IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Pt. 3: Fundie Cat Fights, Ahoy

FundieFarmer

On 08/10/2016 at 6:35 PM, fundiefan said:

It does mean healer in Celtic. I googled. Whether that is valid or someone made it up somewhere, I don't know. But I did find it on several sites. 

Celtic isn't a language.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anything ever update on this situation besides the individual being arrested for the alleged crime?

Is he just sitting in jail?

Or did anything ever happen past square one, square one being getting arrested and charged with the crime?

Please forgive me if I'm missing something. . .which could be the case. . I have tried to follow this thread, but to my understanding on it, it is still at square one.

Which, if this is the case, is puzzling to me.  

Anyone?

Thank you in advance. :)

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

There is actually a group of Celtic languages.

Yes there is a group of "Celtic languages" with a common root but they are different.  And are usually defined as such:  Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish and Breton.

It may sound very picky but saying something means something in "Celtic" is incorrect - and that was what was pointed out above.

It's like saying <word> always means (whatever) in "Romance."   Do you mean Catalan, French, Italian, Portuguese, Provençal, Spanish,  Romanian, or Romansh (and a few others).  

Is it pedantry or excessive accuracy? Now that's Free Jinger.   You have to be amused by it.  :)

2 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

Please forgive me if I'm missing something. . .which could be the case. . I have tried to follow this thread, but to my understanding on it, it is still at square one.

Which, if this is the case, is puzzling to me.  

It seems that there has been no movement reported by the press in the case so far. Alan Bret Smith appears to be held in jail without bail pending trial - although there may have been interim hearings that have not been documented online as yet.

It is not terribly puzzling to me.  The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow.  It may be months (even a couple of years) before the case goes to trial.  If he cops a plea that may not even be reported by the local press.

I'm sure the wheels roll slowly, but there is due process.  You can't just be held forever, without something going forward, right?

That said, . . .what YOU said. . .meaning yes, even if something DOES or HAS HAPPENED

we may never know anything if the press writes nothing about it.

The Googling I've done indicates that Lee didn't become a common name in the English-speaking world until white Southerners decided to commemorate Robert E. Lee after the Civil War. The surname Lee comes from the Old English word "leah" which means clearing or meadow. Post-Civil War naming conventions among Southern whites would be a fascinating thing for a historian to research, although obtaining firsthand accounts would be understandably difficult since the Civil War and Reconstruction are no longer within living memory, and parents generally don't write down detailed explanations about why they chose particular baby names.

6 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

I'm sure the wheels roll slowly, but there is due process.  You can't just be held forever, without something going forward, right?

That said, . . .what YOU said. . .meaning yes, we may never know anything if the press writes nothing about it.

Per the existing press reports, he has been charged and arraigned in accordance with due process.

He had his initial hearing within 5-6 days of initial arrest (also due process).  As a result of that hearing he was denied bail (which is the law in that state given the seriousness of charges) pending trial.  

Depending on the complexities of the case it is really not unusual for a criminal case not to go to trial for up to two years.  The time he spends in jail will count as time served if he is found guilty and sentenced.

He is getting due process.  This stuff takes time, which is horrific if someone is wrongly charged - whether they make bail or not.

I'm not losing much sleep over Alan Smith though.

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Is it pedantry or excessive accuracy?

In all seriousness, the path of the rest of my life hinges on the answer to this question :D

51 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The Googling I've done indicates that Lee didn't become a common name in the English-speaking world until white Southerners decided to commemorate Robert E. Lee after the Civil War. The surname Lee comes from the Old English word "leah" which means clearing or meadow. Post-Civil War naming conventions among Southern whites would be a fascinating thing for a historian to research, although obtaining firsthand accounts would be understandably difficult since the Civil War and Reconstruction are no longer within living memory, and parents generally don't write down detailed explanations about why they chose particular baby names.

I'm still trying to figure out why my middle name is Lee. I have done excessive research on my family lines and have yet (though I've really searched) to find a single confederate soldier. There are a number of lines that go through Virginia. Robert E. Lee is one of my cousins (as is George Washington), but none of those are the line that Lee as a name comes from. I haven't been able to figure it out unless there was a sympathizer in there who never served. My parents chose it as a familial name that has history in our family (and because they liked it with my first name), but I can't figure out where it started. Since middle names aren't on censuses, it's not clear. I've begun to wonder if it could come from a different source.

3 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why my middle name is Lee. I have done excessive research on my family lines and have yet (though I've really searched) to find a single confederate soldier. There are a number of lines that go through Virginia. Robert E. Lee is one of my cousins (as is George Washington), but none of those are the line that Lee as a name comes from. I haven't been able to figure it out unless there was a sympathizer in there who never served. My parents chose it as a familial name that has history in our family (and because they liked it with my first name), but I can't figure out where it started. Since middle names aren't on censuses, it's not clear. I've begun to wonder if it could come from a different source.

I don't know how this discussion came to be part of this thread, but as with anything genealogy-related, I'm game! Middle names weren't solicited information on census forms, but I have frequently seen them included (at the discretion of the enumerator). If you haven't looked at every relevant census year from every relevant family unit, you might still find something. Also, dollars to donuts, if Lee showed up as a name in your family in the late 19th or early 20th century and you have southern roots, it's not a mystery why. I'm amazed it never showed up in my family! We were big on naming folks after Revolutionary and Civil War generals, though, familial relationship or not. And I had a great-uncle who was a Thomas Jefferson Lastname. But nothing nearly as great as...

A few years ago I worked with someone named States -- full name States Rights Lastname. Named after States Rights Gist, a South Carolina figure and Confederate general. His dad was an historian. The name alone makes Gist quite possibly my FAVORITE crazy South Carolinian. Speaking of, I'm obliged to include a peerless quote about my fair state: "South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum." (James Petigru)

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes there is a group of "Celtic languages" with a common root but they are different.  And are usually defined as such:  Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish and Breton.

A local pagan practitioner translates Gaelic mythology.  It's surprising just how difficult it can get, and what annoys her mightily is how often "popular" pagan and witch writers blithely refuse to research the stuff they're writing about and just repeat incorrect meanings or make things up.

I have a hard enough time with English, so I stand in awe of this lady.

I looked up healer in various Celtic languages and the relation to Lee isn't immediately obvious in

In Welsh: iachawr

Manx: slaneyder

But this is close enough I guess:

Irish Gaelic:  fear/bean leighis

Scottish Gaelic: lighiche or leighiche

I sometimes get asked what my name means and I don't really think it means anything so I just make something up. It means,  She That Should Be Obeyed, or "In Five Years She Will Be A Billionaire"

On 10/15/2016 at 8:46 PM, daisyd681 said:

Following the tangent, I have a paternal aunt and uncle who named their son Lee, the only one in the family as far as I know. That the name's popularity comes from the general is really hilarious to me, because up until a couple generations ago, that side of the family was important folks in a part of the country that's VERY proud of being Just Slightly North of the Mason-Dixon line. :pb_lol: 

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I looked up healer in various Celtic languages and the relation to Lee isn't immediately obvious in

In Welsh: iachawr

Manx: slaneyder

But this is close enough I guess:

Irish Gaelic:  fear/bean leighis

Scottish Gaelic: lighiche or leighiche

I sometimes get asked what my name means and I don't really think it means anything so I just make something up. It means,  She That Should Be Obeyed, or "In Five Years She Will Be A Billionaire"

In Scots-Gaelic the word for "medicine" is pronounced similar to "lee" but it's not spelled the same. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:39 AM, Mudgie said:

If the Smith's genuinely believe he is innocent and being persecuted then my heart breaks even more for Katie and her kids and the victims than it already has. If that's the case then I hope she packs up her kids and relocates to Paraguay with the rest of her family. She and her family don't need that level of ridiculous crazy abuse in their lives.

I think they really do believe that. I spent some time tonight watching Captain Bret videos on You Tube-I must be a masochist. One was called "Mr. Safeguard" and has a short scene followed by a harangue about sheltering one's children.  Someone posted a comment that sheltering did not prevent Alan from raping a child. The Captain himself replied to that by citing Exodus 20:16, "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor." So no, they don't believe he did it.

I so hope there is eye witness testimony of what Alan did, from an adult. I doubt even that will convince his parents, though.

5 hours ago, Letgo said:

I think they really do believe that. I spent some time tonight watching Captain Bret videos on You Tube-I must be a masochist. One was called "Mr. Safeguard" and has a short scene followed by a harangue about sheltering one's children.  Someone posted a comment that sheltering did not prevent Alan from raping a child. The Captain himself replied to that by citing Exodus 20:16, "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor." So no, they don't believe he did it.

I so hope there is eye witness testimony of what Alan did, from an adult. I doubt even that will convince his parents, though.

I think there is nothing in the whole wide world that could convince Jacquie or the Captain.

The fact that Captain Bret would not only leave that video (and others) up at YouTube as well as allow comments is just appalling. The parents' support for Alan is clearly blind and total -- no one else matters.

One wonders about the well-being of the minor children still in that household.

Holy carp I can't believe Brett left that video much less responded to comments.  What a sick sick man. I knew he had to believe Alan is innocent but I had a shred of hope.   This is going to destroy his relationship with his grandkids and children.  Divorce your vile husband Katie and never contact the disgusting Smiths again. 

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

The fact that Captain Bret would not only leave that video (and others) up at YouTube as well as allow comments is just appalling. The parents' support for Alan is clearly blind and total -- no one else matters.

Ever since it became apparent the smiths support Alan and most likely think he's innocent, I've worried for those kids. 

First, I bet they don't see much of their older sisters and nieces and nephews now that they have come out against Alan. They must miss them all.

Second, they most likely lost some friends too. I can't imagine that some of the other fundie families will associate with the smiths like they used to.

Third, tensions must've been high, at least at first, in that house after Alan was arrested. 

I am just imagining an isolated stressed out family life and it makes me so sad for those kids. Alan hurt so many people and his parents aren't even recognizing his guilt. I just can't with these people.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

That support comes from their conviction that they are exactly right and perfect and do all the right things and nothing will ever go wrong because they have all the answers direct from god, even answers without questions.

Their unwavering conviction that Alan is being persecuted comes from their impenetrable belief that since they know and do all exactly as god wants nothing will ever be bad or wrong.

It's not so much that their precious boy couldn't commit a heinous crime, it's that they themselves could not possibly raise someone to commit those crimes.

Reality is several layers below their chosen beliefs.

If Alan is guilty, then what they did to raise him and coddle him and the worship of his penis and picking his mindless wife, were not the perfect, god approved, right things to do. And if those weren't the perfect most right and godly things to do, what does that say about their other choices? 

The only videos they removed from the Internet were those that included other families - I have to believe those other families asked them to be removed in order to remove their names from the Smith crazy. The videos that are all about Captain Bret's interpretation of the bible and how to live and how to be perfect for his god are all still up. They're all still up because he does not, cannot, for even one second believe any of it is in any way, shape or form 'wrong'.

Bret is god's handpicked messenger on earth (god apparently forgot about his/her other hand picked messengers or actually wants them all to fight it out or...well, the asshat's on earth weren't chosen by anyone but themselves) and the only way he can live with himself is to believe that. End. Of. Story.

I also think it reaches new levels of abhorrent when you try to capitalize on your son's incarceration. Clearly, they don't really care about him any more than they do reality or the victim(s) or the crime(s) committed. They care about making a buck off the situation with their new prison 'ministry'.

The disgust these people generate in me reaches new levels all the time and I never really thought I could be more appalled.

16 hours ago, JMO said:

Holy carp I can't believe Brett left that video much less responded to comments.  What a sick sick man. I knew he had to believe Alan is innocent but I had a shred of hope.   This is going to destroy his relationship with his grandkids and children.  Divorce your vile husband Katie and never contact the disgusting Smiths again. 

Are Katie and Alan legally married? And even if they aren't will there be some kind of "divorce-ceremony-whatsoever-crap" to break covenant? I clearly don't think that the Mortons would push Katie back to Alan if he is convicted, but what if he walks out of jail as a free man? And even if Alan is convicted, would they want Katie to remarry? And new husband would be financially responsible for her and her brood.

15 hours ago, fundiefan said:

The disgust these people generate in me reaches new levels all the time and I never really thought I could be more appalled.

I've reached this point a few times and always thought "this is it. it can't get worse" But it got worse. And I cringe thinking about that there might be something even worse in store with these folks.

5 hours ago, JMO said:

@ophelia They got legally married about 18 months after their religious ceremony.  It's in a previous thread but someone dug up the record.  

Do they do this so underage girls can "marry?"

@JermajestyDuggar I suspect they needed a legal marriage for some other reason.  Katie was in her early 20's at the time of her wedding.  All of the other kids have been over 18.  Tayte and Martha actually waited until he was 18 to get engaged.  I think it goes back to their dominionism.  Only God is an authority over this, not the government.   They don't need the government to tell them that they are married when only a covenant before God can do that. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived