IGNORED

Let's discuss fundamentalism in the UK!

blessalessi

1 minute ago, caszandra said:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/03/these-american-teens-are-coming-to-help-glasgow-and-scotland-isnt-happy-5857443/

Two Christian teenagers from Hope Scouts want to come and "save" Glasgow from its self, apparently Glasgow is a city of industrial wasteland don't ya know. They want to spend two weeks cleaning up, help with a reconstruction project and share a message of hope and enthusiasm (code for the Gospel?) with local youths, they seem to think this will turn the 'situation' around *snort*. Good luck with that, they will be laughed right out of town (or worse) if they start that shite.

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

In my experience, certain areas of Glasgow need a lot of things, but more religion is not amongst those! I can vividly imagine those two kids being greeted with the Glasgow equivalent of "I'm not interested in anything you say, would you kindly leave me alone, please", which to my knowledge is "get tae fuck".

Also, what good is two weeks going to do, in terms of cleaning up? These two kids basically want a feel-good holiday that they can brag about. Well, if they want that, I volunteer my communal backyard for cleaning up, weeding, and there's a wall that needs painting. They're welcome to preach at heathen me in return, if they leave the neighbours and everyone else alone. :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, samurai_sarah said:

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

In my experience, certain areas of Glasgow need a lot of things, but more religion is not amongst those! I can vividly imagine those two kids being greeted with the Glasgow equivalent of "I'm not interested in anything you say, would you kindly leave me alone, please", which to my knowledge is "get tae fuck".

Also, what good is two weeks going to do, in terms of cleaning up? These two kids basically want a feel-good holiday that they can brag about. Well, if they want that, I volunteer my communal backyard for cleaning up, weeding, and there's a wall that needs painting. They're welcome to preach at heathen me in return, if they leave the neighbours and everyone else alone. :)

Glasgow definitely doesn't need more religion and certainly not their kind of religion. I would think that "get tae fuck" would be the politest way they would be told to beat it, I can think of some more not safe for delicate Christian ears phrases.

Two weeks is a drop in the ocean of what some areas need, although there is regeneration happening in the city lots more needs done and not two teenagers who think they will solve all the problems themselves. Well if you want them you can have them, at least it would save them from a bunch of Glasgow teenagers taking the piss out of them! They wouldn't know what hit them if that happened :laughing-rofl:

Just now, caszandra said:

Glasgow definitely doesn't need more religion and certainly not their kind of religion. I would think that "get tae fuck" would be the politest way they would be told to beat it, I can think of some more not safe for delicate Christian ears phrases.

Two weeks is a drop in the ocean of what some areas need, although there is regeneration happening in the city lots more needs done and not two teenagers who think they will solve all the problems themselves. Well if you want them you can have them, at least it would save them from a bunch of Glasgow teenagers taking the piss out of them! They wouldn't know what hit them if that happened :laughing-rofl:

Eh, I'll take one for the team, and my communal backyard. :pb_lol:

Regeneration is a difficult issue as it is, and certainly doesn't require a two-week stint from two proselytising teens. People like those two teens come around thinking they can solve everything within two weeks, just by showing up, doing a bit of work and spouting Jesus. That's not how it works. There's plenty of Jesus in Scotland already!

Two weeks? Not going to make one bit of a difference. They'll just come across as arrogant do-gooders and, I agree that "get tae fuck" is probably the politest thing they'll hear! :pb_biggrin:

I saw an article floating around about tomorrows election. A Free Church minister called the SNP satanic and urged his flock not to vote for them.

47 minutes ago, brokenminded said:

I saw an article floating around about tomorrows election. A Free Church minister called the SNP satanic and urged his flock not to vote for them.

So who are they supposed to vote for instead?

23 hours ago, caszandra said:

Surely 'get tae fuck, by the way' would be most polite?

Has anyone been watching The Secret on ITV about Colin Howell? Apparently murdering your wife and your lover's husband is less of a sin than divorce.

9 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Surely 'get tae fuck, by the way' would be most polite?

Yep, adding the by the way would surely make it more polite.

Haven't seen any of The Secret, is it any good? Will check and see if I can get it on catch up/on demand.

5 minutes ago, caszandra said:

Yep, adding the by the way would surely make it more polite.

