IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

17 hours ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

Maybe Derrick is holier than the average fundie because he's starting to look like Jesus, so he can deal with it?

Maybe he'll be able to walk on water soon. That would really be something :P

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like swimming in public pools...for many reasons. Germs, fecal matter and yes, even wearing a bathing suit. 

I miss my old house with our own pool so much! Just us, a 6' high wall, locked gates. 

23 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wear what you want to the beach or the pool, but the Duggars flaunt their modesty in an immodest way. JMHO.

This like pretty much everything w/ the Duggars is their bragging about why they do everything. Look how humble we are, look how modest we are, look how generous we are, for the cameras at least.  Fine be modest, do charity work, have  a lot of kids for God, just STFU about it. It makes it very hard to believe you are doing it for anything other than your own self promotion.  

9 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This like pretty much everything w/ the Duggars is their bragging about why they do everything. Look how humble we are, look how modest we are, look how generous we are, for the cameras at least.  Fine be modest, do charity work, have  a lot of kids for God, just STFU about it. It makes it very hard to believe you are doing it for anything other than your own self promotion.  

Especially when the truth about their untruths is discovered *cough, Josh and how JB and M dealt with his first horrible actions* Look at us, y'all, we're special and do things differently. "We never said we're perfect." What they need to do is STFU, go away and find a way to support themselves with the skill sets that they each possess. They are phony and opportunistic.

PS- having lots of unprotected sex and procreating  lots of babies is not a marketable skill set! The world should stop giving them a platform and vessel for obtaining easy money.

Does anyone else get the sense that Jill was just barely hanging on in "Central America" and was probably the chief reason that they fled home to Arkansas after less than a year? All the talk of violence, death, how she barely leaves the house, the Fundie Wife smile seeming more strained than ever...

I think she had a very rosy idea of what doing mission work would be like, and has since had a rude awakening. She went from an extremely sheltered environment where she didn't even leave her family home to go to school, to living with a husband she had known for about a year and an infant in a remote region of a developing country where she doesn't speak the language very well.  I have a feeling she wanted to GTFO almost immediately and found a way to subtly convince her headship that that was best for the family. 

Also, in regards to Jill not being knocked up yet...

I'm from the US but lived in South America for a year, in a much more urban/comfortable setting in a fairly developed, middle income country. Still, I didn't get my period for 6 months despite not being pregnant. When I got back to the States and asked my gyno about it (my period had since returned), she said that it's very common for women to lose their periods when living abroad, especially in particularly foreign/unfamiliar environments. Something about your body being a bit stressed and knowing it's not the right time to have a baby. I had a friend who studied abroad in West Africa and had the same experience. 

49 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Does anyone else get the sense that Jill was just barely hanging on in "Central America" and was probably the chief reason that they fled home to Arkansas after less than a year? All the talk of violence, death, how she barely leaves the house, the Fundie Wife smile seeming more strained than ever...

I think she had a very rosy idea of what doing mission work would be like, and has since had a rude awakening. She went from an extremely sheltered environment where she didn't even leave her family home to go to school, to living with a husband she had known for about a year and an infant in a remote region of a developing country where she doesn't speak the language very well.  I have a feeling she wanted to GTFO almost immediately and found away to subtly convince her headship that that was best for the family. 

Also, in regards to Jill not being knocked up yet...

I'm from the US but lived in South America for a year, in a much more urban/comfortable setting in a fairly developed, middle income country. Still, I didn't get my period for 6 months despite not being pregnant. When I got back to the States and asked my gyno about it (my period had since returned), she said that it's very common for women to lose their periods when living abroad, especially in particularly foreign/unfamiliar environments. Something about your body being a bit stressed and knowing it's not the right time to have a baby. I had a friend who studied abroad in West Africa and had the same experience. 

It's also common to miss periods under stress, for instance lots of women don't get them during basic training.

Jill had a heart for mission, but her idea was playing Lady Bountiful and handing out candy. I don't think her living conditions were particularly austere and she had a lot of family visitors. Plus, they came back twice. Jill had no idea what life with a "real missionary" would be like. SOTDRT fails again.

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jill had a heart for mission, but her idea was playing Lady Bountiful and handing out candy. I don't think her living conditions were particularly austere and she had a lot of family visitors. Plus, they came back twice. Jill had no idea what life with a "real missionary" would be like. SOTDRT fails again.

Prior to this trip the Duggar's idea of a mission was bringing candy and presents to orphans.  Once there, they'd buy food and wander around like santa claus blessing the poor heathens... all while sleeping in a group of 100 and taking selfies.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Oh I agree. Honestly having traveled pretty widely in Latin America (including Central America), all the talk of how DANGEROUS!!!1!!!1!  it is down there really irked me. Crime is a much bigger problem for the actual residents than it is for the random voluntourist interlopers from the US. They're not in the middle of a civil war or a genocide.

I also laughed when she said that if she were in the US they wouldn't be having convos about "what happens if you die." While crime might not be as much of a problem in small town Arkansas, once you have kids most responsible people plan for the unexpected such as a car accident or an unforeseen medical event. That should even be more of a priority when the wife has absolutely no career prospects. 

9 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Oh I agree. Honestly having traveled pretty widely in Latin America (including Central America), all the talk of how DANGEROUS!!!1!!!1!  it is down there really irked me. Crime is a much bigger problem for the actual residents than it is for the random voluntourist interlopers from the US. They're not in the middle of a civil war or a genocide.

I also laughed when she said that if she were in the US they wouldn't be having convos about "what happens if you die." While crime might not be as much of a problem in small town Arkansas, once you have kids most responsible people plan for the unexpected such as a car accident or an unforeseen medical event. That should even be more of a priority when the wife has absolutely no career prospects. 

I dont know the actual crime stats for whatever DANGEROUS area they're in, but I'd be curious to compare it to inner city Chicago where Bin wants to set up shop.

57 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

Touche...YES, exactly. The talk of what would you/ should do, should have happened before they got hitched, especially in light of the no birth control rule. FFS- the Duggars have raised a mostly useless 19. Currently, maybe JD has the skills to be self supporting, less so if you factor in the emotional component involved in living an independent life and having to navigate the planet and make decent, solid decisions.

Jill is just as independently useless in Arkansas as she is in Central America.

Do the Duggars believe in life insurance? 

Hopefully during their talk about what to do if Derick dies, they didn't just come up with "I'll go back and live with Mommy and Daddy and have Jana help raise my 12 kids"

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Prior to this trip the Duggar's idea of a mission was bringing candy and presents to orphans.  Once there, they'd buy food and wander around like santa claus blessing the poor heathens... all while sleeping in a group of 100 and taking selfies.

And, don't forget....."getting to know each other".  Lol

I find it strange when Jill and Derrick act like they're in constant danger. They seem to have a very comfortable life in El Salvador. I understood it slightly more when everything was new and strange to them, but you would think by now they'd have been there long enough that they would have adjusted to the reality of it.

I also agree that it's very strange that they think they wouldn't need to talk about what would happen if one of them died if they were in the United States. People in the US have car accidents or sudden illnesses or yes, even die from violence too. Responsible parents should have plans in place regardless of geography. 

I wonder, though, if that was something the Duggar parents simply didn't model. It would likely have been extremely difficult for another family to keep all nineteen children together if something happened to Jim Bob and Michelle. I can't help but wonder if instead of considering that as a realistic downside of having such a large family, the Duggar parents just... didn't talk about having a contingency plan because doing so would have been uncomfortable.

You'd think it would occur to Derrick, who lost a parent in the United States, though...

Deliberately insinuating yourself into someone else's community and then acting like the people in said community are all out to get you and threatening your way of life is nevah cute. Can they go away? Pretty please?

Jill had been on countless mission trips w/her family over the years. She knew what she was getting into. But Derrick can't be missing that she is not happy. The 'no water for 3 days' thing would have done it for me. I hope they don't go back. Derrick seems to thrive on it tho.

I would think with as many kids as the Duggars have, a contingency plan would be an absolute but then they also think they're invincible because Jesus.

5 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Jill had been on countless mission trips w/her family over the years. She knew what she was getting into. But Derrick can't be missing that she is not happy. The 'no water for 3 days' thing would have done it for me. I hope they don't go back. Derrick seems to thrive on it tho.

Going on a couple week-long guided tours with your entire family and countless other people from home is veeeery different from actually living in that place. No way did Jill have even the slightest clue of what she was getting herself into.

12 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Going on a couple week-long guided tours with your entire family and countless other people from home is veeeery different from actually living in that place. No way did Jill have even the slightest clue of what she was getting herself into.

Jill still has no idea what she's gotten herself into, her life might not be to bad if she keeps it to a handful of kids and they start living fundy light, all the kids and themselves to do more than hump like bunnies and read the bible, again.  Get some real hobby's some friends, veg out with a really good non fundy approved book, watch crappy TV once and a while,  put on shorts and a t shirt and go to the park with your kids and strike up conversations with strangers while your kids all play together.  Don't run over to mommy & daddy's ever day or have them come to you, your adults you are supposed to be on your own. 

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

I find it strange when Jill and Derrick act like they're in constant danger. They seem to have a very comfortable life in El Salvador. I understood it slightly more when everything was new and strange to them, but you would think by now they'd have been there long enough that they would have adjusted to the reality of it.

I also agree that it's very strange that they think they wouldn't need to talk about what would happen if one of them died if they were in the United States. People in the US have car accidents or sudden illnesses or yes, even die from violence too. Responsible parents should have plans in place regardless of geography. 

I wonder, though, if that was something the Duggar parents simply didn't model. It would likely have been extremely difficult for another family to keep all nineteen children together if something happened to Jim Bob and Michelle. I can't help but wonder if instead of considering that as a realistic downside of having such a large family, the Duggar parents just... didn't talk about having a contingency plan because doing so would have been uncomfortable.

You'd think it would occur to Derrick, who lost a parent in the United States, though...

Well, only that when they are in the states, they are in AR, so next to her family....less of an issue than being by yourself in a country where you don't speak the language very well, and outside communication is hit or miss.

55 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Changing topics slightly (just because):

image.png

Looks like Danny Boy will be a married man by the end of November.

I wonder if JinJer will beat them to the alter.  I'm sure the 4 are coordinating so D,J & I can be at both.

5 hours ago, karen77 said:

Well, only that when they are in the states, they are in AR, so next to her family....less of an issue than being by yourself in a country where you don't speak the language very well, and outside communication is hit or miss.

I guess, but... just speaking from personal experience, I've been to ten countries, several of which were not exactly tourist destinations. I have been in actual life-threatening danger three times in my life - two of which were within ten miles of my house in the US and Canada respectively, and one of which was at a popular American tourist beach. I was also in an active shooter lockdown situation once, also in the United States.

I'm not saying that Jill and Derrick haven't taken on any extra risk by moving to El Salvador. (Although I think their descriptions of the risk are wildly overblown based on the lifestyle they have shown.) What I am saying is that it doesn't make sense to treat the United States as this danger-free paradise where there's no risk of violence and you don't even have to wash your vegetables. Planning almost certainly looks different for the Dillards in the US than in El Salvador, but that doesn't mean they don't need to do any.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived