IGNORED

More Info on Doug Wilson, Pedophile Enabler

bea

"Incredibly principled in his theology and history, Bill was the top Ph.D. candidate with high ranking grades at the College of William and Mary, but was denied his Ph.D. by the Marxist history chairman (a former "Weatherman" radical at the University of Wisconsin) because of his overt Christian and Southern perspective on history."

23 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Once again, renewing the call here for any FJ folks who might actually know what went down in at W & M, probably in the early 1980s. My guess is that Potter's blatant racism & Christianist bias, not to mention general incompetence, were enough to get him turfed out of the PhD program. 

I'd really like to know what went down as well.  Who was the chairman of the department, who was Bill's dissertation supervisor/supervising professor (if indeed, he got past his orals)? 

Bill was the top Ph.D. candidate with high ranking grades...  He's a legend in his own mind.  Nobody in academia would say "high ranking grades".  A grade of B in grad school (at least the department I worked in) would be the kiss of death for a doctoral student.  

I did a quick search of William and Mary databases.  The 1980s are not digitized; no way to get this info easily. 

@hoipolloi, That pic is beyond cringeworthy, and yet, I'm still cringing. 

• Upvote 9

WTF did I just listen to? He sounds pseudo intellectual, but he never makes a point!!

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

WTF did I just listen to? He sounds pseudo intellectual, but he never makes a point!!

That's his specialty (besides plagiarism).  If you've ever read his Blog and Mablog (otherwise known by some many as Blah and More Blah) you'll get a heavy dose of the same.  He considers himself to be exceptionally erudite, remarkably clever and "wordsmith-y".  The fact that he is none of these things bothers him not one bit. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Howl said:

That's his specialty (besides plagiarism).  If you've ever read his Blog and Mablog (otherwise known by some many as Blah and More Blah) you'll get a heavy dose of the same.  He considers himself to be exceptionally erudite, remarkably clever and "wordsmith-y".  The fact that he is none of these things bothers him not one bit. 

Guess the verse that goes something like, "in a multitude of words, there is sin" isn't in his bible.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Howl said:

I'd really like to know what went down as well.  Who was the chairman of the department, who was Bill's dissertation supervisor/supervising professor (if indeed, he got past his orals)? 

Bill was the top Ph.D. candidate with high ranking grades...  He's a legend in his own mind.  Nobody in academia would say "high ranking grades".  A grade of B in grad school (at least the department I worked in) would be the kiss of death for a doctoral student.  

I did a quick search of William and Mary databases.  The 1980s are not digitized; no way to get this info easily. 

@hoipolloi, That pic is beyond cringeworthy, and yet, I'm still cringing. 

My money is on Ed Crapol, now a professor emeritus. He went to the University of Wisconsin (though he certainly wasn't a Weatherman there, or anywhere, given that he came to W&M in 1967 and the Weathermen got going in '69). He did study under William Appleman Williams, a prominent New Left scholar, at UW.

Once he got to W&M, where at least one history prof hung a Confederate flag in his classroom  and where there were 2, count'em, 2 black students at the time, he did help start a Human Relations Committee to improve town and gown relations, especially with the black community. And he was indeed a civil rights and antiwar activist, but from everything I can find, basically a mainstream political historian. His classes were popular among W&M not-generally-radical student body and he taught there for close to 40 years. His latest book is on President Tyler.

Potter was there in '80-'81.... and I am procrastinating madly over some boring chores by researching this.

• Upvote 9

Wow, great sleuthing!  I can imagine a professor getting Bill Potter's seminar paper or a dissertation draft and mentally processing a more genteel version of "Da fuq I just read?" or perhaps, "Oh, HELL NO!"

p.s. Hope those boring chores flew by. 

ETA: "Incredibly principled in his theology and history" can be translated as "intransigent and opinionated; not amenable to input from anyone, especially mainstream political liberals and women"  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

@bea, Excellent overview of the repulsive Doug Wilson.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

My money is on Ed Crapol, now a professor emeritus. He went to the University of Wisconsin (though he certainly wasn't a Weatherman there, or anywhere, given that he came to W&M in 1967 and the Weathermen got going in '69). He did study under William Appleman Williams, a prominent New Left scholar, at UW.

<snip for space>

Potter was there in '80-'81.... and I am procrastinating madly over some boring chores by researching this.

Interesting - and you could be right.  Crapol was definitely a member of the SDS at the University of Wisconsin. https://minds.wisconsin.edu/bitstream/handle/1793/54376/RunnoeSpring2011.pdf

Whether he ever joined the Weather Underground or engaged in any direct action IDK, but little details like that wouldn't bother Doug Phillips if he wanted to try to  libel someone.   

@hoipolloi, thanks for the reminder of Bill Potter's bio.  I have to laugh - and edit.

"Incredibly principled obstinate in his theology delusions and revisionist history , Bill was the top Ph.D. candidate (says who?) with high ranking grades (compared to whom?) at the College of William and Mary, but was denied his Ph.D.  probably failed his dissertation because he refused to remove the crap his committee insisted was inaccurate by the Marxist history chairman (a former "Weatherman" radical at the University of Wisconsin) because of his overt perverted Christian and Southern racist perspective on history."

Bill Potter is still calling himself a PhD (abd) on LinkedIn.  While not technically a lie it is extremely misleading.  Either he never produced a dissertation - and most universities give a time limit of 5 years +/- to complete - or he failed his dissertation defense and refused to revise it as required.  After this length of time he really shouldn't be pretending to be a PhD candidate - it is misrepresentation.

Edited by Palimpsest
redundant words
  • Upvote 9

20 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Here's DPIAR with Bill Potter, his BFF (Dougie is the short one), doing what they do best -- bad cosplay masquerading as history:

potter_phillips.jpg

What a pair of noodles. Total planks.

• Upvote 3

Great work, @older than allosaurs! I live in hope that one day we'll get an eyewitness or two to tell us what happened at W & M. It's not a vain hope -- after all, we had someone come at FJ who knew Stephen Hammer in high school and shared some info that is, uh, at odds with his current persona.

Speaking of facts at odd with fundies' delusions & lies, such as Doug Wilson's shite, check out this breaking story on George Washington's bi-racial family tree, including the sainted Robert E. Lee.

• Upvote 3

On 9/16/2016 at 7:55 PM, Howl said:

Blog and Mablog! That is priceless!!! Thanks!

@CyborgKin, thanks for posting the lastest Katie Botkin.   I'm glad she's back to blogging but sad about the topic.  I keep thinking I'll get to a point where Doug Wilson's thoughts, actions and general perfidy just can't get worse -- and then they do. 

For a glimpse into just how horrible he is, check out MoscowID's latest post on Wilson and Natalie Greenfield's girlhood diary: http://www.moscowid.net/2016/09/21/the-shubin-report-doug-wilson-and-the-attorneys/

• Upvote 5

I can't remember where I read it - probably in Natalie's blog somewhere - but related to this, I read about how often the heads of local churches come to the court for the trial of child abusers, and almost always are there sitting on the side of the accused, not on the side of the victim, and how that makes the victims and their families feel.  It's stayed with me ever since, and it's this heart-breaking detail.  It must feel like such a rejection, to know that the church is more concerned with the soul of the abuser than the abused, it keeps coming back to me in all these threads about abusers.

• Upvote 9

Doug Wilson is a specious chunk of pond scum and a turd burgling shitgibbon.  If he had any decency whatsoever he would take a bottle of sleeping pills and wash them down with a gallon of bleach. I made the mistake of reading his correspondence with Natalie Rose and got so angry I nearly blew a gasket! The nerve! Satan step aside because Doug Wilson makes you look like a prince and he's vying for your job. Oh my gosh. So much RAGE. *screaming like a banshee inside* 

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2016 at 4:15 AM, CyborgKin said:

http://kbotkin.com/2016/09/19/her-body-in-marriage/

I think this article from Katie really explains Doug's 'thinking'  well.

Just read the link. It is shattering, and yet it makes so many things clear.

Good thing I read it on an empty stomach.

I still know people who drop DW's name as if it's a good thing. I wonder if Katie's article would make them as sick as I feel after reading it.

• Upvote 4

On 9/23/2016 at 0:57 AM, WendigoAgogo said:

a turd burgling shitgibbon

This is so far beyond awesome and is the most apt descriptor for Doug Wilson EVAH!  

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...

Don’t know if this is the most recent Doug Wilson thread but I have to report: I tried the storied, vaunted, much worshiped Laphroaig today and it reminded me of iodine. Give me Jack Daniels any day over that ... medicine! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 8:37 AM, Howl said:

For a glimpse into just how horrible he is, check out MoscowID's latest post on Wilson and Natalie Greenfield's girlhood diary: http://www.moscowid.net/2016/09/21/the-shubin-report-doug-wilson-and-the-attorneys/

As I can stomach it I've been over that site several times. Horrifying stuff. I've had friends who've run in that CREC crowd. For reasons which defy logic so many have worshiped Doug Wilson, even in spite of his scandals. He really should have pursued a career as a Catholic Bishop. He's more than qualified to cover up pedophile scandals.

Another site that's well worth a look is http://federal-vision.blogspot.com/2008/03/serial-pdophile.html

• 2 months later...

On an encouraging note: I was out to dinner with a Junior Junebug and her hubby, who is as uninterested in religion as a person can be — but even *he* had heard something about the hellish situation in Moscow, ID. And none of us have any connection there, other than passing thru on our ways elsewhere  

Sunlight disinfects. I’m hopeful that the abominable people responsible for this situation become even more widely notorious and thereby forced to cease their vile operations.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 4

• 1 year later...

Spinderella Sproul is exposing that Doug Wilson intimidated the parents of Sitler's victims from testifying against Sitler. Wilson used the children as human shields.

The Sheriff's office made many attempts at interviewing the parents of child victims they'd positively identified. Their investigative efforts were hampered when confronted with the fortress psyche of a sociological cult. It was apparent Wilson was using the confessions he extracted from Sitler to make contact with parents of victim children and dissuade them from cooperating with the Sheriff's office. Wilson informed victim families Sitler would deny his earlier confessions and take the case to trial. Wilson conveyed that Sitler's defense attorney, Dean Wullenwaber (who was also NSA's attorney), would compel any child victims to take the stand in court and subject them to harsh cross-examination. In Wilson's words this would "re-victimize the victims." The fact is any child victims would not have been subjected to such intimidation tactics in court or anywhere else. Wilson well knew it but, as a direct result of his "Let's protect the victims" campaign, no parent, other than the father who originally reported Sitler, cooperated with the Sheriff's investigation. Phone calls to victim parents were never returned, letters were never answered, and interviews could never be conducted. Under Doug Wilson's duplicitous leadership Christ Church circled the wagons. Wilson used the victims as human shields, all under the guise of "protecting them." In reality Wilson was only protecting the child molester. 

This sounds like obstruction of justice, something Wilson should have been criminally charged for.

• WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• 3 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/douglaswils/status/1242907305185816577

Doug is most displeased that Idaho has invoked stay-at-home rules. He was all set up to re-open his schools and keep gathering at church, and now he can't, because except for him, we're all panicky fools. Anyway, God has given us coronavirus for his glory, and we should be more appreciative.

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 5

• 1 month later...

So the newly named guy, Jim Nance, was an active CREC elder back when Jamin Wight -- then a student at Doug's pastor-training program -- was sexually abusing Natalie Greenfield while lodging at her home. If this reminds us of the Steven Sitler scenario with the Sproul family, it should. The church responded by excommunicating first Natalie's father and then Natalie, and then welcoming back a "repentant" Jamin, officiating his marriage in the church, and then being shocked, shocked I tell you, when went on to abuse and terrorize his wife.

These are from the Christ Church timeline of the whole saga, posted by the church:

CCEM (6/15/06) Pastor’s report: Doug Wilson asked for the elders to give input regarding Gary Greenfield’s status in the church. Motion (JN/EI) to ask Doug Wilson to assemble charges against Gary Greenfield toward possible excommunication.Passed. Mike Lawyer suggested personal appeals from other elders to Gary. Jim Nance offered to contact Gary by email and phone to try to set up a meeting.

CCEM (8/17/06) Pastor’s report: The elders provided input concerning the charges on the Gary Greenfield case. Motion by Jim Nance (seconded by Wes Struble) to approve the charges as written with the editorial changes discussed. Approved unanimously  -- 

One of the church's charges against Garry Greenfield was "claiming the authority of a husband and father [was] virtually absolute."  Huh.

Edited by older than allosaurs
  • Thank You 3

I have a number of friends who went to W&M. Ummm....that's not exactly a hotbed of liberal thought or anything remotely radical. I mean, the campus butts up against the colonial/touristy area (Duke of Gloucester St). I honestly can't think of a single VA state school that was/is a hotbed of liberalism. Most of them are marginally to the left of Falwell. 

***Disclaimer: I grew up in the Hampton Roads area of VA. I attended "Harvard by the Highway" which was also NOT a hotbed of liberal thought in the 80's or 90's. 

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic