IGNORED

Fundyisms: Earth is flat and how old?

CyborgKin

Wouldn't this affect air travel? I mean, if they've got Asia on one side of the world and Europe on the other, wouldn't you have to travel clear across the world, crossing the Americas and the oceans, to get from one to the other? Instead of just continuing on around the globe? If the world is flat at some point there is a cut off where you'd have to turn around and cross back over the entire world to get to the other side...

also thought it was amusing to see many people saying "ball....Baal" like obvs, the ball shape is a deception of the devil. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Wouldn't this affect air travel? I mean, if they've got Asia on one side of the world and Europe on the other, wouldn't you have to travel clear across the world, crossing the Americas and the oceans, to get from one to the other? Instead of just continuing on around the globe? If the world is flat at some point there is a cut off where you'd have to turn around and cross back over the entire world to get to the other side...

also thought it was amusing to see many people saying "ball....Baal" like obvs, the ball shape is a deception of the devil. 

From my brief trip down the rabbit hole of Flerfer forums, they believe all long-distance pilots are in on the conspiracy and swear an oath to not reveal their true flight patterns. 

Which begs the question, who is instituting this oath? And why? Who is gaining what by convincing everyone the earth is flat?

24 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

From my brief trip down the rabbit hole of Flerfer forums, they believe all long-distance pilots are in on the conspiracy and swear an oath to not reveal their true flight patterns. 

Which begs the question, who is instituting this oath? And why? Who is gaining what by convincing everyone the earth is flat?

But wouldn't this pilots' conspiracy involve missionary pilots of the sort that work for SOS and other Duggar endorsed ministries, whom we can  safely assume are YEC? A YEC missionary pilot would hardly want to be involved in an "unbiblical" conspiracy to hide the "biblical truth" about anything.

8 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

But wouldn't this pilots' conspiracy involve missionary pilots of the sort that work for SOS and other Duggar endorsed ministries, whom we can  safely assume are YEC? A YEC missionary pilot would hardly want to be involved in an "unbiblical" conspiracy to hide the "biblical truth" about anything.

They're not true Christians? Some sort of fifth column that has invaded the honest missionary intentions of the SOS? 

10 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Seriously, dark people on northern spain?

I don't know the Spanish Pyrénées well, but I've never seen a light-skinned person native to the French Pyrénées. Dark hair, brown eyes all around.

On 9/24/2016 at 3:43 PM, raised in rebellion said:

Also absurd, and incredibly sad. There are civilizations we can easily trace back 12,000 years, and not through carbon dating (accuracy of this method seems to be a major point of contention). Just the layers, and understanding how the planet's ecosystem works...YEC is yuk. This is how ppl justify raping the planet. 

My grandmother honestly believes god put oil on the planet so our cars would run real good...

We can't change the way we take care of the planet if we don't understand it. Refusing to believe facts because it interferes with your opinions is ludicrous. Instilling ignorance and false belief systems, whilst insisting in blind obedience? That's criminal. And is also what leads to periods of 'dark ages'. 

But... something about how the layers don't have date labels on them... and fossils are evidence of rapid burial... and polystrate fossils prove the layers were all formed in one event and... something about helium difusion from zircon crystals... did anyone get bingo yet? :P

There's people out there who think/claim the dark ages were caused by... the muslims!  As they're to blame for slavery, and holy war, and anti-semitism...

Thanks Obama!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to doublepost, but I found a new creationist anti-flat-earth video.

But if you want to talk about something far out they do believe, try "dragons are dinosaurs" on for size.

I have a memory of reading in a Christian earth science book about how the concept of dragons was based off people seeing dinosaurs. The book had a little side story with a picture showing a guy from the early medieval period stumbling upon a dinosaur in the woods. I'm not sure if it stated or just implied that dinosaurs were still alive that long, but I thought for years dinosaurs were still wandering around during medieval times. 

YEC can really fuck up your understanding of the world. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I had an English teacher in high school that was adamant that the earth was flat.  She taught this in English class.  She also could not figure out why people laughed at her over this.  I graduated high school 22 years ago and I still remember this teacher's name.  At least she wasn't teaching science.

Archived