IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 4

samurai_sarah

Women who cover in the name of the Christianity are pompous bitches who do it to tell everyone else how special and important they are; how more perfectly Christian they are and how they know what the bible means better than anyone else, ever.

*see Candy for an example*

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Women who cover in the name of the Christianity are pompous bitches who do it to tell everyone else how special and important they are; how more perfectly Christian they are and how they know what the bible means better than anyone else, ever.

I'm going to disagree with this. I have a fundie quiverful-ish friend who covers because she is convicted that it is what God wants from her. She used to get rather prideful about her hair, and she views it as a constant reminder about keeping her pride in check. She doesn't think that other women necessarily need that reminder. She has five daughters. She has explained to them why this is her belief for her, and she has encouraged her daughters to make a decision for themselves. Two of the teen girls cover, one doesn't because of some medical issues that hair covering would interfere with, one doesn't cover but has long hair and wears skirts like her mom, and the other (who married young and had a baby right away) doesn't cover and in fact has short purple hair. 

My friend truly does view covering as a personal thing for herself and does not judge anyone for having different convictions.

That said, there are definitely some Christian women who cover, wear skirts, or whatever and use it as a source of pride and self-importance. However, not all do.

The word 'convicted' is, to me, a ploy. 

I am convicted that religion is a man made form of control and the bible is an oft translated, interpreted book of words people use to justify shit and avoid reality. 

I am also convicted that the trappings of religion prevent people from reaching their fullest potential. 

It excuses them from doing what they are capable of but don't want. 

Basically, being 'convicted' is a cop out and I don't buy it. No matter what someone claims their intentions to be. 

If using that word to describe your choices is acceptable, I am convicted to be a decent human being and never, ever hide behind or use an imaginary deity or religion to explain or justify my actions and / or choices.

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

The word 'convicted' is, to me, a ploy. 

I am convicted that religion is a man made form of control and the bible is an oft translated, interpreted book of words people use to justify shit and avoid reality. 

I am also convicted that the trappings of religion prevent people from reaching their fullest potential. 

It excuses them from doing what they are capable of but don't want. 

Basically, being 'convicted' is a cop out and I don't buy it. No matter what someone claims their intentions to be. 

If using that word to describe your choices is acceptable, I am convicted to be a decent human being and never, ever hide behind or use an imaginary deity or religion to explain or justify my actions and / or choices.

I applaud your choices!  I'm acquainted with people who've used their religious convictions to push themselves beyond their innate comfort zones and achieve much good in service to others. 

Why don't you say something about it like it's pictures from the lastest some may say a vacation?

While many or most of us might find doing the same thing every year boring, for the most part they do seem to be enjoying themselves.

It looks like Mary is wearing leggings under her skirt in the spike ball picture.  Is that the first time she's been pictured wearing leggings?  Seems like it.

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Why don't you say something about it like Pictures

ures from the lastest some mismay say a vacation?

While many or most of us might find doing the same thing every year boring, for the most part they do seem to be enjoying themselves.

Smug taught Calia how to high five, they all sang around the campfire and mist likely scared the wildkLife, and Smug took Poor, Goofy, and Scary's picture.

Actually the wildlife thought the singing were mating calls, especially Goofy and Smug's.

I would be fine doing the same thing every year if it's something I enjoy. I go to vegas around the same time every year and I love it. If I enjoyed camping (never gone before so don't know if I would like it) I would probably prefer to do it at the same place every year but I prefer routine. I am also of the belief that the Maxwells likely own the cabin but just say it's rented. Otherwise I don't see how it is always available just when they need it.

It's obvious that they enjoy going to Colorado, it's ridiculous that they can't just say they have fun there. They probably look forward to it every year just because it's something different than cleaning ceiling fans.

The Maxwell's can't say they have fun doing anything.  For whatever reason Steve instilled in them the only fun they can have is reading the Bible and going to church. 

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

The Maxwell's can't say they have fun doing anything.  For whatever reason Steve instilled in them the only fun they can have is reading the Bible and going to church. 

Is that why both comments mention fun? FJ'ers, are you there??? Hee. 

See, if I were at that campsite I'd be drawing the trees -- look at the ranges of the color green! -- but I imagine that such borders on "graven images." S. Mary is allowed to do her hand-lettering because Scripture verses and birthday greetings to  FAMILY members. 

No artistic expression allowed. Even to honor God's creation. 

Pity. 

12 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I'm sure that's true for someone, but certainly not every woman who covers.  Personally, I cover in corporate worship because that is where my (and my husband's) study of the passage led me. The women in my church have pretty varying opinions on the text and I'd say roughly a third of us wear a covering. To the best of my knowledge none of us judge each other over it. It's a practice that was extremely hard for me to initiate because I hate drawing attention to myself and I didn't want anyone to think I had gone weird or would suddenly be judging them for not making the same choice. In fact, no one outside of my inner circle of friends knows about it. It's rather disheartening to be pronounced a pompous, self-righteous bitch because of something I do which has nothing to do with you or anyone else, besides my husband and my God. 

Was it the Colorado trip where people were speculating on Elissa, Joseph and Calia's absence? Because the new post explicitly calls them out by name :D

12 hours ago, molecule said:

She used to get rather prideful about her hair

And what's wrong with it? If I believe (and I don't) in a Creator God who knitted me in my mother's womb to make me exactly what I am, shouldn't I see my beautiful hair as a marvellous gift bestowed upon me by said God? Shouldn't I have to be happy and proud and grateful for my God's gifts? Sorry but covering hair "to keep pride in check" in a time and era when this is going to be more attention drabbing than sporting purple hair (or just cut it short if the pride is such a problem, oh sorry I forgot that short hair are only for men, then I can't really understand why Jesus is always pictured with long hair, but I really shouldn't try to be logical if I want to understand fundies) sounds like typical fundie self flagellation for minor infractions that are terrible SINS, all the while humble bragging about the lengths they are willing to go to be oh so godly (and possibly godlier than thou, but you said your friend isn't that type of person).

And since we are at it. Why they don't hide/cover/keep modest about spiritual gifts/grace as well? Oh yes, body/flesh=sin, nothing about the body in its natural state is a sign of God's grace. This is the old ridiculous dichotomy between body and soul where body's value is so much lower than the soul's, the body is so sinful that you need to chastise it through purity and modesty. The body is linked to all the worst sins in fundieland. So much so that we needed to create the concept of soul (or better to borrow it from Aristotle's formulation) to have something of our beings deserving to be saved and where we can find our identity as far as possible from that pesky sinful body. Christianity makes the relationship with your own body so fucking problematic that it's mind blowing that so called Christians can find the time to bash Muslims for how their religion treats the concept of body. Or how  they can bona fide criticise "the world"/"modern society"/"youths" for the role and the representation of the body, without ever bothering to inquire the ties of body related problems in our society with the concept of body in the Western World for how it is derived from Christian culture. 

tHappy Birthday Forgotten!  You love the Lord Jesus and we can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you this year.  Love Dad, Mom, Poor, Stud, Goofy, and Scary.

I haven't been keeping up with the Maxwells for a while, so forgive me if this has been discussed to death recently.

Do I have my math correct that Sarah will be 35 in January? Has there been any word of a suitor for her? 

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I haven't been keeping up with the Maxwells for a while, so forgive me if this has been discussed to death recently.

Do I have my math correct that Sarah will be 35 in January? Has there been any word of a suitor for her? 

Yes, you do, she will be 35. No, there hasn't :-(

On 9/16/2016 at 4:02 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Judging by the recent pics of Abby, Melanie shops at Target.  I guess she does not know about the bathrooms.

What you don't know can't offend you!

17 hours ago, SPHASH said:

tHappy Birthday Forgotten!  You love the Lord Jesus and we can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you this year.  Love Dad, Mom, Poor, Stud, Goofy, and Scary.

Jesus. They're about as bad at describing their kids as the Duggars. Given a choice, though, I'd sure as hell prefer to be Joy Duggar than Mary Maxwell. Or even Jana over Sarah. 

Snort-laughing at the nicknames. 

On 9/17/2016 at 1:02 PM, fundiefan said:

You know, you can express your opinion about the religious convictions of others without calling every nun on the planet, and every Mennonite and Amish woman on the planet, a "pompous bitch."

And your argument might be a bit more effective that way. And who knows? It might help with your quest, in your words, "to be a decent human being."

On 9/17/2016 at 1:02 PM, fundiefan said:

How did I know you were thinking of Candy?

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

You know, you can express your opinion about the religious convictions of others without calling every nun on the planet, and every Mennonite and Amish woman on the planet, a "pompous bitch."

And your argument might be a bit more effective that way. And who knows? It might help with your quest, in your words, "to be a decent human being."

Well, I guess you told me.

Lets hope Ed's sausage didn't explode like Mr Delome's did :my_dodgy:

Ed says:

September 17, 2016 at 6:36 pm

What blessed family pictures.

We too love camping it around a fire and warming up a sausage or two.

Glad you all had a great time.

Ed

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived