IGNORED

More Bayly Babble - Why our sons are all gay!

watchdog

Rebekah is an interesting example, since she said basically said yes then went back and told her family she was getting married. She was far from a feminist example, but hers wasn't the modern "ask the father [or brother, in her case] first" kind of courtship.

I went to a wedding last weekend where the pastor told the bride to submit, which to him meant cooking and doing laundry. I'm not sure where that is in the Bible. To his credit, he talked about how that doesn't mean that she's a doormat and her opinion doesn't matter, and there was no "obey" in the vows, but his speech about submission still made me gag.

Where do you guys find these weddings where the brides promise to obey? I can't even... I can't imagine attending one. I know it happens w/ the fundies, but the idea of actually being at a wedding where that happens is so entirely out of my personal world, it's like... it's like hearing about a weird cultural tradition from a different country across the ocean. It's like... it's like... when I found out what haggis was and discovered people voluntarily eat it.

Where do you guys find these weddings where the brides promise to obey? I can't even... I can't imagine attending one. I know it happens w/ the fundies, but the idea of actually being at a wedding where that happens is so entirely out of my personal world, it's like... it's like hearing about a weird cultural tradition from a different country across the ocean. It's like... it's like... when I found out what haggis was and discovered people voluntarily eat it.

I dunno. My most conservative Christian friend got married 10 years ago, well before I was sensitized to fundieness and would have been listening for buzzwords, but I don't remember hearing anything wacky at her wedding. (But she and her family belong to an ordinary mainline church, and the wedding took place at their old ecumenical church. They just happen to be conservative people.) Anyway, point is, I don't know anyone who would've wanted or had "obey" and "submit" at their wedding.

Hey, I got married 34 years ago in what nearly all would call a fundy church (admittedly, fundy then didn't have the flavor of crazy that fundy has now-- or maybe it was fundy-lite-- it WAS a no-slacks-on-girls/women place), and "obey" was not in my vows. That topic was never even broached. Actually, come to think of it, many of the weddings in that church were "wrote my own vows" kinds of things. Maybe the pastor, in spite of his fundy-ness, actually respected people. Thinking back on it, I know he actually did...

As for the Baylys, STOOPID!!!eleventy eleven!!!

Huh. Better not tell my brother he's gay, he's 14 and still in his phase of "lookit me, I'm the manliest manly man that's ever manned! RAWR BOOBS." I think if I told him that, nope, he's gay, his brain might BSOD.

Archived