the internet at this point in time but good for them for starting their own business venture. 

tumblr_ofttjle7gF1vppyf9o1_1280.png

Seems like they have given up on the band for now...

Good for them. I was rooting for Jenny to start college since she wanted to become a vet but I guess that would have been to big of a stretch... 

I bet all the kids are struggling, they literally went from a career to nothing. Now that essentially their life concept has failed, maybe Brenda will send the younger ones to school to learn some normality.

Jedi has said in an episode that he would love to make it to the olympics as a wrestler but will sacrifice that dream for the band. Maybe his time will come.

15 hours ago, faraway said:

Good for them. I was rooting for Jenny to start college since she wanted to become a vet but I guess that would have been to big of a stretch... 

I bet all the kids are struggling, they literally went from a career to nothing. Now that essentially their life concept has failed, maybe Brenda will send the younger ones to school to learn some normality.

Jedi has said in an episode that he would love to make it to the olympics as a wrestler but will sacrifice that dream for the band. Maybe his time will come.

The kids have talent and did great together as a band, but now they get a chance to find out what their own interests and strengths are beyond the family band.
I highly doubt that every kid felt like performing all the time. And Jenny and some of the others probably did put a lot of their interests and passions on the back burner for the sake of the band and tour dates, etc.

Wasn't Toby supposed to go to court earlier this month?  I've been checking around and can't find anything.  Anyone more savvy than me and know anything?

1 hour ago, SweetLaurel said:

Wasn't Toby supposed to go to court earlier this month?  I've been checking around and can't find anything.  Anyone more savvy than me and know anything?

It was supposed to be 11/2 but the hearing was postponed until the end of November as the court was closed due to the death of a judge.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/cheatham/2016/11/02/toby-willis-prelim/93159094/

Oh, thank you.  The only thing I could find was the postponement to 11/2 and nothing after.  Hopefully the family is starting to figure things out.   Weren't they living in the RV when this all happened? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • DaisyD locked this topic

Archived