IGNORED

More Info on Doug Wilson, Pedophile Enabler

bea

Ride, Sally, Ride—Chapter Nine: Isadora Requests a Do-Over

Isadora, the Lying Liar Who Lies, has just fired her sleazebag lawyer, Dwight Glastonbury III. She is miffed that fame keeps eluding her.  She had hoped to achieve fame through performances at poetry slams, but that hadn’t worked out because the other poets wanted to read their own stuff instead of listening to hers.

In Kansas, she had tried accusing her PE teacher of molestation, but he had an airtight alibi, having been on stage performing in “The Music Man” at the time in question. In Utah, she tried the same tack with her math teacher, who had been flunking her for bad quiz grades, and failed again because the police saw right through her. “She did not know how to blow sunshine at …Utah cops. She might have done quite well in Illinois or Connecticut.” *Hane’s head explodes* Dougie, I triple-dog-dare you to visit the Nutmeg State. I bet you can barely find it on a map. So Isadora turned her sights on Ace after learning about the sex-doll-“murder” thing. When that seemed to wash out, she goes to the Survivors’ Resource Center to see Thelma, the counselor she had seen there, and apologizes for having gone to Dwight the Sleazebag for help instead of Thelma’s agency. Thelma warns Isadora that Stephanie, despite being a reactionary, is not stupid. She advises Isadora not to proceed with a civil suit against Ace (Isadora is mainly motivated by money) but to participate in the criminal case instead, in hopes of getting a book deal out of it. “Thelma…hadn’t told Isadora (yet) that her husband, Mia, was the acquisitions editor for the biggest publisher in Colorado.” Notice the “her husband, Mia.” Dougie wants you to be HORRIFIED by this little tidbit.

Lionel Joins the Wrong Team

Lionel goes to the prosecutor’s office to see Connor the Evil Gay Prosecutor and sees Sara the receptionist, instantly thinking, “What is a girl like that doing working in a place like this?” (Dougie gives no reason for Lionel’s reaction to Sara.) Connor is happy to see “Pussy Man.”

“Lionel, whatever else he appeared to be—vain and conceited and effeminate would about cover it—was not stupid. He was there for purposes of his own, and revenge would have been a reasonable guess, and he had done enough research on Connorson to bait the hook well.” He tells Connor that he wants to take Stephanie down a few notches. He mentions that he’s a cybertechnician, and that during one of his dates with her, he “fixed” her phone, getting her pass code. He says that, for the right price ($200,000), he can get into her computer and into her father’s. He gives Connor his qualifications; Connor agrees to the deal. Then Lionel pretends to get into Stephanie’s computer files, which are fakes he had made in advance of the meeting.

A Deeper Way

Thelma, the Survivor’s Resource Center Counselor, during an appointment with Isadora, goes into a long screed about “Epistemological Identity,” or the idea of truth being “relative.” “Lies…propagated by the patriarchy…always seem plausible, even to us. The only way to fight their narrative is to invent a contrary story. And even if it is not what people used to call the truth, it is always a lot closer to is than what *they* are spinning.” Because Isadora is a member of an oppressed class, “a woman, a survivor, and someone who has been fat-shamed, not to mention…how your poetry was mocked by various haters…This intersectional reality means that whatever you say is the truth, *by definition*.” Thelma calls this “the full meeting of liberation.”  (Dougie knows just enough about intersectionalism to be dangerous.)

Sara Makes Herself Useful, and Lionel Surprises

Connor gives Sarah a file to give to Detective Morrison, who would be showing up in half an hour or so, then leaves. Sara reads it and is appalled that the prosecutor is asking the cops to tail Stephanie, her nice new friend. Sara has found everyone in the prosecutor’s office to be so foul and profane that she types up a near-copy of the memo, puts a fake address on it, forges Connor’s signature, and shreds the original—so that Morrison would wind up sitting at a different house from Stephanie’s. It turns out that the resident of the fake address looks a lot like Stephanie, so the detective is sent on a wild goose chase.

Sara leaves work at five, and decides to cut through the parking garage to get to her bus stop. At the stairwell, she is accosted by three switchblade-brandishing thugs. As she struggles to uncap her pepper spray, who should show up but Lionel, who now is acting all butch and manly. Lionel does some fancy defense moves, decking his opponents, breaking the arms of two of them, and pulling a gun on them. He gives them five minutes to get away; the hospital ER is nearby.

