IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

My eyes are peeled and out on stalks in advance. Any sightings will be photographed and duly posted. I just need a gobsmacked kid to show me how. Am on it.

34 minutes ago, Lurky said:

@Gobsmacked I know some male Jodies - Jody seems to me to be a northern English men's name, guess as a shortening for Joseph, but most famous one I can think of is Paralympian Jody Cundy

Grew up in lanacashire, never heard of it, I do know a Jordie though. Short for Jordan.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-10-02 at 0:01 AM, Snarfblatt said:

They have three children: Autumn, Savannah and Jody Jr. 

When I followed the link from page one of this wonderfully entertaining thread, I read the bio on the left and thought their firstborn was named 'Anniversary'. I was entirely comfortable with that and not a little disappointed when I realized it was referring to their, well, anniversary.  

Thanks, everyone who has posted here. Great stuff!  

42 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Grew up in lanacashire, never heard of it, I do know a Jordie though. Short for Jordan.

Maybe NE then?  I've known Yorkshire Jody men (love the "Jody" sounds in a Yorkshire accent)

(I'm a bit geeky, so wiki-ed it - feels like Jody is often male spelling and Jodi/e women's - lots of wiki Jody men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_(given_name)

Wow! Jody's are like buses. Never see one then a whole herd turn up together!!

I may be wrong but I'm thinking it is possibly more of a Tyneside/ Newcastle name?

@Palimpsest Thanks so much for introducing us to this family!  I'm disappointed that there's no Maulucci updates, and the Irish one mentioned upthread are back in the UK, but do you have any more Vacationaries to Europe on your list?  I'd love to have a good snark this afternoon

@Gobsmacked I'm also wondering if it's a name from Irish communities in the UK maybe?  I think there are a load in Tyneside, too.

There's an Old Firm game on next Sunday. I wonder if they'll show up and try to preach to the football fans and run afoul of the sectarianism laws.

@Fascinated Hahaha, I told my partner it wasn't just her thinking Anniversary was the oldest child, & she's feeling vindicated!  But as she says, why didn't they just put "marriage date"?  Annivesary makes no sense in context!

I watched the "we got cash" video, and wow, he's like the most bad-stereotype of an American preacher, it's hilarious!  I'm laughing at how that accent is going to go across, because it's not gonna be the easiest to understand, but he's pretty much a cliché of a televangelist, only more unkempt.

I suspect that the Hodnett family are not going to enjoy the Edinburgh festival next summer!

Music, dancing, street theatre, piping, drums, drinking, eating ..... The list just goes on.  It's good fun. Edinburgh welcomes the world.

All those sinners! All visiting pagan witch filled Edinburgh.  Poor Jody's head will explode!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

I suspect that the Hodnett family are not going to enjoy the Edinburgh festival next summer!

Laughing uncontrollably at the idea of Jody Hodnett deciding to do street evangelism there, and getting either mistaken for an avant garde performance piece, or straight up bad comedy, or getting run out of town for hate speech - or attracting some kind of mime/impressionist riffing off him! 

I gather they are going to settle(!) in Glasgow. The video street scenes were all of Edinburgh,

Did they realise that or are they going to sneak into Edinburgh hoping no-one will notice?!!!!

Im totally seething at the patronising shite in that video. I turned the sound off and made it to the end.

Scotland is not Sodam and Gomorrah.  The sheer arrogance is breathtaking. I've been driven to alchohol, now drinking second glass of wine. Bible baptists, or what ever they call themselves are bad for the liver.

I feel sorry for anyone they try and engage in conversation on the plane and who then has to hear the long story of how they are going to convert the masses in Scotland to Christianity. 

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh fuck.  Sorry, Scotland.

I just realized Jabba the Missionary Hutt is on Twitter.

I wonder how long it will take them to realise that we do not care. I just don't see their brand of fundamentalism catching on.

I guess.

26 minutes ago, Snarfblatt said:

I feel sorry for anyone they try and engage in conversation on the plane and who then has to hear the long story of how they are going to convert the masses in Scotland to Christianity. 

If they do try to talk to someone, I hope it's a Glaswegian with brilliant Weegie humour. Jody will be rendered  speechless for the rest of the flight hopefully.

When the rain falls in Glasgow, it falls and then some!! Let's hope the family is welcomed by the Glasgow weather. It really can be Wet, Wet Wet!

I have a strong suspicion this will not end well for the Hodnetts. 

If they turn up preaching at the football, getting arrested is the best they can hope for! 

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

Laughing uncontrollably at the idea of Jody Hodnett deciding to do street evangelism there, and getting either mistaken for an avant garde performance piece, or straight up bad comedy, or getting run out of town for hate speech - or attracting some kind of mime/impressionist riffing off him! 

This is too funny!  Maybe they'll get a bit of spare change from people who think they are busking. Could be a career change when they realise they fucked up. 

Given how Trump was pwned over his idiotic Brexit comments, I have faith that Scotland will hand the Hodnetts' sorry asses back to them.

I'd just like for the Hodnetts to know it happened and that they're total fucking failures as missionaries.

Deportation for hate speech is a distinct possibility as well, considering what got Steve Anderson the Pissing Preacher banned from the UK.

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Given how Trump was pwned over his idiotic Brexit comments, I have faith that Scotland will hand the Hodnetts' sorry asses back to them.

I'd just like for the Hodnetts to know it happened and that they're total fucking failures as missionaries.

Deportation for hate speech is a distinct possibility as well, considering what got Steve Anderson the Pissing Preacher banned from the UK.

Oh? I missed this! What did PP do?

@alba General "kill all gays bullshittery" - check out this amazing thread:

and tons more in http://www.freejinger.org/forum/258-quiver-full-of-andersons-zsu-zsu-pp/

A great place to start is this BBC documentary (giving you the iPlayer link so it counts on their viewing stats)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p049v0dm/americas-hate-preachers

and an article by the film-maker:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/2e465c60-cdd3-48f5-8944-e9b2786e3ce9

& the thread about it:

On 10/16/2016 at 11:06 AM, Lurky said:

Thanks so much for introducing us to this family!  I'm disappointed that there's no Maulucci updates, and the Irish one mentioned upthread are back in the UK, but do you have any more Vacationaries to Europe on your list?  I'd love to have a good snark this afternoon

You are very welcome.  I used to have a list but I lost all my missionaries to Europe bookmarks in a dramatic computer crash a year or so ago.  I need to try to find some of their links again.  Sorry.

20 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

I'm not on Twitter, have the Hodnett geniuses arrived yet?

They must have done.  No updates from Scotland as yet on Twitter*, but Jody has put another video on Facebook.  He is at the Atlanta airport saying farewell to Georgia as the family embarks on this hazardous mission.   https://www.facebook.com/jody.hodnett?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Brace yourselves.  He rambles incessantly - and thanks God and everyone he has ever met in a manner worthy of accepting an Oscar - and then turns into a "blubbering mess." His words.

*I'm not on Twitter either but I can see posts there.  He's @Jody_Hodnett.

That didn't take long.

The sun shining through the airport windows was a tad blinding. 

Jody reminds me of John boy. Just a bigger, dirty looking version. What's with the scruffy beard thing hanging from his chin?

I have to be truthful and say that he is the sort of individual I would try to avoid sitting next to on public transport and would definately shuffle away from if he was standing in a shop queue next to me.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived