IGNORED

The Stinking Housewife vs. Wedding Dresses

ThisOlGirl

I know of a couple of virgins who spent the day before their wedding flipping through a sex manual and deciding what they wanted to try first. I don't know if they actually made it down their list or not, but they had fun.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom's wedding dress was a 1974 monstrosity. That would've been hideous. But even if I'd wanted to be hideous on my wedding day, there was the little problem of me being EIGHT INCHES TALLER than my mother, a good deal thinner, and a whole hell of a lot more boobage. Yeah, that dress wasn't happening, and the Stinking Lousewife is a moron, as usual.

I wore my mom's wedding dress once. As a Halloween costume, when I was in 7th grade. It was 2 inches too short and barely zipped up over my (then) size b/c cups. Besides the length issue, and the fact that I'm now a DD, there is the fact that it was designed in 1977; it has a lace TURTLENECK and it's sort of a weird, offwhite cream colour that I personally think is hideous. And it itches and the sleeves were too short as well. It was a pretty nice zombie bride costume in 1994, though.

Meredith got her dress at a thrift store for $30 or thereabouts several years before she actually married Steve. It actually was beautiful.

Nell

I did something better and more frugally than Meredith? Mine was $18 bucks, and was a 1930s fully beaded pale green silk sheath. I look awful in white.

There was no cake smashing; we had just adopted our daughter, and, as grown ups, wanted to set a good example for our toddler. Oh, wait, Meredith is still better than I- her baby came 9 months after her wedding, our daughter came to us weeks before our wedding.

The Stinkin' Fishwife is so absurd! Sometimes I wonder if she is a pimply 24 year old boy sitting in his mother's basement writing an over the top spoof of his mother, but that is just me. Or maybe it is just hope that she couldn't be real.

Most woman ,even those who hate other women, realize that women come in more shapes and sizes than just waif and obese. Most men know this too, but the misogynistic ones are good at putting women into boxes.

There must be a fitting metaphor here - putting your wedding dress in storage vs. trashing it, valuing your wife as she is vs. ignoring her personhood...

I can't wear my mom's wedding dress because I'm a completely different size and shape than she was. No amount of tailoring could make both of us fit into the same dress. It would be easier and cheaper to just make a new one. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this same issue.

This.

Kelly is such a nosy bitch. She doesn't even know anyone doing these things, but she's ready to criticise, as always!

I'd LOVE to get married in a vintage dress. However, my mother was much taller and broader than me and the style/colour wouldn't suit me. I don't want a $5000 Vera Wang pickup marshmallow dress, but I will defend the right of anyone who wants one to have it!

She doesn't see the irony in bad-mouthing women for obsessing over expensive weddings/dresses/receptions and then, in the same breath, declaring that ruining a dress is basically heresy? Which is it, Kelly?

She runs her mouth so often and so hard that she doesn't recognise that she spews 100% grade-A bullshit.

I don't see how trashing a dress is any more wasteful than keeping the dress in a box or in a closet forever. The point of having white wedding dresses in the first place is to only get one use out of them. If you find that wasteful, then don't spend a lot of money on a wedding dress. Paying to have it put into a display box to keep forever doesn't suddenly make you less wasteful than trashing the dress.

I don't think it's any more wasteful to trash the dress. What I don't like is how something that was meant to just be silly and fun is now a photo shoot that costs extra $$$. Another way for the wedding-industrial complex to milk more money out of brides.

Nevermind the fact that my mother and father eloped and had a courthouse wedding, but I was also 3 inches taller, 4 bra cup sizes larger, and oh yeah, 7 months pregnant on my wedding day... I don't think borrowing anything of my mother's would have worked too well.

I can only imagine what the Stinking Housewife's wedding was like. It probably made the Smuggar wedding look like a Roman orgy.

Eww thanks for the visual. But I do have a feeling the Stinking Lousewife has an ice chip where her clit should be. And I wouldn't be surprised if her husband spends a lot of time at the office, if you know what I mean.

And I'm not surprised about her rude remarks about a woman's looks. Fundies seem to be obsessed with women's looks. And it just isn't the fatties or the plain women who invite their vitriol. I've seen some rather rude comments aimed at women who are attractive, calling them promiscuous, narcissistic, etc. But then again, nothing says "Traditional Christianity" like talking about your tits.

http://traditionalchristianity.wordpres ... -comeback/

On-topic: The Stinking Housewife just sucks the joy and fun out of life. Now trashing a wedding dress isn't something I would do but I hardly think it's worthy getting one's knickers in a knot.

Ooh, and I think this vintage Ossie Clark would make an awesome wedding dress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonwrap/4624701689/

The Stinkin' Housewife would get REALLY pissy then at my mom: married at age 24 in 1979, and she wore a tea-length peach silk gown! She had been living with my dad for three and half years at that point, and, in her words, "who were we fooling!?" She also didn't get walked down the aisle by her father (partially for feminist reasons and partially because he kinda flaked on her in her childhood after her parents divorced), and my parents had a hippie guitarist for musical accompaniment. And they've been married for 32 years.

Oh, and TSH, I couldn't wear my mother's dress if I tried! My mom is six feet tall with a 38C chest. I am 5'6" with a 34DD chest and a Kim Kardashian butt. Also, I look shitty in peach. Fuck you, I want my own clothes, that fit and reflect MY style.

If I ever get married, I want to get married in some tone of pink, and walk down the aisle hand in hand with my husband, in the Swedish tradition. This is an improvement over what I said when I was eight, when I insisted that big white wedding dresses were stupid and unfeminist and that I was going to get married in jeans and a sweater.

And I'll have an open bar at my wedding. Reisling for all, I say!

I wouldn't have been able to wear my mother's wedding dress either--although it was beautiful and totally my style. I had bigger boobs than my mother (much, much, much bigger) and it never would have fit. There was no way to alter the dress/materials to let it out in the chest and still have it look decent.

How is it vandalism to decide what to do with your own property? That makes NO sense.

My mom's wedding dress was very hippie, like this:

http://weddinggownssquare.com/wp-conten ... ress-2.jpg

I would have loved to wear it for my own wedding, which was in October so I needed long sleeves (and I also never liked strapless dresses). It would probably have fit me, maybe with a simple alteration to the hem as I am shorter than her. But she didn't keep it. :(

I no longer have my wedding clothes either, which were separates (cream-colored skirt, shirt and faux-fur-trimmed cardigan) from a regular store, but even if I had a "real" wedding dress, I wouldn't trash it. I would either keep the dress to show my kids, or donate it to a thrift store to give someone with less money the chance to have a wedding dress. However, I don't think the ones who choose to trash their dresses are inappropriate or don't view their marriage as sacred. They are simply having fun, following a trend, whatever, it's their choice and who am I to judge?

Only went to weddings where the couple had been together for 10+ years, and some already had school-age kids, but if I ever go to a wedding where the couple are most likely virgins, I would never imagine them having sex! This is very creepy. TH probably hasn't had sex since the 20th century.

Oh, and the whole "bride has already lost her virginity so she's seeking a new thrill" theory has already appeared in the book One perfect day: the selling of the American wedding, by total-opposite-of-fundie New Yorker columnist Rebecca Mead. Basically, she says that since most new brides have already been through the traumas that came with getting married in the old days (loosing your virginity, living on your own for the first time), staging a big expensive wedding has become the "invented trauma". I don't know if the author came up with it or not, but TH certainly didn't.

I would have worn my mom's gown, but it was damaged beyond repair in a house fire that burned my dad. It was a beautiful Gunne Sax gown that was actually a soft fabric. I remember touching it. Flowy, high-necked and long-sleeved but delicate lace. It was really pretty. I've been scouring ebay for years hoping to find another.

Archived