Haven't seen any of The Secret, is it any good? Will check and see if I can get it on catch up/on demand.

The secret started out brilliantly last Friday. Hope it's as good all the way through. Does anyone know how many parts ?

2 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

The secret started out brilliantly last Friday. Hope it's as good all the way through. Does anyone know how many parts ?

That's good it only started last Friday as it will be available on catch up, just checked my TV guide and it's on this Fri and next Fri but not sure after that.

21 minutes ago, caszandra said:

That's good it only started last Friday as it will be available on catch up, just checked my TV guide and it's on this Fri and next Fri but not sure after that.

Thanks Caszandra. I've set it to record. 

James Nesbit is perfect for the role. Brooding but  humourus (sp?)at the same time.

After watching the first episode Its easy to imagine what poor Anna Duggar has had to go through whilst living in the girls bedroom,

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

After watching the first episode Its easy to imagine what poor Anna Duggar has had to go through whilst living in the girls bedroom.

Yes the marriage counselling/blaming was awkward and all too believable. 

And, of course, in real life Colin Howell had 10 children- keeping the oul quiver well filled.

I spent some time looking at the Sunrise Christian School site this morning. Good grief!! I'm surprised the girls aren't in long skirts, although maybe it's impractical for primary school kids. If it was a secondary school, they would be. A girl I knew went to a school where the girls wore ankle-length skirts, and it wasn't even religious. I have no idea why.

@EmainMacha and @Gobsmacked, just watched EP1 this morning. James Nesbit is brilliant in the role, he comes across so creepy and brooding. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it now. Gobsmacked it is a 4 part series in all.

@mango_fandango, I know a few private schools (not religious) in or near Glasgow have long skirts in the uniform. I don't understand how the government let that school and other religious ones like it get away with teaching creationism, I'm sure I read an article a while back that said schools in England and poss Wales weren't allowed to teach that anymore.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:28 PM, brokenminded said:

Well the minister really made a whole lot of difference to the result..... Not!

Edit - It wasn't till watching the results coming in this morning that I knew there was a Scottish Christian political party. I take it that it must of been them the minister wanted his flock to vote for.

On 6.5.2016 at 6:23 PM, caszandra said:

Well the minister really made a whole lot of difference to the result..... Not!

Edit - It wasn't till watching the results coming in this morning that I knew there was a Scottish Christian political party. I take it that it must of been them the minister wanted his flock to vote for.

I read a bit around their website. They're anti-abortion, anti-EU, anti-immigration, antt-marriage-equality, and don't seem to understand much about international relations, economics and, uh, politics.

The reason I say they don't know much about politics, is because they ramble on about the "UK Constitution", and how it needs to be restored and affirmed. That kind of talk is taken straight from the USA. It doesn't apply to the UK. The UK doesn't have a constitution. It has constitutional documents, but it isn't codified. It can constantly change, depending on statues, treaties or court rulings. There is nothing to restore!

Further gems:

They think that the education system in the UK is "communistic [sic]" and has been "eroded by the secular and multifaith agendas". Plus they believe that the education system teaches the "LGBTQ agenda".

And they're creationists: "As education teaches critical thinking and encourages questions, so the Science curriculum should include the evidence of creation and design in the Universe, presenting evolution as an alternative hypothesis rather than falsely depicting it as a proven fact."

There's also this point about discipline in schools: "Support the use of reasonable force by teachers to maintain discipline in schools."

About the economy: "Resist the interference of equalities legislation upon business decisions and its effective constructive dismissal of employees."

They also seem to feel nostalgic about the Empire. Oh, and they really, really don't like the SNP!

The impression I came away with is that a couple of dedicated Daily Mail readers put their heads together in a church meeting, and wrote down all their gripes and grievances. Of course that's fine, and everyone can do that, but in order to avoid embarrassment as a political party that wants to be taken seriously, they should have someone check for the most glaring factual errors.

20 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I read a bit around their website. They're anti-abortion, anti-EU, anti-immigration, antt-marriage-equality, and don't seem to understand much about international relations, economics and, uh, politics.

The reason I say they don't know much about politics, is because they ramble on about the "UK Constitution", and how it needs to be restored and affirmed. That kind of talk is taken straight from the USA. It doesn't apply to the UK. The UK doesn't have a constitution. It has constitutional documents, but it isn't codified. It can constantly change, depending on statues, treaties or court rulings. There is nothing to restore!

Further gems:

They think that the education system in the UK is "communistic [sic]" and has been "eroded by the secular and multifaith agendas". Plus they believe that the education system teaches the "LGBTQ agenda".

And they're creationists: "As education teaches critical thinking and encourages questions, so the Science curriculum should include the evidence of creation and design in the Universe, presenting evolution as an alternative hypothesis rather than falsely depicting it as a proven fact."

There's also this point about discipline in schools: "Support the use of reasonable force by teachers to maintain discipline in schools."

About the economy: "Resist the interference of equalities legislation upon business decisions and its effective constructive dismissal of employees."

They also seem to feel nostalgic about the Empire. Oh, and they really, really don't like the SNP!

The impression I came away with is that a couple of dedicated Daily Mail readers put their heads together in a church meeting, and wrote down all their gripes and grievances. Of course that's fine, and everyone can do that, but in order to avoid embarrassment as a political party that wants to be taken seriously, they should have someone check for the most glaring factual errors.

Um, I don't know where to start with this. Seriously, the kindest thing I can think of to say about that right now is, what a bunch of wankers.

2 hours ago, caszandra said:

Um, I don't know where to start with this. Seriously, the kindest thing I can think of to say about that right now is, what a bunch of wankers.

They really are! Hardcore persecution complex, see themselves beleaguered by "aggressive homosexuals and Muslims", and even their policies about laws mainly deal with eroding equality and parental rights. Example: "Clarify and correct the anti-smacking law to shift the balance of power in the home from children back to parents."

The most bizarre thing I've come across so far is that they don't seem to understand the highway code. Yes, this turned into a total rabbit hole for me! There is so much more WTFery, but I'll stop. These people are just bonkers.

7 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Example: "Clarify and correct the anti-smacking law to shift the balance of power in the home from children back to parents."

Translation - I want to beat the shit out of my kids and you can't stop me.

8 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

The most bizarre thing I've come across so far is that they don't seem to understand the highway code.

There must be a few who have been banned from driving by now if they don't understand the rules of the road or how do any of them pass their theory test in the first place if they don't understand the highway code?

11 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Yes, this turned into a total rabbit hole for me! There is so much more WTFery, but I'll stop. These people are just bonkers.

Right, I'm going to head down this rabbit hole later when I have a few hours to devote to it, please keep the rescue ferrets on standby.

21 minutes ago, caszandra said:

Translation - I want to beat the shit out of my kids and you can't stop me.

There must be a few who have been banned from driving by now if they don't understand the rules of the road or how do any of them pass their theory test in the first place if they don't understand the highway code?

Right, I'm going to head down this rabbit hole later when I have a few hours to devote to it, please keep the rescue ferrets on standby.

That's what a lot of their policies boil down to. Only, they call it parental rights.

The thing about the highway code for them is that they don't understand national speed limits. They want variable speed limits for accident-prone spots. Uh, that's got nothing to do with national speed limits! Besides that's already being done.

Anyway, I'll keep the rescue ferrets primed and ready for you. Good luck! :)

@samurai_sarah Save a ferret for me.  I intend to go down this rabbit hole later today - or perhaps I should wait until @caszandra has returned safely.  The ferrets are very busy with @Destiny and @samira_catlover today.

Are these people serious?:shock:

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

@samurai_sarah Save a ferret for me.  I intend to go down this rabbit hole later today - or perhaps I should wait until @caszandra has returned safely.  The ferrets are very busy with @Destiny and @samira_catlover today.

Are these people serious?:shock:

I have ordered extra backup, and several ferrets have agreed to do overtime. It's all cleared with their Union rep. :D

Yes, these people are serious. They are right-wingers, led on a national level by Jeff Green.

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I'll join in with the ferret keeping. I'm sure you could use some help, @samurai_sarah!

Much appreciated! This is one huge rabbit hole, and it's just led me to another: The UK Christian People's Alliance.

I'll dive in, once I get back from sitting in the sunshine. Poor ferrets... :D

Archived