Sara thanks Lionel for his gallantry, but he says he had followed her. He asks her out to coffee, wanting to ask her a few questions, and answer any questions she may have. So now we know that Lionel isn’t an effeminate lying pussy, but one of the Good Guys.   

• Thank You 14

I’ve never read any of DW’s other books, but I’ve been told they’re rife with fake rape accusations and poor men being ruined by them. None of this is surprising, given his history of mishandling abuse. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1

Ride, Sally, Ride:  Chapter Ten—Mothers

Camila

Stephanie has been working parttime for her father on sensitive cases. He’s hired her because he’s working with the disreputable out-of-state, and now illegal in Colorado, Christian Legal Defense, and he wants to shield his usual paralegal from risk. So now she’s in meetings with Jon and Ace.

“Ace, for his part, was more than happy to have her present in the room, in that she was anything but an eyesore, but Jon was on to him, and so remained suspicious about Ace’s motives for wanting her in the room.” Yup—Ace has the hots for Stephanie, but her dad has to protect his daughter from illicit lust.

Ace confesses the saga of his one-shot sexual encounter with Camila. It had happened at a time when he was ticked off with his father; he didn’t want to be like him even if that meant not believing in God. (Dougie does not expound on what made Ace’s father so horrendous at the time.) Ace, age 15, and Camila, age 18, bang once in the bushes during a neighbor’s party, and that was it. Poor Ace was plunged into so much guilt that he was in an emotional hell for two weeks and then repented of his immorality and became a Christian. (The fact that Camila was an adult and Ace was a minor is waved away as irrelevant. OK.)

They look Camila up, and discover that she still lives in the area, is married to an Assemblies of God pastor, and has a couple of kids. So that Jon will not be surprised by anything in the courtroom, Stephanie agrees to go on a recon mission to Camila’s church to check her out.

On Sunday, Camila greets Stephanie warmly before the service, and recognizes her from the Man Pussy video. She invites Stephanie to stay for the fellowship dinner. As the two of them sit alone together, Camila shares the tale of her encounter with “that fine young man.” It happened a year before she was Saved (TM), and she later confessed it to her husband when he proposed to her. She goes on and on about how Ace’s controversy is “all about Jesus” and that Stephanie should be proud to have a boyfriend like him. The Pentecostals of Camila’s congregation are praying for Jon but simultaneously not saying a word about him to anybody. Sure—fine.

Lest you think that Camila’s come-on to virginal young Ace was just a quick case of the hots, we learn that during that time frame she was heavily into drugs and about to commit suicide, until she found the phone number to a drug rehab program at the church she now attends. She was “saved” by her second meeting and totally drug-free, because that’s how it works in real life.

A woman approaches them as they get ready to leave the church. “Hello, Victoria,” says Camila—and Stephanie exclaims, “Mother!”

Victoria

Wow! Stephanie’s long-lost mother has been in the church’s rehab program for eight months. She recounts the sad tale of how and why she left Stephanie’s father: “I was simply angry, bitter, frustrated, resentful, and more angry. I was simply doing *anything* I could think of that would hurt him….That is why I chose to run off with that…that woman." (Because becoming a lesbian simply out of spite is totally a thing.) "But after about three months I came to the conclusion that overweight butch lesbians are overrated.” Evil Overweight Butch Lesbian had been Victoria’s therapist (of course) and Victoria had turned to drugs. Working as a realtor, she met Camila, who could tell right off the bat that she was strung out on drugs. So they said a magic prayer together, and voila.

Stephanie muses that “this Jesus thing was everywhere,” so there must be something to it.

Patricia

Stephanie is struck by a line in a column Ace had written for the Boise Statesman. “It made her think that he must have been reading Chesterton right before he wrote it…’There is no way to treat things (like sex androids) as though they are bio-women without this resulting in the treatment of bio-women as though they are things.’” Whoa, Dougie—you and your fanbois are perfectly capable of treating women like things in the complete absence of sex androids.

Stephanie and her father had learned that Steven Sasani had been married before, in Arkansas, and was still legally married to one Patricia Sasani, age 48. Stephanie can find no trace of Patricia on line, but decides that Patricia may not still be in Arkansas. So she waits for Steven to leave his house and goes over to take a look around.

Peering into a basement window, she sees a woman who signals her for help. Could it be the very same Patricia?  Of course it is! Stephanie unscrews the basement window to extricate Patricia.

Back at Stephanie and Jon’s house, the four of them (including Trish and Ace) decide how to proceed. Trish wants to go directly to the cops, but Jon wants to spring her on the prosecution as a surprise witness, and Ace and Stephanie explain “the hassle they had to go through when they reported the attempted assassination to Colorado’s finest, and how she would swiftly be made aware of the legal differences between Colorado and her native Arkansas (this awareness bringing much sorrow with it).” (Dougie did not regale us with a single word of Ace and Stephanie’s going to the police after the shooting—this is the first time it comes up.) Trish acquiesces, just happy to be out of her basement prison.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 13

1 hour ago, Hane said:

Ace confesses the saga of his one-shot sexual encounter with Camila. It had happened at a time when he was ticked off with his father; he didn’t want to be like him even if that meant not believing in God. (Dougie does not expound on what made Ace’s father so horrendous at the time.) Ace, age 15, and Camila, age 18, bang once in the bushes during a neighbor’s party, and that was it. Poor Ace was plunged into so much guilt that he was in an emotional hell for two weeks and then repented of his immorality and became a Christian. (The fact that Camila was an adult and Ace was a minor is waved away as irrelevant. OK.)

As the two of them sit alone together, Camila shares the tale of her encounter with “that fine young man.” It happened a year before she was Saved (TM), and she later confessed it to her husband when he proposed to her. 

This may be some more terrible stereotyping by Dougie in the Ace/Camila drama. Camila is fulfilling the evil fallen Eve stereotype by leading the (very much a minor) Ace up the garden path and, as it turns out, into the bushes. The fact that she's now saved doesn't change the fact that she's still an ebil woman under it all.

This next bit is my opinion only, and others may not agree with me. FFS, Camila can bang who she wants (providing they're not minors) where she wants and when she wants. And in my opinion, is under no obligation to share the details with her future husband. IT'S NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. She is not chewed gum. She could have banged a different person every night for five years and it's still NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. Is there some kind of engagement checklist and confessional? Should she be grateful that her fiancé didn't ditch her despite her evil fucking-in-the-bushesness?

The purity culture of Christians is so so damaging. I'm thinking of Paul and Morgan (terrible young Christian YouTubers) where so much guilt is laid on Morgan because she had sex before marriage. I would be willing to bet that her lack of virginity is held against her and used to control her. The very fact that Dougie is making this  part of the dialogue when it's totally irrelevant to Camila's story shows how he regards it. 

Finally, spite lesbians? Really?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

@Katzchen24, every “good” character in this book who has the “wrong” kind of sex (anything other than heterosexual married sex) is obligated to wallow in guilt and agony over it, and then to “get saved.”  There is talk about sin, but the only things that qualify as sin in Dougie’s worldview are sexual. The “good” characters in this story lie and connive non-stop, but it’s OK because it’s for The Greater Good. It’s funny: Dougie ridicules the Evil Feminists for fighting the patriarchy’s lies with lies of their own, but nary a word is said against the Good Guys for doing the same exact thing.

And *YES* in flashing neon lights to what you said about Paul and Morgan. I honestly don’t know what happened to that poor girl. I saw one of her music videos from before she was “saved,” and have a hard time figuring out why she abandoned innocuous secular activities for that arrogant douchenozzle she married. Weren’t there better guys around?

• Upvote 8

18 hours ago, Hane said:

Ace, age 15, and Camila, age 18, bang once in the bushes during a neighbor’s party, and that was it. Poor Ace was plunged into so much guilt that he was in an emotional hell for two weeks and then repented of his immorality and became a Christian. (The fact that Camila was an adult and Ace was a minor is waved away as irrelevant. OK.)

There might be a " Romeo and Juliet " law in their state . {   https://legaldictionary.net/romeo-and-juliet-laws/  , https://www.thoughtco.com/romeo-and-juliet-laws-what-they-mean-3533768 } 

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 2

@Marmion, even if there is, this is Pretend Fake Dystopian Colorado, for which Dougie has made up his own laws, and worrying about the ages of the now-born-again fornicators doesn’t fit into his narrative, so he tosses it aside.

I am endlessly amused that he thinks Connecticut cops are a bunch of “politically correct” (God, how much hate that term!) pushovers. The story of Malik Jones, the son of a professor at my daughter’s college, indicates otherwise.

Another thing: Dougie manages to give a condescending nod of approval to all practicing Christians in this book, but it’s clear that only the Right Kinds of Presbyterians will cut the mustard, and that Catholics, Pentecostals, and Mennonites are déclassé.

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, Hane said:

I am endlessly amused that he thinks Connecticut cops are a bunch of “politically correct” (God, how much hate that term!) pushovers. The story of Malik Jones, the son of a professor at my daughter’s college, indicates otherwise

Ah yes , New England , a white nationalist dream .   

• Upvote 2

@Marmion, I live in a blue town, but there’s a goddamn full-size Confederate flag hanging on a full-size flagpole in the front yard of a house a couple of streets away from me.

• WTF 7

On 11/23/2020 at 3:59 AM, Hane said:

“Thelma…hadn’t told Isadora (yet) that her husband, Mia, was the acquisitions editor for the biggest publisher in Colorado.” Notice the “her husband, Mia.” Dougie wants you to be HORRIFIED by this little tidbit.

Hane, is it any clearer in the book itself what’s meant here? Is Mia a man with a feminine-seeming name? Or a woman who considers herself a husband? Or “both/and” rather than one gender? Just not sure exactly what Doug wants us to clutch pearls at.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:43 AM, Hane said:

Ace, for his part, was more than happy to have her present in the room, in that she was anything but an eyesore

This is, according to Hane, a direct quote from the book. I thought maybe Ace was glad to have her be part of the trial prep because he trusted her, because she’d have good ideas, because she’s a good friend. But no: it’s because she’s hot. Good grief.

She recounts the sad tale of how and why she left Stephanie’s father: “I was simply angry, bitter, frustrated, resentful, and more angry. I was simply doing *anything* I could think of that would hurt him

This is Stephanie’s mom’s account of leaving Stephanie’s blowhard dad. Sounds like a solid plan! It certainly reflects a reasonable reaction towards any Doug Wilson-type figure! Shame she seems to be sorry for it.

Evil Overweight Butch Lesbian had been Victoria’s therapist (of course)

Ugh, so now therapists can’t be trusted either. Doug must live in such constant fear: women, therapists, shelter volunteers, all manipulators and liars!! (And probably ugly and probably lesbians.)

Stephanie and her father had learned that Steven Sasani had been married before, in Arkansas, and was still legally married to one Patricia Sasani, age 48. Stephanie can find no trace of Patricia on line, but decides that Patricia may not still be in Arkansas. So she waits for Steven to leave his house and goes over to take a look around.

Peering into a basement window, she sees a woman who signals her for help. Could it be the very same Patricia?  Of course it is!

WTF???? They learn the sex-bot user actually used to be married, so instead of, like, looking up the address or phone number of where she lives now, their first assumption is that she’s being held prisoner in his basement? And they’re RIGHT????

Trish wants to go directly to the cops, but Jon wants to spring her on the prosecution as a surprise witness,

And then instead of doing what’s good for the victim they decide to use her as a gotcha witness at the trial?????????? WTAF???

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, Petronella said:

then instead of doing what’s good for the victim

Why would that be a consideration?  How would it benefit Ace, the only Important character? 

Also not sure that "the person I stole from and destroyed the property of is a terrible human being" is actually pertinent to the defence in any way. I mean "I stole his car and trashed it, but he's a drug dealer" - so what? You stole the car.  This lawyer sucks.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 11/21/2020 at 6:38 PM, Hane said:

Dougie constantly tosses in descriptions of the filthy, decaying infrastructure of the roads, public buildings, and parking lots of dystopian Colorado. I guess he is implying that every square inch of the red states is a pristine paradise by comparison. Also, Bad Guys always drive things like Japanese and/or energy-efficient cars.

This is just such a random thing to me, that part of the issue this damned story has is with road infrastructure. lol

This Fundie jackass likely thinks “intersectionality” has to do with Interstate maintenance or some shit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

Oh good, 2020 was only missing a thread title combining 'Doug Wilson' and 'sex'.  Now it's complete.  *vomit*

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

This is just such a random thing to me, that part of the issue this damned story has is with road infrastructure. lol

Oh I don’t think it’s random at all. He seems to genuinely believe (or at least be preaching) that Christianity is not just the correct religion, but in fact the only correct societal underpinning in literally ALL ways. EVERYTHING would be solved if we were all conservative Christians of his very specific type. Yes, even the highways! And lacking Christianity leads to ruin. Not just moral ruin; literal, physical ruin.

Far from random, I think this is foundational to their belief system.

It’s very Prosperity Gospel.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Petronella said:

EVERYTHING would be solved if we were all conservative Christians of his very specific type. Yes, even the highways! And lacking Christianity leads to ruin. Not just moral ruin; literal, physical ruin.

He's never been to Dubai or Singapore or any of the other non-Christian places with decent infrastructure, has he.  Or even the Wrong Type Of Christian places with decent infrastructure, e.g. most of western Europe. Or the nominally Wrong Type Of Christian But Kind Of Secular places like Australia, NZ and Canada...

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I was thinking about this book and I'll be honest with you - the kernel idea is actually an interesting one.  A book regarding when destroying AI would be considered murder would be something that would interest me.  Even better, a book regarding AI as a sex robot paralleled with human prostitutes doing sex work could be amazing.  But it would take a far better writer to pull it off.  

• I Agree 11

On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, Black Aliss said:

Ronny is a malevolent scumbag. Other PACE characters make the occasional mistake (like choosing to read a book instead of pray), but Ronny's every action is either stupid or simply unprovoked, intentional evil. Ronny is a thief....

He mocks a small child for crying....

Later, Ronny crashes his motorcycle, paralyzing one of the other characters in the accident. Following this, Ronny mocks the other character for needing a wheelchair. 

I remember that!

On 11/6/2020 at 2:51 AM, THERetroGamerNY said:

I can’t explain why, but the idea that this book is “Blade Runner for Fundies” will NOT leave my brain.

I wish we could be actually reading that book.  Or maybe watching 'Westworld for Fundies' :P

Well actually I think Westworld with Fundies would be better.  "Have you questioned the nature of your reality?"

Anyhow I think the real robots in this story are DW's internal stereotypes of liberals.  He seems to think there's real people who have the actual continual exclusive thought process "beep boop, abortion and porn for everyone, bzzzzzz must exterminate marriage and the church, boop beep believe all women unconditionally" etc.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Anyhow I think the real robots in this story are DW's internal stereotypes of liberals.  He seems to think there's real people who have the actual continual exclusive thought process "beep boop, abortion and porn for everyone, bzzzzzz must exterminate marriage and the church, boop beep believe all women unconditionally" etc.

BRILLIANT

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 11/29/2020 at 4:19 AM, Dana723 said:

A book regarding when destroying AI would be considered murder would be something that would interest me. 

Agreed - the reboot of Battlestar Galactica went a bit in that direction (also in the "what actually makes us human?" direction) which was interesting.

23 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Black and white thinking doesn't really accept that pretty much all people have shades of grey. I mean, he can't even discuss that his (anti) heroes are acting directly against their alleged moral values by lying etc. There's no recognition even that their actions could be seen as utter hypocrisy, or justification of the behaviour with acknowledgement that it is inconsistent - even a "in the face of tyranny etc" acknowledgment would be something.

Stephanie's blatant lie though is... not really justifiable under either her or Doug's alleged moral code - lying for a gotcha! moment is just being an arsehole. Which is consistent with Doug's actual moral code I suppose.

23 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Well actually I think Westworld with Fundies would be better.  "Have you questioned the nature of your reality?"

I would watch that. Especially if we could do it as a Truman Show kind of desert island crossover.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Ride, Sally, Ride—Chapter Eleven: Hindu God of War

Full Height

Benson draws himself up to his full height and tells Roberta that, because Ace is refusing to do the right thing and admit his guilt in the “murder” of Sally the sex doll, they should accept an interview with the press to do some damage control on Ace’s behalf.

Roberta, despite her years of training in womanly submission, says, “No.” (Because it’s just hunky-dory for a Good Christian Wife to say “no” to her husband if he isn’t following The Rules of Dougie.) She tells Benson that they have been wronging Ace, and she is repenting of her “folly, laziness, and cowardice” and says she’s going to call her “actually godly son” Ace to meet him for coffee. She accuses Benson of hypocrisy, having seen sketchy info on his computer (apparently she was a computer tech when she met him, and knows the limits of “clear history”). Because anyone who doesn’t agree with Dougie is sexually perverted and a hypocrite. Benson tells her to go, if that’s what she wants to do.

Hindu God of War

Benson is livid that Roberta has accused him of moral compromise. He starts typing her an angry letter, then remembers something Ace had said about the possibility of their pastor “baptizing a sexbot.” Suddenly Benson gets an email from the pastor, with the subject line “Position Paper on Baptizing ‘Alternative’ Members Thoughts?”

Wow! Yet another evil that Ace had predicted (along with EBT cards in brothels and the legalization of brother-sister unions)! Benson goes into the kitchen for a glass of water. He slips and falls flat on his back, cracking his head on the floor, and the glass in his hand bounces off his forehead. After lying unconscious for a few minutes, he comes to with the realization that Ace has been right all along! He looks in the mirror and sees that the circular welt on his forehead makes him look like a “Hindu god of war.”

He deletes the draft of his angry letter and decides to talk with Ace and Roberta to find out what she really thinks.

The Almost Name

At the coffee shop, Roberta apologizes profusely to Ace for having allowed Benson to throw him out of the house, and for not having stood up for him during his rough patch in high school. Benson calls, says he’ll meet them at home, and says that the pastor has called a special meeting of the church leadership.

Roberta says that Benson had wanted to name Ace Phinehas, but she didn’t want to, and never told him why, because she “was afraid of what might happen. But it happened anyway.” (As I believe I mentioned earlier, Phinehas was an Old Testament figure who was displeased with sexual immorality—particularly in cases where Israelites intermarried with Moabites and Midianites and worshiped their god—and had murdered an Israelite man and a Midianite woman who were in the act of intercourse. Quite the exemplary character.)

Excitement on the Session

At the church leadership session, the pastor offers a short devotional, which Benson recognizes as coming from “a popular website for busy pastors.” The reason for the meeting: A church member “was requesting a special form of membership for his android partner, and according to the by-laws, *any* kind of membership required baptism, and because it was a sex doll, that meant a special form of baptism. And *that* meant a Greek word study of baptism!”

An older traditionalist announces his resignation from the session. (By “session,” Dougie apparently means leadership council.) And Benson decides to join him.     

• Thank You 9

Dougie seems to get more narratively incoherent with every chapter.

Also there's a new BSG thing in the works.  It's very unclear and confusing how it relates to the previous show.

• I Agree 3

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Dougie seems to get more narratively incoherent with every chapter.

Also there's a new BSG thing in the works.  It's very unclear and confusing how it relates to the previous show.

The difficulty of wanting to post two reactions simultaneously! I agree is about Doug, thank you about BSG. 

6 hours ago, Hane said:

according to the by-laws, *any* kind of membership required baptism, and because it was a sex doll, that meant a special form of baptism. And *that* meant a Greek word study of baptism!”

That is the weirdest thought train. But hey, why not study the Greek word instead of actually discussing the issue.

6 hours ago, Hane said:

At the coffee shop, Roberta apologizes profusely to Ace for having allowed Benson to throw him out of the house, and for not having stood up for him during his rough patch in high school.

That'd be the one when he was accused of sexual assault then? Or are they not getting specific here. 

6 hours ago, Hane said:

He slips and falls flat on his back, cracking his head on the floor, and the glass in his hand bounces off his forehead. After lying unconscious for a few minutes, he comes to with the realization that Ace has been right all along!

Does Doug realise that he's admitted that having an acquired brain injury may be a prerequisite for believing this dreck? 

• Upvote 11

@Dana723, @CyborgKin, @Ozlsn—re AI/androids: Have you seen the British series “Humans” (which was cancelled after three years, dammit)? Lots of good content about what constitutes self-awareness and being human.

@Ozlsn, Dougie is pretty vague about what went on during Ace’s “rough patch” in high school. There was something about not respecting his father (later justified, because Benson was such a wishy-washy so-and-so!), flirting with atheism in order *not* to be like his father, and a “temper” that almost got him expelled, despite the lax disciplinary standards of his private Christian high school. The sexual encounter with Camila ended all that—nearly prostrate with guilt and grief, Ace became not only a Christian, but The Right Kind.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

11 hours ago, Hane said:

a “temper” that almost got him expelled

Interesting choice of personal sins. The Calvinist theology bros are not generally the type to view anger as anything other than a manly expression of masculinity. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Columbia said:

Interesting choice of personal sins. The Calvinist theology bros are not generally the type to view anger as anything other than a manly expression of masculinity. 

Thus making it an acceptable sin for the protagonist to have! Kind of like romance novels where the heroine's relatable flaw is "too thin" or "too busty" or "her lips are too full." *eyeroll*

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic