IGNORED

Bill Gothard, Pt. 2: More & More Damning

FundieFarmer

On 1/20/2019 at 4:40 PM, formergothardite said:

And in another response to Gothard being pushed out of power. 

.In the face of pleas from major donor who actually donated a chunk of those millions to provide some of the properties they bought . . . To him? 

I'm not surprised the Greens decided to side with the creepy old man accused of preying on young teen girls. 

And from another comment about Bill not being allowed on the property. 

One that, BTW, the donor of the property had explicitly requested the BOD consider transferring to Bill and his new ministry. 

Oh and this.  No, Alfred.  The Greens sold Big Sandy to IBLP, not to Gothard.  

And I had not fully comprehended how far the Hobby Lobsters were up Gothard's rear end:

Big Sandy transferred to IBLP for $10.  All quotes from this 2014 article.  https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/hobby-lobby-bill-gothard-institute-basic-life-principles/

According to the 79-year-old Gothard, the Greens and Hobby Lobby—which this week won a landmark Supreme Court case with a decision ruling that the firm does not have to adhere to the Obamacare mandate requiring companies to cover contraception in their employee health plans—have supported the Institute in Basic Life Principles for 10 to 15 years, primarily by obtaining four or five facilities for the ministry. In 2001, the Greens, through a family trust, sold Gothard’s group a 2,250-acre campus in Big Sandy, Texas, for $10. The campus, which has a landing strip and aircraft hangar, now houses the Institute’s International ALERT Academy, a boot camp where young men train in disaster response techniques. The academy also runs a program for girls 15 and older. The website for that program notes that “skirts are required to encourage the girls to remain feminine in an active lifestyle.” The application—under the heading “mental health”—asks girls if they are struggling with “day dreaming,” “fantasy,” or “lustful thoughts.”

And the Little Rock building where Josh Duggar was sent to do hard labor and repent of the sin of molesting 5 minor girls.  Both the prison program, dear to Stephen Paine's heart and a police connection.

In 2000, Hobby Lobby donated a 529,717-square-foot building in Little Rock, Arkansas, to Gothard’s outfit. The company had purchased this property, a former Veterans Affairs building, two years earlier for $299,000. The Institute now runs a prison ministry out of this location, providing curriculum to a faith-based Arkansas Department of Corrections program known as Principles and Applications for Life. For about a decade, according to Gothard, the Institute leased the ground floor of the building for $1 per year to the Little Rock Police Department for use as its downtown station. Now, Gothard says, the police are paying a regular rental fee.

The Nashville building, home to Embassy Institute.  Sold to IBLP for another $10.

In Nashville, the Institute operates a training center in a former hospital that Gothard says Hobby Lobby purchased for his group. Public records show that in 2005 a corporation affiliated with Hobby Lobby sold the facility to the Institute for $10. The Nashville Business Journal reported that Hobby Lobby bought the building for $3.5 million. It currently houses the Embassy Institute, where the Institute in Basic Life Principles hosts many seminars.

And that rather nice property in New Zealand.  It really must have helped with the bottom line.

The Green family, according to Gothard, also “bought a training center in New Zealand and gave it to us.” He says that by providing the institute with these facilities, the Greens and their company “really helps with the bottom line.”

The Greens became involved with his ministry, Gothard says, after members of the family attended an Institute seminar. David Green, Hobby Lobby’s CEO, provided an endorsement for one of Gothard’s books that noted the impact the session had on his clan: “Through the example and teachings of Bill Gothard and the Institute in Basic Life Principles, we have benefited both as a family and in our business. It is as we take those lessons from God’s Word that Bill clearly articulates that we live the full life that God intends.”

Suckers.  It would be interesting to see whether any of these buildings are for sale today.

I also wonder how much land and cash Gothard got out of James Leininger.  He was apparently on the IBLP board at some point.  http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2014/03/iblp-leaders-followers-and-directors.html

And I'd forgotten Wes Cantrell is also a former member of the BoD, but he would prefer to think of it as an advisory board.  And he distanced himself faster than a rat leaping off a burning boat at the signs of trouble.  What an ass. 

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/media/Advisory-Board-Cantrell-Wes-1.9.14-Letter-and-Response.pdf 

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Thank You 8

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Wes Cantrell 

Bernadine Cantrell  came to give talks at EXCEL and was a total bitch. She would eat meals with different teams and spend the meal criticizing the girls at the table. People ended up in tears. The Cantrells are another example of fundies who don't exactly fit the frumper mold. 

She mentions her time at EXCEL on her page. 

Her broad range of experience enables her to create an immediate rapport with secular groups as well as Christians. She has been an EXCEL teacher for over 16 years … (an eight-week school for home educated young ladies from America and other countries). 

Interesting that Wes wanted the information destroyed. I'm not surprised. He wanted no evidence of his sins. 

Aren't they selling the New Zealand property? Or was that another place they decided to sell? 

Not directly about Gothard but when looking up Bernadine Cantrell I discovered the old article about how creepy EXCEL was to the locals. This was written right before the Bells took over. 

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/virgin-academy-6404353

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Aren't they selling the New Zealand property? Or was that another place they decided to sell? 

AFAIK - not the New Zealand property.  They just had a family conference there featuring our very own Gabe Cleator and his wife.  AKA  Howdy Dowdy.    https://ati.iblp.org.nz/

The Australian property was definitely put up for sale though.  Do we have FJ members in Melbourne to keep an eye on it?   https://www.realestate.com.au/news/controversial-american-religious-group-institute-in-basic-life-principles-selling-melbourne-base/

As for Bernadine - IBLP is still selling her crap: https://store.iblp.org/good-manners-are-a-sellable-skill.html

• Thank You 1

She was rude as hell. I learned no good manners from her. 

I wonder if the Greens really tried to give the properties to Gothard or if that is something he just made up. If they did, it shows how they viewed Gothard as being IBLP

I'm not sure who Rob War is but he had a good point. Alfred, of course, missed it. 

Yes, I don’t “personally” know Bill Gothard. However, you do have 2 regular and somewhat regular posters that have worked for Bill and have known him “personally” longer that you have and from both of their testimonies of their experiences with Bill, it is not that favorable. Likewise, the IBLP “personally” knows Bill, I think very well since they were put on the board by Bill as friends and this group that “personally” knows Bill called the police on him in Texas in order to remove him from the premise. And there are hundreds of comments and testimonies on a number of blogs of people that “personally” know Bill, have worked for Bill or were “counseled” by Bill and the end summation is that those that “personally ” know Bill other than yourself does not add up to a favorable picture of Bill.

Gothard has Alfred wrapped around his little finger. One of these days, though, if Gothard lives long enough, something will happend and he will turn on Alfred.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And I had not fully comprehended how far the Hobby Lobsters were up Gothard's rear end:

Ah, the godly Greens -- traffickers & smugglers of stolen goods. 

It makes sense that they would also finance shite like IBLP and a scammer like Bill Gothard. Hope they lost lots of money.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

It makes sense that they would also finance shite like IBLP and a scammer like Bill Gothard. Hope they lost lots of money.

They seem to have enough money to throw away.  And the deeper you dig into the Green family and what they fund through the Foundation the scarier it is.  BG and IBLP are small potatoes to the Greens.

11 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder if the Greens really tried to give the properties to Gothard or if that is something he just made up. If they did, it shows how they viewed Gothard as being IBLP

In that 2014 interview with Mother Jones, BG was trying to buy credibility by boasting about his connections to the Green family.  But the properties were transferred to IBLP the nonprofit not to Bill Gothard personally.  Alfred is claiming that the Greens asked the IBLP BoD to give BG the property as a moral obligation.  Why should IBLP do that -- they have no legal obligation.

I think BG pleaded with the Greens to help him.  Whether they even asked the BoD to do anything is debatable.  Alfred and BG could be making that up.  The Greens could just buy poor little hard done by BG a brand new building for his "new ministry" if they care so much about him. 

And Alfred says BG plans to live until he is 120.  Good luck with that, Bill. 

As for the Big Sandy property, it was poisoned cult ground even before IBLP.  The Green Foundation bailed out the scandal ridden Worldwide Church of God* when they bought the Big Sandy Ambassador University campus in the first place.  Then it was leased and finally "sold" for $10 to IBLP for ALERT.

*For those who don't know, WCG was another coercive cult.  It splintered into many different groups when the charismatic cult leader (Herbert Armstrong) kicked the bucket.  Some of the splinter groups returned to more mainstream Christianity and are almost respectable these days. 

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, formergothardite said:

Gothard has Alfred wrapped around his little finger. One of these days, though, if Gothard lives long enough, something will happend and he will turn on Alfred.

As long as Alfred continues to worship Gothard as a god-like figure, Gothard will have no reason to turn on Alfred.

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

i'm not sure if this is definitely her, but it looks like Lauren knows 'Katie Valenti Bradrick'- whose from 'The Return of the Daughters' by the Botkin sisters and Vision Forum!

Spoiler

img_7432.thumb.jpg.6be82447f636ee08fdbd8f87e52f0958.jpg

• 3 months later...

Anthony Padilla, a YouTuber who interviews niche group members (vsco girls, area 51 stormers, stunt actors, etc.) just released an interview with ex-cult members, including a woman who grew up in ATI/IBLP.

https://youtu.be/DrQG8jOXpM8

• Rufus Bless 1

2 hours ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

Anthony Padilla, a YouTuber who interviews niche group members (vsco girls, area 51 stormers, stunt actors, etc.) just released an interview with ex-cult members, including a woman who grew up in ATI/IBLP.

https://youtu.be/DrQG8jOXpM8

Omg he was part of smosh and made videos with Dan and Phil back in the day ? What a clash of worlds. Thanks I have to watch this now lol 

edit: ATI is like "fake news, the homeschool curriculum" wow this lady is nailing it lol. Also interesting how she said it was 10 years from 7-17, and described it as that crossroads of being able to remember real life but young enough to be completely gullible. That's such a wonderful description of so many people's experience. Fascinating. Great video, thank you ❤️

Edited by Coco
  • Upvote 1