IGNORED

More Info on Doug Wilson, Pedophile Enabler

bea

42 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm familiar with Toby Sumpter--the pastor of Trinity Reformed Church, a CREC "sister church" also in Moscow, ID.  There's a story about how that came about, but can't remember it at the moment.  Is Jesse Sumpter Toby's son?  He's deep into Christ Church and a this is about what you'd expect: 

Jesse  and Toby Sumpter are brothers.

• Thank You 2

On 4/28/2021 at 4:15 PM, forgetmenow said:

Ok, have we discussed this abomination?  Must watch video under the spoiler, but be cautious if you have high blood pressure.

Hide contents

Apparently it was founded by the guy who Tweeted this (under  spoiler).

Hide contents

image.png.15bc01e12ecdd8e831c14ec253e2be34.png

I don't know who all the players are, but this reeks of Doug Wilson and his ilk.

What is "black break?" Thoroughly a new one for me.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

What is "black break?" Thoroughly a new one for me.

I had never heard the expression before, but I assumed it was meant as a pejorative term for Spring Break for young adults who go to historically Black colleges/universities.  Considering the source, I think it was unabashedly racist.

Edited by forgetmenow
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, forgetmenow said:

I had never heard the expression before, but I assumed it was meant as a pejorative term for Spring Break for young adults who go to historically Black colleges/universities.  Considering the source, I think it was unabashedly racist.

That would track. Thank you. Good gosh, it would have to be terribly loud for me to give up a hotel room for an overnitr in my car on rest area (?) parking lot!  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

That would track. Thank you. Good gosh, it would have to be terribly loud for me to give up a hotel room for an overnitr in my car on rest area (?) parking lot!  

To be honest, I don't think that the possibility of high noise levels were the main concern in cancelling their reservation.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, forgetmenow said:

To be honest, I don't think that the possibility of high noise levels were the main concern in cancelling their reservation.

I'm sure sleeping in their car at a truck stop was so much safer ?

Of all the things that didn't happen, this didn't happen the hardest. Not many people "pass through" Biloxi. Not safe at Black Break? There are the usual spring break dangers of alcohol poisoning or getting roofied, but I doubt his 70-yr-old parents planned on partying. A hotel manager would never say that people won't be safe in his hotel.

Finally, Biloxi is only 30 minutes from Gulfport and 90 minutes from New Orleans, they could easily have found another hotel quite close by. 

• Upvote 11

• 2 weeks later...

The pastor of a SDA Church in Troy, ID interviewed a Wilson cult survivor. She & her family moved from MI to ID to join the cult in 1998. It's quite interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

If 'cancel culture' worked like these sorts of people claimed, that IGTBAM podcast wouldn't exist.  (which would be for the best, yikes!)

• Upvote 6

I wasn't clear if this woman was a member of Pastor Kevin's congregation but presumably she is. Her recounting having a male student tell her to sit down during her essay  presentation at a Logos School, and that student not being challenged by the teacher tells you everything you never wanted to know about all things Doug Wilson and the CREC in Moscow, ID.  

Interesting that she practices patriarchy to some extent.  She notes she's quite content to let her husband be the leader in their home. 

Side note: I remember reading a book where a cleric was called Kev the Rev, which I personally think would suit Pastor Kevin better. 

Edit: He's an interesting guy, and not what I'd assume for SDA. 

Unroll for non Tweeps:  I pastor in the small community of Troy Idaho. 15 minutes away from me there is a pastor named Doug Wilson

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

On 5/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, Howl said:

Edit: He's an interesting guy, and not what I'd assume for SDA. 

Unroll for non Tweeps:  I pastor in the small community of Troy Idaho. 15 minutes away from me there is a pastor named Doug Wilson

My impression from friends is that these days much of the SDA has become a mostly evangelical denomination.  Anyway, part 2 is up now :

• Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Julie Anne Smith of Spiritual Sounding Board appears in two videos with Pastor Kevin McGill in which they discuss Doug Wilson's vile cult and its damage to women, in particular.

Kevin invited me to come to the Moscow area and share from my experiences/advocacy work. We recorded two videos. You better believe I’ll make the 3-hour drive if it means that even one woman might take the courageous step of leaving a harmful church or marriage.

Women, you do not need to subject yourself to bad church teachings or a harmful marriage. Sex within marriage should be consensual. If it is not, it is rape. Period. Please reach out to safe advocates if you need help.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Excellent. I knew Julie Anne was headed to Moscow but I didn't know she was meeting with Pastor Kevin McGill. 

• Upvote 2

Julie Anne Smith posted this on facebook on June 6.

Trigger warning: marital rape. 

I just got back from a short visit to Moscow, Idaho, home of Pastor Doug Wilson (founder of CREC: Communion of Reformed Evangelical Churches) and his local church, Christ Church.

I became acquainted with Doug Wilson first via homeschooling. He wrote a book (reportedly plagiarized some of it as well) on Classical education. I’ve written about Doug Wilson on my blog over the years, including posts regarding a couple of high-profile pedophiles he defended and protected.

Several years ago, I went to Moscow, ID for a weekend and met with survivors from his church. They shared the same kinds of abuse stories I am used to reporting on: sexual abuse cover-ups, cult-like behavior, spiritual abuse, women being treated inferior to men and blamed for men’s sexual addictions, abuse, indiscretions.

In 2012, I read an alarming quote from a book Wilson wrote. Here is the quote:

"A final aspect of rape that should be briefly mentioned is perhaps closer to home. Because we have forgotten the biblical concepts of true authority and submission, or more accurately, have rebelled against them, we have created a climate in which caricatures of authority and submission intrude upon our lives with violence.

When we quarrel with the way the world is, we find that the world has ways of getting back at us."

This second paragraph, and specifically, the second and third sentence left me feeling physically violated when I initially read it. I later found out that many, many women had the same physical response. Brace yourselves:

"In other words, however we try, the sexual act cannot be made into an egalitarian pleasuring party. A man penetrates, conquers, colonizes, plants. A woman receives, surrenders, accepts. This is of course offensive to all egalitarians, and so our culture has rebelled against the concept of authority and submission in marriage. This means that we have sought to suppress the concepts of authority and submission as they relate to the marriage bed."

– Douglas Wilson, Fidelity: What it Means to be a One-Woman Man (Moscow, Idaho: Canon Press, 1999), 86-87.

It has been around 9 years since I originally read that quote. I’m 9 years into being an advocate for those who have been harmed in the church, and I’ve learned a lot along the way.

That quote essentially is the foundation Wilson has laid for what he believes husbands/wives roles should be sexually.

Let me be blunt: I believe Douglas Wilson has given the green light for all “Christian” men to sexually violate or rape their wives. Men penetrate, conquer, colonize, plant; women must receive, surrender, and accept.

This weekend, I met a woman from Doug Wilson’s Christ Church who told me she was repeatedly raped in her marriage by her now ex-husband. This woman is not an isolated case. I was told the stories of several other women, and knowing the climate of these high-controlling churches, I am convinced there are many, many more women who are suffering rape in their marriages, but who are afraid to come forward because there is a cost. You see, if a woman in Wilson's church does not willingly give her husband sex when he demands it, SHE is the one who is at risk for being put in church discipline.

I am writing this for 2 reasons: first, because Doug Wilson is still highly respected in Christendom. Folks, this man is vile and evil. He should have no place in any kind of leadership. Secondly, I want to give a public shout-out to Kevin McGill. Kevin, to my knowledge, is the only pastor in the local Moscow area who has publicly called Doug Wilson’s teachings abusive. This is a really big deal. To have a pastor call out abuse gives survivors an opportunity to know there are safe places outside of their high-controlling church. This is so important.

Kevin invited me to come to the Moscow area and share from my experiences/advocacy work. We recorded two videos. You better believe I’ll make the 3-hour drive if it means that even one woman might take the courageous step of leaving a harmful church or marriage.

Women, you do not need to subject yourself to bad church teachings or a harmful marriage. Sex within marriage should be consensual. If it is not, it is rape. Period. Please reach out to safe advocates if you need help.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 9

In a 'crossing of streams' (threads in the forum) move, I note Voddie Baucham is lining up himself and Wilson (among others) as defenders against the 'scourge' of CRT: https://www.christianpost.com/books/voddie-baucham-doesnt-believe-in-white-privilege.html

“Why are people and groups like Thabiti Anyabwile, Tim Keller, Russell Moore, the Southern Baptist Convention, the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, 9Marks, the Gospel Coalition, and Together for the Gospel (T4G) being identified with Critical Social Justice on one side of the fault, and people like John MacArthur, Tom Ascol, Owen Strachan, Douglas Wilson, and the late R.C. Sproul being identified on the other?” he asks in the introduction of his 270-page book. “It is not a stretch to say we are seeing seismic shifts in the evangelical landscape. But is it an exaggeration to call this a coming catastrophe? I don’t think so,” he writes.

The divide is so strong, Baucham argues, that America is on the verge of a “race war.”

Edited by stylites
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

4 hours ago, stylites said:

Why are people and groups like Thabiti Anyabwile, Tim Keller, Russell Moore, the Southern Baptist Convention, the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, 9Marks, the Gospel Coalition, and Together for the Gospel (T4G) being identified with Critical Social Justice on one side of the fault, and people like John MacArthur, Tom Ascol, Owen Strachan, Douglas Wilson, and the late R.C. Sproul being identified on the other?”

What a freaking rogue's gallery of patriarchal asshole-ry on both sides; I'm not exactly sure what to make of this. 

WIKI: Critical social justice is differentiated from social justice generally as a marker of its “specific theoretical perspectives" that recognise inequality as "deeply embedded in the fabric of society (i.e., as structural)", adding that the practice of critical social justice means "actively [seeking] to change this"

• Upvote 7

In some ways, Voddie has hit on the ultimate grift. He saw the deep pockets of white grievance in the SBC and is now making serious bank from it. 

If he has to ally himself with the likes of pedophile protector Doug Wilson, so be it. The money is rolling in.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

What a freaking rogue's gallery of patriarchal asshole-ry on both sides; I'm not exactly sure what to make of this.

Yeah.  If not for mess they are going to be causing in their congregants lives, I'd be of the opinion 'Let them fight'.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, Howl said:

Julie Anne Smith posted this on facebook on June 6.

Trigger warning: marital rape. 

currently hoping that the work julie and other activists like sarah bader and pastor  kevin  mcgill are doing leads to a reckoning and justice for victims. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On another note, Kev the Rev's Courageous Empathy videos w/ Sarah Bader and Julie Anne are probably now on Christ Church Moscow's radar.  

Expect snarky warfare from Christ Church proxies, rather than Wilson himself. 

• Thank You 4

Spoiler

1198613813_Screenshot_20210612-1625302.thumb.png.b79e3aed146e7da4b2931781c65e008d.png

Mike lawyer, the director of biblical counseling for christ church, responded in a now deleted comment

Edited by CaseyGrace
Did the spoiler wrong I apologize!
  • Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 3

Thought about starting another thread for this article but realized this is the right place to drop it, because Doug Wilson IS an authoritarian patriarch and racist and this provides a history and timeline of how these two things wrap around each other.  

It's longish, but important, because it ties together so much: Racism & Patriarchy: Two Strands of the Same Authoritarian Theology

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

9 hours ago, Howl said:

Thought about starting another thread for this article but realized this is the right place to drop it, because Doug Wilson IS an authoritarian patriarch and racist and this provides a history and timeline of how these two things wrap around each other.  

It's longish, but important, because it ties together so much: Racism & Patriarchy: Two Strands of the Same Authoritarian Theology

Summarised as "Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic