IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

This family doesn't seem to understand that Scotland is post-Christian, not completely unchurched, meaning that Scots know who Christ is and what Christianity is about, and are tired of it. That's not the same as a culture that has never heart of Christianity (and at this point, how many cultures are left that have no knowledge whatsoever of Christianity?). Maybe some European FJers will have some more insight on this, but it's my impression that Europeans in general find the kind of noisy piety especially exemplified among IFBs to be alternately hilarious and embarrassing. The IFB style of soul winning may work with people like a young Michelle Duggar, who lived in a culture where that kind of religious rhetoric is the norm, but not in Scotland.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This family doesn't seem to understand that Scotland is post-Christian, not completely unchurched, meaning that Scots know who Christ is and what Christianity is about, and are tired of it. That's not the same as a culture that has never heart of Christianity (and at this point, how many cultures are left that have no knowledge whatsoever of Christianity?). Maybe some European FJers will have some more insight on this, but it's my impression that Europeans in general find the kind of noisy piety especially exemplified among IFBs to be alternately hilarious and embarrassing. The IFB style of soul winning may work with people like a young Michelle Duggar, who lived in a culture where that kind of religious rhetoric is the norm, but not in Scotland.

One doesn't discuss one's religious beliefs in mixed company, you know. Or, in Glasgow and Northern Ireland's case to various degrees in the last 40 years, interact at all with those belonging to another denomination.

Of course, it's not really like that now :D

But yes, as a general rule religion is regarded as a private thing and people (in Scotland, anyway) tend not to gush about it around acquaintances.

3 hours ago, calimojo said:

It is amazing how God lays it upon these people and part of that includes begging for money.  I find it so incredible that God is always telling people to do things that often coincide with doing things they wanted to do anyway.   

And it is also interesting that God doesn't seem to lead these people to real jobs to pay their own way in life.

Apparently God has a real vested interest in his chosen few begging money from others.  Interesting.  Perhaps if my religious upbringing had focused on how if I listened really hard God would tell me to move to the French Riviera and start a go fund me page so others would pay for it, I might have stuck around while longer.

Good point. I'm really agnostic but whenever God lays stuff on my heart it almost always takes me out of my comfort zone and involves reaching out to people I don't want to or apologizing and crap like that. Fuck that shit. Where do I sign up for a free world tour? I don't want to be tied down to any specific continent.

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I expect the strategy is that he'll be handing out tracts about the evils of alcohol in front of Tesco in the St. Enoch Centre once a week.  If the police move him on he'll try Boots or BHS the following week.  Then he'll move on to Debenham's or M & S.

Most of the time they will be taking mission trips to the bush all over the British Isles.  One missionary family (I forget the name) has been busily converting the Brits from Land's End to John O'Groats with stops at all the tourist meccas on the way.  

It's a hard life.

Lochaber no more 

Sutherland no more

Lewis no more , Skye no more 

Linwood no more

BHS no moooorrrrre.

Sadly. I loved that shop. Great for cuddly winter Jammies.

8 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

BHS no moooorrrrre.

Sadly. I loved that shop. Great for cuddly winter Jammies.

Fuck!  It closed today!

Don't talk to me.  I'm still mourning Lyons Tea shops, John Barnes and Swan and Edgar.

I'm old.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Statistics? Budgets? Accountability?  Get thee behind me, Satan!  

Success is what they say it is.  These people don't crunch no stinkin' numbers.

I've never been involved with a church that funded these IFB fake missionaries (thank the FSM) but I got a real education reading and participating in the John Shrader threads.   He is a genius at this skulduggery and infuriates me as a former (medical) missionary kid.  

I truly recommend that rabbit hole and will ready a few rescue ferrets for you. John Shrader, missionary to Zambia, and Beyond is also the worst missionary ever.  

Basically, they persuade their local church to sponsor them (the sending church) and go on the road on Deputation for a couple of years with a video like the one posted here.  They preach at churches, have dinner with the pastor, and ask for a regular commitment to fund their mission to church plant.  They channel the cash through a clearing house to get non-profit status and Bob's your uncle.  The Sending Church is supposed to keep them accountable but they are rarely withdrawn or disciplined as far as I can see.  

Some (a few) of these missionaries may actually have something to offer the locals in developing countries in the way of education or material support.  The vast majority seem to have no skills or education other than their self-proclaimed hot-line to Jesus.  

They are leeches on the backside of the universe.  It is funny to think of them trying to convert the heathen, and resilient, Scots but they can do actual damage in some countries. 

Leeches on the back side of the universe!!

just has to be a thread title!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

And carpet warehouses.:chores-vacuum:

Sorry the quote didn't work. Now it's really messed up. Help!

It was in reference to a comment about empty churches being sold and put to other uses such as pubs and clubs.

They may arrive in time for the first rangers and celtic game. I hope they don't find out what a Glasgow kiss is.

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

(Snip) 

(And as my partner says, referring to Londonderry, rather than Derry, is a great start in trying to convert Catholics...)

Actually no one out side of the city really cares what it's called. The Derry/Londonderry thing started during the troubles within the city. Before that it was mostly known as Derry as it says in the city's charter that Derry is the term of endearment for the city. 

Other than really hardliners and some within the city no one actually minds about which name you call it 

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Some (a few) of these missionaries may actually have something to offer the locals in developing countries in the way of education or material support.  The vast majority seem to have no skills or education other than their self-proclaimed hot-line to Jesus.  

They are leeches on the backside of the universe.  It is funny to think of them trying to convert the heathen, and resilient, Scots but they can do actual damage in some countries. 

I generally consider missionaries who do little but tout their "hotline to Jesus" as committing cultural genocide, especially in third-world countries.

Hey, maybe they'll head over to St Andrews and try to convert those heathen students:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34313750

16 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Good luck with that in Glasgow!!! Just don't do it on a football match day!

My aunt goes to the football in Glasgow. My ex-police officer, highly opinionated aunt. Unfortunately, she also has a very strong southwest accent so the Hodnetts probably wouldn't understand her if they ran into her and she told them where to shove it.

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember a comic when I was a kid in England called the Broons or something. My cousin said I'd never be able to understand it, so of course I ploughed through it just to show him. Written in a really thick brogue. Good luk Hodnetts, you have no idea what you're in for. And yes, I'd be willing to bet that almost all of the people there know about Jesus, even if they choose not to believe.

OMG I LOVED The Broons! My uncle used to work at DC Thomson, so we knew all the comics growing up; my cousins had a huge stack of Broons and Oor Wullie annuals from before I was born XD

9 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Yeah, Brits in general don't really talk about religion in polite company, and I think that's even more the case in Scotland than down south; David Cameron used to make Easter speeches about 'Christian values' that got some side-eye up here (although that could just be because no one likes the Tories north of the border).

I wish I had a front row seat to watch these assholes preach to the Scots! Especially if they go out into the more suburban areas like Motherwell, East Kilbride, Easterhouse etc where I don't think they will be able to understand 95% of what the locals say, that is if they don't get physically threatened first.

Oh I cannae wait until someone calls Mr. Hodgett a "silly wee c*nt." LMFAO

If they go out and try to save souls on a Rangers/Celtic match day they better wear their trainers as they may need to run for their own lives.

As an aside, I too loved the public domain clip art of a child picking out a bottle of booze. However that is totally inaccurate to Glasgow as that wean would be picking bottle of Bucky instead lol.

19 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

BAHAHAHA out of a country of 5.3 million?  Do they imagine the Scots don't have access to TV, movies, radio, books, or even churches? 

I'm just imagining all the haggis-eating savages, puzzled looks upon their faces as they head to the chippy or the pub, "Who's this Jesus fella?  Never heard of him."

*giggling hysterically*

This reminded me of an encounter I had a week or so ago - I was walking up a busy road, when an American Preacher stopped me to talk about the word.  I said no and walked on, and he called after me "Do you want to meet up later to talk about God?"

Um....NOPE, dude.  Leave me the hell alone.

For bonus points: any FJers see that video of the preacher being roasted a homeless man in Glasgow?  I think it was the same preacher :GPn0zNK:

ETA: yes, Scotland and Glasgow have their problems, but they aren't going to be solved by a bunch of arrogant numpties coming over to preach at us!  They don't love other people - they love themselves!

Oh good, just what we need, more moronic missionaries trying to convert our heathen selfs. Love the numbers of children who don't know God and stuff, I wonder who that person is that comes to my child's school with a dog collar on once a month to talk about some dude called Jesus. They won't last a week on the streets of Glasgow, although that might be a generous estimate, they will have their arse handed to them on a plate and it won't be pretty. 

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Basically, they persuade their local church to sponsor them (the sending church) and go on the road on Deputation for a couple of years with a video like the one posted here.  They preach at churches, have dinner with the pastor, and ask for a regular commitment to fund their mission to church plant.  They channel the cash through a clearing house to get non-profit status and Bob's your uncle.  The Sending Church is supposed to keep them accountable but they are rarely withdrawn or disciplined as far as I can see.  

Thanks for the answer, @Palimpsest!

I can kind of see how they get the initial cash as a start-up, with apocalyptic videos, and exploiting stories of children committing suicide, scary Muslims and so on - but what happens next?  I am a Rodriguez obsessive, and one thing Jill R does (or did before the MLM obsession) was make it seem like they are doing things (nebulous things, no actual conversions, but there's enough in her newsletters to distract attention) - but the McKinleys are putting out videos and newsletters that pretty much say they haven't converted a single person (or done anything useful) and John Shrader's on what, 4 conversions that have stuck?  Don't the sending churches want more than that?  Or is it seen as ungodly to question what's done with the money once it's given? 

I am grateful Glasgow is at the other end of the U.K. However, there is a fair chance that their botties will be kicked so hard when they start on the Glaswegians that they will end up landing in London. 

It is a shame they missed the Edinburgh festival. Jokes included "I often confuse Americans and Canadians. I just use a lot of long words."

12 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Actually no one out side of the city really cares what it's called. The Derry/Londonderry thing started during the troubles within the city. Before that it was mostly known as Derry as it says in the city's charter that Derry is the term of endearment for the city. 

Other than really hardliners and some within the city no one actually minds about which name you call it 

I did notice and wonder why she called it Londonderry, whether she made a decision to use that name or was unaware of any cultural significance. She was just trying to say from one end of the island to the other, so she could have done it without mentioning "stroke city" at all.

In the republic it is always called Derry by everyone and in official news, media etc. So people would not mind but would be likely to notice it being referred to as Londonderry. 

23 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I still can't believing this is a thing.  I'm feeling a calling to spread the word in London.  If someone could pay for everything for me, I'd spread the word of Jesus real good. :P

I think we should all just go on a vacation  missionary trip to Europe.  We would go on a  wine tour in Italy, France and Germany (and of course preach to all the evil heathens who are drinking.  We won't really drink (snort), will just use those tours for winning souls.  And we can go on a whiskey tour in Scotland (okay, that may be a problem for me.  We'll just have to bless the whiskey so it's "holy").  Think of all the heathens we can save. 

I'm happy to donate money so they may try King Rib lol.

Seriously BHS on Sauchie Hall street closed? That was the last outing DH and I had with his gran before she had to go to the nursing home :-(

One of my all-time favorite Glaswegian moments was the attempted terrorist attack on the airport. After the car driven by the terrorists crashed into the airport barricades and subsequently caught fire John Smeaton and several other men RUSHED to the now flaming car, pulled the terrorists out and proceeded to beat the living shit out of the FLAMING TERRORISTS. I would love John Smeaton to send a video to the Hodnetts saying "come to Glasgow we'll set about ye."

https://youtu.be/7gMJBQoHJ4E

Sorry Peas n Carrots, BHS went into administration due to very shady dealings by Sir Philip Green and his cohorts. It will be sadly missed.

11,000 people unemployed. £millions taken from the pension fund. 

Yeah, their video totally doesn't reek of desperation to have a nice long, judgmental vacation through the British Isles paid for by other people. :pb_rollseyes: I would say I'm jealous I didn't think of a tactic like this to fund the Scotland trip I've always wanted to take, but then I realize I'd feel waaaaaay too scummy doing something like that! 

19 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This family doesn't seem to understand that Scotland is post-Christian, not completely unchurched, meaning that Scots know who Christ is and what Christianity is about, and are tired of it. That's not the same as a culture that has never heart of Christianity (and at this point, how many cultures are left that have no knowledge whatsoever of Christianity?).

I'm sure the thinking is that the Scots just haven't been introduced to the right type of Christianity yet. 

And I'm convinced the whole idea of cultures that haven't heard the Gospel is really just a euphemism for groups of people who haven't been extensively targeted to scare them into adopting whatever particular branch of Christianity that a "missionary" group preaches. 

I would love to know what the relatives of the people used in this crapfest think.

Awful that they feel the need to abuse the memory of minors who committed suicide to push their bull shit agenda.

39 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

I would love to know what the relatives of the people used in this crapfest think.

Awful that they feel the need to abuse the memory of minors who committed suicide to push their bull shit agenda.

Right?!

I still can't work out how Tressa Middleton's actions are evidence of any kind of sin on her part. She was raped by her brother and gave the child up for adoption because she couldn't care for it. Isn't that exactly what fundies say rape survivors should do?

47 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

I wondered that after seeing the horror film music video. Deputation video. :puke-front:

Would permission have to be asked from the families? I'm not sure of copyright laws etc at all.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived