IGNORED

Strange new find - The Peculiar Princess More Messianic Judaism

raised in rebellion

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like it might be time for the general "Just because someone says they are related to/know/grew up with a Fundy, doesn't mean it's true" warning....  I may have sprained my eyebrows, reading the way this thread has gone. 

7 hours ago, RosaLuxcyborg said:

Beta Israel!

I took a class on on diaspora Jews and I've forgotten almost everything about them except that tradition says they come from the tribe of Dan. 

Yep! Ethiopia is a seriously fascinating country religiously. In addition to the Jewish community, which is really interesting to read about (I'd heard of it before, but I hadn't really researched it until recently), I don't think a lot of people realize that Ethiopia was one of the first Christian countries in the world. A lot of Ethiopians probably have a family history of Christianity that's much longer than my European Christian genealogy. Visiting the amazing rock-hewn churches in Lalibela has been a goal of mine for a long time. Interestingly, the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox churches are the only Christians, and Beta Israel the only Jews (which I only just learned), who accept the book of Enoch and the book of Jubilees as canon, plus Ethiopian Orthodoxy is also the only church with the books of I, II, and III Meqabyan.

And non-religiously, Ethiopia is the only African country not to have been colonized, though they were occupied by the Italians for a few years in the 20th century.

This really has nothing to do with the original topic anymore, I just think Ethiopia is a really interesting country!

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

that would be thoughtful if they weren't so defrauding in other ways.  Hide knees all they want, but nothing but scandalous elbows and shoulders the world to see...

Nike!

image.jpeg

That's okay...I play enough for all of us...but I don't have a Snorlax yet.

I caught one Sunday. He was on my street! 

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Yep! Ethiopia is a seriously fascinating country religiously. In addition to the Jewish community, which is really interesting to read about (I'd heard of it before, but I hadn't really researched it until recently), I don't think a lot of people realize that Ethiopia was one of the first Christian countries in the world....

I've always been fascinated by the connection of reggae music/Rastafarianism with Ethiopia as Zion, but in a casual way.  I just found this article, A Study of Ethiopianism in Rastafarianism with a Focus on the Concept Of Ethiopia as Zion, that goes into more detail about how Rastafrianism arose in Jamaica in the 1930s. 

Perhaps one of the most amazing and significant events in the history of both Ethiopianism and the Garvey movement came fourteen years after Garvey uttered the words, "Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King; he shall be the Redeemer" (Barrett 81). It was fourteen years later, in November of 1930, that Garvey’s prophecy came true when Ras Tafari, descendant of the biblical King Solomon, was crowned the Black King of Ethiopia. One Rastafarian describes the event by observing, "The news of a black regent claiming descent through the biblical lineage of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, stirred the imaginations of an entire generation of African Americans and refocused attention upon ancient Ethiopia" (Dread History). Finally, just as Garvey had promised, a Black man had become King. And not just King of anything, but King of Ethiopia, the oldest, and at one time the most powerful, throne on earth.

Interestingly, the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox churches are the only Christians, and Beta Israel the only Jews (which I only just learned), who accept the book of Enoch and the book of Jubilees as canon, plus Ethiopian Orthodoxy is also the only church with the books of I, II, and III Meqabyan.

Thanks for your interesting post. I'm going to check this out. 

9 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Penguins: When Your Skin Is WholesomeWear!

Wait... Penguins are animal fundies?! This is a disturbing revelation!

Yep! Ethiopia is a seriously fascinating country religiously. In addition to the Jewish community, which is really interesting to read about (I'd heard of it before, but I hadn't really researched it until recently), I don't think a lot of people realize that Ethiopia was one of the first Christian countries in the world. A lot of Ethiopians probably have a family history of Christianity that's much longer than my European Christian genealogy. Visiting the amazing rock-hewn churches in Lalibela has been a goal of mine for a long time. Interestingly, the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox churches are the only Christians, and Beta Israel the only Jews (which I only just learned), who accept the book of Enoch and the book of Jubilees as canon, plus Ethiopian Orthodoxy is also the only church with the books of I, II, and III Meqabyan.

And non-religiously, Ethiopia is the only African country not to have been colonized, though they were occupied by the Italians for a few years in the 20th century.

This really has nothing to do with the original topic anymore, I just think Ethiopia is a really interesting country!

Thank you for bringing this up. I never knew any of this. Looks like a good rabbit hole to explore.

I don't think a lot of people realize that Ethiopia was one of the first Christian countries in the world. A lot of Ethiopians probably have a family history of Christianity that's much longer than my European Christian genealogy.

Absolutely.  It is a fascinating country with a rich history and culture.  There is also a long-standing belief that the Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia carefully guarded by monks in a small chapel in Axum.  More information on that and Ethiopia's long history of both Judaism and Christianity here:  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/keepers-of-the-lost-ark-179998820/?no-ist

And also here:  https://sacredsites.com/africa/ethiopia/sacred_sites_ethiopia.html

@Howl.   A bit more info on the development of Rastafari - Haile Selassi (Ras Tafari) wasn't very keen at all about being worshiped by all accounts, but he did give land to the Rastafarians in Ethiopia and there is an active Rasta community in Shashamane to this day.  

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/politics/2014/02/shashemane-ethiopia-rastafarian-utopia

12 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Hmmm. I am getting a strange sense of déjà vu (déjà lu?!) with the writing style here. 

Is it ok to ask what this comment refers to?  I haven't been around FJ very long and am interested. My apologies in advance if it's not ok.

17 minutes ago, justwatching said:

Is it ok to ask what this comment refers to?  I haven't been around FJ very long and am interested. My apologies in advance if it's not ok.

There have been incidents here before, where someone claimed to be someone. Members tend to be a tad suspicious. If you use the search function to search for "Razing Ruth", you'll see one such instance. Some FJers believed her, but she turned out to be a scammer. A scammer, who used the kind hearts of some FJers against them for financial gain.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

All this talk of Ethiopia makes me wonder what Kidist is up to. Also, my phone just corrected Kidist to nudist! :pb_lol:

Oh, noes!  Don't mention Voldemort  Kidist!  She hasn't updated much on FB recently but I'm sure she is still wandering around Toronto muttering to herself and making everyone, especially Asian-Canadians, miserable.  She is a very sick lady, IMO.  I've never been able to snark on her and she is not representative of Ethiopians at all.

Spoiler

Actually I've got a lot of old photographs from Ethiopia digitalized now, including my "suck it, Kidist!" ones.  Me as a very small child curtsying and (by the look of the photo) apparently attempting to shove a bouquet of flowers up Emperor Haile Selassie's nose.  Poor man. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, noes!  Don't mention Voldemort  Kidist!  She hasn't updated much on FB recently but I'm sure she is still wandering around Toronto muttering to herself and making everyone, especially Asian-Canadians, miserable.  She is a very sick lady, IMO.  I've never been able to snark on her and she is not representative of Ethiopians at all.

Hide contents

Actually I've got a lot of old photographs from Ethiopia digitalized now, including my "suck it, Kidist!" ones.  Me as a very small child curtsying and (by the look of the photo) apparently attempting to shove a bouquet of flowers up Emperor Haile Selassie's nose.  Poor man. :lol:

I know she's in no way representative of the fine people of Ethiopia, and I agree she's completely sick in the head. I've never been able to look away from the train wreck though!

1 minute ago, ladyamylynn said:

I know she's in no way representative of the fine people of Ethiopia, and I agree she's completely sick in the head. I've never been able to look away from the train wreck though!

She makes me cringe!  

10 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I caught one Sunday. He was on my street! 

It took me a minute to realize you meant a snorlax and not a penguin (ora penguin in formal wear). The pain meds are obviously working!

2 hours ago, Curious said:

It took me a minute to realize you meant a snorlax and not a penguin (ora penguin in formal wear). The pain meds are obviously working!

My son believes a Snorlax is a penguin evolution, so either way you would be right. Glad those meds are working. I hope you sleep deeply and soundly, and heal quickly.

@raised in rebellion just a thought, but maybe you could do an AMA thread, as I'm sure you have lots of interesting tidbits to share, and then that would be a separate thread to this one where it is very clear that the Princess is your mother :)

13 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

@raised in rebellion just a thought, but maybe you could do an AMA thread, as I'm sure you have lots of interesting tidbits to share, and then that would be a separate thread to this one where it is very clear that the Princess is your mother :)

That's a good idea.

5 hours ago, bal maiden said:

I'm obtuse, and the search returned zero results. ;-( I don't know what an AMA account is? Please advise. Thx!

8 hours ago, raised in rebellion said:

I'm obtuse, and the search returned zero results. ;-( I don't know what an AMA account is? Please advise. Thx!

That's because you have less than 75 posts, and can't view AYTFJ yet. 

An AMA, in the style of Reddit, is an ask-me-anything thread. Users are proposing you set one up so that you can be asked questions about your situation. I would suggest reading online about what it is like to conduct an AMA. If you felt uncomfortable by some of the scrutiny here, you may not like doing an AMA. 

If this is something decide you want to do, you would need to reach out to the mod team beforehand to have your identity verified in this situation. You have quite a few posts until you have access to that section of the forum, so it's a while to think about it. 

58 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

That's because you have less than 75 posts, and can't view AYTFJ yet. 

An AMA, in the style of Reddit, is an ask-me-anything thread. Users are proposing you set one up so that you can be asked questions about your situation. I would suggest reading online about what it is like to conduct an AMA. If you felt uncomfortable by some of the scrutiny here, you may not like doing an AMA. 

If this is something decide you want to do, you would need to reach out to the mod team beforehand to have your identity verified in this situation. You have quite a few posts until you have access to that section of the forum, so it's a while to think about it. 

Co-signing the above post by the lovely and informative FF.  

Just as an FYI people can do AMA's anonymously as sometimes they don't want very personal info attached to their regular user name.  So we do allow a creation of an alter ego account for those who want them, which would only be used for the AMA.  

I will do that when my post count is high enough. I've had my ass served to me all week at work, so I'm just catching up in fundyland.

Thank you for the suggestion! 

On 21/09/2016 at 2:41 PM, Palimpsest said:

@Howl.   A bit more info on the development of Rastafari - Haile Selassi (Ras Tafari) wasn't very keen at all about being worshiped by all accounts, but he did give land to the Rastafarians in Ethiopia and there is an active Rasta community in Shashamane to this day.  

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/politics/2014/02/shashemane-ethiopia-rastafarian-utopia

wait wait wait..... Haile Selassi is Ras Tafari????? How did i never know that?

On 21/09/2016 at 11:42 AM, Rachel333 said:

Do you have any books recommendations? I've seen the article links further down the page, but wondered if there were any books you'd recommend also?

Archived