IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 2

Coconut Flan

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really did think the nail art was sweet. And homemade gifts mean more to me than store bought.

That being said, I love my husband, but he is oblivious sometimes. For my 28th birthday, he bought me a French silk pie...and then proceeded to eat half of it before I even got home.

18 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I really did think the nail art was sweet. And homemade gifts mean more to me than store bought.

That being said, I love my husband, but he is oblivious sometimes. For my 28th birthday, he bought me a French silk pie...and then proceeded to eat half of it before I even got home.

:56247958035f1_32(18):Oh my, my husband would at least wait til I got home to devour it. But my story may be worse and it's something I still give my husband crap for. On my 21st birthday we went out to eat in another town and then decided to explore the mall. We left with a $300+ watch. For him. I remember still being tipsy from enjoying my legal drinks and just pacing in circles while he dealt with the salesman. 

Oh yes, I know those feelings all too well.

For that 28th birthday, my husband got me an "over the hill" 40th birthday card, and simply crossed out 40 and wrote in 28. Mr. Museum, he's a barrel of laughs, that he is.

Also, he signed it, "Your fiance, in case you forgot."

I dvr'd Counting On. After reading your recaps last week, I didn't bother watching. 

I'm watching this week's episode now and oh my lawwwd, Jinger! I feel intense second hand embarrassment watching her. "Baaaaabe!" Jeremy seems nice to me, but Jinger is driving me nuts. I hate the way the Duggar females gaze at their men ALL THE TIME. 

And now Jinger shares the "huh huh" laugh that Jessa does. 

This show is so boring.

I'm sure JB doesn't want Jinger to go to the big bad city. Look what happened to Josh. So much easier to blame the environment than your poor parenting.

4 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

As to the bolded, perhaps this is why JB was even more of a dick than usual.  His fragile ego cannot handle the fact that he's becoming increasingly irrelevant to some of his adult children's lives and his vision of having every single in-law come live on his compound and be under his thumb isn't working out as planned. 

Another Steel Magnolia's  scene comes to mind. When Shelby tells her mother she knows she's mad because she doesn't call the shots any more..... Same thing here. Derrick plays the role of "young JB douchebag" for this series, but he's not. Jeremy V isn't either. Bin....he doesn't stand a chance, but they are still living apart from both sets of parents--that's good.  When the plug is pulled some of these couples will choose to live a normal Conservative lifestyle. Ditto the Bates kids.

FYI as of earlier today the episodes are on youtube, but everyone's voices sound odder than normal

1 hour ago, mizandry said:

Well, I started watching... oh my god their constant eye fucking in front of the parents is making me SO uncomfortable. :tw_bawling::tw_bawling:

I honestly almost posted today that Jinger's I want to fuck you eyes are the new hand sex.

Jim Bob upped his douchebaggery a thousand fold in this episode. 

Can TLC drop Counting On and just make a spin off show for Michelle's green shirt?

I refuse to watch the show... Does anyone have a screenshot of this nail art thing Jinge made for Jer? 

Nevermind... I found it. Thanks Google Gods. I agree with the post up thread- Texas should be placed below Arkansas. Of course, Jinge probably doesn't know that because of her SOTDRT faux education. 

image.jpeg

20 hours ago, TheSilverTongue said:

I wrote a summary of Episode 4 for reddit, but I'm posting it here too in case anyone else wants a recap

Jeremy and Jinger

BAAABE

So far in the show, they’ve been courting for only 3 weeks but Jinger is already heading off to Laredo Texas to meet her man’s parents. She and her brothers already calls them her in-laws. The “inlaws” seem pretty chill. The mother even wears actual pants! Her nail wall hanging art is pretty cool though. Jeremy shows off his apartment Jill is so fake about complimenting it. Jeremy plays a romantic song he sang and recorded on his phone and even puts his ARM AROUND HER SHOULDER. Jinger even puts her head on his shoulder. They visit downtown Laredo and go into pawn shops. Jim Bob acts like a total loser and interrogates Jeremy about how much money he makes. Jeremy’s parents have the tact to not point out that Jinger is completely unemployable. Jeremy shows off the tiny church where he preaches. Even Jinger admitted that being in front of her parents for intimate good byes was super awkward.

Jinger has gone completely bonkers to the point where she can’t do laundry. It makes me wonder how she would keep a job.  

Jill and Derrick

Being a missionary apparently only consists of giving like 2-3 sermons a week. Jill invites some women who are her neighbors for a casual Bible study. Jill can still barely speak Spanish. The pastor’s wife who shows up seems genuinely helpful and counsels women through marital problems, but Jill just sits there and looks uncomfortable.

Joy and John David

Joy is fast becoming the coolest Duggar. John David (another cool Duggar) teaches her to fly planes. John David seems like the only Duggar who could get a real job and support himself. I really hope Joy sticks with it and gets her license.

Joy, Jed, and Jere

The Duggars hold a “graduation” party for some of the kids. They get fake diplomas for their fake high school experience. Jana sets the whole party up for a couple hundred people. The boys say they want to flip cars. Joy doesn’t talk about her dreams beyond helping the kids, but maybe the pilot’s license will work out for her.  

Sorry fundie education doesn't equal diploma. Let's see them pass some AP,CLEP,SAT,ACT, state tests. 

And I'm still iffy about Jermey. But I like that JB hates him. Don't let Jim control you Jeremy. 

I think the way she arranged the states is fine. Because of where the cities are, I think if they Arkansas was on top maybe the white string path through would be awkward and messy. 

Jeremy still irks me in a way I can't place but his reaction to the art was nice. This is also just my impression of his on-TV personality.

1 hour ago, divadivine said:

I refuse to watch the show... Does anyone have a screenshot of this nail art thing Jinge made for Jer? 

Nevermind... I found it. Thanks Google Gods. I agree with the post up thread- Texas should be placed below Arkansas. Of course, Jinge probably doesn't know that because of her SOTDRT faux education. 

image.jpeg

As an educator, this lack of geographical knowledge makes me cringe. As a crafter....nope, still can't get past the geography :(

2 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I honestly almost posted today that Jinger's I want to fuck you eyes are the new hand sex.

35ji25f.png 24wc8bc.png

Seriously though.

Spoiler

The video keeps buffering for me, so I'm just taking it in small doses throughout the day (when I'm not doing better things with my spare time)... but it works out, cause of the still shots so far:

benomh.pngben shut up.png

haa.png 

aaystx.png

Also, John David totally said, "Yeah cause I'm gonna check that dude out" in reference to Joy courting during their TH bit, and I know what he meant, but... omg that came out beautifully. It cracks me up when homophobes unwittingly say things that end up sounding really gay.

7 minutes ago, mizandry said:

35ji25f.png 24wc8bc.png

Seriously though.

Reveal hidden contents

The video keeps buffering for me, so I'm just taking it in small doses throughout the day (when I'm not doing better things with my spare time)... but it works out, cause of the still shots so far:

benomh.pngben shut up.png

haa.png 

aaystx.png

Also, John David totally said, "Yeah cause I'm gonna check that dude out" in reference to Joy courting during their TH bit, and I know what he meant, but... omg that came out beautifully. It cracks me up when homophobes unwittingly say things that end up sounding really gay.

No more 3 second side hug. Go Jermey 

Oh my gosh. I was in a long distance relationship for a couple of YEARS! 2 weeks is not 2 months, people! And I was in school full time and also has a part time job trying to get into college at the time!

1 hour ago, Showtunesgirl said:

As an educator, this lack of geographical knowledge makes me cringe. As a crafter....nope, still can't get past the geography :(

Yep. Here's an idea, use a bigger piece of wood and/or a longer thread. I can not get past the geography either.

35 minutes ago, bucherwurm said:

Oh my gosh. I was in a long distance relationship for a couple of YEARS! 2 weeks is not 2 months, people! And I was in school full time and also has a part time job trying to get into college at the time!

It's Duggar Time. 2 weeks is like 2 years.

Unfortunately I don't know how to do "screen snips" but I really enjoyed Jessa's bitchface as Ben explained how everyone makes their own courtship rules, and her terse "mm hmm" response when he asked if she agreed. I think she may be a tad jealous of Jeremy's refusal to worship at JB's feet. Sorry about the screen snip thing if that's not right, I'm at the tail end of the "photostream" generation. Oh no no no. Jana loved being homeschooled and Joy's plans are to help Jana raise the kids. I know this is how they were raised but they've been on TV for years and travelled quite a bit. They're both lovely young women, a shame that they can't see that there is more out there. I like John David and hope he's as nice and genuine as he appears to be. If there is any hope for Jana and joy, I think JD is the one who will step up. 

Oh my,  I broke down and watched it.  I really do hope that the independence we are seeing from Jeremy is genuine and that it isn't just an act for 'drama' on the show.  I really hope that he does ignore JB and his obnoxious chatter.  He did genuinely look horrified during the lunch when JB started talking about money and finances.    Jinger's reaction to his apartment was a bit over the top, but it was a cute little place and perfect for a bachelor or newly married guy.  I can't imagine that he makes much $ as a pastor in that little church.  There really is no reason why Jinger couldn't get a job at a coffee shop or something to help augment their finances.  Even Michelle worked at some point in time in the beginning. 

I was sad to see Joy, who really does a spark to her, just end up saying she was going to stay home and help with the kids.  It was depressing and why the idiots who love these people can't see that is beyond me.   

A few random thoughts about the show:

• Michelle even looked embarrassed at JB's lack of tact
  • It does seem as if Jinger and Jeremy have set their own rules and clearly were allowed more contact than the others.  They were very affectionate together and they didn't seem to care that it clearly made JB and M uncomfortable.  It makes me laugh to think how Michelle freaked out when Ben and Jessa held hands during a prayer at a restaurant the day before he planned to propose.  And here was Jinger practically sitting on Jeremy's lap, in front of them.  Go Jinger!

• I wish I was a dermatologist, because all of these kids need help with their skin.  I am not making fun, because I struggled with mine too at their age, but their's looks untreated to me.  The heavy makeup on the girls doesn't help, but even the boys, except for JD and Jer have issues.
  • JD is fast becoming the hero of the show.  He seems to have some personality and seems to be a decent big brother.  And while his education certainly was lacking, I think he has an innate intelligence that has allowed him to pick up many things quickly.  Jana seems to have that as well, withing the confines of her gender role, but she certainly seems much more self-sufficient than the rest of the girls. 
  • JB constantly hugging his daughter after she hugs her fiance is so odd.  It looked very possessive.
  • I really hope that JD breaks away.  He has the ability and the advantages of having more freedom than the others.  He just needs to do it.  If he did, I really think some of the others would follow suit.

I'm sure Jinger was genuinely thrilled with Jeremy's apartment. Has she ever seen a single person's place before? Everyone she knows lives with their parents until marriage. In her family, you live at home until you marry and then live next door in one of daddy's houses.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:37 PM, TheSilverTongue said:

I wrote a summary of Episode 4 for reddit, but I'm posting it here too in case anyone else wants a recap

Jeremy and Jinger

BAAABE

So far in the show, they’ve been courting for only 3 weeks but Jinger is already heading off to Laredo Texas to meet her man’s parents. She and her brothers already calls them her in-laws. The “inlaws” seem pretty chill. The mother even wears actual pants! Her nail wall hanging art is pretty cool though. Jeremy shows off his apartment Jill is so fake about complimenting it. Jeremy plays a romantic song he sang and recorded on his phone and even puts his ARM AROUND HER SHOULDER. Jinger even puts her head on his shoulder. They visit downtown Laredo and go into pawn shops. Jim Bob acts like a total loser and interrogates Jeremy about how much money he makes. Jeremy’s parents have the tact to not point out that Jinger is completely unemployable. Jeremy shows off the tiny church where he preaches. Even Jinger admitted that being in front of her parents for intimate good byes was super awkward.

Jinger has gone completely bonkers to the point where she can’t do laundry. It makes me wonder how she would keep a job.  

Jill and Derrick

Being a missionary apparently only consists of giving like 2-3 sermons a week. Jill invites some women who are her neighbors for a casual Bible study. Jill can still barely speak Spanish. The pastor’s wife who shows up seems genuinely helpful and counsels women through marital problems, but Jill just sits there and looks uncomfortable.

Joy and John David

Joy is fast becoming the coolest Duggar. John David (another cool Duggar) teaches her to fly planes. John David seems like the only Duggar who could get a real job and support himself. I really hope Joy sticks with it and gets her license.

Joy, Jed, and Jere

The Duggars hold a “graduation” party for some of the kids. They get fake diplomas for their fake high school experience. Jana sets the whole party up for a couple hundred people. The boys say they want to flip cars. Joy doesn’t talk about her dreams beyond helping the kids, but maybe the pilot’s license will work out for her.  

Ooh, is there a Duggar subreddit?  I looked everywhere and couldn't find one.

I can't sleep so I sat through it just now.  Didn't help, although it should have.

I can only watch these shows if I focus on trying to look for genuine moments among all the scripted and staged BS.

Jill was genuinely bewildered sitting among the women with the lazy, cheating husbands who can't talk about it at home because there are so extended family members around all the time.  It must've been the language barrier, because we know she's seen this someplace before.   (and she STILL can't communicate in Spanish? Jesus, Izzy will be able to tutor her soon.)

Jeremy genuinely dislikes JB.  I can't tell what JB thinks about Jeremy because he's completely phony, but Jeremy seems disgusted by him.  I hate seeing anyone rush into marriage just to escape home, but I have to agree with Jinger here - fast track all the way and figure out the rest later. 

The boy twins turned out cute.  Has James been permanently locked in the prayer closet?  Haven't seen him since Jill left home and even Justin got a line tonight.

I really think Jill's lack of progress with Spanish isn't necessarily lack of intelligence or discipline (although her "educational" background didn't exactly give her a head start) but has a lot to do with her emotional state. On the one hand she know she's supposed to joyfully submit to the life the Lord has laid out for her, as she's been taught. But in reality - she's in a place she's clearly miserable and out of her element in. No amount of effort to learn the language can overcome the true apathy to it that must be deep inside of her. She does NOT want to be there, so there is no true enthusiasm to learn the language. She's just getting by right now but not thriving in that environment - I think Derrick really cares about her, but perhaps doesn't quite get that yet. I can't rag on Jill too much for her poor Spanish when this is my read on it, personally. Like all of the Duggar kids, minors or adults, I feel bad for the stunted growth and lost opportunities in their lives. And the complete loss of any authenticity of emotion and expression. This plays into everything for them, not the least of which is Jill's Central American Struggle.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived