Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Terrie

What is so much modern furniture so dang ugly?

Recommended Posts

Terrie

It took me looking at probably at over 100 coffee tables to find even 1 that I wasn't repulsed by. Probably around 300 before I found one that actually works for my living room. Shocking enough, many people live in older homes and the industrial style stuff doesn't really look quite right in a home built in the early 1920's. I suspect there are a lot of vintage stores in my future.

 

ETA: And in the catagory of "Who the hell would want that in their living room?" 

http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-Coffee-Table-CST17680-L441-K~CST17680.html?refid=GX103455985243-CST17680&device=c&ptid=152900546654&gclid=CPSukYzjm88CFYM9gQodSZIDlA

 

Edited by Terrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
catlady

I agree with you on the coffee table.  those wheels look like a trip hazard and broken toes waiting to happen.  I do like that it has a lower shelf, but the design will work with very few styles.

right now, I'm trying to find a 27"-high end table that is not big/bulky/fugly.  my house was built in 1939, and we have rather ordinary furniture.  I need to replace a very wobbly pedestal table.  it's as high as the windowsill and is next to the dog bed, and I'd like something similar, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a replacement.  I keep a lamp on it, which looks dumb if it's too low against the window, and with the dog bed nearby, a new one can't take too much floor space.  I've been looking for about a month, and haven't yet found anything I like that fits my budget.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Enraged
47of74
1 hour ago, catlady said:

I agree with you on the coffee table.  those wheels look like a trip hazard and broken toes waiting to happen.  I do like that it has a lower shelf, but the design will work with very few styles.

right now, I'm trying to find a 27"-high end table that is not big/bulky/fugly.  my house was built in 1939, and we have rather ordinary furniture.  I need to replace a very wobbly pedestal table.  it's as high as the windowsill and is next to the dog bed, and I'd like something similar, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a replacement.  I keep a lamp on it, which looks dumb if it's too low against the window, and with the dog bed nearby, a new one can't take too much floor space.  I've been looking for about a month, and haven't yet found anything I like that fits my budget.

 

Yeah.  Uh, no.  The big turn off are those wheels there.  I could see someone tripping over that or stubbing a toe on that wheel.  I know I'd never get one of those.  Even if I was not for $240.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terrie

Thankfully, my budget isn't super tight, but even the table I like is a few inches longer than I really wanted. But it's the balance of "Well, I can cave and get the less than perfect table, or wait a better one. Do I really want to look at 300 more tables?"

 

Here's what I'm thinking of: http://www.foagroup.com/estell.html

Edited by Terrie
Adding link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
catlady
43 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Thankfully, my budget isn't super tight, but even the table I like is a few inches longer than I really wanted. But it's the balance of "Well, I can cave and get the less than perfect table, or wait a better one. Do I really want to look at 300 more tables?"

 

Here's what I'm thinking of: http://www.foagroup.com/estell.html

Now this one, I really like.  can you find someone with the carpentry skills and tools to make one for you?  then you can get the size, wood, and finish exactly to your preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terrie
2 minutes ago, catlady said:

Now this one, I really like.  can you find someone with the carpentry skills and tools to make one for you?  then you can get the size, wood, and finish exactly to your preference.

Not sure if I can do so cost-effectively, but certainly worth looking into. May also try laying out a pice of cardboard of the same dimensions to see how much space it would actually tak up. Hard to tell with a measuring tape, you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bethella
16 hours ago, Terrie said:

It took me looking at probably at over 100 coffee tables to find even 1 that I wasn't repulsed by. Probably around 300 before I found one that actually works for my living room. Shocking enough, many people live in older homes and the industrial style stuff doesn't really look quite right in a home built in the early 1920's. I suspect there are a lot of vintage stores in my future.

 

ETA: And in the catagory of "Who the hell would want that in their living room?" 

http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-Coffee-Table-CST17680-L441-K~CST17680.html?refid=GX103455985243-CST17680&device=c&ptid=152900546654&gclid=CPSukYzjm88CFYM9gQodSZIDlA

 

I know some steampunkers who would like it ;) The wheels would go with the other gears and such they already have in their living room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terrie
On 9/20/2016 at 3:39 AM, Bethella said:

I know some steampunkers who would like it ;) The wheels would go with the other gears and such they already have in their living room. 

To me, looks less steampunk and more pseudo-Western. I could see a few people moding it into something more steampunk, but most of them could build something better from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.