IGNORED

Has Sarah ever been alone?

skrmom

On September 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

Why does DaddyDearest not follow this scripture and follow the lead of Jesus that alone time is good? (Others that are more bible savvy than me I am sure can quote scripture and verse. I remember the stories, never had much use to know the exact scripture and verse- more use has come from the meaning of the story.)

My guess would be that Stevehovah > Jehovah

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2016 at 1:26 AM, CelticGoddess said:

Has she even had cold pizza?  Good hangover food.   Oh wait, she would never have a  hangover!

Her whole life seems like a hangover, without any of the fun.

I think, if you can name specific times that Sarah was alone (ie. writing her books, driving to someone's house etc) then no. Not really. Sarah has never been alone. Not in her whole life. Not for any significant amount of time and certainly not long enough to have a good ol' mull and make a decision about something. Anything. Most assuredly not long enough to wonder if this is really living.   Just the way her lord and master likes it. :my_rolleyes:

I would not be surprised if Sarah has an anxiety disorder and anbit of agoraphobia with her upbringing. Didn't someone say she was anxious as a child? I want to say I remember reading that somewhere. When Steve and Teri are gone, will she be able to stay in that house alone and do what's needed in normal daily routines without someone with her? I'm sure one of the brothers will take her in as a live in nanny or whatever....so sad. 

On 10/6/2016 at 11:17 AM, Coconutwater said:

I would not be surprised if Sarah has an anxiety disorder and anbit of agoraphobia with her upbringing. Didn't someone say she was anxious as a child? I want to say I remember reading that somewhere. When Steve and Teri are gone, will she be able to stay in that house alone and do what's needed in normal daily routines without someone with her? I'm sure one of the brothers will take her in as a live in nanny or whatever....so sad. 

Don't worry, she'll have her two sisters for company. 

On 9/7/2016 at 9:47 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Being an introvert in a fundamentalist family or in very group-oriented cultures must be exhausting.

As an introvert, this would be my personal hell. 

On 9/18/2016 at 0:02 AM, alba said:

This light-hearted discussion about fast food actually reveals something incredibly sad about fundie kidults. More sad than never tasting cold Chinese food, I mean.

For most of us, getting too many takeaways and not getting dressed till midday isn't just representative of the freedom that Poor Sarah lacks, but also the opportunity to learn. Fundie kidults are expected to be perfect adults by 18 (or earlier!), but they're deprived of the chance to become adults (hence kidults). There's no eating too much pizza, feeling sick, and learning to cook, or spending all day in your pyjamas and deciding that feels kind of gross so you should probably shower; these kidults are *taught* but they never *experience*. So they get up, shower and get dressed every morning to go have a homemade breakfast, because their parents told them to.

And they are also never allowed to make mistakes. From simple ones to life-changing ones.

Tried to make a meal and then something happened and you ruined it by accident (mistook sugar for flour, burned it, the top popped off the garlic salt and the entire container is now in the soup, just to name a few of my mistakes) and now you have to order take out or make everyone a sandwich.

Ate too much sugar in one day and now you're sick and sleep is hard.

Read too many awful things on the internet and now you're mega anxious.

Got into a fight with a friend, said hurtful things in the process, and now you have to apologize honestly and learn to gain their trust back.

Said hurtful things to someone without knowing it and now you have to examine your long-held beliefs and how they can impact others negatively.

Crossed your own personal boundaries in some way and now have to decide what to do.

From my fundie-snarking persona to my educator's persona, I am seeing a trend of parents insulating their children so they can never make a mistake and are terrified of making mistakes. And let me tell you, it's not rearing very well-adjusted children. At 25, I see the effects of it in myself and in my peers almost every day. And I am nervous it's only getting worse.

• 1 month later...

So behind on the airline talk, but some airlines do have "unaccompanied adult" programs. So they could've done that, though I don't believe she flew alone. 

I also feel like her writing alone was probably monitored by one of those video baby monitors or something :pb_lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

For us it seems horrific to never be alone and we'd go crazy living that way but it's all Sarah's ever known. I think she's so conditioned to never be alone that she probably finds it quite distressing to be left on her own. It's a bit like how the Duggar girls keep drifting back to the TTH after they're married, because they don't know how to just be alone.

I was quite old before I spent time in a house alone for a long period of time. Not because my parents were sheltering me, but because my dad worked from home. If there was an emergency; I could just go downstairs.

It was disconcerting the first time my parents went on a trip without me, and I was way more used to being alone than Sarah is. I mean, I got used to it because I'm a fairly decently adjusted person. I was also way WAY younger than Poor Sarah, who is about a decade older than I am anyway.,

On 9/18/2016 at 1:26 AM, CelticGoddess said:

Has she even had cold pizza?  Good hangover food.   Oh wait, she would never have a  hangover!

The cold pizza/hangover food brings back a wonderful memory.  Well the hangovers bring back awful memories, but...anyway.  When I was young, I would roll out of bed after a night out, and drag myself to the kitchen.  My mother would make the deep dish Sicilian pizzas and I would grab them out of the fridge and eat them without heating them up.  My father thought it was the most disgusting thing to have that as soon as I got up, but my mother would tell him to be quiet and leave me alone.  She would say "There are more vitamins in my pizzas than in breakfast foods!"  Nothing brings an Italian mother more joy than people enjoying her food.  To this day, my mother still says "Remember when you kids were young and you used to eat the pizza when you got up?"  That memory still brings her joy. 

I realised the other day I haven't been separated from my parents for a full 3 weeks yet.  Which means I've been around them every month of my life!  And I doubt that's changing soon.

On 14/09/2016 at 10:28 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:
I want this printed in a lovely, large font... And I'll hang it in my bathroom. Add a bit of twisted humor to my life, and confuse the shit out of guests.

Well, since you ARE hanging it in your bathroom...

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist [emoji23])

On 9/1/2016 at 8:26 PM, MissManners said:

I seem to recall that Steve ordered the women to take walks as groups and to pray or sing hymns etc... while they did so. If I'm wrong let me know. Being alone must be such a pleasure after all the forced togetherness.  I know a women much like Sarah, SAHD but has a real job and did go to college, but always with her parents and never does anything alone. When talking to her about living on her own and getting a real life she couldn't understand how normal people survive without constant oversight from Mom and Dad and how lonely it would be. Sometimes being "lonely" is the best thing ever b/c you can be you instead of meeting someone else's expectations 24/7. 

It's fine if a woman who is in her 30s wants to live with her parents. It's a society taboo in the United States, but in many other counties extended families live together happily for a lifetime. Grandparents, adults, young adults, teens, children, pets all live together in the same house, and they are happy. Don't judge others just because you think your way of doing things is normal. There are many roads to happiness. 

On the other hand this family is ruled my a man who wants to call all the shots and allows his children little freedom to make choices. That is not a good situation. BUT saying 30 (40, 50, etc) year old women/men living in the same family home together somehow makes them less is wrong.   

I'm a woman in my 30's (late) who still lives at home with my parents. However, I have been alone many times. This is my choice also do to my pet sitting clients if I would to move out I would have to stay local or I would have restart my business which I don't want to do. 

@GreenTea,  I agree with what you're saying about extended families living together, but these young (and approaching middle-age, in Sarah's case) have never been allowed to be alone at all.  They can't go to shops by themselves or spend a hour or two at the park or anything other than maybe baths and such.  Many of us would find that suffocating.

33 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@GreenTea,  I agree with what you're saying about extended families living together, but these young (and approaching middle-age, in Sarah's case) have never been allowed to be alone at all.  They can't go to shops by themselves or spend a hour or two at the park or anything other than maybe baths and such.  Many of us would find that suffocating.

They also don't have any friends outside the family. It's one thing to live in a multi-generational household, it's another thing all together when those are the only people you're allowed to interact with. Your friends are your family, you play at the park in your backyard, your schooling is done at home, you graduate and immediately begin working in the family business at home. You sleep in the same room and eat 3x a day at the same table with your immediate family members then get up and exercise together, and pray together, and work together. Wash rinse repeat forever.

Talk about suffocating...

• 2 weeks later...

I read the other day that over half of folks between 18 and 35 currently live with their parents, but that's mostly because of the economy. Most of them have been to college. Sarah's life gives me the willies. I can't imagine not having a few hours to myself just to think. 

2 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

I read the other day that over half of folks between 18 and 35 currently live with their parents, but that's mostly because of the economy. Most of them have been to college. Sarah's life gives me the willies. I can't imagine not having a few hours to myself just to think. 

Exactly, and they probably have some sort of life e.g. job/go out with friends/have a boyfriend/etc. Sarah has none of those things. So depressing. What a waste.

2 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

My son is one of that 'over half.' College degree'd and working on his master's, not enough $$ to move out on his own. But between school and work and church and whatever else, he's just not here that much. Lucky for him we're not Maxwellian parents. I can't even imagine. :pb_confused:

On 12/20/2016 at 5:14 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Jesus is Chuck Berry?

So, My Ding-A-Ling is hymn?  

Archived