IGNORED

Ex-JW does Reddit AMA

lilwriter85

One thing that really pisses me off about the JW's is that they can't accept a blood product at the hospital making it harder for the staff to treat that person. The organization (not going to call it a church) would rather someone die than receive lifesaving treatment, and that includes little ones, older children and adults.

Grow a brain, God doesn't want you to die for a cult.

12 minutes ago, Free2BeMe said:

One thing that really pisses me off about the JW's is that they can't accept a blood product at the hospital making it harder for the staff to treat that person. The organization (not going to call it a church) would rather someone die than receive lifesaving treatment, and that includes little ones, older children and adults.

Grow a brain, God doesn't want you to die for a cult.

I don't agree with their views on treatment and I think in some cases it rises to the level of a criminal act.  However, no one should ever make any medical decision based on how convenient (or not) it is for the medical staff.  It's should never be a factor. 

Best interest of the patient - period.  And if adults are making conscious decisions for themselves they get decide how their religion factors into their best interests.  

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't agree with their views on treatment and I think in some cases it rises to the level of a criminal act.  However, no one should ever make any medical decision based on how convenient (or not) it is for the medical staff.  It's should never be a factor. 

Best interest of the patient - period.  And if adults are making conscious decisions for themselves they get decide how their religion factors into their best interests.  

Yes, that's what I meant I just said it wrong.

I guess I just don't understand why someone won't take the plain commonsense route.

9 minutes ago, Free2BeMe said:

Yes, that's what I meant I just said it wrong.

I guess I just don't understand why someone won't take the plain commonsense route.

I don't either.  That isn't one part of my belief system that could override the need to take advantage of the best medical options available if someone I loved was sick.  

I do understand people (unrelated to faith) opting out of some types of treatment and making the call of when to prolong life in the face of intense suffering is such a personal decision I try not to judge because we're all going to draw that line differently.

But I've never understood this type of reasoning.  My mom had the most genuine and unshakeable faith in God of anyone I'd ever met, and was a firm believer that He worked through science.  She'd pray for us when we were sick...after she got us to the doctor.

A blood transfusion is what woke one of my stepdaughters up about the JWs. Both of them were raised JW by their mother (Mr. xtian was never one). One stepdaughter left the JWs at about 20 when she met her now husband. She's a nurse and evidently got over her aversion to transfusions. The other one stayed "faithful" until Mr. Xtian had major surgery and had two transfusions. Both were for blood loss subsequent to extensive surgery. Once she realized that there was nothing else that would have worked, she started waking up. Unfortunately, both have gone the fundie-lite route...but...I will say it's better than the whole JW cult trip. 

While there are many things I don't agree with when it comes to JW not getting a blood transfusion if necessary is the one I cannot understand. I have had blood transfusions after a surgery (where an idiot doctor forgot to close one of the blood vessels and still acted like a smug idiot afterwards) and after both my births. I would likely have survived without blood all these times but it would have made for a much harder and longer recovery. 

Archived